做出内阁应有的支持
like my cabinet’s most always done.
牧师说 我可以少些布道言说
As the preacher said, I could write shorter sermons but
但我一提笔 就无法停下
once I start I get too lazy to stop.
依我看 先生 您这正是
It seems to me, sir, you’re describing precisely
民♥主♥党所言的独♥裁♥者形象
the sort of dictator the Democrats have been howling about.
独♥裁♥者向来无视法律
Dictators aren’t susceptible to law.
他也如此 他宣扬正是独♥裁♥之举
Neither is he! He just said as much!
无视法♥院♥ 曲解道义 如此
Ignoring the courts, twisting meanings, what…
-如此慷慨激昂 -那么
– what reins him in from, from… – Well,
我想人人都会有激动的时刻
the people do that, I suppose.
一年半前 在第二次竞选前
I signed the Emancipation Proclamation a year and half,
我签署了《解放黑人奴隶宣言》
before my second election,
我自认有权签署
I felt I was within my power to do it.
然而我也知道我或许有错
However I also felt that I might be wrong about that.
我早知人们会那么说
I knew the people would tell me,
就给了他们一年半的时间考虑
I gave ’em a year and half
而他们再次选择了我
to think about it, and they reelected me.
一到二月的首要之事
And come February the first,
便是我要签署第13号♥修正案
I intend to sign the Thirteenth Amendment.
阿什利代表先生
Well, Mr. Representative Ashley!
国会山那有什么新闻
Tell us the news from the Hill.
新闻
Ah! Well, news…
为何如此突然
Why for instance is this thus,
这其中又有何缘由
and what is the reason for this thusness?
詹姆斯 我们想由你
James, we want you to bring the
在众议院中提议反奴修正案
anti-slavery amendment to the floor for debate.
-不好意思 您说什么 -即刻提出
– Excuse me, what? – Immediately.
您负责管理修正案 对吧
You are the amendment’s manager, are you not?
是没错 但
I am, of course, but…
我们还要指望激进分子的支持
And we’re counting on robust radical support,
所以通知史蒂文斯先生一声
so tell Mr. Stevens
我们期待他的支持 此事会很艰难
we expect him to put his back into it. It’s not going to be easy,
-但我们相信…-不可能
– but we trust… – It’t impossible.
不行 抱歉 我们无法
No, I am sorry, no, we can’t
立刻在众议院组织任何事宜
organize anything immediately in the House.
从选举起我就一直在游说民♥主♥党员
I have been canvassing the Democrats since the election,
以防他们被击败后一蹶不振
in case any of them softened after they got walloped.
但他们的态度进来日益强硬 国务卿先生
But they have stiffened if anything, Mr. Secretary,
选票还不够
there aren’t nearly enough votes…
我们是捕鲸者 阿什利先生
We’re whalers, Mr. Ashley!
捕鲸者 抓鲸鱼的吗
Whalers? As in, um… whales?
我们追杀这条鲸鱼很久了
We’re been chasing this whale for a long time.
我们最后向这怪物背上刺入了鱼叉
We’re finally placed a harpoon in the monster’s back.
开战了 詹姆斯 开战了
It’s in, James, it’s in!
我们履行了契约 时不可待
We finish the deed now, we can’t wait!
否则他一旦反身而动
Or with one flop of his tail,
就会使我们的努力付之一炬
he’ll smash the boat and send us all to eternity.
今年本月31日
On the 31st of this month. Of this year.
让众议院就修正案投票
Put the amendment up for a vote.
捕鲸者
Whalers?
他这么说的
That’s what he said.
他这辈子从未上过捕鲸船
The man’s never been near a whale ship in his life!
撤回激进分子的支持
Withdraw radical support,
逼他放弃他的野心
force him to abandon this scheme, whatever he’s up to.
他做事总拖泥带水
He-He… He drags his feet about everything,
林肯 为何这次如此心急
Lincoln. Why this urgency?
我们人多 可以不费力地
We got it through the Senate
让参议院通过了此事
without difficulty because we had the numbers.
这样12月众议院也会同样通过
Come December you’ll have the same in the House.
修正案会轻松通过
The amendment’ll be the easy work of ten minutes.
他在以修正案胁迫
He’s using the threat of the amendment
反叛者立刻投降
to frighten the rebels into an immediate surrender.
我想我们会很高兴看到那一幕的
I imagine we’d rejoice to see that.
就算我们通过了
Will you rejoice, when the
等南方各州遂了林肯的意
Southern states have re-joined the Union pell-mell as
重新加入♥联♥邦的乱局
Lincoln intends them to,
依次拒批修正案的话 你会开心吗
and one by one each refuses to ratify the amendment?
