Non. Non. Je ne suis pas d’accord.
你写的那本书在哪儿呢
And what’s this book of yours I’ve been hearing about?
就是这本吗
Is this it?
-是的 那个 -我看一眼吧
– Yeah, this is… uh… – I’ll take a look.
你读过了吗 海明威
Have you read it, Hemingway?
没有 你来看吧
No, this I leave to you.
你总能给我的作品提出最好的意见
You’ve always been a fine judge of my work.
“商店的名字叫’过去时日'”
“‘Out of the Past’ was the name of the store,”
“那里的商品都蕴藏着回忆”
“And its products consisted of memories.”
“在一个年代曾被视为俗物甚至低劣的东西”
“What was prosaic and even vulgar to one generation,”
“经过岁月的洗礼之后”
“had been transmuted by the mere passing of years”
“也不可思议地变得弥足珍贵 与众不同”
“to a status at once magical and also camp.”
我爱这个故事
I love it.
我已经深陷其中 不能自拔了
I’m already hooked. Hooked!
我今晚就看
I’ll start it tonight,
但首先 我要跟你说点事
but first, you and I have something to talk about.
那个编辑的答复我都等两个月了
I’ve been waiting for two months for a reply from that editor.
我把我们看过的那篇还有其他四篇文章
I sent him the piece you and I looked at, plus four others,
加上四个小短篇给了他
plus four shorter pieces.
我给了他一份…
And this guy, I gave him a copy of the…
-两个月了还是杳无音讯 -对
– Nevertheless, two months: nary a word. – Right.
你真的喜欢小说的开头吗
So were you really hooked with those opening lines?
我一直很喜欢以前的事物
Oh, the past has always had a great charisma for me.
我也是 非常喜欢
Oh, me, too. Great charisma for me.
我总说自己出生的太晚了
I always say that I was born too late.
我也是
Mmm. Moi aussi.
巴黎的美丽年代最适合我
For me, la Belle epoque Paris would have been perfect.
巴黎的美丽年代 19世纪末20世纪初
欧洲的文化 艺术及生活方式等都在这个时期发展日臻成熟
-是吗 比现在还好吗 -是的
– Really? Better than now? – Yes.
那是另一种感性 路灯 小亭子
Another whole sensibility, the street lamps, the kiosques,
马和马车
the… horse and carriages,
和当年的美心餐厅[富人炫耀之处]
and Maxim’s then.
你的英语说得很好
You speak very good English.
-没有 才不好 -不 说得很好
– No, not really. – No, you do!
你跟毕加索在一起多久了
How long have you been dating Picasso?
天哪 我居然那么问了
My God, did I just say that?
什么
Pardon?
我没想打探
I don’t mean to… I didn’t mean to pry…
你出生在巴黎吗
Were you born in Paris?
我生在波尔多
I was born in Bordeaux.
搬到这儿来学习时尚
I moved here to study fashion.
你不想听我说这些吧
But you don’t want to hear all this.
我想听
Yes, I do.
继续说 你搬来学习时尚
Yes, continue. You moved here to study fashion…
我来跟可可·香奈儿学习
I… came here to study with Coco Chanel,
就爱上了巴黎
and I fell in love with Paris,
还有
and also,
一位深色瞳仁的
a very dark-eyed,
神秘犹太意大利混血画家
haunted Jewish-Italian painter.
我知道阿梅代奥有别的女人
And I knew Amedeo had another woman, but still,
但当他让我跟他同居的时候
I couldn’t resist moving into his apartment
还是没能拒绝
when he asked,
那六个月过得很美好
and it was a beautiful six months.
莫迪里阿尼吗
M..M… Modigliani?
阿梅代奥·莫迪利亚尼 意大利画家
表现主义画派代表之一
你跟莫迪里阿尼同居过吗
You lived with… You lived with Modigliani?
既然你问了 我就跟你讲讲我的伤心事
You asked me, so I’m telling you my sad story.
跟布拉克在一起时 他还有别的女人
With Braque, though, there was another woman.
乔治·布拉克:法国画家 雕塑家
与毕加索开创立体主义运动
很多女人
Many.
而现在
And now,
跟帕布罗在一起
with Pablo.
他是结婚了 但是
I mean, he’s married, but…
他每天喜怒无常
every day, it’s on-again, off-again.
真不知道怎么能有女人待在他身边
I don’t know how any woman can stay with him.
