我不妨告诉你,拉里很蠢的,没怎么受过教育
I may as well tell you that Larry’s very stupid and uneducated.
他什么都不懂,除了飞行
He knows nothing about anything except flying.
当他复员回来的时候,穿着制♥服♥,太帅气了……
When he came back, he looked so lovely in his uniform…
…我一就直守在他家门口,直到他同意娶我
…I camped on his doorstep until he consented to marry me.
-竞争太激烈了 -你可别信她说的话
– The competition was awful. – Don’t believe a word she says.
伊莎贝尔虽然不是个坏女孩,但可是个撒谎好手
Isabel’s not a bad girl, but she’s a terrible liar.
-开饭了 -哦,好的
– Dinner. – Oh, yes.
我之前见过你
I’ve seen you before.
是吗,什么时候?
Oh, when?
今早我因为工作需要去图书馆
I happened to have work to do, and I went into the library.
我在那儿看到你了
I saw you there this morning.
我吃完午饭又去,你还在那儿
When I came back from lunch, you were still there.
-我忘了吃午饭了 -你的注意力很让人佩服啊
– I forgot about lunch. – I couldn’t help admiring your power of concentration.
-因为我看的那本书… -我的朋友…
– It was that kind of a book. – My fellow…
…你的位置在桌子那一端,挨着我姐姐
…you’re at the end of the table with my sister.
-你好,格雷 -你们好
– Hello, Gray. – Hi there.
欸,我爸和我说,你拒绝了那份工作?
Say, Dad tells me you turned down that job in the office.
拉里,你为什么这么做?
Oh, Larry, why have you done that?
我想了想,我觉得我肯定会让格雷父亲失望的…
I thought it over, and I figured I’d be a disappointment…
…与其那样不如算了 -太遗憾了兄弟
– …so I decided I’d better refuse. – Sorry, old man.
如果我们能一起工作,那简直太好了
It would have been swell, us working together.
小棕眼睛,看来你的大高个律师今晚要放你鸽子了啊
Hi, brown eyes, looks as if tall, dark and legal is standing you up tonight.
我倒也想抓住他
I’d like to catch him trying it.
-看起来你们是老朋友了?-我们一起长大的
– You’re old friends? – We grew up together.
我以前是他们棒球队的游击手
I used to play shortstop on his baseball team.
我们曾经觉得我们能打过任何一队跟我们一样大的孩子呢
We used to think we could lick any 10 kids our size.
-你能吗?-我们尝试过
– And could you? – We tried.
噢,我男朋友终于来了
Oh, here comes my young man now.
-我来了 -你来了
– Well, here you are. – Hello.
这是毛姆先生,这是鲍勃·麦克唐纳
This is Mr. Maugham. Bob MacDonald.
-你好 -你好
– How do you do? – How are you?
他就是那个自以为想娶我的人
He’s the one who seems to think he wants to marry me.
我不知道为什么,但就是想
I can’t see why, but there it is.
我只是碰巧爱上了这个女孩
I just happen to be crazy about the girl.
我不想让他知道,我只告诉你…
I wouldn’t like him to know, but just between you and me…
我也很喜欢他 -我们去跳舞吧
– …I rather like him myself. – Let’s dance.
-你好啊,伊莎贝尔 -你好
– Hello, Isabel. – Hello.
拉里,你为什么不告诉我马图林先生给了你一份工作?
Larry, why didn’t you tell me that Mr. Maturin had offered you a job?
什么?
What?
拉里,你为什么不告诉我马图林先生给了你一份工作?
Larry, why didn’t you tell me that Mr. Maturin had offered you a job?
回答我
Answer me.
回答我
Answer me.
嗯,我想我还是先把我的情绪整理好再说吧
Well, I thought I’d better not until I made up my mind one way or another.
你生气了吗?
You mad?
亲爱的,这就是你最讨厌的地方
Darling, that’s the horrible part about you.
不管你有多气人,别人都没办法生你的气
However aggravating you are, one can’t really be angry with you.
是吗?
Oh, can’t they?
你注意到艾略特舅舅看我的眼神了吗?
Did you see those looks Elliott was giving me?
拉里,说到底,人总得工作啊
Well, after all, Larry, a man must work.
你拖得越久,就越难开始
And the longer you put it off, the harder it’ll be.
我有个愚蠢的想法,我想做的不仅仅是卖♥♥债券
I’ve got a foolish notion I want to do more than just sell bonds.
好吧
All right, then.
那就去当个律师
Go into a law office.
那也不是我想做的
I don’t wanna do that either.
那你想做什么?
What do you want to do then?
我也不知道
I don’t know.
也许是游荡吧
Loaf, maybe.
拉里,别开玩笑了
Oh, Larry, don’t be funny.
这很严肃的
This is serious.
我没有开玩笑,我是很严肃的
I’m not being funny. I think it’s very serious.
我永远都不会让你感到痛苦的
I wouldn’t make you miserable for anything.
但你现在就让我很痛苦
But you are making me miserable.
你知道的,我爱你
You see, I love you.
我也爱你,伊莎贝尔
And I love you, Isabel.
拉里,我们还是理智点吧
Look, Larry, let’s be sensible.
