It was very cold, but a lovely feeling.
你划的不是很好,是吗?
You don’t row very well, do you?
我想跟你说句老实话,我根本就没有划
I’m going to be perfectly honest with you… I don’t row at all,
除非你想不停的在转小圈
and unless you want to go round and round in ever-narrowing circles,
你最好开始划船
you’d better start steering.
你说的,真的很有趣,佛瑞德
Oh, we had such fun, Fred.
我觉得很轻松,很高兴,有一种轻松的感觉
I felt gay and happy and sort of released.
那就是我对自己的所作所为很觉得羞耻
That’s what’s so shameful about it all.
那就是伤害你很深的,如果你知道
That’s what would hurt you so much if you knew…
我能够觉得自己是那么的热情
that I could feel as intensely as that…
虽然远离你和一个陌生人
away from you, with a stranger.
– 当心,我们不能过了 – 左边继续拉
– Oh, look out! We can’t get through! – Pull on your left!
亲爱的,我从来都是左右不分的
Oh. Oh, dear, I never could tell left from right.
我真的很对不起
I’m most awfully sorry.
你知道英国人一直对疯了的人很不错
You know the British have always been nice to mad people.
那个船夫认为我们是神经不正常,但是看看他现在多么幸福
That boatman thinks we are quite dotty, but look how sweet he’s been.
茶,牛奶,还有糖
Tea, milk, even sugar.
谢谢你
Thank you.
你知道发生什么事情了是吗
You know what’s happened, don’t you?
是的
Yes.
是的我知道
Yes, I do.
我爱你
I’ve fallen in love with you.
是的,我知道
Yes, I know.
老实告诉我,请你老实的告诉我,我的感觉是不是对的
Tell me honestly. Please tell me honestly if what I believe is true.
– 你的感觉是什么? – 和你的一样
– What do you believe? – That it’s the same with you…
就是很爱你
that you’ve fallen in love too.
– 听起来很愚蠢 – 为什么?
– It sounds so silly. – Why?
– 我知道你很小 – 这是真的,不是吗
– I know you so little. – It is true, though, isn’t it?
– 是的,是真的 – 萝拉
– Yes, it’s true. – Laura.
不,不要这样,我们应该明智一点,请帮我明智一点
No, please, we must be sensible. Please help me to be sensible.
我们不能这样做,请忘了我们所说过的话吧
We mustn’t behave like this. We must forget that we’ve said what we’ve said.
– 还没有,还没有 – 但是我们必须,难道你还没有看到吗
– Not yet, not quite yet. – But we must. Don’t you see?
听着,现在太迟了,我们都不能很明智了
Listen, it’s too late now to be as sensible as all that.
想要忘记我们所说的已经太迟了
It’s too late to forget what we’ve said,
而且不管怎么样,无论我们说什么已经不重要了
and anyway, whether we’d said it or not couldn’t have mattered.
我们知道,我们已经了解很长一段时间了
We know. We’ve both of us known for a long time.
你怎么能够这么说?我只是认识你四个星期
How can you say that? I’ve only known you for four weeks.
我们只是上个星期四开始说话
We only talked for the first time last Thursday week.
上个星期四,难道这对于你来说是段很长的时间吗?
Last Thursday week. Has it been a long time for you since then?
– 老实回答我 – 是的
– Answer me truly. – Yes.
你是怎么决定不想和我再见面的?
How often did you decide that you were never going to see me again?
– 一天好几次,亚历克 – 我也是
– Several times a day. Oh, Alec. – So did I.
我爱你,我喜欢你的大眼睛
I love you. I love your wide eyes…
还有你笑的方式和你的害羞
and the way you smile and your shyness…
– 还有你听到我说的笑话 – 请不要说了
– and the way you laugh at my jokes. – Please, don’t.
我爱你,我爱你,你也爱我
I love you. I love you. You love me too.
当作没有发生是没用的,因为已经发生了
It’s no use pretending it hasn’t happened, because it has.
是的,它是发生了
Yes, it has.
我并不想对你或者对其他的人假装什么
I don’t want to pretend anything either to you or to anyone else,
但是从现在开始,我必须这样做
but from now on, I shall have to.
那就是错的,难道你不知道吗?那会毁坏一切的
That’s what’s wrong, don’t you see? That’s what spoils everything.
那就是我们为什么要在这里停留,而且像这样说话
That’s why we must stop here and now talking like this.
我们两个人都不能自♥由♥的爱对方,我们都不能
We’re neither of us free to love each other. There’s too much in the way.
但是还有时间
There’s still time,
如果我们控制自己,然后像个理智的人一样
if we control ourselves and behave like sensible human beings.
还有时间来
There’s still time to…
根本没有时间了
There’s no time at all.
– 那是你的车 – 是的
– There’s your train. – Yes.
我会和你一起去站台的
I’ll come over to the platform with you.
不,亚历克,不要来,有人会看见的
No, Alec, not here. Someone will see.
我是这么的爱你
I love you so.
亲爱的,我们是不是应该把声音调小一点?
Do you think we might have that down a bit, darling?
你好萝拉
Hi, Laura.
– 什么事情,亲爱的? – 你好像心不在焉
– Yes, dear? – You were miles away.
是吗?我想我是的
Was I? Yes, I suppose I was.
你不介意我把声音调小一点吧?真的很吵
Do you mind if we turn that down a little? It really is deafening.
当然可以
No, of course not.
