I’ve given him a little sedative, and I shall advise…
让他在家里呆几天
keeping him at home for a couple of days.
肯定是有点撞伤的了
It must have been a bit of a shock…
我觉得真的很害怕,佛瑞德,看看他躺在那里
I felt so dreadful, Fred, looking at him, lying there…
头上缠着绷带
with that bandage round his head.
我试着不去想它,但是内心里却是歇斯底里
I tried not to show it, but I was quite hysterical inside,
好像整件事情都是我的错一样
as though the whole thing were my fault…
一种惩罚恐怖底险恶的警告
a sort of punishment, an awful, sinister warning.
一两个小时以后,当然所有的事情又开始回复了正常
An hour of two later, of course, everything became quite normal again.
他开始享受这件事情的全过程
He began to enjoy the whole thing thoroughly…
并且说他是在注意力的中心
and revelled in the fact that he was the center of attraction.
太好了
Oh, good!
你还记得我们是怎么样花费整个晚上计划他的将来的吗
Do you remember how we spent the whole evening planning his future?
但是他还太年轻了
But he’s much too young to decide really.
美好的生活,如果那个孩子感觉得到的话
Good life, if the boy has a feeling for it.
他怎么能够知道他是否感觉到了?
How can he possibly really know if he has a feeling for it?
他可能会想在下个星期成为火车司机
He’ll probably want to be an engine driver next week.
不是,上个星期他想成为火车司机
No, it was last week he wanted to be an engine driver.
看来这个孩子就要开始做海军梦了
It seems so final, somehow, entering a child of that age for the navy.
– 这是很正常的生活 – 我知道,是个好生活,我知道是这样的
– It’s a healthy life. – I know it’s a good life, and I know it’s a healthy life,
而且我还会知道他会看整个世界,并且在每个港口都有老婆
and I know he’ll be able to see the world and have a wife in every port…
并且叫每个人先生,但是我们怎么办?
and keep on calling everybody “sir,” but what about us?
– 你是什么意思?我们什么怎么办? – 我们几乎很难见到他
– What do you mean, “What about us?” – We shall hardly ever see him.
– 胡说八道 – 不是胡说八道
– Oh, nonsense. – It isn’t nonsense.
作为一个长相平凡的人,他会给派出海
He’ll be sent away to sea as a smooth-faced boy,
然后后面的事情我们也知道,就是他留着长长的胡须回来
and the next thing we know, he’ll come walking in with a long beard and a parrot.
我想你对海军的印象还是保持在维多利亚的时候,亲爱的
I think you take rather a Victorian view of the navy, my dear.
他是我们唯一的儿子,他长大了我当然很高兴了
He’s our only son, and I should like to be there while he’s growing up.
好的,老女孩,我们应该让他进办公室
All right, old girl. Then we’ll put him into an office,
那么你就可以在每天早上八点五十的时候看到他了
and you can see him off on the 8:50 every morning.
你真的很让人讨厌,你知道我很讨厌那个的
You really are very annoying. You know perfectly well I should hate that.
好的,随便它
All right, have it your own way.
– 佛瑞德 – 什么?
– Fred? – Hmm?
我今天和一个陌生人一起吃饭,然后他带我一起去看电影了
I had lunch with a strange man today, and he took me to the movies.
– 那对你很好 – 他真的很好,他是个医生
– Good for you. – He’s awfully nice. He’s a doctor.
– 很高贵的职业 – 亲爱的
– A very noble profession. – Oh, dear.
是理查三世说的吗?我的王国为了一只马
It was Richard III who said, “My kingdom for a horse,” wasn’t it?
是的亲爱的
Yes, darling.
好的,我希望他没有善良的心,因为这样会宠坏一切的
Well, I wish to goodness he hadn’t because it spoils everything.
我想我们可以叫他过来吃顿晚饭
I thought perhaps we might ask him to dinner one night.
一定,谁?
By all means. Who?
哈威医生,我跟你说的这个人
Dr. Harvey… the one I was telling you about.
– 一定要晚饭吗? – 是的,你从来没有在家吃过午饭
– Must it be dinner? – Well, you’re never at home for lunch.
确实如此
Exactly.
佛瑞德
Oh, Fred.
现在到底有什么问题?
