No. He always wanted to be an artist, but the family disapproved.
于是就做了律师
So, he took up law.
好笑的是 我从没听过他谈论案子
The joke is I’ve never once heard him discuss a case.
他每天去俱乐部 从不去办公室
He goes to his club every day, and never his office.
我也不知道他究竟是做什么的
So, I don’t really know what he does.
-天呐 -维靳真不可靠啊
– Oh, dear. – Wiggin is fallible.
恐怕 波特小姐
I’m afraid, Miss Potter,
您的名声这下可毁了
your reputation is now officially dented.
《让我教你跳舞吧》
‘Let me teach you how to dance’.
您会跳舞吗 波特小姐
Do you dance, Miss Potter?
不 跳不好
No. Well, not well.
我起初也是手忙脚乱
I make a terrible hash of it too when I try,
但歌♥词很美
but the words are very sweet.
您知道歌♥词啊 能唱唱吗
You know the words? Will you sing the words?
嗯…
Well, er…
让我教你跳舞吧
Let me teach you how to dance
让我领你步入舞池
Let me lead you to the floor
把你的手交给我
Simply place your hand in mine
不要再多想什么
And then think of nothing more.
让音乐施展魔力
Let the music cast its spell
让气氛酝酿升华
Give the atmosphere a chance.
跟随我的舞步
Simply follow where I lead
让我教你跳舞吧
Let me teach you how to dance.
波特小姐
Miss Potter.
我知道您已经决定不婚
I know you have decided not to marry.
我这辈子也一直以为自己不会结婚
All my life, I thought that I would not marry either
但发生了一些事让我改了主意
but something has happened that has caused me to change my mind.
沃恩先生
Mr Warne.
不 请让我说完
No, please, let me go on,
如果我现在不说出来 以后怕也没有勇气了
for if I do not say what I have to say it now, I fear I never will.
波特小姐 我希望您能考虑…
Miss Potter, I would like you to consider…
沃恩先生
Mr Warne.
让我能有幸…当然 您可以慢慢考虑
doing me the honour, and I do not expect an immediate answer.
碧翠丝
Beatrix?
我就是带沃恩先生来看他的圣诞礼物
I was just showing Mr Warne his Christmas present.
我是个有教养的未婚女性 妈妈
I’m an impeccably genteel, unmarried lady, Mother.
我可不会请男人进屋来
I haven’t begun to invite men to my room.
沃恩先生 走吧
Mr Warne?
维靳
Wiggin!
那幅画是什么 碧翠丝
What is the picture, Beatrix?
我创作了一本童书
I’ve written and drawn little children’s books,
而且已经出版了
which have been published.
为我出书的先生也来了 诺曼·沃恩先生
The man who published them is here. Mr Norman Warne.
为了感谢他的协助和慷慨
To thank him for his assistance and generosity…
我…
Well… I’m…
我要给他写一则圣诞故事
I’m writing him a Christmas story.
-能讲给我们听听吗 -还没写完呢
– Can we hear it? – It isn’t finished, so…
说吧
Oh, go on.
那么我们道晚安之前
I suppose, before we part for the evening,
我就给大家稍透露一下未完成的
I could share a glimpse of the unfinished tale of
《兔子圣诞晚宴》
‘The Rabbits’ Christmas Party’.
在一个雪特别大的圣诞夜 一只小兔子
One particularly snowy Christmas Eve, a young rabbit
跟他胆小的哥哥们和格外勇敢的姐♥妹♥们♥
and his fearsome older brothers and fiercely brave sister
一起踏上了他们一年一次的旅程
set out on a journey they make every year
他们要去找朋友一起庆祝
to celebrate with their friends.
兔子是种很喜欢交际的动物
Now, rabbits are highly sociable creatures,
据传说
and legend has it
圣诞夜时 不论他们走到了哪里
that wherever they find themselves on Christmas Eve,
都会聚在一起 办一个快乐的聚会
they get together and throw a jolly party!
我之所以知道这样的传说 是因为这是我编的
Now, I know such a legend exists because I made it up.
兔子们穿过森林
The rabbits travel through the woods
走到他们跟亲戚约好的那个洞
to the well-appointed burrow of their cousins
那里有温暖的火
where a warm fire is waiting for them.
他们脱下了结霜的外衣 开始了晚会
They take off their frosty coats and the party begins!
我知道这一晚 他们会大吃 会畅谈
Now, I know on this night that they will eat and talk
会跳舞 会欢笑 在火上烤苹果
and dance and laugh and roast apples on the fire!
但我还没想好要如何结局
But I’m not certain how the story ends,
因为那一段还没编好呢
because I haven’t made that part up yet.
