Wake up! Sir! Wake up!
快醒醒啊 先生
The quilt! Give it here!
快把被子拿过来
A noise aroused me from my sleep.
我是被一阵声音吵醒的
What noise?
什么声音
There was someone at my door.
刚才有人在我房♥门外
Stay here.
待在这里
Don’t make a sound.
别出声
Say nothing about this.
别跟他人说起这事
You’re no talking fool.
你也不是爱说傻话的人
But… I’ll account for this state of affairs.
但是 我日后再向你解释这事
Say nothing.
你要绝口不提
Yes, sir.
好的 先生
Is that how you would leave me?
你这就走了吗
Jane, fire is a horrible death.
简 可怕的火灾差点要了我的命
You’ve saved my life.
是你救了我
Don’t walk past me as if we were strangers.
不要像个陌生人似的 就这样从我身边走过
But what am I to do then?
那我该怎么做呢
I’ve a pleasure in owing you my life.
我愿用一生偿还你的救命之恩
There is no debt.
你并不欠我什么
I knew you would do me good in some way.
我早就知道你是我的贵人
I saw it in your eyes when I first beheld you.
我们第一次相遇时 你的双眼已经告诉我
Their expression did not
那双眼眸不会无缘无故地
strike my very inmost being so for nothing.
激起我内心深处的波澜
People talk of natural sympathies.
人们总谈起天生的怜惜之情
You…
而你
Good night then, sir.
晚安了 先生
You will leave me, then?
你要走了吗
I am cold.
我很冷
Go.
走吧
Has Mr. Rochester not sent for us today?
罗切斯特先今天没有叫我们过去吗
Why, he’s gone away.
怎么了 他已经走了
Were you not aware? He left after breakfast.
你不知道吗 他吃过早饭就离开了
He’s gone to the Leas. It’s Mr. Eshton’s place.
他去了里斯 艾斯顿先生那里
I believe Blanche Ingram is there.
布兰奇·英格拉姆小姐肯定也在
She’s a great favorite of his.
罗切斯特先生很喜欢她
I saw her two years ago when Mr. Rochester gave a party here.
在两年前的一次聚会上我见过她
She’s a most elegant girl.
高贵典雅又气质不凡
They sang a duet together.
他们还一起表演了二重唱
They made a lovely harmony.
真是登对极了
I was quite surprised he didn’t make a proposal,
我很诧异他竟然没有向她求婚
but she has no fortune.
但她并不富有
In every other way they’d make a splendid match.
但其他方面他们都相当般配
Perhaps it’s his intention now.
他现在可能要追求她了
He’s far more likely to have gone off to Europe.
他也很可能已经去欧洲了
He often goes without so much as a fare-you-well,
主人经常不打招呼就离开
and I don’t see him for a year.
之后一年都见不着他人
I collected the burnt linen from the master’s room.
我在主人的房♥里捡到了烧焦的布料
That’s fine. Just go make up the bed.
没关系 去铺好床就行了
England is a great power, Adèle.
英国是个强盛之邦 阿黛拉
British ships set sail
我们的航舰驶出
from here to the outer limits of our empire,
大英帝国的边界
navigating the five oceans and four corners of our world.
穿越五大洋 到达世界各地
From Canada, here, all the way to the south of Africa
从这里的加拿大 一直到南非
and the Cape of Good Hope.
以及好望角
Across the Indian Ocean, to Australia and New Zealand,
横跨印度洋 直达澳大利亚 新西兰
and on to Burma, China, India and Malaya.
以及这边的缅♥甸♥ 中国 印度和马来亚
Nothing.
没什么
On these distant horizons, you will find all manner of men.
在这些遥远的国度里 也住着形形色♥色♥的人
He’s coming back tomorrow.
他明天就回来了
He’s given me directions to prepare all the rooms.
他让我把房♥间都收拾好
I’m to get more staff from the George Inn.
我得从乔治客栈那里多雇些人过来
Miss Ingram’s coming.
英格拉姆小姐要来了
Supplies to be got, the linen, mattresses…
得准备很多东西 床单 床垫
I’ll go to the George now.
