无疑使艾滋病患者更不利
exacts a social death which precedes…
较之身体残疾 艾滋病患这之身心障碍更不应被忽视
which precedes the actual physical one.
这就是歧视
This is the essence of discrimination:
形成此种歧视 是因其不基于个人价值
Forming opinions about others not based on their individual merits…
只以群众所采取的态度作为考虑的结果
but rather their membership in a group with assumed characteristics.
六星期后
-查尔斯·惠勒 -朱利叶斯·欧文
– Charles Wheeler. – Julius Erving!
-见到你真好 -肯·斯塔尔
– By golly, I’m glad to see you! – Ken Starr.
-肯 你好吗 -你好吗
– Ken, how are ya? – How are ya?
过来这儿
Come over here.
查尔斯·惠勒 你好吗
Charles Wheeler, how you doin’?
我很好 给你的传票
– How are you? – Very good.
好好看看吧 再见
Take a look at it. Have a good day.
J博士 你是最了不起的
Hey, Dr.J. How are you? You’re the best.
需要律师时 给我电♥话♥
If you ever need a lawyer for anything, you give me a call.
跌倒 意外 什么都可以
If you slip and fall, you know, accidents, anything, let me know.
法庭上见
See you in court.
-那是电视上那人 -是的
– The TV guy. – Yeah, the TV guy.
查克 怎么回事
Say, Chuck, what’s up?
我要知道所有关于安迪的事
Now, regarding Andy, I want to know everything regarding his personal life.
他去栗子街那些酒吧吗
Does he frequent those pathetic bars on Chestnut Street?
他还去哪些同性恋场所
What other homosexual facilities does he go to?
-完全正确 -查尔斯
– Absolutely. – Charles.
他参加过什么团体
What deviant groups or organizations does he secretly belong to?
鲍勃 怎么了
-Bob What is it?
我们给他钱摆平吧
Let’s make a fair settlement offer and put this tragic business behind us.
安迪把艾滋带进事务所
Andy brought AIDS into our offices…
带进男厕所
into our men’s room.
他把艾滋带到我们的年度家庭聚会
He brought AIDS to our annual goddamn family picnic.
我们该告他 鲍勃
We ought to be suing him, Bob.
你的同情心呢
Where is your compassion, gentlemen?
鲍勃 我们给他高线案 他有说过
Bob, we gave him Highline. Did Andrew Beckett say…
我可能没能力完成此案吗
“I might not be able to serve our client to the best of my ability”?
他没说
He said nothing.
他罔顾我对他的信任和爱
And now, disregarding the trust and affection I conferred upon him…
以控告来回报
Andrew Beckett proposes to haul me into court…
丢法♥院♥传票给我 在全费城的司法界
to sling accusations at me, to call me a bigot…
众目睽睽下叫我老顽固
in full view of the entire Philadelphia judicial establishment.
我的天
My God!
打扰一下
Excuse me.
贝克特不想上庭 他想要和解
Beckett doesn’t want to go to court. He wants a quick, tasty settlement.
陪审团会认为他有理的
A jury might decide that he has a case.
慢着
Wait a minute.
他是因失职被炒 不是因为艾滋病
He was fired for incompetence, not because he has AIDS.
你不知道他有病吗
You didn’t know he was sick, did you, Bob?
去你的 你知道吗 鲍勃
Holy shit. Did you, Bob?
不 并不太清楚
No. No, not really.
我在这屋子长大的
Everybody, this is the house that I grew up in…
在宾夕法尼亚的下马里昂镇
right here in the hometown of Lower Merion, Pennsylvania.
这儿是证据
Wait, here’s proof.
我小时的手印
There. My handprints from when I was a cute little boy.
今天是我父母结婚四十周年
Today is the 40th wedding anniversary of my mom and dad, the Becketts.
不简单吧
Isn’t that somethin’?
生活艰苦 多年来活在贫困之中
Pretty tough life around this poverty so many years, huh?
那些街道危机四伏 别让外表唬住你
Well, those can be some pretty mean streets. Don’t let appearances fool you.
这是大门 有一次用力关门
Here’s the front door. Now, I once slammed…
弄断了这根指头
this finger in the front door and I broke it.
我弟弟呢
Where is my brother?
我姐姐吉尔 各位
There’s my sister Jill, everybody.
-打个招呼吧 亚历克西斯 -妈妈又怀孕了
– Say hello, Alexis. – Mommy’s pregnant again!
真的
What? Are you really?
-嗨 梅根 -这是安迪叔叔
– Hi, Meghan. – It’s Uncle Andy!
-爸在哪儿 -在修铲雪车
– Where’s Dad? – He’s trying to fix the snowblower.