但无论如何 沃恩先生都会最先读到
But, in any case, Mr Warne will have to read it first,
因为他是我严格的审查员
as he is my strict censor,
而且这毕竟是给他的礼物
and, well, it is his present.
圣诞快乐 沃恩先生
Merry Christmas, Mr Warne.
谢谢 波特小姐 这太美了
Thank you, Miss Potter. It’s so beautiful.
谢谢
Thank you.
明年给孙子们的礼物可不用愁了
There’ll be no problem with presents for the grandchildren next year,
-是不是 -你一定很骄傲吧 海伦
– I dare say. – You must be very proud, Helen.
就是本儿童书罢了
It’s just a children’s story.
太棒了
Outstanding!
-能跟你谈谈吗 -当然
– Can I talk to you? – Of course.
怎么了 出什么事了吗
What is it? Is there something wrong?
没有 只是想跟你说个秘密
No. As my confidante.
你有秘密要说吗 太诱人了
You have something to confide? How delicious!
你弟弟刚刚向我求婚了
Your brother has asked me to marry him,
我觉得 虽然不太理智 但我可能会答应他
and I feel, quite irrationally, that I may say, ‘yes’.
我希望得到你的允许
I’d like your approval.
我的允许
My approval?
碧翠丝 别傻了
Beatrix, don’t be a fool.
嫁给他啊
Marry him.
明天就嫁给他 别浪费一分一秒
Tomorrow. Don’t waste a moment.
你怎么能犹豫呢
How could you hesitate?
你不生气吗
You’re not upset?
我为什么会生气啊
Well, why would I be upset?
我和诺曼在一起 你就是一个人了
Well, both Norman and I. You’ll be alone.
你有得到幸福的机会 居然还担心我
You have a chance for happiness, and you’re worrying about me?
换做我 可不会担心你呢 如果有一个人
I wouldn’t worry about you if, if someone came along
与我真心相爱 我连我妈都不会管
who loved me and whom I loved, I would trample my mother.
-你爱诺曼吗 -是的
– Do you love Norman? – Yes.
那就嫁给他 不许你考虑别人如何
Then marry him. Don’t you dare think about anyone else.
但独身的种种好处呢
But what about all the blessings of being alone?
都是些胡话
Hogwash.
要不然独身的女人该怎么说啊
What else is a woman on her own supposed to say?
你有机会得到爱情 抓住吧
You have a chance to be loved. Take it.
我也会很幸福
And leave me happy,
因为我知道我爱的两个人很幸福
knowing that the two people that I love are happy.
你对我的考虑就只该到这一步
That is the most thought you should ever have for me.
你在这儿啊 碧翠丝 去招待客人啊
There you are, Beatrix! The guests.
就来 妈妈
Yes, Mother.
米莉
Millie…
去啊
Go.
今晚是怎么回事啊
What is going on tonight?
我为什么在自己家里却觉得像个外人
Why do I feel like a stranger in my own home?
你女儿好聪颖 鲁伯特 你一定很自豪吧
You have a clever daughter, Rupert. You must be very proud.
-对碧翠丝吗 当然了 -写作画画都那么出色
– Of Beatrix? Yes, we are. – To write and draw like that!
碧翠丝该见见我侄女 安 她做罐子
Beatrix should meet my niece, Anne. She makes pots.
-那叫陶器 奈吉尔 -我看着就是罐子
– Ceramics, Nigel. – Look like pots to me.
至于你嘛 女士 我建议你学学针织
As for you, madam, I suggest you take up knitting.
圣诞快乐
Merry Christmas.
那是什么意思
What was all that about?
奈吉尔爵士不太赞赏我打牌的方式
Sir Nigel disapproves of the way I play whist.
我从他手里赢了两基尼
I’m afraid I won two guineas from him.
沃恩先生
Mr Warne!
-您的画 -对了 我的圣诞礼物
– Your painting. – Oh, yes. My Christmas present.
愿意
Yes.
-再见 沃恩先生 -再见 沃恩先生
– Goodbye, Mr Warne. – Goodbye, Mr Warne.
先生
Sir?
我跟鲁伯特·波特先生约好了在伊格尔顿室见面
I have an appointment to see Mr Rupert Potter in the Eagleton Room.
-他在等您呢 先生 -谢谢
– He’s expecting you, sir. – Thank you.
别紧张 诺曼 不过是她父亲罢了
Come along, Norman, it’s only her father.
请进
Come in.
波特先生 谢谢您
Thank you very much, Mr Potter,
百忙之中抽出时间见我

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!