-真的 – 慧勒认为耳环
– Really? – Apparently Mr. Wheeler felt…
太”部落色彩” 她用这个字
that they were too… “ethnic” is the word she used.
还说他希望我
She told me he said he would like it…
戴朴素些的
if I wore something a little less garish…
小一点的和更美国式的耳环
a little smaller and more American.
你怎么回应
What’d you say?
我说我的耳环是美国式的
I said, My earrings are American.
是美国黑式的
They’re African-American.
请肃静
Let’s have order, please.
没问题了
Thank you. No more questions.
伯顿小姐
Ms. Burton…
你最近曾升职吗
weren’t you recently promoted?
我是助理部门的主管
Yes. I’m in charge of the paralegal department.
恭喜你在惠勒事务所不受拘束地升职
Congratulations on your unfettered ascendancy at Wyant, Wheeler.
我不会称之为不受拘束
I don’t know if I’d go so far as to call it unfettered.
我不明白 你如何解释
I don’t understand. How do you explain…
这么一位
the promotion of an obviously…
聪明称职的
intelligent, articulate…
非洲裔美国女人获得晋升
qualified African-American woman…
同时你与贝克特先生又
in a firm which practices discrimination…
都被合伙人歧视呢
as wantonly and consistently as you and Mr. Beckett claim?
-我不能解释 -可能是…
– I can’t explain it. – Could it be…
这些…
that these…
歧视的例子…
instances of discrimination…
其实是误会
are in fact misunderstandings…
只是被渲染夸大而已
that have been blown completely out of proportion?
律师有意把事情过分简化
I think counsel tends to oversimplify the issue somewhat.
多谢你 我会…
Thank you, Miss Burton, I’ll…
考虑一下这点
take that note under consideration.
-审讯进行得怎样 -什么
– How’s the trial going? – Excuse me?
我见过你上电视 我是宾大♥法♥律系学生
It’s a great case. I saw you on television. I’m a law student at Penn.
-你怎么样 – 不错 你怎么样
– How you doing? – All right. How are you?
你在电视上看到我
– Saw me on TV? – Yeah.
宾大是好学校 你几年级
It’s a good school, Penn. What year are you in?
二年级 我只想告诉你
Second. Listen, I just want to tell you…
这个案子非常重要
this case, it’s tremendously important.
你做得很出色
I wanted to let you know I think you’re doing a fantastic job.
多谢
– Hey. – Thank you. All right.
毕业时给我打个电♥话♥
When you graduate, you give me a call.
多谢
Okay. All right. Thank you very much.
-嘿 乔 -什么事
– Listen, Joe? – Yeah?
要跟我喝一杯吗 我想喝杯啤酒
Would you like to have a drink? I just finished a game and could use a beer.
我不能 我太太…
Ah, no, I can’t. My wife is…
我不常在药房♥勾搭男人
I don’t pick up people in drugstores every day.
-你以为我是同性恋 -你不是吗
– You think I’m gay? – Aren’t you?
你看我像吗
What’s the matter? I look gay to you?
你看我呢
Do I look gay to you?
-别紧张 -我该踢你的屁♥股♥
– Relax. – I ought to kick your faggoty ass.
当是赞美吧
Take it as a compliment. Geez!
就是这种态度使你们这种人
That is exactly the kind of bullshit that makes people hate your…
令人讨厌
faggoty ass.
你要踢我屁♥股♥吗 乔
You want to try and kick my ass, Joe?
-混♥蛋♥ -不 你才是混♥蛋♥
– Asshole. – No, you’re the asshole, buddy!
原告供词 第十天
继续 奥哈拉女士
Please continue, Ms. O’Hara.
我们疯了般找起诉书
We were going crazy looking for this complaint.
简直像是在迷离境界
I felt like I was in the twilight zone.
贝克特先生大声喝人
Mr. Beckett was screaming at everybody and he just…
样子怪怪的
He looked so freaky.
肯顿一直说 “你弄丢了起诉书”
Mr. Kenton kept saying, “You lost the Highline complaint?”
他打给慧勒先生
And he called Mr. Wheeler, and all of a sudden…
突然杰米拿着起诉书进来
Jamey comes in with the complaint in his hand.
-他说 “中♥央♥档案那儿” -中♥央♥档案
– He says, “It was in central files.” – Central files?
案子完结后 所有文件都送那儿
Central files is a place where paperwork is sent when cases are closed.
杰米正好赶到法庭
Jamey ran it over to the court just in time…
大家都筋疲力尽了
and everybody just stood there completely wasted.
贝克特先生
And Mr…
贝克特先生不停地说
And Mr. Beckett just kept saying…
对不起 对不起 我不明白为何这样
“I’m sorry. Sorry. I don’t understand this.”
