Did she say she likes to draw swill buckets?
是啊 妈妈 没错
Indeed she did, Mother. Indeed she did.
周三就可以在楼上挂蕾丝窗帘了
I think by Wednesday, you could hang the lace curtains upstairs.
那至少就能有点夏天的样子了
Then at least it will look like summer,
-虽然还没有夏天的感觉 -是 太太
– even if it doesn’t feel like it. -Yes, Madam
碧翠丝 你衣服上这块脏是怎么回事
Oh, Beatrix. What is this stain on your blouse?
简说怎么也洗不掉 她什么办法都试了
Jane says it won’t wash out, and she’s tried everything.
-是油墨 -油墨
– Oh, it’s ink. – Ink?
我一定是在印刷厂蹭到什么了
I must have brushed against something at the printers’.
简 真抱歉给你添麻烦了
Jane, I’m very sorry for causing you extra work.
简 把衣服拿走 送给穷♥人♥吧
Jane, take the blouse away. Give it to the poor.
你这是不尊重你父亲挣来的钱
This behaviour shows scant regard for your father’s money.
有一日 我就能自己挣足够的钱买♥♥衣服了
Well, one day, I shall make enough money to buy my own clothes.
我这么大了 不该依靠爸爸生活
I’m far too old to be living off the generosity of my father.
你这么大了 不该总跟一个
You’re too old to be spending so much time
带你去印刷厂的男人在一起
in the company of a man who takes you to printers!
你父亲对此并不赞成 我也是
Your father does not approve, and neither do I.
沃恩先生是我的出版商
Mr Warne is publishing my book.
那本书啊
Oh, that book!
我都等不及看它完成然后被人遗忘了
I can hardly wait till it’s finished and forgotten.
我真不懂你 碧翠丝
I don’t understand you, Beatrix.
你父亲和我给你介绍了那么多合适的年轻男子
Your father and I have introduced you to so many suitable young men
与你门当户对 家底殷实 背景无可挑剔
of your class, young men of fortune, and impeccably good family.
是啊 就像那位招人”喜欢”的
Oh, certainly, like that charming fellow,
莱纳尔·斯托克利吗
Lionel Stokely.
莱纳尔的叔叔 伯爵先生特别喜欢他
Lionel is a particular favourite of his uncle, the earl,
我们每个夏天都去斯托克利宫看他
whom we visit every summer at Stokely Court.
没接受哈利·哈登-贝尔真是让我万分”后悔”
Oh, and I do regret terribly that I didn’t accept Harry Haddon-Bell.
哈利的曾祖父就上了皇家陆军军官学校
Harry’s great-grandfather went to Sandhurst.
哈利的祖父也是
Harry’s grandfather went to Sandhurst.
哈利的父亲也是
Harry’s father went to Sandhurst.
所以我也上了那里
And so I went to Sandhurst.
父亲 我还有看守人早上常去骑马
Father and I and the gamekeeper often go out riding in the morning
打早餐回来
and shoot breakfast.
艾什顿可是神枪手
Ashton’s a crack shot.
不 你就是个愚蠢的女孩
But no, you’re just a pig-headed girl.
沃恩先生找您 他在门口 小姐
Mr Warne is asking for you at the door, Miss.
沃恩先生 他没说要来啊
Mr Warne? He’s not expected.
不请自来 真是好极了
Unannounced. Perfection!
过来
Come on, here.
我们在书店时就卖♥♥出两本
Two sold while we were at the booksellers.
-那么一周就能卖♥♥出四十本 -四十
– That amounts to 40 in a week. – 40.
-那么一个月就是一百六 -天呐
– Which is 160 in a month. – Good gracious!
我在努力回想乘法表
I’m trying to remember my twelve-times table.
一年是一千九百二十
1,920 in a year.
-我要喘不上气了 -这还只是一家店呢
– I can’t breathe. – That’s just in one shop.
波特小姐 您现在是位作家了
My dear Miss Potter, you are an author.
我们已经实现了当初的目标 我们出了一本书
We have achieved what we set out to do. We have created a book.
是啊
Yes.
怎么了
What’s the matter?
您的脸刚刚阴了一下
A cloud just passed across your face.
您一直对我很有耐心 沃恩先生
You’ve been very generous with your time, Mr Warne,
带我去看我本来根本不可能见到的东西
shown me things that I never would have seen.
印刷厂
Printing houses!
我会很怀念您的
I shall miss your company.
您要离开我们公♥司♥了吗
Are you losing my company?
我只是想到 既然书已经出版
It just occurred to me that the book is out
那我们之间的联♥系♥也要告一段落了
and our association is coming to an end.
波特小姐
Miss Potter.
我还希望您还有其他的故事呢
I had hoped that you might have other stories.
是吗
Really?
真的吗
Really?
