我能跟您说件事吗?
May I speak to you on a very delicate matter?
-当然 -已经没有多少时间了…
– Of course. – The time is growing short…
…谈波登先生应该接受临终圣礼了
…and Mr. Templeton should receive the last sacraments.
我不很难和他提起这事
I hesitate to mention it to him
-所以我想… -交给我吧 -谢谢,先生
-So perhaps… – I shall be glad to suggest it. – Thank you, sir.
是谁来了?
I hear voices.
去看看
See who it is.
是毛姆先生和达雷尔先生
Mr. Maugham, Mr. Darrell.
亲爱的朋友,见到你真高兴
My dear fellow, how very nice to see you.
噢还有拉里,真是意外呢,请坐,请坐
And Larry. Well, this is a surprise. Sit down. Sit down.
-毛姆先生说你病了 -他说的吗?
– Mr. Maugham said you were sick. – Did he?
-我是病了 -但你看起来挺好的
– Well, I am sick. – But you don’t look it.
你看上去气色很好
You look extremely well.
噢,年轻的拉里·达雷尔先生…
Well, really now, young Mr. Larry Darrell…
…这是我听你说过的最聪明的话了
…that’s the most sensible thing I’ve ever heard you say.
我确实还不错
Of course he’s right.
这只是暂时的不太舒服
It’s only a temporary indisposition.
周日我要和一位公爵共进午餐…
I’m lunching with a duke on Sunday…
…我已经告诉我的医生了,在那之前他必须让我恢复健康
…and I’ve told my doctor he must put me to rights by then at all costs.
现在这时候发生这种事真是太糟糕了
It’s too bad this should have happened just now.
这个季节特别热闹
It’s a particularly brilliant season.
你要去艾德娜·诺瓦玛莉的宴会吗?
Are you going to Edna Novemali’s party?
-当然不会 -她邀请你了吗?
– Of course not. – Has she asked you?
欧洲所有人她都邀请了
She’s asked everybody in Europe.
那可是大排场啊,隆重得很
She’s giving a great do. Fancy dress.
隆重
Fancy dress.
她还没邀请我,她绝对是故意让我难堪
She hasn’t asked me. It’s a deliberate insult.
别傻了,她为什么要故意让你难堪?肯定只是一时疏忽罢了
Don’t be ridiculous. Why should she want to insult you? It was just an oversight.
我可不是个会被人忽视的人
I’m not a man that people overlook.
也许她不知道你现在在这儿
Perhaps she doesn’t know you’re in the south of France.
别傻了,拉里,大家都知道我在这儿
Don’t be ridiculous, Larry. Everybody knows I’m in the south of France.
这是本季最好的一次宴会
It’ll be the best party of the season.
就算我快死了,我也会去的
If I was on my deathbed, I’d go to it.
没关系的老伙计,那晚可能会下雨,聚会不会好的
Never mind, old boy, it may rain the night of the party. That’ll ruin it.
我还没想到这点呢
I never thought of that.
我会比平时的祷告更加虔诚地祈雨的
I’ll pray for rain as I’ve never prayed before.
像巫婆一样
The old witch.
没有我,她的宴会怎么能成呢
She’d never have got anywhere if it hadn’t been for me.
她竟然不邀请我参加她最盛大的宴会
Now she doesn’t invite me to the greatest party of her career.
还会有烟花表演啊朋友,烟花表演
Fireworks, my dear fellow. There are going to be fireworks.
太过分了
So unkind.
我恨他们,我恨他们所有人
I hate them, I hate them all.
他们吃我的食物,喝我的酒
They’ve eaten my food and drunk my wine.
我替他们跑这跑那,办了多少宴会啊
I’ve run their errands for them. I’ve made their parties for them.
我得到了什么?什么都没得到
And what have I got out of it? Nothing.
现在我又老又病…
Now that I’m old and sick…
…我对他们来说再也没有用处了
…they have no use for me.
他们根本不在乎我是死是活,没有任何人在乎
They don’t care whether I live or die. Not one of them.
太残忍♥了
They’re so cruel.
真希望我从没离开过美国
I wish I’d never left America.
我出去一下
Excuse me.
艾略特,恐怕你的病比你想象中严重得多
I’m afraid you’re very ill, Elliott. Much iller than you think.
我在想你要不要见见牧师
I was wondering if you’d like to see a priest.
你是说我要死了吗?
Do you mean to say I’m going to die?
我希望不会,但保险起见…
Oh, I hope not, but it’s as well to be on the safe side.
我明白了
I understand.
别伤心,朋友
Don’t be upset, my dear fellow.
这是我义不容辞的事
Noblesse oblige, you know.
你…你真是个怪家伙,艾略特
You– You ridiculous creature, Elliott.
去叫主教吧,如果他肯派查尔斯神父来我会很感激的
Call the bishop. Tell him I’d appreciate it if he’d send Father Charles.
他是我的一个朋友
He’s a friend of mine.
-我现在就去 -谢谢
– I’ll go and do that now. – Thank you.
-我可以借用你的车吗? -当然
– May I borrow your car a few moments? – Of course.
我要去诺瓦玛丽公主家
I’ll go to Princess Novemali’s house.
她的苏格兰秘书是我的老朋友了
Her secretary’s an old Scotch girl I know.
我想我能处理一下邀请函的事情
I think I can do something about the invitation.
她真是个狠心的女人,参加她的宴会的有上千人
She’s a spiteful woman. There’ll be 1000 people at her party.