谢谢你 奥哈拉女士
Thank you, Ms. O’Hara.
没其它问题了 法官大人
No further questions at this time, Your Honor.
好 该你了 米勒先生
All right. Mr. Miller.
-可以吗 -当然可以
– May I? – Certainly.
谢谢
Thank you.
-你没事吧 -没事
– You okay? – Yes.
-要喝杯水吗 -不用
– You want a glass of water? – No.
安迪是好上司吗
Was Andy a good boss?
是的
Yes.
他人很好
He was very sweet.
他当律师的表现如何
How would you characterize his work as an attorney?
我怎么知道 我只是替他工作
How would I know? I just worked for him.
法官大人 这部分记录了吗
Excuse me, Your Honor, but is this for the record?
米勒先生 请你回到你的位子
Mr. Miller, perhaps you should return to counsel’s table.
好的
Yes, sir.
-奥哈拉女士 -有什么事
– Miss O’Hara? – Yes?
你觉察到…
Were you aware
合伙人在这个遗失档案事件前
at any time of any problems that the senior partners had…
对安德鲁有任何不满吗
with the quality of Andrew’s work prior to this missing file episode?
不 没有
No, I wasn’t.
多谢 没问题了 法官大人
Thank you. No more questions, Your Honor.
安德鲁是那种乱放重要文件的人吗
Is Andrew Becket the kind of lawyer who misplaces crucial documents?
据我所知 不是
Not to my knowledge. No.
你要令律师失职 这样可以吗
If you wanted to make a lawyer look incompetent, would this be a good way?
把重要文件藏起数小时
Hiding an important document maybe for a few hours…
令人觉得是负责律师遗失的
and then making it look like the responsible lawyer misplaced it?
为何慧勒和其它人要这样做
Why would Mr. Wheeler and the others behave so outrageously?
因为安迪有病
Because they found out Andy was sick?
-他没回答 -也许
– He’s not answering the question. – Perhaps.
我们有律师有心脏病 前列腺癌 白血病
We’ve had lawyers with heart attacks, ulcers, prostate cancer, leukemia!
没有人诬害他们
No one sandbagged them.
你有介入这件有意遗失文件事件中吗
Did you have something to do with this file being lost accidentally on purpose?
-反对 -我换种说法
– Objection. – I’ll rephrase.
文件错放事件与你有关吗
Did you have anything to do with this file being misplaced?
绝对没有
Absolutely not.
你是同性恋吗
Are you a homosexual?
-什么 -回答问题 你是同性恋吗
– What? – Answer the question! Are you a homo?
你是同性恋吗
A faggot? A punk?
有分桃断袖之癖
A queer, pillow biter, fairy?
喜欢别人的肛♥门♥ 你是同性恋吗
Bootie snatcher, rump roaster? Are you gay?
-反对 -肃静
– Objection! – Order!
怎么回事 律师在攻击自己证人
Where did this come from? Suddenly counsel’s attacking his own witness?
柯林斯先生的性取向跟本案无关
Mr. Collins’ sexual orientation has nothing to do with this case.
请坐下 科奈恩小姐
Please have a seat, Miss Conine.
请上前来 米勒先生
Would you approach the bench, Mr. Miller?
你能否告诉我
Could you kindly share with me…
你究竟想怎样
exactly what’s going on inside your head…
因为我茫无头绪
because at this moment, I don’t have a clue.
法官大人
Your Honor…
这法庭内的每个人
everybody in this courtroom…
都在想性取向 性选择
is thinking about sexual orientation, sexual preference…
随便你们怎么叫
whatever you want to call it.
谁跟谁干和怎样干
Who does what to whom and how they do it.
他们看着安德鲁·贝克特 心里这么想着
They’re looking at Andrew Beckett. They’re thinking about it.
他们看着慧勒 科奈恩小姐 甚至法官大人你
They’re looking at Mr. Wheeler, Miss Conine, even you, Your Honor.
他们想着你的性取向
They’re wondering about it.
相信我 他们也看着我这样想
Trust me, I know they’re looking at me and thinking about it.
让我们坦诚布公吧
So let’s get it out in the open. Let’s get it out of the closet.
因为这案子不单是关于艾滋病
Because this case is not just about AIDS, is it?
我们来说说这是什么样子的案件
So let’s talk about what this case is really all about:
是大家对同性恋的嫌恶
The general public’s hatred, our loathing…
和恐惧

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
前一篇文章巨人传
下一篇文章惊声尖笑4
一个人,一本书,一部电影,还是一段音乐 ♪ ♩ ♫ ♬ 在世界的某个角落, 总有什么能触动你的心灵; 在世界的某个角落, 总有和你一样的人。

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!