A man I knew lost the sight in one eye through getting a bit of grit in it.
– 胡说八道,胡说八道 – 好点了吗
– Nasty, very nasty. – Better?
– 恐怕还没有 – 我能帮你吗
– I’m afraid not. Ooh. – Can I help you?
不,不用了,只是有些东西在我的眼睛里
Oh, no, please, it’s only something in my eye.
– 你的眼睛尽量往下看 – 然后皱起你的鼻子
– Try pulling your eyelid down as far as it’ll go. – And then blowing your nose.
– 让我看看,我是个医生 – 你真好
– Please let me look. I happen to be a doctor. – It’s very kind of you.
对着那个灯
Turn around to the light, please.
现在往上看
Now look up.
向下看
Now look down.
不要动,我看到了
Keep still. I see it.
– 就是 – 这里真轻松,刚刚真的很痛苦
– There. – Oh, what a relief. It was agonizing.
– 看上去好像是粗砂 – 快车过来了,真的很谢谢你
– It looks like a bit of grit. – The express went through. Thank you very much, indeed.
– 我们要走了,我必须跑了 – 你在这里我真的很幸运
– There we go. I must run. – How lucky for me you happened to be here.
– 谁都会这么做的,没有关系 – 是你做的,我真的很感激你
– Anybody could’ve done it. – Never mind, you did, and I’m most grateful.
– 那是我的火车,我要走了,再见 – 再见
– There’s my train. I must go. Good-bye. – Good-bye.
然后一切就开始了
That’s how it all began…
就是在我眼睛里有粗砂开始
just through me getting a little piece of grit in my eye.
我很快就忘记这件事情了,它和我完全没有什么关系
I completely forgot the whole incident. It didn’t mean anything to me at all…
至少我是这样想的
at least I didn’t think it did.
在下个星期四,我和以往一样又来到了米尔福德
The next Thursday I went into Milford again, as usual.
我和布茨换了本书
I changed my book at Boots.
路易斯小姐最终拿了新的一本书给我
Miss Lewis had at last managed to get the new Kate O’Brien for me.
我相信她偷偷的放在柜台下面至少两天了
I believe she’d kept it hidden under the counter for two days.
我出去的时候,我给孩子们买♥♥了两支新的牙刷
On the way out, I bought two new toothbrushes for the children.
我比较喜欢药剂师店里的味道
I like the smell of a chemist’s better than any other shop.
那是很多好东西的混合,香草香水还有肥皂
It’s such a mixture of nice things… herbs and scent and soap.
那个恶心的勒维斯夫人在柜台的另一边
That awful Mrs. Leftwich was at the other end of the counter…
戴着我见过的最傻的帽子
Wearing one of the silliest hats I’ve ever seen.
幸运的,她没有看到我,我刚刚偷偷的溜了出来
Fortunately, she didn’t look up, so I got out without her buttonholing me.
正当我踏上马路的时候
Just as I stepped out onto the pavement…
– 早上好,眼睛怎么样了 – 哦,早上好
– Good morning. How’s the eye? – Oh, Good morning.
已经很好了,真的很麻烦你了
Perfectly all right. How kind it was of you to take so much trouble.
– 没有什么,我想已经好很多了吧 – 是的很好了
– It was nothing at all. It’s clearing up I think. – Yes, it’s going to be nice.
– 好的,我必须去医院了 – 我要到杂货店
– Well, I must be getting along to the hospital. – And I to the grocers.
– 我们的生活真的很精彩,是吗?再见 – 再见
– What exciting lives we lead, don’t we? Good-bye. – Good-bye.
那个晚上我必须一直跑到车站
That evening I had to run nearly all the way to the station.
我曾经去过神帕拉斯的神像,那真的是件可怕的事情
I’d been to the Palladium, as usual, but it was a terribly long film.
我很担心我会迟到了
I was afraid I’d be late.
当我到的时候,科列尔的火车刚刚开走
As I came up onto the platform, the Churley train was just puffing out.
我很无聊的看着窗外的东西,想着看能不能看见他
I looked up idly as the windows of the carriages went by, wondering if he was there.
我记得我那时这样想过,但是那已经很不重要了
I remember this crossing my mind but it was quite unimportant.
我已经开始想其他的事情了
I was really thinking of other things.
给你的生日礼物让我想的更多
The present for your birthday was worrying me rather.
