– You’re not going to run out on us. – Well, my hotel’s only a step from here.
-晚安 -拉里,我们还能见面吗?
– Good night. – Larry, will we see you?
当然
Of course.
我们周四要和艾略特舅舅一起去维泰尔
We’re going to Vittel on Thursday with uncle Elliott.
他要去做治疗
He wants to take the cure.
*根据原著,艾略特晚年肾脏有点问题毛病*
我们一号♥就会回来,到时候我给你打电♥话♥
We’ll be back by the first of the month. I’ll call you.
好,晚安
Fine. Well, good night.
-晚安,格雷 -晚安,拉里
– Good night, Gray. – Good night, Larry.
谢谢你请的晚餐
And thanks for the dinner.
-你好 -拉里
– Hello? – Larry.
终于接电♥话♥了,我找了你几个小时了,你都不在家吗?
At last. I’ve been trying to reach you for hours. Aren’t you ever in?
嗯,很少,你什么时候回来的?
Well, hardly ever. When did you get back?
今早
This morning.
艾略特叔叔坚持要赶到今晚艾尔莎的晚会
Uncle Elliott insisted on being here in time for Elsa’s soiree tonight.
他太可怜了,身体一点也不好,但还要去参加所有的这些聚会
Poor dear. He’s not at all well, but he will go to all these parties.
格雷最近如何?
How’s Gray getting along?
噢拉里,你简直创造了奇迹
Oh, Larry, you’ve simply done wonders for him.
他都又开始打高尔夫球了,他说都是多亏了你
He’s started to play golf again. He blames it all on you.
你最近在做什么?
And what have you been doing?
这样那样的事情呗,见了索菲几次
Oh, one thing and another. I’ve seen a lot of Sophie.
真的吗?为什么?
Really? Why?
不管怎么样,她是我的老朋友
Well, after all, she’s an old friend.
我是觉得你是在浪费时间
If you want my opinion, I think you’re wasting your time.
她戒酒了
She stopped drinking.
拉里,你简直是我见过最容易上当的人
Larry, you’re the most gullible person I’ve ever known.
她永远都不会戒酒的
She’ll never stop drinking.
她现在是在阴沟里打滚,她就是喜欢这样
Sophie wallows in the gutter because she likes it.
瞎子也能看出来
A blind person could see that.
不过,我还是希望你对她好一点,伊莎贝尔
Well, just the same, I do wish you’d be nice to her, Isabel.
我们要结婚了
We’re going to be married.
什么?
What?
结婚了吗?
Married?
是的,都定下来了
Yes, that’s right. It’s all settled.
你不是认真的吧,你不能和她结婚
Well, you’re not serious. You can’t be.
但我结了
But I am.
你不打算恭喜我吗?
Well, aren’t you going to congratulate me?
我不会恭喜你的,我觉得你…你…
I am not. I think you’re– You’re–
-什么事耽搁你了?我等了你几个小时了 -我一接到你的电♥话♥就来了
– What’s kept you? You’ve been hours. – I came the instant I got your call.
-怎么了? -是拉里和索菲
– What’s happened? – It’s about Larry and Sophie.
那个傻子,又蠢又瞎的白♥痴♥,他一定是疯了
The idiot. The stupid, blind idiot. He must be mad.
如果你冷静点,我也许能听懂你在说什么
If you’d calm down, I might be able to make out what you’re saying.
他要娶了她
He’s going to marry her.
-你怎么知道? -他刚给我打电♥话♥了
– How do you know? – He just called me on the phone.
-哦,我简直快疯了 -看出来了
– Oh, I’m frantic. – So I see.
而且他还厚颜无♥耻♥地要求我对她好一点
He had the effrontery to ask me to be nice to her.
-不过,那是他自己的事吧?-那个女人太可怕了
– Well, it’s his own affair, isn’t it? – She’s an awful woman.
她太坏了,太坏了,太坏了!
She’s bad, bad, bad!
她从早醉到晚
She’s soused from morning till night.
这并不能说明她是坏人
That doesn’t mean she’s bad.
不少体面的人都会喝醉,然后做些傻事
Quite a number of respectable citizens get drunk and do silly things.
这些都只是坏习惯,我觉得也就坏到这个地步了
They’re bad habits, but I don’t know if they’re worse than that.
撒谎、欺骗、残忍♥的人才是坏人
I call a person bad who lies and cheats and is unkind.
你要是站在她那边,我就要你命
If you’re going to take her part, I’ll kill you.
-我更希望你能给我一杯茶 -自己倒
– I’d prefer if you’d give me a cup of tea. – Oh, help yourself.
自从我们去了那家酒吧他就经常见她
He’s seen a lot of her since we were at that dive.
他还说她戒酒了,那个傻瓜还以为自己治好她了呢
He says she’s quit drinking. The fool thinks he’s cured her.
-你忘了他为格雷做的事了吗? -那是两回事
– Did you forget what he did for Gray? – That had nothing to do with it.
谢谢,格雷想要被治好,她不想要
Thanks. Gray wanted to be cured. She doesn’t.
-你怎么知道? -因为我了解女人
– How do you know? – Because I know women.
你觉得她会好好跟着拉里吗?当然不会,她还是会崩掉的,这是她的天性
Do you think she’ll stick to Larry? No. She’ll break out. It’s in her blood.
她要的是下流,下流的东西让她觉得刺♥激♥,她永远只会下流的
It’s a brute she wants. That excites her. It’s a brute she’ll go after.