其实 我最近想起一个我以为已经忘记了的故事
Do you know, I recently remembered one I thought I had forgotten it.
是关于一只鸭子
About a duck…
一只很蠢的鸭子
a very stupid duck.
是参考了您的哪位朋友吗
Based on one of your friends?
大概是参考了我自己吧
It’s based on myself, I think
我曾经给一个朋友讲过这个故事
It’s a story I told a friend once.
您说
Yes.
我们家夏天会去湖区
My family summers in the Lake District,
那里有一个人
and there was someone there,
是园丁的儿子 他总是对我的故事很感兴趣
the grounds man’s son, who was always interested in my stories.
碧翠丝小姐 你这是在躲猫猫吗
Miss Beatrix. Are you skulking?
没有 威利·希利斯
No such thing, Willie Heelis.
我只是在晾我的素描簿
No. I was drying off my sketch book.
不错啊 碧翠丝小姐
Not bad, Miss Beatrix.
今天有什么动物故事要讲给我听吗
Do you have any animal stories for me today?
没有 抱歉 没有新故事呢
I don’t. Sorry. Nothing new.
那是杰迈玛 她还没有故事呢
That’s Jemima. She doesn’t have a story yet.
至少没想好
Not a proper one.
-鸭子杰迈玛 -泥潭鸭杰迈玛
– Jemima Duck? – Jemima Puddle-Duck.
而且是世界上最蠢的鸭子了
And a stupider duck the world has never seen.
她去找安全的地方好下蛋
She goes looking for a safe place to lay her eggs
却遇上一位迷人的绅士 他长了蓬松的长尾巴
and meets a charming gentleman with a long bushy tail
和尖利牙齿
and very sharp teeth.
没错
Precisely.
这位绅士说她可以去他的棚屋下蛋
The gentlemen offers her his shed
杰迈玛惊奇地发现棚屋里有好些羽毛
and Jemima is surprised to find that there are so many feathers in it.
不过 我说了 她是只很蠢的鸭子
But then, as I told you, she is a very stupid duck.
我喜欢
I like it.
我真想把山谷里的所有风景都画下来
I’d love to paint every view in this valley,
但我不太擅长画风景
but I’m not very good at landscapes.
如果等得太久 就没得画了 碧翠丝小姐
Wait too long and it won’t be here to paint, Miss Beatrix.
别说傻话了
Really, that’s ridiculous.
不 是真的
No, I’m serious.
那些大农场都要被拆成小块卖♥♥掉了
The large farms are being broken up into small plots and sold off.
人不能阻止进步嘛
Well, you can’t stand in the way of progress.
是这么说
So they say.
但我觉得美丽的东西值得保护
But I say beauty’s worth preserving.
我知道你会这么想 威利
I know you do, Willie.
但这点没人会反对的
But nobody could disagree with you about that.
那回头见了
Well, I’ll see you soon, then.
或许不会了 碧翠丝小姐
Perhaps not, Miss Beatrix.
我下周就要去曼彻斯特了
I’m leaving for Manchester next week.
去学法律吗
To study the law?
是的 我总得想办法提高自己
Yes, indeed. I have to better myself somehow.
-祝你好运 -给我寄些画来
– Good luck. – Send me some drawings.
好的
I will.
他鼓励我认真对待创作
He encouraged me to take my writing seriously.
我们得马上开始创作新故事
We must get started on the new story straight away.
泥潭鸭杰迈玛 我觉得公众会喜欢的
Jemima Puddle-Duck. I think the public should like that,
还有大拇指汤姆和蒙克蹲蹲 您觉得呢
and Tom Thumb and Hunker Munker. What do you think?
如果您觉得好的话
Well, if you, if you think.
您的书现在对我很重要了
Your book has been very important in my life.
您也对我很重要了
You have been very important in my life.
彼此彼此 沃恩先生
And you in mine, Mr Warne.
我们要再续成功 然后继续这么做
And we must do it again and again.
绝不停下
And again!
我跟您说 我可要缠着您不放了
I promise you, I intend to be a nuisance.
你什么时候决定不结婚的
When did you decide you wouldn’t marry?
就在我二十岁生日之前
Just before my 20th birthday.
妈妈来我屋告诉我 莱纳尔·斯托克利
Mother came to my room and announced that Lionel Stokely
要跟格温多林·奥尔科特结婚了
was to marry Gwendolyn Alcott
而且他们会住进斯托克利宫
and they were to live at Stokely Court,
那是莱纳尔刚从伯爵那儿继承来的
which Lionel had just inherited from the earl.
那时我就知道 她不会再给我介绍人了
And I knew right then that she would bring me no more suitors
所以我不会结婚了
and that I would never marry.
这让我很震惊
And that shocked me.
但我却如释重负
But I felt relieved.
这也让我很震惊
And that shocked me.
于是我去了花♥园♥

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!