Sir?
怎么回事
You bewitched my horse.
你对我的马下了咒
I did not.
我没有
Were you waiting for your people on that lane?
你当时正在那条路上等你的同伙吗
I have no people, sir.
我没有同伙 先生
I mean for the imps and elves and little green men.
比如小怪物 小精灵或者绿色小矮人
The sad truth is, they are all gone.
令人遗憾的是它们全都离开了
Your land is neither wild nor savage enough for them.
因为您的庄园还不够荒芜偏僻
Adèle brought me these. Are they yours?
阿黛拉给我看了这些画 你画的吗
Yes, sir.
是的 先生
Where did you get your copies?
从哪儿仿来的
Out of my head.
是我自己脑海中的画面
That head I now see on your shoulders?
就凭你肩上的那个小脑瓜吗
Yes, sir.
是的 先生
Who’s this?
这是什么
The evening star.
暗夜之星
Were you happy when you painted these? Yes.
你创作这些画作时愉快吗 是的
To paint is one of the keenest pleasures I have ever known.
作画是我最快乐的时光之一
Then your pleasures have been few.
那你生活中的乐趣一定很少
Are you satisfied with them?
你对自己的作品满意吗
Far from it.
很不满意
I imagine things I’m powerless to execute.
我想象出很多画面 却无力展现
You’ve secured the shadow of your thoughts.
你已经捕到自己思想的影子
Yet the drawings are, for a schoolgirl, peculiar.
对于一个女学生来说 这些画还算是与众不同的
Good night.
晚安
Come, Adèle.
走吧 阿黛拉
Most merciful Father,
仁慈的主
we give Thee humble thanks for this, Thy special bounty.
感谢您慷慨地赐予我们这些丰盛的菜肴
Amen.
阿门
Amen. Amen.
阿门 阿门
Sit nicely, please, Adèle.
请坐好 阿黛拉
Pilot!
派洛特
Pilot, come here!
派洛特 过来
Go on, further down!
快追 继续往前
By the river!
沿着河边
He’s very abrupt and changeful.
他的脾气乖张 阴晴不定
What manner of man is he?
他到底是怎样的一个人
He’s a good master.
是一位好主人
He’s fine company, too,
也会友善待人
when he…
只要他…
Except when he’s in an ill humor.
只要他的心情不是很糟
Adèle.
阿黛拉
I hate to reload.
最烦给枪上膛
On three. One, two, three.
数三下 一 二 三
Ready?
发球啦
Think that’s it, sir.
就这样吧 先生
Take it down to the river.
拿到河边去
Come on.
来吧
Keep it.
端走
Take it away and disembowel it.
拿去拆开吧
Beautiful.
真漂亮
Miss Eyre.
爱小姐
I’m not fond of children.
我不喜欢孩子
Nor do I particularly enjoy simple-minded old ladies.
对愚笨的老女人也不感兴趣
But you might suit me, if you would.
但如果你愿意的话 也许能博我欢心
How, sir?
怎讲 先生
By distracting me from the mire of my thoughts.
把我从我思绪的泥潭中拽出来
That is how Mama used to say.
妈妈以前总这么说
Precisely.
一点没错
And that’s how she charmed my English gold
她就是这样骗走我钱包里
out of my English pocket.
那些英镑钞票的
Let’s go and try it on, shall we?
我们去试试裙子吧 好吗
Your gaze is very direct, Miss Eyre.
爱小姐 你这样直盯着我看
Do you think me handsome?
是觉得我英俊吗
No, sir.
没觉得 先生
What fault do you find with me?
那么我哪儿不好呢
I have all my limbs and features.
我四肢健全 五官端正
I beg your pardon, sir.
请原谅 先生
I ought to have replied that beauty is of little consequence.
我应该说其实英俊并不重要
You’re blushing, Miss Eyre.
你脸红了 爱小姐
And though you’re not pretty any more than I am handsome,
虽然你并不漂亮 正如我并不英俊一样
I must say it becomes you.