邀请他一下对她本来不会有任何坏处
It couldn’t have hurt her to have asked him.
交给我吧
Leave that to me.
别担心那些袋子,亲爱的
Don’t worry about the bags, darling.
毛姆先生你好
Mr. Maugham.
-拉里你也来了 -你好
-Larry. -Hello
真是没想到,我不知道你也在这边
This is a surprise. I had no idea you were here.
-你好格雷 -他怎么样了?
– Hello, Gray. – How is he?
-还好你们来得及时 -可怜的艾略特舅舅
– I’m afraid you’ve come just in time. – Poor Uncle Elliott.
-我觉的他很想见你,进去吧 -拉里你别走
– I think he’d like to see you. Come on. – Larry, you’re not leaving?
我很快回来
I’ll be right back.
拉里,你怎么从这里进来了
It’s more usual to come in by the door, Larry.
你好,我还以为没有人呢
Hello. I thought the room was empty.
那你来这里干什么?
Then may I inquire what you’re doing here?
-我是飞贼,亲爱的 -这可真是想不到呢
– I’m a burglar, dear. – Fancy that, now.
我还以为你是来打我的呢
And I thought for one happy moment that you’d come here to attack me.
不,基斯小姐,我是来偷公主的宴会邀请函的
No, Miss Keith. No, I came to steal a card for the princess’s party.
-她还邀请艾略特呢 -我知道她没有
– She hasn’t asked Elliott Templeton. – I know she hasn’t.
她亲自把他的名字从名单上划掉了
She crossed his name off on the list herself.
他因为没收到邀请特别伤心呢
He’s awfully hurt at being left out.
如果他想和公主保持好关系…
If he wanted to keep in with her…
…那他真不应该说关于她和她司机的坏话
…he shouldn’t have said those terrible things about her and her chauffeur.
但可惜,他说了不少
The unfortunate part about it is that they’re all true.
-你对他有意见吗? -没有,他一直对我很好
– You have nothing against him. – No. He’s always been very nice to me.
他是一个绅士
He’s a gentleman.
至少比大多数到这里来骗吃骗喝的人都要正派
That’s more than you can say about most people who come here to fill their bellies at the princess’s expense.
基思小姐,那就行行好,给我一张邀请函吧,他也不会来的
Oh, come, Miss Keith, be a good sport. Give me a card. He won’t come.
他快死了,这会让这个可怜的老人很高兴的
He’s dying, and it’ll make the poor old man so happy.
邀请函在桌上
The cards are on the desk.
我要去看看窗外的风景
I am going to look out of the window to observe the beauty of the prospect.
当我转身之后发生的事情…
And what happens when my back is turned…
…上帝和任何人都不能让我负责
…neither God nor man can hold me responsible for.
谢谢你,基思小姐
Thank you, Miss Keith.
我们可怜的朋友很虚弱
Our poor friend is very low.
他是个好人
He was a good man.
他的缺点只是些小毛病,实际上他心地宽厚…
His defects were on the surface, but he was generous of heart…
…待人友善
…and kindly toward his fellow creatures.
你们可以进去了
You may go in now.
我非常荣幸,亲爱的朋友们
A great honor, my dears.
我将会带着教会大人物的介绍信进入天国
I shall enter the kingdom of heaven with a letter of introduction from a prince of the church.
我想所有人都会欢迎我的
I fancy all doors will be open to me.
-你会发现人色非常复杂的 -你别信这些
– You’ll find the company very mixed. – Don’t you believe it.
那里不会有这里如此混乱的平等
There will be none of this confounded democracy there.
我会一如既往地挑选我的朋友
I shall pick and choose my company as I always have.
不,不,请不要拉窗帘,我喜欢下午的这个时候
No, no, please don’t draw the curtains. I always love this time of afternoon.
喝一杯吧,朋友
Why don’t you have a drink, my dear fellow?
-你总是会在这个时候喝一杯 -我现在不喝了
– You always have a drink at this time. – I have had it.
伊莎贝尔,如果你要哭,最好是离开这个屋子…
Have you? Isabel, if you are going to make a scene you will have to leave the room.
我还是有点钱的,我把我的一切都留给你了
I’m a rich man in my way, and I’ve left you everything I have.
-艾略特舅舅… -来来来,格雷,这里来
– Oh, Uncle Elliott. – Now, now, now. Gray, come here.
我知道你又找到工作了
I understand you have a job in prospect.
是,我大学室友让我去他公♥司♥里工作
Yes. A roommate of mine in college has offered me a job in his business.
我想先看看能不能筹到足够的钱重建我父亲的公♥司♥
My idea is to see if I can raise enough money to start up my father’s firm again.
-还在准备 -好极了
– It’s still in receiver’s hands. – Splendid.
你现在有钱了,孩子
You have the money now, my boy.
给谈波登先生的信,加急的
Letter for Mr. Templeton. It’s marked urgent.
约瑟夫,你就在这儿
Joseph, you’d better stay.
-艾略特 -怎么了?
– Elliott. – What is it?
给你的
For you.
替我打开
Open it.
-说的什么? -是埃德娜·诺瓦马里宴会的邀请函
– What is it? – It’s a card for Edna Novemali’s party.
看吧,我就说
There, what did I tell you?
拿一下信笺和信封
Get a pad and envelope.
-我要回复 -算了吧,现在别操这心了
– I’ll reply. – Please, don’t bother about that now.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!