– I must go. Good-bye. – Yes, you must.
再见
Good-bye.
我好像感觉到他的手在我的肩膀上放了好一会
I felt the touch of his hand on my shoulder for a moment,
然后他就走了
and then he walked away…
走开了,永远的离开了我的生活
away, out of my life forever.
我刚好能够赶上车
He’s got to get right over to the other platform.
说到错过车了,让我想起了在博翰交汇处那座恐怖的桥
Talking of missing trains reminds me of that awful bridge at Broadham Junction.
多利仍然在不停的说话,但是我一点也没有听她说什么
Dolly still went on talking, but I wasn’t listening to her.
我在等他开火车的声音
I was listening for the sound of his train starting.
之后就开始了
Then it did.
我对自己说他还没有走
I said to myself, “He didn’t go.
在最后的时间里,他没有勇气了,他一定没有走
“At the last minute his courage failed him. He couldn’t have gone.
很快他就会回到这间饮食店,假装忘记了一些东西
Any minute he’ll come back into the refreshment room pretending he’s forgotten something.”
我想他会这样做
I prayed for him to do that,
这样我就能够再看他一次了
just so that I could see him again for an instant.
但是时间过得很快
But the minutes went by.
是那辆车吗?你能告诉那是到凯特沃斯的火车吗?
Is that the train? Oh, can you tell me, is that the ketchworth train?
– 不,那是快车 – 普通的车
– No, it’s the express. – The boat train.
它不停的,是吗?
That doesn’t stop, does it?
– 我想要巧克力 – 牛奶的还是普通的?
– I want some chocolate, please. – Milk or plain?
我就做的,佛瑞德,我真的想做的
I meant to do it, Fred. I really meant to do it.
我站在边缘不停的发抖
I stood there trembling right on the edge,
但是我不可以
but I couldn’t.
我没有什么胆量
I wasn’t brave enough.
我想说,是因为想到你还有孩子让我没有那样做
I’d like to say it was the thought of you and the children that prevented me,
不是真的
but it wasn’t.
我没什么要想的
I had no thoughts at all,
什么也不想
only an overwhelming desire not to feel anything ever again,
我现也不想活得不开心
not to be unhappy anymore.
我转身
I turned…
然后回到餐馆
and went back into the refreshment room.
那是我真的觉得很累
That’s when I nearly fainted.
萝拉
Laura.
有事吗,亲爱的?
Yes, dear?
不管你将来要做什么,你不是很开心吗
Whatever your dream was, it wasn’t a very happy one, was it?
不是这样的
No.
我可以为你做点什么吗
Is there anything I can do to help?
是的,佛瑞德,你一直帮助了我很多
Yes, Fred. You always help.
你一向就是这样的
You’ve been a long way away.
没错
Yes.
谢谢你又回到我的身边
Thank you for coming back to me.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!