夫人 您了解
Madame. Do you know about the
宪法第13号♥修正案提案吗
proposed Thirteenth Amendment to the Constitution?
是的 先生 所有人都知道
Yes sir, everybody knows of it.
总统赞成这项提案
The President favors it.
-你们呢 -我们也赞成
– But do you? – We do.
你知道这项法案会废除奴隶制吧
You know that it abolishes slavery?
是的 我知道
Yes sir. I know it.
这是你赞成的原因吗
And is that why you favor it?
我赞成的只是停战
What I favor is ending the war.
我们一废奴 南军就会停战
Once we do away with slavery, the rebs will quit fighting,
因为他们就是为维护奴隶制而战的
since slavery’s what they’re fighting for.
林肯先生 您总是这样说
Mr. Lincoln, you always say so.
修正案一出♥台♥
With the amendment,
奴隶制就会废除 南方叛军也会投降
slavery’s ended and they’ll give up,
战争也会随之结束
the war can finish then.
假如战争在废奴前就结束 你们还
If the war finished first, before we end slavery, would…
林肯总统说除非废奴
President Lincoln says the war won’t stop unless
否则战争不会结束
we finish slavery.
我说假如 南军人困马乏
But if it did. The South is exhausted.
假如他们弹尽粮绝
If they run out of bullets and men,
你还会让你们的
would you still want your…
你们那里的议员是谁
Who’s your representative?
杰佛逊市 是波顿议员吗
Jeff City? That’s, Congressman Burton?
瘦竹竿波顿 我是说约西亚·波顿 没错
‘Beanpole’ Burton. I mean, Josiah Burton, yes.
共和党人
Republican.
相信他还在修正案上摇摆不定
Undecided on the question of the amendment, I believe.
或许你可以去拜见他 告诉他你的热情
Perhaps you could call on him and inform him of your enthusiasm.
-好吧 -夫人
– Yeah. – Madam?
如果南军下周就投降
If the rebels surrender next week,
你会希望波顿议员
would you, at the end of this month,
在月底对第13号♥修正案投赞成票吗
want Congressman Burton to vote for the Thirteenth Amendment?
如果战争真的就此结束
If that was how it was, no more war and all,
我想我丈夫
I reckon Mr. Jolly much
会不希望国会通过修正案
prefer not to have Congress pass the amendment.
为什么呢
And, why is that?
因为黑鬼
Niggers.
要是他没有被迫
If he don’t have to
让黑鬼们从阿♥拉♥巴马跑到密苏里
let some Alabama coon come up to Missouri,
偷了他的鸡 抢了他的工作
steal his chickens and his job,
他大概会支持修正案的
he’d much prefer that.
人♥民♥ 我似乎开始理解
The people! I begin to see
你为什么要如此迫不及待地推行修正案了
why you’re in such a great hurry to put it through.
我可以先看看这封信吗 关于收费站的
Would you let me study this letter, sir, about the tollbooth?
明早再来找我
Come back to me in the morning,
我们会依法处理这件事
and we’ll consider what the law says.
别忘了去拜访那位瘦竹竿
And be sure to visit ‘beanpole’.
告诉他你们为了结束战争
and tell him that you support passage of the Amendment,
支持修正案
as a military necessity.
谢谢
Thank you.
尼古拉 有空的话
Oh, Nicolay, when you have a moment…
如果你打算用职位换取投票
If procuring votes with offers of employment is what you intend,
那我就去找奥尔巴尼的朋友
I’ll fetch a friend from Albany
他可以找来
who can supply the skulking men
一些很擅长搞黑幕的人
gifted at this kind of shady work.
免得我劝说民♥主♥党时遭到羞辱
Spare me the indignity of actually speaking to Democrats.
你也不用出面担负责任
Spare you the exposure and liability.
失陪一下 我曾郑重起誓
Pardon me, that’s a distress signal
绝不对这个敲门声置之不理的
which I am bound by solemn oath to respond to.
汤姆·本德尔把加德纳先生送的
Tom Pendel took away the glass camera plates of slaves
装着黑奴照片的玻璃相框给打碎了
Mr. Gardner sent over
汤姆说妈妈觉得那东西让人看着难受 可…
because Tom says mama says they’re too distressing, but…
你整夜都做噩梦 妈妈这么做是对的
You had nightmares all night, mama’s right to…
如果你不让我看那些盘子
I’ll have worse nightmares,
我会做更多噩梦的
if you don’t let me look at the plates again!
也许吧
Perhaps.