它真的很贵,我知道你想要
It was terribly expensive, but I knew you wanted it,
然后我赌了,我把钱押在
and I sort of half taken the plunge and left a deposit on it…
直到下个星期四
at Spink and Robson’s until the next Thursday,
下一个的星期四
the next Thursday.
是的,我想你会很高兴的,所以我就买♥♥了
Well, I squared my conscience by thinking how pleased you would be and bought it.
– 是的,我很喜欢 – 谢谢你
– Yes, I’ll have it. – Thank you, madam.
真的,很浪费,但是犯罪了
It was wildly extravagant, I know, but having committed the crime,
我忽然觉得太粗鲁了
I suddenly felt reckless and gay.
太阳出来了,在街上的每个人看起来比平常更加的开心
The sun was out, and everybody in the street looked more cheerful than usual,
还有在哈里斯的旁边的一个角落里还有风琴
and there was a barrel organ at the corner by Harris’s,
而且你知道我是多么的喜欢风琴的
and you know how I love barrel organs.
它正在演奏让这个伟大的世界继续转动
It was playing “Let the Great Big World Keep Turning,”
然后我给那个人六便士,然后去卡达玛吃午饭
and I gave the man sixpence and went to the Kardomah for lunch.
里面很多人,当我进去的时候,有两个人差不多就要走了
It was very full, but two people had got up from the tablejust as I had come in.
我想是有点运气,不是吗?
That was a bit of luck, wasn’t it? Or was it?
我刚点好菜我看到他进来了
Just after I had given my order, I saw him come in.
他看起来有点累,我是这样想的,他也没有其他的地方坐了
He looked a little tired, I thought, and there was nowhere for him to sit,
– 所以我笑着说 – 早上好
– so I smiled and said… – Good morning.
– 早上好你一个人吗? – 是的
– Oh, good morning. Are you all alone? – Yes, I am.
– 好多人,我能不能坐在你的旁边 – 不,当然不
– Would you mind if I shared your table? It’s very full. – No, of course not.
我想我们还没有好好的介绍下,我的名字是亚历克·哈威
I’m afraid we haven’t been introduced properly. My name’s Alec Harvey.
你好,我是萝拉杰森
How do you do? Mine’s Laura Jesson.
– 夫人还是小姐? – 夫人
– Mrs. Or Miss? – Mrs.
– 你是个医生吗?我还记得你那天在饮食店说的 – 是的
– You’re a doctor, aren’t you? I remember you said so that day in the refreshment room. – Yes.
不是很有意思的,只是个普通的医生,我在科列尔开业
Not a very interesting one. Just an ordinary G.P. My practice is in Churley.
– 是吗?先生打扰你一下 – 你要什么?
– Yes, sir? Excuse me, sir? – What did you plump for?
汤还有点油炸的
Um, the soup and fried sole.
– 是的,我也来一样的 – 要喝什么吗
– Yes, I’ll have the same. – Anything to drink?
不,谢谢,那你还需要点什么喝的吗
No, thank you. That is, would you like anything to drink?
– 不,谢谢,水就行了 – 来杯水
– No, thank you. Just plain water. – Plain water, please.
你只是看大提琴演奏家的吗?
Will you just look at the cellist?
那真的很讨厌,不是吗?
It really is dreadful, isn’t it?
但是我们不应该笑的,他们可能看得到
But we oughtn’t laugh. They might see.
社会上应该保护不要让乐器这样受摧残
There should be a society for the prevention of cruelty to musical instruments.
– 你不弹钢琴吗?我希望 – 我必须像个小孩了
– You don’t play the piano, I hope? – I was forced to as a child.
– 你没有保持练习吗? – 不,我的丈夫喜欢音乐
– You haven’t kept it up? – No, my husband isn’t musical at all.
– 对他很好 – 你可能知道,我很有这方面的才华的
– Good for him. – For all you know, I might have a tremendous burning talent.
– 哦,亲爱的,不 – 为什么?你这么肯定?
– Oh, dear, no. – Why are you so sure?
你并不是很复杂
You’re too sane and uncomplicated.
我想不复杂是个好事情,但是听起来有点无趣
I suppose it’s a good thing to be uncomplicated but it does sound a little dull.
你不会无趣
You could never be dull.
– 你每个星期四都来吗? – 是的,去医院
– Do you come here every Thursday? – Yes, to spend a day at hospital.
斯蒂芬·林恩这里的内科医生,和我一起毕业的
Stephen Lynn, the chief physician here graduated with me.
