要我陪您吗
Do you need company?
这种时候 我一个人就行
In times like this, I’m best alone.
致陆军总司令尤利西斯·格兰特 锡蒂波因特
“Lieutenant General Ulysses S. Grant, City Point.
我极有诚意的读完您的电报
I have read your words with interest.”
不论我如何应对里士满官员来访一事
“I ask that, regardless of any action I take
我要求您
in the matter of the visit of the Richmond commissioners,
请您务必让军队
you maintain among your troops military preparedness for battle,
一如既往地时刻保持备战状态
as you have done until now.”
请桑德斯上尉带该特使团前来华盛顿与我商谈
“Have Captain Saunders convey the commissioners to me here in Washington.”
-亚伯拉罕·林肯再加上日期 -好的 先生
– “A. Lincoln” and the date. – Yes sir.
现在就发吗 先生
Shall I transmit, sir?
我们能决定自己的出生吗
You think we choose to be born?
我觉得不能
I don’t suppose so.
我们是不是生逢其时
Are we fitted to the times we’re born into?
我不知道自己是不是
Well, I don’t know about myself.
但您也许是的 先生
You may be… sir. Fitted.
你是怎么想的
What do you reckon?
我是名工程师
Well, I’m an engineer.
这个时代有机械 但是没有人天生就适合
I reckon there’s machinery but… No one’s done the fitting.
你是名工程师
You’re an engineer.
那一定知道欧几里得的定理和公理
You must know Euclid’s axioms and common notions.
我在学校学过 但是
I must’ve in school, but…
我受过的学校教育不多
I never had much of schooling,
但是在一本借到的旧书上
but I read Euclid,
读过欧几里得
in an old book I borrowed.
这里没有理解住多少 但是
Little enough ever found its way in here, but…
一旦学会就永远都记得
once learnt it stayed learnt.
欧几里得的第一条公理就是
Euclid’s first common notion is this:
等于同量的量彼此相等
“Things which are equal to the same thing are equal to each other.”
这是数理的规则
That’s a rule of mathematical reasoning.
它是对的 因为适用
It’s true because it works.
能而且永远适用
Has done and always will do.
在书里
In his book, hmm…
欧几里得称此为自证
Euclid says this is “self-evident.”
看到吗 就算是两千年前的数理定律
D’you see, there it is, even in that two thousand year old book of mechanical law:
也认为 等于同量的量彼此相等这个道理
it is a self evident truth that things which are equal to the same thing
是不证自明的
are equal to each other.
我们生而平等
We begin with equality.
这才是世界的起源 不是吗
That’s the origin, isn’t it?
这种平等 我们称之为 公平
That balance, that’s… that’s fairness.
称之为正义
That’s justice.
请把最后一句念给我听
Just read me back the last sentence of that telegram, please.
请桑德斯上尉带该特使团前来华盛顿与我商谈
“Have Captain Saunders convey the commissioners to me here in Washington.”
做点小改动吧 山姆
A slight emendation if you would, Sam.
请桑德斯上尉带领该特使团
“Have Captain Saunders convey the gentlemen
到达弗吉尼亚州的汉普顿港群
aboard the River Queen
登上大河女王号♥
as far as Hampton Roads, Virginia,
之后 原地等待
and there wait until…
我的后续指令
further advice from me.”
切勿前往华盛顿
“Do not proceed to Washington.”
环球报 先驱报
The World, the Herald
泰♥晤♥士♥报♥ 纽约客 芝加哥报
and the Times, New York, Chicago,
商业日报 甚至你家乡的小报都来了
the Journal of Commerce, even your hometown paper’s here.
万分恳请您
Say you believe
告诉他们你只认可不同种族的法律地位平等
only in legal equality for all races,
而不是种族平等
not racial quality. I beg you, sir.
要么听我劝告
Compromise.
要么以身犯险
Or you risk it all.
史蒂文斯先生 我有个问题要问您
I’ve asked you a question, Mr. Stevens,
也请您回答我
and you must answer me.
您是否认为要按字面的意思
Do you or do you not hold that the precept that
去理解人人生而平等
“all men are created equal”is meant literally?
这难道不是修正案的真实目的吗
Is that not the true purpose of the amendment?
用以实现您的终极野心 来提升
To promote your ultimate and ardent dream to elevate…
修正案的真正目的 伍德先生
The true purpose of the amendment, Mr. Wood,
难道是您说的那些虚有其表
you perfectly-named,
肤浅至极 繁琐不堪的东西吗
brainless, obstructive object?
史蒂文斯先生 您一直坚持认为
Now you have always insisted, Mr. Stevens,
黑人和我们白人是一样的
that Negroes are the same as white men are.