我们共和党内承担不起任何闪失
We can’t afford a single defection from anyone in our party,
哪怕一位共和党人在投票时缺席也不行
not even a single Republican absent when they vote.
你知道应该找哪些人谈谈
You know who you’ve got to see.
去找布莱尔家族
Send over to Blair House.
问问普雷斯顿·布莱尔我能否5点去见他一面
Ask Preston Blair can I call on him around five o’clock.
愿上帝助你一臂之力
God help you.
鬼知道他会向你提出什么要求
God alone knows what he’ll ask you to give him.
一旦你们布莱尔家族发话
If the Blairs tell’em to,
就没有共和党人会反对修正案
no Republican will balk at voting for the amendment.
你指的应该是共和党的保守派
No conservative Republican is what you mean.
所有共和党人都应该是保守派
All Republicans ought to be conservative,
我他妈在自己家里建立了这个党
I founded this party in my own goddamned home
希望它成为一个保守的反奴隶制党派
to be a conservative antislavery party,
而不是该死的废奴主义激进派的玩物
not a hobbyhorse for goddamned radical abolitionists.
小声点 爸爸
Damp down the dyspepsia, Daddy!
你会把孩子吓到的
You’ll frighten the child.
你需要我们稳定住
You need us to keep
共和党内的保守派
the conservative side of the party in the traces
与此同时你去说服
while you diddle the radicals
并拉拢塞德斯·史蒂文斯那伙激进派
and bundle up with Thaddeus Stevens’ gang,
你需要我们的帮助
You need our help.
是的 没错
Yes, sir, I do.
-那我们有什么好处 -你也太直接了
– Well, what do we get? – Whoo! Blunt!
礼貌一点儿 蒙蒂
Your manners, Monty.
我算知道为什么林肯先生把你逐出内阁了
Must be why Mr. Lincoln pushed you out of his cabinet.
他不是被逐出的
He was pushed out.
-我不是被逐出的 -当然不是
– I wasn’t pushed. – Oh of course you weren’t.
我主动辞职的
I agreed to resign.
他被逐出是为了安抚那些该死的废奴激进派
He was pushed out to placate the goddamn radical abolishonists!
爸爸 请你注意点
Oh Daddy, please! Daddy.
小伙子 你不介意吧
Oh. You don’t mind, boy, do you?
他跟士兵一起混过
He spends his days with soldiers.
-他们教了我一首歌♥ -是嘛
– They taught me a song! – Did they?
当兵的最会唱歌♥了
Soldiers know all manner of songs.
你哥哥鲍勃还好吗
How’s your brother Bob?
他还在上学
He’s at school now,
不过再过4天他就回来参加宴会了
but he’s coming to visit in four days. For the shindy!
上学 真棒啊
At school? Ain’t that fine!
至少没去参军
Good he’s not in the army!
他想去 但是妈妈不让他去
He wants to be, but mama said he can’t…
当兵危险得很
Dangerous life, soldiering.
你妈妈不让他去很明智
Your mama is wise to keep him clean out of that.
现在你父亲知道我想要什么
Now… your Daddy knows that what I want,
换取我对他的帮助
in return for all the help I give him,
如他所承诺的一样 我要去里士满
is to go down to Richmond like he said I could,
萨瓦那一沦陷我就去
as soon as Savannah fell,
我还要和杰斐逊·戴维斯谈一谈
and talk to Jefferson Davis.
告诉他我能提供的条件
Give me terms I can offer to Jefferson Davis
以开启和谈
to start negotiating for peace.
他会和我谈的
He’ll talk to me!
你们党内的保守派
Conservative members of your party
想让你听一听来自里士满的提议
want you to listen to overtures from Richmond.
这才是重中之重
That above all!
不到别无选择的时候
They’ll vote for this rash and dangerous amendment
他们是不会支持这仓促又危险的修正案的
only if every other possibility is exhausted.
共和党人不等于废奴主义者
Our Republicans ain’t abolitionists.
我们不能强迫他们支持废奴
We can’t tell our people they can vote yes on abolishing slavery
除非我们可以告诉他们
unless at the same time we can tell’em
你这样做是为了停止战争
that you’re seeking a negotiated peace.
里奥 到里士满还远着呢
Leo, it’s a hundred miles to Richmond.
-给他喝点酒让他多睡一会 -好的 夫人
– Get him drunk so he can sleep. – Yes ma’am.
爸爸
Here, Daddy.
-谢谢 -我来帮你铺好
– Oh. Thank you. – Let’s fix this up…
-我帽子呢 -在里奥那
– Where’s my hat? – Leo has your hat.
好了吗 去争取和平吧
All right? Go make peace.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!