我得马上去找乔治
No, no, I’ll tell Martha…
不对 先告诉玛莎
May I assist you, Mrs. Fairfax?
不如让我帮你吧 费尔法克斯夫人
South-facing rooms for Lady Ingram and Miss Ingram.
朝南的房♥间安排给英格拉姆家的小姐和夫人
Colonel Dent and Mrs. Dent must have the river view.
登特上校和他的夫人要住在这间河景屋
I reckon master’s taken a fancy to that Miss Ingram.
我觉得主人对英格拉姆小姐有意思
He may well have asked her already.
可能已经向她求婚了
I’ll wager he will by end of week.
我打赌他周末之前就会求婚
You mark my words.
记住是我说的
Adèle.
阿黛拉
What’s she saying?
她说什么
Mr. Rochester is here.
罗切斯特先生来了
Everybody out.
全部人出去
Edward.
爱德华
Allow me, Miss Ingram.
失礼了 英格拉姆小姐
I’d forgotten how masculine Thornfield is
我快忘了桑菲尔德庄园有多雄伟
I think you need more flowers.
我看种些花更好
I have the fairest of all on my arm.
最美的花不就在我手中吗
Come away, Adèle.
过来 阿黛拉
Tonight, he wants both of you in the drawing room after dinner.
主人说让你们俩晚餐之后都到客厅里去
Not me, surely.
肯定没让我去
I’m instructed to tell you, if you resist,
我奉命告诉你 如果你坚持
he’ll come up and get you himself.
他会亲自让你去
But I don’t have a dress.
但我连礼服都没有
Don’t worry, child, who’ll notice?
你多虑了 孩子 谁会看你
Mademoiselle!
小姐
I thought you
我想你不是那种
were not fond of children, Mr. Rochester.
喜欢孩子的人 罗切斯特先生
Nor am I, Lady Ingram.
我的确不是 英格拉姆夫人
What induced you to take charge of her?
那你为何要抚养她
She was left on my hands.
受人所托而已
Why don’t you send her to school?
为什么不送她去上学
She has a governess.
我为她请了家庭女教师
Poor child. I had about half a dozen in my day,
可怜的孩子 我小时候请过半打女教师
all detestable incubi.
都是些可恶的老巫婆
It’s true.
没错
Mr. Rochester, beware the governess.
罗切斯特先生 要提防这些女教师
Mama thinks they’re generally hysterics.
妈妈觉得她们大多歇斯底里
Or degenerates.
或者说 自甘堕落
I thank heaven I have done with them.
谢天谢地我终于告别她们的魔爪了
It’s a miracle I survived my education.
能从她们的魔爪中存活下来 真是个奇迹
I remember Miss Wilson screaming,
我记得威尔森小姐有次对我吼说
“You villainous child!”
“你这个恶毒的孩子”
That’s right. She tried to set her hair on fire.
没错 她要把老师的头发烧着了
Frequently, I might add.
老这样 我得说
Anyway, enough of this dreary race.
真受够了这些无趣的人
We shall have music
让我们来点音乐
and a new subject.
换换话题吧
Signor Eduardo, what shall it be?
爱德华阁下 说点什么呢
I give you beauty.
我提议 来谈谈美吧
There’s nothing new to be said.
这个话题没什么新鲜的
I give you back male beauty.
不如说说男人的美
Well, that’s my son.
我儿子就够美的
Hear hear.
听听
A man should pay no heed to his looks.
一个男人不该注重他的外貌
He should possess only strength and valor.
他该拥有的是力量与勇气
Gentleman or highwayman,
不管绅士还是强盗
his beauty lies in his power.
他的美就在于他的强大
Then a pirate would do for you?
那海盗最合你胃口
Why did you leave the room?
你为什么要走
I am tired, sir.
我累了 先生
Why didn’t you come and speak to me?
你为什么不来和我说话
I haven’t seen you for weeks.
我几个礼拜没见你了
It would have been normal and polite
你该像平常一样
to wish me good evening.
礼貌地来向我道晚安
You seemed engaged.
你看上去很忙
You look pale.
你样子很苍白

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!