No.
比如说印度?
India, for instance?
我去过那儿,遇到过一个奇怪的人
I went there. I met a strange man.
我从没想过这世上会有这样的人
A man I never thought to meet in this world.
简直就是圣人
A saint.
印度各地的人都赶来拜访他
People go from all parts of India to see him…
…告诉他他们的问题,征求他的意见,听他的教导
…tell him their problems, ask his advice and listen to his teaching.
之后他们就能得到内心的坚定和平静
And they go away strengthened in soul and at peace.
但真正了不起的不是他的教导
But it’s not his teaching that’s so remarkable.
是他这个人
It’s the man himself.
-他帮到你了吗? -没有
– Did he help you? – No.
但不是他的问题,是我的
But that wasn’t his fault. It was mine.
那你是怎么去印度的?
How did you ever come to go to India?
为了躲一个找我的人,他追我到了那儿
To escape my pursuer. He followed me there.
为了躲他,欧洲一半的港口我都去过,他一直追我
I’ve wallowed in the gutters of half the seaports of Europe to put him off my track. He was waiting for me.
我知道无论我逃多远,总有一天,他会找到我的
I know however far I flee, one day he will come up with me…
…然后我就会感受到那只可怕的手…
…and I shall feel the terrible hand…
…抓住我的肩膀
…on my shoulder.
面对这一切,接受你该有的惩罚不好吗?
Wouldn’t it be better to take your punishment?
你不知道惩罚是什么
You don’t know what the punishment is.
不是监狱,也不是绞刑架,这些我倒是可以面对
It’s not prison or the hangman’s rope. I could face that.
那是关于怜悯…
It’s mercy…
…宽恕,和爱的
…forgiveness, love.
没人跟你说过我曾经是个神父吗?
Didn’t anybody ever tell you that I’m a unfrocked priest?
我不是在躲警♥察♥
It’s not the police I’m running away from.
我会杀了任何想抓住我的人
I’d kill anyone who tried to arrest me.
这是神
It’s God.
滚出去,你这个笨蛋,我要去喝个烂醉
Get out, you fool! I’m going to get drunk.
抱歉他们打扰了我们的谈话,他们是来朝圣的
Sorry we were interrupted. They’re pilgrims.
他们从各处来,有些来自很远的地方
They come from many places, some from quite far distances.
你是为什么来呢孩子?
What has brought you here, my son?
我是来学习的
I’ve come to learn.
自从战争以来,我就一直在寻找什么
Ever since the war, I’ve been searching for something.
我没办法用语言来表达
Something that I’ve not been able to put into words.
有人告诉我,在你这里我可以得到指引
I’ve been told that from you I might find guidance.
上帝才是唯一的指引
God is the only guide.
我们可以谈谈,他可能会告诉我帮到你方法
But perhaps if we talk, he may show me a way to help you.
对我身边的人来说,我是个不愿意承担自己的责任的闲散之人
To my friends, I’m a loafer, afraid of responsibilities.
我甚至不能让我爱的人明白我在追求什么
I can’t even make those I love understand what I’m after.
你为了寻找答案,到这么远的地方来…
The fact you’ve taken the time to come this great distance…
…不就证明了你不害怕承担责任吗
…in search of knowledge proves that you’re not afraid of responsibilities.
甚至承认你想探寻本身就是一种勇气
Even to admit that you want to learn is in itself courageous.
我学习,旅行,我读了所有我能读到的东西…
I’ve studied, I’ve traveled, I’ve read everything I could get my hands on…
还是没有什么能让我满意
…and nothing seems to satisfy me.
而且,和其他人一样,我也想成功,我也想有所提升…
Oh, like everyone else, I want to succeed, I want to improve…
…但这并不一定是世俗意义上的成功
…but not necessarily in the terms of what the world calls success.
不知道怎么回事,我对世俗的价值观没什么信心
Somehow I’ve lost confidence in the accepted values.