她会毁了拉里的
She’ll lead Larry to hell.
可能吧,但你又能做什么呢?
It’s probable, but I don’t see what you can do about it.
我什么也不能做
I can do nothing about it.
但是你可以
But you can.
我?
I?
拉里喜欢你,他会听你的话
Larry likes you, and he listens to what you say.
你见多识广的,去找他,告诉他不要做这种傻事
You know the world. Go to him and tell him he can’t make a fool of himself.
告诉他这会毁了他的
Tell him it’ll ruin him.
他只会告诉我这不关我的事,我也会觉得他说得对
He’d only tell me it’s none of my business, and he’d be quite right.
结果也可能不会像你想的那么糟
It may not turn out so badly as you think.
我服了你了,她简直坏透了
You make me tired! She’s rotten to the core!
难道你觉得我牺牲我自己,就为了让拉里落入那样一个女人手中?
Do you think I’ve sacrificed myself only to let Larry fall into the hands of a woman like that?
你怎么又牺牲自己了?
How did you sacrifice yourself?
我放弃拉里只有一个原因
I gave up Larry for one reason only.
我不想妨碍他
Because I didn’t want to stand in his way.
别胡扯了,伊莎贝尔
Come off it, Isabel.
你放弃他是因为钻石和貂皮大衣
You gave him up for a square-cut diamond and a sable coat.
你的艾略特叔叔不会谢你的…
Your Uncle Elliott wouldn’t have thanked you…
…你打碎了他一只的王冠德比盘
…if you’d broken one of his Crown Darby plates.
这可为多塞特公爵夫人定做的,无价之宝
They were made for the Duchess of Dorset, they are priceless.
把面包和黄油捡起来
Pick up that bread and butter.
你自己捡
Pick it up yourself.
亏你还自称是英国绅士
And you call yourself an English gentleman.
不,我从来没说过
No, that’s one thing I’ve never done.
滚吧,我再也不想见到你了,我讨厌看到你
Get out of here! I never want to see you again. I hate the sight of you.
很抱歉,因为看到你总是让我感到愉悦
I’m sorry for that, because the sight of you always gives me pleasure.
有没有人告诉过你,你的鼻子简直就跟那不勒斯博物馆里普绪刻石像的鼻子一模一样
Have you ever been told your nose is like that of the Psyche in the Museum of Naples?
那是世上最好的表现童贞之美的作品
And that’s the loveliest representation of virginal beauty that ever existed.
你有一双精致的腿,又长又有线条
You’ve got exquisite legs, so long and shapely.
我一直都很惊讶,因为…
I can’t cease to be surprised at them. Because…
第一次见你的时候,你的腿还很不匀称,你是怎么做到的?
They were lumpy when I first saw you. I can’t imagine how you’ve managed it.
钢铁般的意志
An iron will.
还有,你最迷人的地方…
But, of course, your most fascinating feature…
…你的手
…are your hands.
如此的苗条和优雅
They’re so slim and elegant.
我还以为你会觉得太大了呢
I was under the impression you thought them too big.
对于你的身高和体型来说不算
Not for your height and build.
我总是惊讶你极度优雅的手部动作
I’m always amazed at the infinite grace with which you use them.
无论有意还是无意…
Whether by nature or by art…
…你做的每一个动作都赋予它美感
…you never make a gesture without imparting beauty to it.
它们有时像花…
They’re like flowers sometimes…
…有时又像飞鸟
…and sometimes like birds on the wing.
有时候我也并不是很讨厌你
There are moments when I don’t positively dislike you.
有时候我也觉得你很好
Sometimes I think you’re rather sweet.
我可不要在脸上沾上口红
I will not have my face smeared with lipstick.
如果你要吻我,就吻我的嘴唇
If you want to kiss me, kiss me on the lips…
…这是仁慈的上帝所指定的地方
…which is what a merciful providence provided them for.
谢谢
Thank you.
你想要什么?
Now what’s it you want?
建议
Advice.
你只能做一件事,把最坏做到最好
There’s only one thing you can do. Make the best of a bad job.
拉里被一种最强烈的、最令人困扰的情感控制住了
Larry’s gripped by the most powerful emotion that can beset the breast of man
…自我牺牲
…self-sacrifice.
他必须拯救这个可怜女人的灵魂…
He’s got to save the soul of the wretched woman…
…一个他眼中曾经天真无邪的孩子
…whom he had known as an innocent child.
你,我,任何人都无法阻止
And there’s nothing you or I or anyone can do to prevent it.
但他不会开心的
But he’s going to be so unhappy.
你非常爱他吗?
Do you love him very much?
这很烦人,对吧?
It is a nuisance, isn’t it?
但我没办法
But I can’t help it.
你不想失去他吗?
And you don’t want to lose him altogether?
那就和索菲继续做朋友,尽可能对她好
Then make friends with Sophie. Be as nice to her as you can.
请她吃午饭
Ask her to lunch.
不过在我刚跟拉里说了那些话之后着实有点尴尬
It would be rather awkward for me after what I’ve just said to Larry.
-如果我邀请她你会好好表现吗?-好得像天使
-Will you behave if I do? – Like an angel of light.
那我去搞定
I’ll fix it up.
明天一点钟,丽兹饭店
One o’clock tomorrow at the Ritz.
你在想什么?你现在的表情让我不太舒服
What are you thinking? I don’t quite like the look of you.
抱歉,我还以为这也是我让你喜欢的地方呢
I’m sorry. I thought that was the one thing about me you did like.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!