Now what on earth’s the matter?
没有什么,只是,佛瑞德
It’s nothing. It’s only that… Oh, Fred.
我只是从来没有觉得自己这么愚蠢
I really don’t see what’s so frightfully funny.
好的,没有什么,亲爱的,我也没有取笑你
Oh, I do. It’s all right, darling. I’m not laughing at you.
我自己在嘲笑自己,我是个很滑稽的人
I’m laughing at me. I’m the one that’s funny.
我是真正的傻瓜,为不存在的事情在那里担心
I’m an absolute idiot, worrying myself about things that don’t exist…
把事情无限的夸大
and making mountains out of molehills.
我告诉你,当你进来时,没有什么很严重的事情
I told you when you came in that it was nothing serious.
没有什么要这么担忧的
There was nothing to get into such a state about.
我现在明白了我,真的
I do see that now, I really do.
当星期四来的时候,我会去见亚历克
When Thursday came, I went to meet Alec,
只是为了礼貌,而不是其他的什么事情
more as a matter of politeness than for any other reason.
这看来完全是没有什么必要的,但是我还是同意你这么做
It didn’t seem of any importance, but, after all, I had promised.
我又来到了相同的桌子
I managed to get the same table.
我有点想但是他没有来
I wanted a bit, but he didn’t come.
那个女子管弦乐队和以往一样在那里演奏
The ladies’orchestra was playing away, as usual.
我看那个大提琴演奏家,上个星期她看来很搞笑
I looked at the cellist. She seemed to be so funny last week,
但是今天她看起来不搞笑了
but today, she didn’t seem funny anymore.
她看起来很可怜
She looked pathetic, poor thing.
午饭以后我刚好经过医院
After lunch, I happened to pass by the hospital.
我记得从窗户往外看,想看到他是不是在那里
I remember looking up at the windows and wondering if he were there…
或者是什么糟糕的事情让他没有来
or whether something awful had happened to prevent him turning up.
我比以前早点来到了车站
I got to the station earlier than usual.
电影我觉得并不是很好看
I hadn’t enjoyed the pictures much.
还是那些吵杂的音乐,我很讨厌它们
It was one of those noisy musical things, and I’m so sick of them.
它还没有结束我就出来了
I had come out before it was over.
当我的茶放到桌子上的时候,我忽然意识我是不是犯了一个错误
As I took my tea to the table, I suddenly wondered if I’d made a mistake,
他说在那里见我
and he’d meant me to meet him there.
亚伯特,你真的很大胆
Albert Godby, how dare you!
– 我不那个拒绝 – 请你把你的手放回你自己身上
– I couldn’t resist. – I’ll trouble you to keep your hands to yourself.
你这么害羞,当你生气的时候你很漂亮,就像是个复仇的小天使
You’re blushing. You look wonderful when you’re angry, just like an avenging angel.
我会给你一个复仇的小天使,请来这里
I’ll give you avenging angel, coming in here taking liberties.
我想在你上个星期说的话,以后你应该不会反对友好的拍一下
I thought after what you said last Monday you wouldn’t object to a friendly little slap.
你不要再提上个星期一了,我现在正忙着
Never you mind about last Monday. I’m on duty now.
如果索多先生正往窗外看的话那多好
A nice thing if Mr. Saunders happened to be looking through the window.
如果索多先生有往外面看的习惯
If Mr. Saunders is in the habit of looking through windows,
这时他能看到一些值得看到的事情
it’s about time he saw something worth looking at.
– 你应该为自己觉得羞愧 – 情绪高涨不要疯了
– You ought to be ashamed of yourself. – It’s high spirits, don’t be mad.
情绪高涨,真的,喝你的茶,安静点
High spirits, indeed. Take your tea, and be quiet.
– 都是你的错 – 我不知道你指的是什么
– It’s all your fault, really. – I don’t know to what you’re referring.
我正在考虑今天晚上
I was thinking of tonight.
如果你不学会在那里做的话,今天晚上不会,以后也不会
If you don’t learn to behave there won’t be a tonight or any other night, either.
– 我们亲亲 – 我不会这么做的,那个女人会看到我们的
– Give us a kiss. – I’ll do no such thing. The lady might see us.
