I thought Thornfield Hall belonged to you.
我还以为桑菲尔德庄园是你的呢
Bless you, child, what an idea. Me?
主保佑你 孩子 多荒谬啊 我的
I’m only the housekeeper.
我只是女管家
Forgive me.
请原谅
There is a distant connection between Mr. Rochester and me,
罗切斯特先生和我是远亲
his mother was a Fairfax, but I’d never presume on it.
他妈妈姓费尔马克斯 但我可没走后门
Heavens. Me, owner of Thornfield?
天啊 我是桑菲尔德的主人
We shall have a cheerful house this winter.
这个冬天会很愉快的
With Miss Varens here and with you,
因维纶斯小姐和你在这里
we’ll have quite a merry time of it.
我们将会有一段快乐的时光
I’m sure that last winter, and
去年冬天真是够凛冽的
what a severe one it was, if it didn’t rain it snowed,
不是下雨就是下雪
if it didn’t snow it blew.
不下雪了就刮风
I declare, not one soul
我敢说
came to the house from November to February.
从十一月到二月不会有一个人来的
When spring finally came,
春天终于来的时候
I thought it a great relief
我觉得自己还能神志清醒
I hadn’t gone distracted.
就真是上天眷顾了
I’ve had Martha lay a fire. I hope you’ll be comfortable.
我已经让玛莎生好了火 希望你能舒服点
Now, get that lot turned over before frost comes down.
在霜降前得把那块地翻翻
Do you want the upper bit doing as well?
上面那块也翻吗
Yes.
是的
We must open the window in the study today
我们今天得把书房♥的窗户打开
to let in some air.
换换空气
I’ve never seen such an ancient old house.
我从没见过这么古老的房♥子
How beautifully you’ve preserved it.
你们把它维护得多么漂亮
Well, Mr. Rochester’s visits are always unexpected.
罗切斯特先生总是意外到访
He doesn’t like to arrive and find everything all swathed up,
他可不喜欢回来后看到所有的东西都盖着
so I keep it in constant readiness.
所以我总是保持整洁
Now, come and meet Miss Varens.
现在 来见见维纶斯小姐吧
Did I mention she’s French?
我说过她是法国人吗
Will you ask her about her parents?
能不能问问她的父母
Mr. Rochester neglected to tell me anything about her.
关于她 罗切斯特先生什么都没告诉我
Her mother has passed away.
她母亲去世了
Adele is going to show us her accomplishments.
阿黛拉想表演一下学过的东西
How very French.
全是法语
Very good. Very good.
很好 很好
Now, we’re going to make a press. Shut the book up.
现在我们提高点难度 把书合上
Butterfly.
蝴蝶
And what was it before it was a butterfly?
变成蝴蝶之前它是什么
Caterpillar.
毛毛虫
“I shall leave and walk into town.”
“我要离开这里 步行进城去”
“Do not go,” Begged her maid.
“不要走” 她的女仆乞求道
“The Gytrash roams these hills.”
“那些山里有吉特莱斯”
A spirit of the North
是北方传说中的一种兽
that lies in wait for travelers.
会对旅行者进行突然袭击
It tenants the carcasses of beasts,
它寄居在野兽的身体中
possesses horses, wolves, great dogs.
可以控制马啊 狼啊 大型狗啊
You know it only by its eyes,
只有看眼睛才能发现它
which burn as red as coals,
像烧红的炭一样发出光芒
and if one should chance upon you…
如果有一只吉特莱斯发现了你…
Nothing. A mere story.
不会有事的 传说而已
What nonsense.
真是荒谬
Whatever brings you up here?
你怎么在这儿
I’ve been waiting to pour our tea.
我已经准备好茶点了
I’m not in need of tea, thank you.
我不太想喝茶 谢谢
It’s a quiet life, isn’t it?
平静的生活 是吗
This isolated house, a still doom for a young woman.
孤单的房♥子 对年轻女孩来说太安静了
I wish a woman could have action in her life, like a man.
我希望女人也能像男人一样勇于生活
It agitates me to pain
这想法激得我痛苦不堪
that the skyline over there is ever our limit.
远处的地平线永远是个界限
I long sometimes for a power of vision that would overpass it.