但这份红晕很衬你
And now I see you’re fascinated by the flowers on the rug.
看来你被地毯的花朵深深地吸引了
Come, speak to me.
来 跟我聊聊
Fact is, Miss Eyre, I’d like to draw you out.
其实我想更进一步了解你 爱小姐
You have rather the look of another world about you.
但你的表情却总是平淡疏离
I don’t wish to treat you as inferior.
我并不想把你当做下人
Yet you’d command me to speak?
但你却命令我跟你说话
Are you very hurt by my tone of command?
我命令的口吻伤了你的自尊吗
There are few masters who’d trouble to enquire
很少有主人会去关心
whether their paid subordinates
自己的言语是否中伤了
were hurt by their commands.
他花钱雇来的这些仆人
Paid subordinate?
花钱雇来的仆人
I’d forgotten the salary.
我倒忘记了薪酬的事
Well, on that mercenary ground,
那么从雇佣的角度来说
will you consent to speak as my equal
你是否愿意与我平等地谈话
without thinking that the request arises from insolence?
而不把它当做是傲慢无礼的要求呢
I’d never mistake informality for insolence, sir.
我绝不会把不拘礼节错当傲慢无理 先生
One, I rather like.
前者是我所喜欢的
The other, nothing freeborn should ever submit to.
而后者 是任何自♥由♥人都不应该屈从的
Humbug.
胡扯
Even for a salary.
即使是为了赚钱
Most free-born things would submit to anything for a salary.
大多数人会为了赚钱而屈从于任何事情
But I mentally shake hands with you for your answer.
但在精神上 我同意你所说的
Not three in 3,000 schoolgirl governesses
三千个女家教中
would have answered me as you’ve just done.
像你这么回答的不出三个
Then you’ve not spent much time in our company, sir.
其实你并不了解我们 先生
I’m the same plain kind of bird as all the rest,
我与那些平凡的女家庭老师一样
with my common tale of woe.
有个如出一辙的悲惨故事
I envy you.
我很羡慕你
How?
羡慕我什么
Your openness, your unpolluted mind.
你直率的性格 纯净的思想
When I was your age, fate dealt me a blow.
我像你这么大的时候 命运给了我狠狠一击
And since happiness’s denied me,
既然幸福与我无缘
I’ve a right to get pleasure in its stead.
我就有权换种方式享受人生
And I will get it, cost what it may.
我会不惜任何代价去享乐
Then you’ll degenerate still more.
这样你会堕落得更深
But, Miss Eyre,
但是 爱小姐
if the pleasure I was seeking was sweet and fresh,
如果我所追求的愉悦甜美而清新
if it was an inspiration,
如果它能启迪人心
if it wore the robes of an angel of light,
如果它身披光明天使的长袍
what then?
那又该如何呢
To speak truth, sir, I don’t understand you at all.
先生 说实话 我听不懂您说什么
I fear the conversation has got out of my depth.
恐怕这谈话已经超出我的理解范围
You’re afraid of me.
你怕的是我
I’m not afraid.
我不怕您
I’ve simply no wish to talk nonsense.
只是不愿聊些没意义的胡话
Do you never laugh, Miss Eyre?
你从来不笑吗 爱小姐
Only rarely, perhaps.
很少笑吧
But you’re not naturally austere,
但你并非生来就如此严肃
any more than I’m naturally vicious.
就像我并非天生就是个恶棍
I can see in you the glance of a curious sort of bird
在我看来 你就像一只笼中的鸟
through the close-set bars of a cage,
从紧密的笼缝中看去
a vivid, restless captive.
正在不安地扑腾着
Were it but free, it would soar, cloud-high.
但倘若它获得自♥由♥ 便会冲上云端
Leah, have you seen Mrs. Poole?
莉 你看到普尔女士了吗
Yes, ma’am.
是的 女士
The master’s in no mood for any more mistakes.
主人不希望再出任何差错
Who’s there?

Wake up, sir!
醒醒 先生

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!