人必须要工作,这事关尊严
A man must work. It’s a matter of self-respect.
我们的国家还很年轻,建设它是每个人的责任
This is a young country, and it’s a man’s duty to take part in its activities.
格雷的父亲前几天还说…
Gray’s father was saying only the other day…
…我们正在开始一个全新时代,这个时代会让过去的成就看起来一文不值
…that we’re beginning an era that will make the past look like 30 cents.
他觉得我们的未来无限可期…
He said that he can see no limit to our progress…
…到1930年,我们将成为世界上最伟大最富有的国家
…and that by 1930, we’ll be the greatest and richest country in the whole world.
你不觉得那很令人兴奋吗?
Don’t you think that’s terribly exciting?
觉得
Terribly.
对一个年轻人来说,这是从来没有过的机会
Why, there never was such a chance for a young man.
我还以为你会为能参与其中而感到骄傲呢
I’d have thought you’d be proud to be a part of it.
这是很了不起的事情
It’s such a wonderful adventure.
我也觉得你说得对,伊莎贝尔
I’m sure you’re right, Isabel.
阿缪尔公♥司♥、斯威夫特公♥司♥会做出更好的肉罐头
The Armours and Swifts will pack more and better meat.
麦考密克公♥司♥会生产出更多更好的收割机
The McCormicks will turn out more harvesters.
亨利·福特会造出更多更好的汽车,每个人都将变得更有钱
Henry Ford will make more cars, and everybody will get richer.
-这样有什么不好? -没有
– And what’s wrong with that? – Nothing.
没有什么不好
Nothing. It just happens that sitting in an office…
…只是碰巧我对赚大钱不感兴趣
…and making a lot of money doesn’t interest me.
拉里,别说傻话,没有钱你活不下去的
Oh, don’t talk like a fool. You can’t live without money.
但我现在有一点钱,所以我有机会做我想做的事
I have a little. That’s what gives me the chance to do what I want.
拉里,你让我很为难
You’re making it very difficult for me.
抱歉亲爱的,我也不想这样
I’m sorry, darling. I wouldn’t if I could help it.
你本可以不这样
You can help it.
对吗?
Yes?
人死的时候看上去死得可怕啊
The dead look so terribly dead when they’re dead.
什么意思?
– What does that mean, exactly?
就是这个意思
– Just that.
亲爱的,你是不是在为什么事情不开心?
Are you terribly unhappy, darling?
不,唯一让我不开心的事就是我让你不开心了
No, the only thing that makes me unhappy is making you unhappy.
我想,除非我想明白了一些事情,否则我永远得不到平静
I don’t think I’ll ever find peace until I make up my mind about things.
这很难用语言来表达,你刚一想说出来就觉得难为情
It’s so difficult to put into words. The minute you try, you feel embarrassed.
你会对自己说:你是谁呢,何必为这些事操心?
You say to yourself, ” Who am I to bother my head about this, that or the other?
沿着人们常走的路走,就这么过下去,不也很好吗?
Isn’t it better to follow the beaten path and let what’s coming to you come?”
然后,我又想到…
And then I think…
…我认识的那个人
…of a guy I knew.
一分钟前,他还充满活力、有说有笑,然后…
A minute before, he was full of life and fun, and then…
…他就那么死了
…he was dead.
我见过很多人死,但这一个不一样
I’ve seen many men die, but this one was different.
战争马上就结束了,几乎就是最后一战
It was the last day of the war, almost the last moment.
他本可以救自己的,但他没有,他救了我
He could’ve saved himself, but he didn’t. He saved me…
然后就死了
and died.
他死了,我却还活着
So he’s gone, and I’m here alive.
为什么?
Why?
这一切都太没有意义了
It’s all so meaningless.
你没办法不问自己,活着到底是为了什么
You can’t help but ask yourself what life is all about.
这一切究竟有什么意义?还是说一切只是糊里糊涂的错误
Whether there’s any sense to it or whether it’s just a stupid blunder.
我不知道该说什么,我真的没想到你经历了这些
I hardly know what to say. It’s so unexpected.
拉里,你觉得出去走走会有帮助吗?
Larry, do you think it would help if you went away for a while?
-我想也许可以 -那你为什么不去?
– I think perhaps it would. – Then why don’t you go?
因为你
Because of you.
拉里,我们敞开说吧
Larry, let’s be frank with each other.
现在你的生活里并没有我的位置
There’s no place in your life for me just now.
你是说你不想和我保持订婚关系了吗?
Does that mean you don’t want to be engaged?
当然不是,笨蛋
Oh, no, foolish.
我是说我可以等你
It means that I’m prepared to wait.
我可能需要一年,甚至更长的时间
It might be a year, or even longer.
没关系
That doesn’t matter.
也许会更短呢
It might be less.
你想去哪儿?
Where have you thought of going?
去哪?
Where?
我想我或许应该先去巴黎
Well, I thought I’d start by going to Paris.
我在军队里休假的时候去过几次
I went there several times on leave.
不知道为什么,我隐约觉得到了那边…
I don’t know why but I’ve got it into my head that there…
…我脑子里混乱的一切…
…everything that’s muddled in my mind…
…会变得清晰
…would grow clear.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!