我有时真心希望有种力量能帮我跨越过去
If I could behold all I imagine…
要是我能见到我心中所想
I’ve never seen a city,
我还没见过城市呢
I’ve never spoken with men.
也从未和男人交谈过
And I fear my whole life will pass…
我担心一生就这么过去…
Now, exercise and fresh air,
听别人说 运动和新鲜空气
great cures for anything, they say.
是最好的治疗法
I have some letters to post. Will you take them?
我有几封信要寄 你能帮我捎去吗
Up! Up, you cursed beast! Up!
起来 起来 你这该死的畜生 起来
Stand back. Are you injured, sir?
别过来 你受伤了吗 先生
May I be of some help?
需要我帮忙吗
Where did you come from?
你从哪儿来
Just below, at Thornfield Hall. I am the governess.
山脚下的特恩费德庄园 我是那里的家庭教师
I’m on my way to post a letter.
我正要去寄封信
Can I fetch someone to help?
要不要找人来帮忙
The governess.
家庭教师
You may help me yourself.
你来帮我就好
Get hold of his bridle and lead him to me.
拽着马缰把马牵过来
If you would be so kind.
劳驾您
It would be easier to bring me to the horse. Come here.
还是我过去吧 过来扶我
I must beg of you to please come here, Miss Governess.
我请求您扶我一把 家教小姐
Hold it.
拉住
Make haste with your letter.
快寄信去吧
For who knows what might lurk in these dark woods.
这偌大漆黑的森林可不安全
Leah, go and light the fire in the master’s bedroom.
莉 去主人的卧室把火生上
And tell Martha to prepare for tea.
让玛莎沏好茶
Yes, ma’am.
好的 夫人
Mr. Rochester’s here.
罗切斯特先生回来了
Go and change your frock. He wishes to meet you.
去换身衣服 他要见你
Leah, take her cloak.
莉 帮她拿披风
I have to change?
还要换衣服吗
I always dress for the evening when Mr. Rochester’s here.
罗切斯特先生在家的时候我都会穿得正式一些
But all my dresses are the same.
但我的裙子都一个样
You must have one that’s better.
那肯定也有好坏之分
He’s in a terrible humor.
他现在心情可不怎么好
His horse fell in Hay Lane,
他的马在来的路上滑倒了
and his ankle is sprained. He’s at the doctor this half hour.
他也扭伤了脚踝 这会儿正看医生呢
Where have you been?
你刚才去哪儿了
Let her sit.
让她坐吧
I’ve examined Adèle
我检查了阿黛拉的功课
and I find you’ve taken great pains with her.
看来你在她身上花了不少功夫
She’s not bright, she has no talents,
她既不聪明 天赋平平
yet in a short time she’s improved.
但短时间内进步如此之大
Thank you, Mr. Rochester.
谢谢夸奖 罗切斯特先生
You’ve been resident here three months?
你已经在这住了三个月了吗
Yes, sir.
是的 先生
And from whence do you hail?
那么你来自何方呢
What’s your tale of woe?
有怎样的悲惨故事
Pardon?
您说什么
All governesses have a tale of woe. What’s yours?
家庭教师都有段悲惨的故事 你也讲讲吧
I was brought up by my aunt,
我的姑妈是盖茨赫德庄园的里德太太
Mrs. Reed of Gateshead,
她抚养我长大
in a house even finer than this.
家庭条件比这里还要好
I then attended Lowood School, where I received
之后我在洛伍德学校就读
as good an education as I could hope for.
接受到相当好的教育
I have no tale of woe, sir.
我没有什么悲惨故事 先生
Where are your parents?
那你父母呢
Dead.
过世了
Do you remember them? No.
你还记得他们吗 记不得了
And why are you not with Mrs. Reed of Gateshead now?
你现在怎么没和里德太太一起生活
She cast me off, sir.
她把我赶出来了 先生
Why?
为何
Because I was burdensome and she disliked me.
因为她不喜欢我 觉得我是个累赘
No tale of woe?
这不是悲惨的故事吗
I daily thank providence for sending us Miss Eyre.
每天我都感谢上天把爱小姐赐给我们
She’s an invaluable…
她是我们的无价之宝…
Don’t trouble yourself to give her a character.
不用费心美言她了
I’ll judge for myself.
我心里有数
I have her to thank for this sprain.
我的脚伤还是拜她所赐

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!