七年才下一次雪 爸还是买♥♥了铲雪车
It snows once in seven years, Dad buys a new snowblower.
你好吗
Oh, me. How are you?
今天是个好日子 妈
Oh, Mom, today’s a good day.
梅根 继续吧 你做得很好
Meghan, keep that up. You’re doin’ a great job.
我要向勃朗特姐妹打招呼
I gotta say hello to the Bronte sisters.
你们好吗
How are you? Good to see you.
你好吗
Hi, Lee. How are you?
放我下来
Put me down!
如果你让我爱你
If you let me love you
那我一定就会去爱你
It’s for sure I’m gonna love you
永远
All the way
永远
All
巴德和莎拉
Bud and Sarah
永远
All the way
在审讯时会有很多难听的话
There will be things said at the trial that are hard for you to hear…
关于我个人 我的私生活
about me and my personal life.
全部将公开 大家有意见吗
And there’s gonna be publicity. I want to make sure it’s okay with everybody.
你要我抱她
Andy, you want me to take her?
不用 她很好
No. She’s fine.
你能问是好事
I think it’s great that you’re asking, Andy…
但这是你的决定
but this is really your call.
谢谢 哥哥
All right. Thank you, brother.
谢谢
Thank you.
你是我弟弟
Hey, you’re my kid brother.
这才最重要
That’s all that matters. Okay?
老实说 我担心爸妈
To be honest, I’m worried about Mommy and Daddy.
他们已受了那么多苦
They’ve been through so much already.
还会有更困难的时刻
And it’s possible there are going to be some very tough times ahead.
你们处理这所有的事
Andy, the way that you’ve handled this whole thing…
你和米格尔 那么有勇气
you and Miguel… with so much courage…
其它人
I don’t believe there’s anything…
不能说什么
that anyone could say that would…
令我们感到以你们为荣
make us feel anything but incredibly proud of you.
我没有教育我的孩子成为懦夫
Well, I didn’t raise my kids to sit in the back of the bus.
你上法庭争取自己的权益
You get in there and you fight for your rights, okay?
我爱你们
Gee, I love you guys.
七个月后
各位陪审员
Ladies and gentlemen of thejury…
忘了你们在电视电影上所见的
forget everything you’ve seen on television and in the movies.
没有什么精彩大结局
There’s not gonna be any last-minute surprise witnesses.
没有赚人热泪的同情
Nobody’s gonna break down on the stand with a tearful confession.
在你们面前只是一件简单事实
You’re gonna be presented with a simple fact:
安迪·贝克特被解雇了
Andrew Beckett was fired.
你们会听到两个解释
You’ll hear two explanations for why he was fired:
原告的与被告的
Ours and theirs.
由你们去把真♥相♥
It is up to you to sift through layer upon layer of truth…
逐层揭开 再决定
until you determine for yourselves which version sounds the most true.
以下是我必须要说明的几点
There are certain points that I must prove to you.
第一点 安迪·贝克特曾是…
Point number one: Andrew Beckett was…
现在也是出色的律师
is… a brilliant lawyer…
一个很好的律师
a great lawyer.
第二 安迪·贝克特身染恶疾
Point number two: Andrew Beckett, afflicted with a debilitating disease…
以私人的 合法的理由
made the understandable, the personal…
不公开自己的病情
the legal choice to keep the fact of his illness to himself.
第三点 他的雇主发现他有病
Point number three: His employers discovered his illness.
我所指的病是艾滋病
And, ladies and gentlemen, the illness I’m referring to is AIDS.
第四点 他们恐慌了
Point number four: They panicked.
他们做了大多数人们会对艾滋病患做的事
And in their panic, they did what most of us would like to do with AIDS…
尽量把自己和
which is just get it and everybody who has it…
艾滋病人隔离
as far away from the rest of us as possible.
这些雇主的表现似乎合理
Now, the behavior of Andrew Beckett’s employers may seem reasonable to you.
我也认为合理
It does to me.
因为艾滋是致命的 无药可救的病
After all, AIDS is a deadly, incurable disease.
但不管你们对查尔斯和其余董事
But no matter how you come to judge Charles Wheeler and his partners…
所谓的道德说辞如何仲裁 事实是
in ethical, moral and human terms, the fact of the matter is…
他们因安德鲁有艾滋而解雇他
when they fired Andrew Beckett because he had AIDS…
是违法行为
they broke the law.
事实是
Fact:

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
前一篇文章巨人传
下一篇文章惊声尖笑4
一个人,一本书,一部电影,还是一段音乐 ♪ ♩ ♫ ♬ 在世界的某个角落, 总有什么能触动你的心灵; 在世界的某个角落, 总有和你一样的人。

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!