我每个星期代替他一次,让他有时间去伦敦
I take over from him once a week. Gives him a chance to go to London.
– 给我一个机会研究医院里的病人 – 我明白
– Gives me a chance to study the hospital patients. – I see.
– 是吗? – 什么
– Do you? – Do I what?
– 每个星期四来这里? – 是的,买♥♥点东西,谢谢
– Come here every Thursday? – Yes, I do the week’s shopping. Thank you.
换换我的书,吃个午饭,还有去看看电影
Change my library book, have lunch and generally go to the pictures.
不是很有趣的程式,但是它会改变的
Not a very exciting routine, but it makes a change.
– 今天下午你要不要去看电影? – 当然
– Are you going to the pictures this afternoon? – Yes.
真的很好,我也是
How extraordinary. So am I.
我想你可能要整天呆在医院里
I thought you had to spend all day at the hospital.
好的,我告诉你个秘密,我今天早上不小心杀了两个病人
Well, between ourselves, I killed two patients by accident this morning.
护士长对我很不满意,我不怕要回去
The matron’s very displeased with me. I simply daren’t go back.
– 你怎么会这么不小心 – 其实,今天我是把我的工作都做好了
– How can you be so silly? – Seriously, I did get through most of my work this morning.
如果我要逃避也没有什么关系,我可以和你一起去吗
It won’t matter at all if I play truant. Would you mind if I came with you?
– 好的,我 – 我能够坐楼下,你坐楼上
– Well, l… – I could sit downstairs, and you could sit upstairs.
楼上很贵的
Upstairs is too expensive.
乐队忽然的停下来了
The orchestra stopped as abruptly as it had started,
然后我们又开始笑
and we began to laugh again.
我没有任何的征兆,我想我应该有的
I had no premonitions, although I suppose I should have had.
一切看起来是那么的自然
It all seemed so natural and so innocent.
我们吃完午饭,那个白♥痴♥的服务员把我们的钱算在一起了
We finished lunch, and that idiot of a waitress had put the bill all on one.
– 我真的应该坚持的 – 但是我不能
– I really must insist. – I couldn’t possibly.
要你陪着我应该我来付了
Having forced my company on you, it’s only fair I pay.
请不要坚持,我们还是平分吧
Please, don’t insist. I should so much rather we halved it.
– 我觉得就这样 – 我应该温和的让步了
– I would really, please. – I shall give in gracefully.
我们平均给了,连小费也是
We halved it meticulously. We even halved the tip.
谢谢你
Thank you.
我们有两个选择:是在主教的宫殿里相爱
We have two choices: The Loves of Cardinal Richelieu at the Palace…
– 或者在神帕拉斯的神像那里相爱 – 你真的很博学
– or Love in a Mist at the Palladium. – You’re very knowledgeable.
在买♥♥票的时候我们都没有争吵,各人付自己的
There must be no argument about buying the tickets. We each pay for ourselves.
你可能想我是个穷医生,连十九便士也付不起
You must think me a poor doctor if I can’t afford a couple of one-and-ninepennies.
– 我坚持 – 我想你会招待我的
– I insist. – I hoped you were going to treat me.
– 是哪里?宫殿还是神帕拉斯的神像? – 神帕拉斯的神像
– Which is it: Palace or Palladium? – Palladium.
我很讨厌在蒸气船上
I was once very sick on a channel steamer called Cardinal Richelieu.
打扰下
Excuse me.
坐在这里让我觉得很不舒服,我觉得你真的是太浪费了
I feel awfully grand perched up here. It was very extravagant of you.
– 这是个伟大的胜利 – 你有没有觉得心虚?我心虚
– It was a famous victory. – Do you feel guilty as all? I do.
– 心虚? – 你应该比我更加这样,你忽视了你的工作
– Guilty? – You ought to more than me. You neglected your work.
我今天早上工作,一个小小的休息不会给任何造成伤害的
I worked this morning. A little relaxation never did harm to anyone.
为什么我们两个都要觉得有罪?
Why should either of us feel guilty?
– 我不知道 – 你真的很好
– I don’t know. – How awfully nice you are.
并不是这样
It can’t be.
是的
It is.
我们一起走回车站
We walked back to the station together.
当我到门的时候,他把手放到我的肩膀下
Just as we reached the gates, he put his hand under my arm.
那时我没有注意到,但是我现在记起来了

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!