他太难伺候了
He’s so difficult.
天哪 你把艺术果儿发展到了一个新高度
My God, you take “Art groupie” to a whole new level!
骨肉皮[果儿]:追求和明星发♥生♥关♥系♥的人
-什么 -没什么 我只是说…
– Pardon? – Nothing. I was just saying that…
跟我说说你自己吧
But tell me about yourself.
什么 怎么说呢
What? Well, what can I say…
那你是来巴黎写作的吗
So, have you come to Paris to write?
因为
Because, you know,
最近有很多美国人想要搬到巴黎来
these days, so many Americans feel the need to move here.
海明威很有魅力吧
Isn’t Hemingway attractive?
我喜欢他的作品
I love his writing.
是啊 其实我是来游览的
I know. Actually, I’m just here visiting.
你得留在这儿
Oh, you must stay here.
-是吗 -嗯 对作家和艺术家来说
– Really? – Yeah. It’s a wonderful city, for
-这座城市十分美妙 -是啊
– writers, artists. – I know.
我想留下 但是留下并不容易
I’d like to, but it’s not that easy.
还有
And,
我还不够爱你的书
I didn’t fall in love madly with your book…
-是吗 -所以我想听听剩下的部分
– Really? – so I want to hear the rest of it.
你真的喜欢吗
You really like?
-因为我还在修改 -彭德
– Because I’m still kind of tinkering… – Pender?
我们去蒙马特吧
Yeah, let’s go up to Montmartre.
-去喝一杯吧 -好的
– Let’s get a drink, OK? – Uh… yeah.
等我一读完你的书
I’ll discuss your book with you
就跟你讨论 在哪能找到你
as soon as I’ve finished it. Where can I reach you?
可以的话
Why don’t I drop back by,
我再来一趟吧 省得麻烦你找我
instead of you trying to find me, if that’s all right?
-随时欢迎 -跟我们一起去吗
– We run an open house. – Are you coming with us?
我很想去 但是不行
I wish that I could. I cant, but
希望还能再见到你
hopefully I’ll see you again eventually.
那太好了
That would be nice.
-走吧 -总有一天
– Let’s go! – One of these days,
我要把你从这个伟大而霸道的天才
I plan to steal you away from this genius
胡安·米罗:西班牙画家 雕塑家
超现实主义的代表人物
身边偷过来 毕竟他又不是米罗
who’s great, but he’s no Miró?
我是吉尔·彭德
I’m Gil Pender.
我刚才跟海明威和毕加索在一起
I was with Hemingway, and Picasso.
帕布罗·毕加索和欧内斯特·海明威
Pablo Picasso, and Ernest Hemingway.
我是帕萨迪纳的吉尔·彭德
I’m Gil Pender, from Pasadena!
童子军 大一英语不及格
Cub Scouts. I failed freshman English.
小人物吉尔·彭德拿自己的小说
Little old Gil Pender has his novel
给格特鲁德·斯泰因过目
with Gertrude Stein.
那个姑娘真是太
Boy, that girl was so…
可爱了
lovely.
你们昨晚没跟我们去看电影
Well, it’s a shame you two
真是太可惜了
didn’t come to the movies with us last night,
我们看了一部非常有趣的美国电影
We saw a wonderfully funny American film.
谁演的
Who was in it?
我不知道 忘了叫什么了
Oh, I don’t know. I forget the name.
精彩但不留痕迹
Wonderful but forgettable.
听上去像我看过的一部片子
That sounds like a picture I’ve seen.
我可能还是编剧
I probably wrote it.
我知道那很蠢又幼稚
Well, I know it was moronic and infantile, and
完全没有智慧和说服力
utterly lacking in any wit or believability,
即使这样 约翰跟我还是开怀大笑了
but John and I laughed in spite of all that.
我们走过这边了吗
Have we been down this way yet?
走过吗
Was it?
你昨晚几点回来的
What time did you get in last night?
没多晚 我…
Not that late… uh… I was… uh…
我真觉得这些午夜漫游
I’m really finding these
对我的创作很有帮助
midnight strolls great for me creatively,
少了白天让我分心的事物
without the distractions of the day.
我大概今晚还会去
I’ll probably end up going on another little
-再逛逛 -再说吧
– hike tonight. – Well, we’ll see.
好 再说吧
Yeah. We’ll see.
看那些杯子的形状多美
Oh, look at those wonderful glass figures.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!