Is it so impossible that Mr. Rochester should love me?
为什么罗切斯特先生不可能真心爱我
No.
我没这么说
I’ve long noticed you were a sort of pet of his.
我早就觉得你好像深得他宠爱
But you’re so young
但你太年轻了
and you’re so little acquainted with men.
又没怎么和男人打过交道
I don’t want to grieve you, child,
孩子 我不想打击你
but let me just put you on your guard.
但我有必要给你提个醒
Gentlemen in his position…
像他这种有身份的绅士
Well, let’s just say,
这么说吧
they’re not accustomed to marry their governesses.
他们一般不和自家的家庭教师结婚
Until you are wed,
在你正式嫁过来之前
distrust yourself as well as him.
既不要太自信 也不要太相信他
Please,
请你
keep him at a distance.
还是设法和他保持距离吧
Come.

What is it?
怎么啦
Jane Eyre with nothing to say?
简·爱小姐不说话吗
Everything seems unreal.
一切都好不真实
I am real enough.
我够真实了吧
You, sir, are most phantom-like of all.
先生 你就是最大的幻觉啊
I will be Jane Eyre no longer.
我再也不是简·爱了
Edward!
爱德华
Move it!
让一下
Have the carriage loaded and ready within the hour.
把行李装好 一小时内准备出发
Take courage, Jane.
勇敢点 简
I will.
我会的
Come on.
走吧
I require and charge you both,
当审判日到来
as you will answer at the dreadful Day of Judgment,
一切秘密将告知天下
when the secrets of all hearts shall be revealed,
我在此要求你们
that if either of you do know of any impediment
如果你们之一知道 存在障碍
why you may not be joined together lawfully,
使你们不能合法地结为夫妇
you do now confess it.
现在请自己坦白
Edward Fairfax Rochester…
爱德华.费尔法克斯·罗切斯特
The marriage cannot go on!
婚礼不能继续
An insurmountable impediment exists.
我宣布存在障碍
Proceed.
继续
“I affirm and can prove…
我确定并能证明
Proceed!
继续
“…that Edward Fairfax Rochester was,
爱德华.费尔法克斯·罗切斯特
“15 years ago, married to my sister,
十五年前在牙买♥♥加西班牙城的圣詹姆斯教堂
“Bertha Antoinetta Mason, at St. James’ Church,
同我姐姐
“Spanish Town, Jamaica.”
伯莎·安东尼埃塔·梅森结婚
A copy of the register is now in my possession.
我有当时结婚登记册的抄件
Signed, Richard Mason.
理查·梅森签名
She lives at Thornfield Hall.
她现在就住在桑菲尔德府
This girl knew nothing of this.
这个姑娘对此一无所知
She thought all was fair and legal.
还以为这一切公平合法
She never dreamt she was being entrapped
做梦也没想到自己已经中了圈套
into a feigned union with a defrauded wretch.
要和一个可悲的骗子缔结欺诈的婚姻
Come, Jane.
来 简
Come, all of you. Meet my wife.
所有人都过来 见见我妻子
Get back!
都回去
Go, all of you. Go!
走开 统统走开
You’re 15 years too late.
要道喜的话已经晚了十五年
Mrs. Poole.
普尔太太
You ought to give warning, sir.
您应该提前通知我的 先生
This is Bertha Antoinetta Mason.
这就是伯莎·安东尼埃塔·梅森
My wife.
我的妻子
Antoinetta. It’s I, Richard.
安东瓦内达 是我 理查德
She has her quiet times and her rages.
她有时候安静 有时候暴躁
The windows are shuttered lest she throw herself out.
窗户都钉了木板 免得她跳下去
We have no furniture,
没放家具
as she can make a weapon out of anything.
是怕她拿来当武器
I take her for a turn upon the roof each day,
我每天带她到屋顶放一次风
securely held, as she’s taken to thinking she can fly.
但得盯牢她 因为她觉得自己会飞
My own demon.
我的错
Jane.

Forgive me. I’m worthless. How could I?
请原谅我 是我没用 我怎么能这么对你
Jane.

No tears.
你没哭
Why don’t you cry?
为什么不哭呢
Why not scream at me? I deserve a hail of fire.
为什么不骂我呢 我该下地狱
I need some water. Of course.
我要喝点水 没问题
Jane.

How are you now?
你还好吗
I will be well again soon.
我很快会好起来的
I know you. You’re thinking.
我太了解你了 你是在思考
Talking is of no use, you’re thinking how to act.
多说无益 你在考虑该怎么做
All is changed, sir. I must leave you.
一切都变了 先生 我必须离开你
No. No!
不 不
Jane, do you love me?
简 你爱我吗
Then the essential things are the same.
那么一切的本质都没改变
Be my wife.
做我妻子吧
You have a wife.
你已经有一个妻子了
I pledge you my honor, my fidelity…
我以我的名誉 我的忠心向你发誓
You cannot.
不要这样
…my love, until death do us part.
我爱你 只有死亡才能将我们分开
What of truth?
我要听真♥相♥
I would have told you the truth.
我应该早点告诉你真♥相♥
You are deceitful, sir!
你骗我 先生
I was wrong to deceive you.
之前欺骗你是我不对
I see that now. It was cowardly.
我现在知道错了 我真是懦夫
I should have appealed to your spirit as I do now.
我早该像现在这样向你坦白
Bertha Antoinetta Mason.
伯莎·安东尼埃塔·梅森
She was wanted by my father for her fortune.
我父亲看中她的财产 逼我娶她
I hardly spoke with her before the wedding.
结婚之前我几乎未曾与她谋面
I lived with her for four years.
我们一起生活了四年
Her temper ripened, her vices sprang up,
她的脾气一发不可收拾 她的劣迹层出不穷
violent and unchaste.
她残忍♥凶暴 不守妇道
Only cruelty would check her, and I’d not use cruelty.
只有用残暴的手段才能加以制止 而我又不忍♥心
I was chained to her for life, Jane.
我这辈子都被她拴住了 简
Not even the law could free me.
法律也无法将我解脱
Have you ever set foot in a madhouse, Jane?
你去过疯人院吗 简
No, sir.
没有 先生
The inmates are caged and baited like beasts.
病人们像野兽一样 被关进笼子等候喂食
I spared her that at least.
我不忍♥将她送到那儿去
Jane.

I earnestly pity you, sir.
我真诚地怜悯你 先生
No.

Who would you offend by living with me?
与我一同生活又有何妨
Who would care?
谁又会介意
I would.
我介意
You’d rather drive me to madness
你宁愿让我发疯
than break some mere human law?
也不愿打破世俗的法规吗
I must respect myself.
我必须尊重我自己
Listen to me.
听我说
Listen.
听着
I could bend you with my finger and my thumb,
你就像我手心的一根芦苇
a mere reed you feel in my hands.
我不费吹灰之力就能把你折弯
But whatever I do with this cage,
但不管我怎样突破这个牢笼
I cannot get at you.
我却无法触及你
And it is your soul that I want.
我深爱着你的灵魂
Why don’t you come of your own free will?
你为什么不听从自己这颗自♥由♥的心
God help me!
上帝帮帮我吧
Jane!

I asked how you were.
我问你还好吗
I’m getting on very well.
我很好
Do you find the work too hard?
工作太辛苦了吗
Not at all.
完全没有

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!