– 过来,亲爱点 – 亚伯特,快停下来
– Come on, a quick one across the bar. – Albert, stop it!
– 过来看那里 – 快点走
– Come, there’s a love. – Let go of me this minute.
亚伯特,现在你看看饼都掉在地上了
Albert! Now look at me Banburys all over the floor.
刚好到了小礼拜室
Just in time or born in the vestry.
你赶快闭上你的嘴,帮戈比先生捡起那些饼
You shut your mouth and help Mr. Godby pick up them cakes.
现在过来,你在那里做什么?
Come along now… what are you standing there gaping at?
当我离开饮食店的时候,我看到了一辆车来了,是他的车
As I left the refreshment room, I saw a train coming in… his train.
他不在站台上,我忽然觉得心有点疼
He wasn’t on the platform, and I suddenly felt panic-stricken…
想到没有见到他
at the thought of not seeing him again.
亲爱的,我很对不起,我没有办法告诉你
My dear, I’m so sorry. I’d no way of letting you know.
– 你的车你会赶不上的 – 住院的外科医生忽然有个手术
– Your train, you’ll miss it. – The house surgeon had to operate suddenly.
我想要去卡达玛那里,但是我想它们可能会喊你的名字
I was going to send a note to the kardomah, but I thought they might shout your name.
请不要再说了
Please don’t say anymore.
快点,快点,汽笛响了
Quickly, quickly, the whistle’s gone.
我很高兴能够向你解释,我想以后可能不会再见你了
I’m so glad I had a chance to explain. I didn’t think I’d see you again.
多么荒谬,快点,快点
How absurd. Quickly, quickly.
– 下个星期四? – 好的,下个星期四
– Next Thursday? – Yes, next Thursday.
– 再见,下个星期四,再见 – 再见
– Good-bye! Next Thursday! Good-bye! – Good-bye!
到凯特沃斯的火车就要在站台三开始出发了
The train for Ketchworth is about to leave from platform three.
星星会在它们运行的过程中改变,整个宇宙室由火焰变成的
The stars can change in their courses, the universe go up in flames,
世界在我们周围碰撞,但是哪里都会有唐老鸭
and the world crash around us, but there’ll always be Donald Duck.
我真的很爱他,他可怕的精力,他的盲目的失落的怒火
I do love him so… his dreadful energy, his blind frustrated rages.
现在是有好看的电影,我们快去吧,不要笑,可能是眼泪
It’s the big picture now. Here we go. No more laughter. Prepare for tears.
真是不好看的电影
It was a terribly bad picture.
还没有放完我们就偷偷的溜出来了
We crept out before the end, rather furtively,
我们蹑手蹑脚的就像犯了罪一样
as though we were committing a crime.
在门口的引坐员轻蔑的看着我们
The usherette at the door looked at us with contempt.
今天下午是真的很好,在清新的空气中真是以后解脱
It was a lovely afternoon, and it was a relief to be in the fresh air.
我们决定去植物园
We decided we’d go to the botanical gardens.
你知道吗?我认为我们的行为应该是不同的
Do you know, I believe we should all behave quite differently…
如果我们一直生活在温暖的阳光充足的天气下
if we lived in a warm, sunny climate all the time.
我们不应该这样的内向和害羞的
We shouldn’t be so withdrawn and shy and difficult.
佛瑞德,那真的是个很愉快的下午
Oh, Fred, it really was a lovely afternoon.
那里有一些小男孩在划船
There were some little boys sailing their boats.
有一个看上去像博比,我知道那使我的良心受到了冲击
One of them looked like Bobby. That should have given me a pang of conscience, I know,
但是它没有我在享受生活,享受生活的每一分钟
but it didn’t… I was enjoying myself, enjoying every single minute.
亚历克忽然说他讨厌盯着水看
Alec suddenly said that he was sick of staring at the water…
他想在上面
and that he wanted to be on it.
所有的船都给遮起来了,但是我们终于说服一个老人给我们一艘
All the boats were covered up, but we managed to persuade the old man to let us have one.
他想我们是疯了,可能他是对的
He thought we were raving mad. Perhaps he was right.
亚历克以很快的速度开出去了
Alec rode off at a great rate,
我把我的手放在水里
and I trailed my hand in the water.
水很冷,但是那种感觉真的很好

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!