怎么了
What?
没事
Nothing.
我过敏
I’m allergic.
你不能闯进来 卢斯
This is not okay, Luce.
我只是想谈谈
I just want to talk.
这样不行
Well, this is not okay.
太可怕了
That’s awful.
有人叫过你黑鬼吗
You ever been called that?
没有
No.
怪不得你总是自视甚高
No wonder you’re always so pleased with yourself.
这话什么意思
What does that mean?
你气愤人们把你放进盒子里
You’re mad people put you in a box.
-是你把我放进盒子里 -我保护了你
– You put me in a box. – I protected you.
但没保护德肖恩
But not Deshaun.
你抓到他之后
After you busted him,
你找来我 科里
you had that meeting with me and Corey
还有队里所有的黑人选手
and all the other black runners on the squad.
你说不沦为刻板印象
And you said it is your solemn duty
是你们庄严的责任
to never be stereotypes.
学学卢斯
Look at Luce.
成为卢斯
Be like Luce.
是的
Yes.
我记得他们都看着我
And I remember them all looking at me.
他们并不嫉妒
They weren’t jealous.
他们只是想弄明白
They were just trying to figure it out.
我怎么变成那样
How do I get that?
而我满脑子想的都是德肖恩
And all I can think about was Deshaun.
他唯一的希望就是那个体育奖学金
All he had was that athletic scholarship
而你却把它夺走了
and you took it from him.
你把它夺走是因为他不是我
You took it from him because he wasn’t me.
-对 -为什么
– Yes. – Why?
因为多一个我没有打♥压♥的德肖恩·米克斯
Because for every Deshaun Meeks I don’t come down on,
就会多一个我没法栽培的卢斯·埃德加
there’s a Luce Edgar I can’t lift out.
胡说八道
That’s bullshit.
为什么我们必须做到完美才能被接纳
Why do we have to be perfect to be accepted?
孩子 这就是我们的人生
Boy, that’s our life!
不 你只是太渴望得到认可
No, you’re so desperate for approval
为此你不惜牺牲自己人
that you’ll eat your own just to get it.
-谁的认可 -你觉得呢
– Whose approval? – Who do you think?
每一个让你感到身为黑人不够好的人
Everyone who made you feel like being black wasn’t good enough.
但我不需要他们的认可
But I don’t need their approval.
我不会为了让别人好受
I’m not going to be somebody’s symbol
就化为一个象征
just to make them feel better.
你还是不明白
You still don’t get it.
你不明白
You don’t get it.
这不仅仅关乎你我
It’s not just about you and it’s not about me.
美国把你放在盒子里
America put you in a box.
里面狭小肮脏 你动弹不得
And it’s tight and it’s dirty and you can’t move.
但现实就是这样
But guess what? Too bad.
不管你愿不愿意 我们都在一个盒子里
We’re all in there together, whether you like it or not.
而盒子里的光是有限的 卢斯
And only so much light gets in that box, Luce.
有人能照到 有人照不到
Some people get it, and some people don’t.
但谁能照到不是由你决定的
But it’s not on you to decide who gets it and who doesn’t.
你说得太对了 是你
You’re damn right it’s on you!
是你
It’s on you.
毕竟 你忙着制♥造♥不在场证明的时候
After all, who did you use to do your little errands
你找了谁帮你搞小动作呢
while you were busy establishing alibis?
这不是一回事
It’s not the same thing.
你还有很多要学的 小伙子
You got a lot to learn, little man.
现在你给我滚出去
Now you get the fuck out of my house.
滚出去
Get out of my house!
见鬼 见鬼
Shit! Shit!
你在藏圣诞礼物吗
Are you hiding Christmas presents?
你以前就是把我的圣诞礼物藏在那里的
That’s where you used to hide my Christmas presents.
你每次都很惊讶
You were always so surprised.
我很擅长表现得惊讶
I’m good at acting surprised.
给你
Here.
还记得丹尼斯吗
Remember Dennis?
记得
Yeah.
我当然记得丹尼斯
Of course I remember Dennis.
我想我们可以再试一次
I thought we could try again.
谢谢
Thanks…
妈妈
Mom.
你的前途一片光明
You have your whole future ahead of you.
充满可能性
Full of potential.
希望你是对的
Hope you’re right.
我确定我是对的 亲爱的
I know I’m right, honey.
我确定
I know.
文化月集♥会♥
大家好
Hi, everyone.
我想感谢陶森校长给我这个机会
I want thank Principal Towson for giving me this opportunity.
能在此向你们讲述我的故事对我来说意义重大
It means a lot to be able to talk with each of you about my story,
有人说我的故事很独特
which I’m told is pretty unique,
但我还是觉得自己很普通
even though I still feel pretty regular.
我很幸运 有两个了不起的父母
I’m lucky enough to have two amazing parents
他们在我七岁的时候
who when they saw my picture
看到我的照片没有被吓到
at seven years old weren’t scared.
或者他们被吓到了 不过掩藏的很好
Or if they were they did a good job of hiding it
因为养育我长大的父母
because the parents I grew up with
心中只有爱和勇气
were nothing but loving and brave.
我来到美国
I came here to America,
来到这所学校
to this school,
然后找到了自我
and I found myself.
第一次见到我母亲的时候
When I first met my mother,
她不会念我的名字
she couldn’t pronounce my name.
她一遍又一遍的尝试
She tried over and over
想找准音节的重音
to get the emphasis on the syllables correct,
但她就是不会念
but she just couldn’t.
所以我父亲提议给我改名
So my father suggested that they rename me.
他们选了卢斯这个名字 含义是光
They picked Luce, which means light.
因为我妈妈总是说
Because my mom always said that
有一小束光在我体内照耀
there was a little beam of light shone inside me.
要是那束光驱散
If only they could sweep the darkness
前七年的黑暗就好了
of those first seven years away.
我在考虑今晚演讲的内容时
I thought of that as I was figuring out
想到了这件事
what to say to you all tonight.
我意识到身为美国人我是多么幸运
And I realized how lucky I am to be an American.
因为在这里我有重新开始的机会
Because here I got the chance to start over.
在这里我们可以做自己
Here we get to be who we are
虽有缺点仍被接纳
and still be accepted despite our flaws.
在这里我们可以讲述自己的故事
Here we get to tell our own story.
而这是我的故事
This is mine.
他们第一次告诉我我的新名字的时候
When they first told me my new name,
我才刚开始学英语
I was still just learning English,
于是我把它当成了”loose”这个词
so I took it to be the word “loose,”
Loose
L-o-o-s-e,
定义是可拆卸的
which is defined as something detachable,
不易固定的东西
not easily fixed in place, or pinned down…
卢斯

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!