你不能老是这样,亲爱的,我们睡觉吧,你知道吗?你看上去很累
I shan’t be long over this, darling, then we’ll go to bed. You look a bit tired, you know?
不要这么快,我很开心
Don’t hurry. I’m perfectly happy.
我怎么能这么说?
How can I possibly say that?
不要这么急,我很开心
“Don’t hurry. I’m perfectly happy.”
只要那是真的
If only it were true.
不,我想每个人都会这么开心的
Not, I suppose, that anybody is ever perfectly happy, really.
但是仅仅是普通的满足、平静
But just to be ordinarily contented, to be at peace.
就是不久以前,但是看起来就像是永恒
It’s such a little while ago, really, but it seems an eternity…
自从那车开出站台以后
since that train went out of the station,
把他带进黑暗中
taking him away into the darkness.
那时我很开心
I was happy then.
当我们走向我自己的站台的时候
As I went back through the subway to my own platform,
我觉得整个人都很轻松
I was walking on air.
当我走进火车的时候,我甚至没有假装读书
When I got into the train, I didn’t even pretend to read.
我不再在乎有没有人看我,我是要想…
I didn’t care whether people were looking at me or not. I had to think.
我本来是应该觉得羞耻的,我知道我应该这样,但是我没有
I should have been utterly wretched and ashamed. I know I should, but I wasn’t.
我觉得很开心
I felt suddenly quite wildly happy,
像一个浪漫的学生,像一个浪漫的小傻瓜
like a romantic schoolgirl, like a romantic fool.
你知道他说他爱我,我也说了我爱他
You see, he’d said he loved me, and I had said I loved him.
但是那是真的,那是真的
And it was true. It was true.
我想像他把我抱在怀里
I imagined him holding me in his arms.
我想像和他一起在各种迷人的场合中
I imagined being with him in all sorts of glamorous circumstances.
这是荒谬的白日梦,就像还是在小的时候
It was one of those absurd fantasies, just like one has when one is a girl,
给自己喜爱的人追求
being wooed and married by the ideal of one’s dreams.
我从窗户看外面的黑夜
I stared out of that railway carriage window into the dark…
看着模糊的树还有电线杆匆匆闪过
and watched the dim trees and the telegraph posts slipping by,
在它们中我看见了我和亚历克
and through them, I saw Alec and me.
亚历克和我
Alec and me…
可能比我们现在要年轻点,但是很相爱
perhaps a little younger than we are now, but just as much in love…
并且没有什么阻挡
and with nothing in the way.
我看见我们在巴黎,在歌♥剧院的一个包厢里
I saw us in Paris, in a box at the opera.
管弦乐队出现了
The orchestra was tuning up.
然后我们在威尼斯,在小船里穿过很多不同的运河
Then we were in Venice, drifting along the Grand Canal in a gondola…
在水上各种音乐的配合下
with the sound of mandolins coming to us over the water.
我看见我们一起到远的地方旅行
I saw us traveling far away together,
很多我一直想去的地方
all the places I’ve always longed to go.
我看见我们靠在船舷边,看着海水和天上的星星
I saw us leaning on the rail of a ship, looking at the sea and stars,
在一个月夜站在热带的海滩上
standing on a tropical beach in the moonlight…
棕榈树在我们的身边
with the palm trees sighing above us.
然后那些棕榈树变成了
Then the palm trees changed into those pollarded willows by the canal…
在经过路口的时候
just before the level crossing,
然后所有愚蠢的梦都消失了
and all the silly dreams disappeared,
然后我出了凯特沃斯丢掉我的票
and I got out at Ketchworth and gave up my ticket…
像往常一样回家
and walked home as usual,
和以前一样的平静慢慢的走
quite soberly and without wings…
一点也没有加快脚步
without any wings at all.
当我们吃晚饭的时候,我的脸有点…你还记得吗
When I had changed for dinner and was doing my face a bit… Do you remember?
我觉得你没有,但我是的
I don’t suppose you do, but I do.
你看,你不知道那是我们生命中的第一次
You see, you didn’t know that that was the first time in our life together…
向你说谎话
that I had ever lied to you.
然后开始了整个让人羞耻的事情
It started then… the shame of the whole thing,
犯罪的感觉,还有害怕
the guiltiness, the fear.
– 晚上好,杰森夫人 – 你好,亲爱的
– Good evening, Mrs. Jesson. – Hello, dear.
– 今天过的好吗? – 是的,很好
– Had a good day? – Yes, lovely.
– 你做了什么? – 我买♥♥了点东西,吃个午饭,然后去看电影
– What’d you do? – Well, I shopped and had lunch and went to the pictures.
– 都是你自己? – 是的
– All by yourself? – Yes.
不,不是很准确
Uh, no, not exactly.
你这是什么意思?不是很准确?
What do you mean, “not exactly”?
我自己看的电影,但是我是和玛丽诺顿一起吃的午饭
Well, I went to the pictures by myself, but I had lunch with Mary Norton.
她不能来看电影,因为她必须看她的亲戚
She couldn’t come to the pictures ’cause she had to see her in-laws.
他们刚刚住在米尔福德外面,你知道吗
They live just outside Milford, you know?
所以我和她一起去公共汽车站,然后我自己回来了
So I walked with her to the bus and then came home on my own.
我好几年没有看到过玛丽,诺顿她看起来怎么样?
I haven’t seen Mary Norton for ages. How is she looking?
看起好像胖了

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!