因此我们不会通过
If we pass it, which we won’t.
我们为什么要同他合作
Why are we… co-operating with-with him?
我们都知道他在做什么 他会做什么
We all know what he’s doing, and we all know what he’ll do.
我们不能顺应
We can’t offer up abolition’s
最想合法废奴的人的手腕
best legal prayer to his games and tricks.
他说过他会
He’s said he’d welcome the
以被囚的奴隶迎接南军
South back with all its slaves in chains.
三年前他那么说 以平息
Three years ago he said that. To calm the border states
-各州…-我不知道
– when we were… – I don’t.
你刚说
You said
我们知道他要做什么 但我不知道
“we all know what he’ll do.” I don’t know.
-你知道他不可信 -信任吗
– You know he isn’t to be trusted. – Trust? Oh…
抱歉 我还以为
I’m sorry, I was under the
你是政♥治♥家呢
misapprehension your chosen profession was politics.
我未曾信任过总统 或是任何人
I’ve never trusted the President. I never trust anyone.
但他没有让你惊讶吗
But hasn’t he surprised you?
没有 史蒂文斯先生 一点也没有
No, Mr. Stevens, he hasn’t.
什么也震惊不了你 阿萨
Nothing surprises you, Asa.
所以对你而言不存在惊讶
Therefore nothing about you is surprising.
也许这就是为何
Perhaps that is why your
您没有再次当选
constituents did not re-elect you to the coming term.
太迟了 我老了 我要回家
It’s late, I’m old, I’m going home.
林肯成日游手好闲 是南方人
Lincoln the inveterate dawdler, Lincoln the Southerner,
是屈从的妥协者
Lincoln the capitulating compromiser,
是我们的敌人 也是
our… adversary and….
被上帝遗弃的共和党 我党的领袖
leader of the god forsaken Republican Party, our party.
亚伯拉罕·林肯要求我们
Abraham Lincoln has asked us to work with him
与他一起废除美国的奴隶制
to accomplish the death of slavery in America.
即便反对
Retain, even in opposition,
也要保持你们讶异的能力
your capacity for astonishment.
谁都不许提起总统
The President is never to be mentioned.
也不许提起我 不注意的话就等着喝西北风吧
Nor I. You’re paid for your discretion.
不过 不给钱我就不能保证
Hell, you can have that for nothin’.
我们要钱是为了贿赂选票
What we need money for is bribes.
钱能通神
It’d speed things up.
不 任何事都必须合法
No. Nothing strictly illegal.
贿赂议员的确不合法
It’s not illegal to bribe Congressmen.
但不受贿他们就会饿死
They starve otherwise.
我跟比尔博先生和莱瑟姆先生解释了
I have explained to Mr. Bilbo and Mr. Latham
我们为投赞成票的民♥主♥党人提供工作
that we’re offering patronage jobs to the Dems who vote yes.
-只提供工作 仅此而已 -没错
– Jobs and nothing more. – That’s correct.
议员真不值钱
Congressmen come cheap!
几千块就搞定了
Few thousand bucks’ll buy you all you need.
你这么说 总统会不高兴的
The President would be unhappy to hear you did that.
那我们输了的话他会高兴吗
Well, will he be unhappy if we lose?
先生们 我付的钱只能用在
The money I managed to raise for this endeavor
你们的衣食住行花销上
is only for your fees, your food, and lodgings, sir.
要是那个松鼠猖獗
If that squirrel-infested
四个人挤在一起的阁楼算宿舍的话
attic you’ve quartered us in’s any measure,
你这费用还真吃紧
you ain’t raised much.
可以开工了吗
Shall we get to work?
众议院有请来自纽约的
The House recognizes Fernando Wood,
尊敬的代表费尔南多·伍德
the honorable representative from New York.
尊敬的各位同僚
Estimable colleagues.
两年前的本月
Two bloody years ago this month,
亚伯拉罕古猿国王一世
his Highness King Abraham Africanus the First,
我们的伟大篡权暴君
our Great Usurping Caesar,
破坏人身保护权和言论自♥由♥权之徒
violator of habeas corpus and freedom of the press,
滥用宪法赋予州的权利之人
abuser of states’ rights…
若林肯真是暴君 伍德先生
If Lincoln really were a tyrant, Mr. Wood,
他早就会把你的空脑壳钉穿了
he’d’a had your empty head impaled on a pike!
这样对我们的国家也好
And the country better for it!
你们这些激进的共和独♥裁♥者
Your radical republican autocrat

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!