修正案的真正目的
The true purpose of the amendment…
我并非肯定一切平等
I don’t hold with equality in all things,
而只是承认他们的法律地位平等
only with equality before the law and nothing more.
不是这样 你
That’s not so! You…
你是认为黑人和白人完全一样
You believe that Negroes are entirely equal to white men.
你之前无数次这样表态
You’ve said it a thousand times…
不知羞 不知羞
For shame! For shame!
不要再闪烁其词了 伍德议员
Stop prevaricating and answer, Representative Wood!
我不认为人人生来一切平等
I don’t hold with equality in all things,
而只是承认法律面前人人平等
only with equality before the law…
-这么多年了…-仅此而已
– After the decades…- And nothing more!
他在回答你的问题
He’s answered your questions!
这个修正案和种族平等没有关系
This amendment has naught to do with race equality!
-我不认为人人生来一切平等 -你一直以来都坚持的观点呢
– I don’t hold with equality in all things… – You have long insisted, have you not…
-只是法律面前人人平等 -难道认为有色人种
– only with equality before the law… – that the dusk colored race…
-仅此而已 -和白色人种不一样
– and nothing more. – is no different from the white one.
想不到这老头子竟然能装到现在
Who’d ever’ve guessed that old nightmare capable of such control?
说不定哪一天他就能成为一名政♥治♥家
He might make a politician someday…
-我要出去会 -肯克莱太太
– I need to go. – Mrs. Keykley!
你含糊其辞以求得浑水摸鱼
Your frantic attempt to delude us now
真是不配做一个议员
is unworthy of a representative.
事实上 甚至不配做一个白人公民
It is in fact, unworthy of a white man!
当我面前站着一个来自俄亥俄州
How can I hold that all men are created equal,
臭气熏天 道德沦丧的男人
when here before me stands, stinking,
你让我怎么相信人类的一切均为平等
the moral carcass of the gentleman from Ohio,
这不就是劣等人存在的证明吗
proof that some men are inferior,
造物主只给予了他们最低等的智慧
endowed by their Maker with dim wits,
血管里流淌的不是鲜红炽热的鲜血
impermeable to reason with cold pallid slime
而是冰冷呆滞的泥浆
in their veins instead of hot red blood!
比起人类 你更像爬行动物 乔治
You are more reptile than man, George,
如此的低下渺小
so low and flat
以至于人类无法用脚把你踩死
that the foot of man is incapable of crushing you!
胆大包天
How dare you!
即使是你 彭德尔顿
Yet even you, Pendleton,
早就该因叛国罪被送上绞刑架的你
who should have been gibbetted for treason long before today,
即使一文不值 也该被法律平等对待
even worthless unworthy you ought to be treated equally before the law!
因此 先生 我再一再二再三强调
And so again, sir, and again and again and again I say:
我不认为人人生来一切平等
I DO NOT HOLD WITH EQUALITY IN ALL THINGS.
我认同的是法律面前人人平等
ONLY WITH EQUALITY BEFORE THE LAW.
议长先生 您竟然容许这种无♥耻♥粗俗的人
Mr. Speaker, will you permit this vile boorish man
诽谤我 威胁我
to slander ant to threaten me and…
您问过我 我什么时候惊讶过
You asked… if ever I was surprised.
就在今天 史蒂文斯先生
Today… Mr. Stevens,
我十分震惊
I was surprised.
您为了种族平等斗争30年
You’ve led the battle for race equality for thirty years!
这是国家未来的基石
The basis of… of every hope for this country’s future life,
现在您却否认黑人的权利 真令人作呕
you denied Negro equality! I’m nauseated.
您否认人人都有生而为人的权利
You refused to say that all humans are, well… human!
您出♥卖♥♥♥了自己的灵魂吗 史蒂文斯先生
Have you lost your very soul, Mr. Stevens
您不是什么都敢说吗
Is there nothing you won’t say?
真抱歉让你恶心 阿萨 这肯定让人不适
I’m sorry you’re nauseous, Asa, that must be unpleasant.
我希望修正案能通过
I want the amendment to pass.
这样宪法中唯一关于奴隶制的表述便是
So that the Constitution’s first and only mention of slavery
它毫无疑问应该被废除
is its absolute prohibition.
为了修正案 为了我终生的事业
For this amendment, for which I have worked all of my life
为了无数为争取权利而牺牲的黑人
and for which countless colored men and women have fought and died
现在 也为了那些护国安邦的将士
and now hundreds of thousands of soldiers.
我没有出♥卖♥♥♥灵魂 先生 没有
No, sir, no.
也没有什么事不敢说的
It seems there is very nearly nothing I won’t say.
我不进去了
I’m not going in.
你说过想帮我
You said you wanted to help me.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!