我试着对安定下来,专注于自己的事业并有所成就的前景感到兴奋…
I try to get excited at the prospect of settling down minding my own business and making good…
但这只会增加我继续探寻的欲望
…but it only increases my urge to move on.
我知道如果我找到了我想要的东西…
I know that if I do find what I’m looking for…
…我还可以与他人分享
…it will be something that I can share with others.
但如何,在哪里才能找到它呢?
But how to find it, and where?
你的不安和困惑并不奇怪,孩子
All your restlessness and confusion are not unique, my son.
整个世界都骚动不安
The whole world is restless and confused.
只要人们把他们的理想寄托在错误的事情上,这种情况就会一直存在
It will always be so, as long as men set their ideals on the wrong objects.
除非人们能明白幸福来源于他们自己…
There can be no real happiness…
否则他们将永远无法获得幸福
…until men learn that it comes from within themselves.
我明白
I know.
众所周知,智者是靠自己内心的力量生活的…
It is written that the wise man lives from within himself…
这神给的力量,只存在于人的内心
…which is from God, from within his own heart.
这力量给予你平静、忍♥耐…
This is the way of calmness, forbearance
…同情,无私…
…compassion, selflessness…
…和永恒的平和
…and everlasting peace.
-但这很难 -是的
– But that’s not easy. – No.
救赎之路很困难
The road to salvation is difficult to pass over.
就像要跨越一把刀的利刃
As difficult as the sharp edge of a razor.
但就我们所知道的…
But this much we know…
和所有的宗教都教导的来说
…and all religions teach it.
我们每个人身上都有创造出我们的无限美好的火花
There is in every one of us a spark of the infinite goodness which created us.
当我们离开这个世界时,我们就会与它重聚
And when we leave this earth, we are reunited with it…
就像从天空落下的雨滴…
…as a raindrop falling from heaven…
…终于与孕育它的大海重聚
…is at last reunited with the sea which gave it birth.
-我可以留下来吗? -当然可以
– May I stay here with you? – Of course you may.
我们的生活很简单,有书
Our life’s very simple. There are books.
我们会一起探讨
We will talk together.
如果你愿意,你还可以在地里干活
You can even work in the fields if you wish.
我们印度人相信有三条路通往上帝
We Indians believe there are three roads that lead to God.
一是信仰和崇拜之路
One is the path of faith and worship.
一是为上帝行善的道路
One is the path of good works performed for the love of God.
还有第三条路,从知识通往智慧的路
And then there is a third path, which leads through knowledge to wisdom.
你选择了这条知识的道路
You have chosen the way of knowledge.
但你最终会发现…
But you will find in the end, my son…
…这三条路其实是同一条路
…that the three paths are but one path.
这是我的学生,他会带你去休息的地方
One of my students will show you where to sleep.
谢谢
Thank you.
-请让一下 -好的
– Excuse me, please. – Yes, sir.
接线员吗?
Operator?
密歇根7182
Michigan 7182.
找格雷·马图林先生
I wanna get Mr. Gray Maturin.
-汤普森医生在里面吗? -他在
– Is Dr. Thompson in there? – Yes, he is.
暂时先不做皮下注射,她现在情况还好
We’ll hold the hypo for now. She’s doing all right.
外面有人找你医生
You’re wanted, doctor.
我是格雷·马图林,医生。他们派人说找我
I’m Gray Maturin, doctor. They sent for me.
-她怎么样了?-现在清醒了
– How is she? – She’s conscious now.
她问起她丈夫的情况,要告诉她吗?
She asked about her husband. Will you tell her?
告诉她?她不知道吗?
Tell her? Doesn’t she know?
还不知道,不过在可能的休克反应之前还是应该告诉她
No, she should be told before a possible shock reaction.
你是她的老朋友了
You’re an old friend.
格雷,你能来真是太好了
Hello, Gray. It was nice of you to come.
我听到消息立马就赶过来了
I got here as quickly as I could.
发生这种事真是太荒唐了
It was such a silly thing to happen.
一群酒鬼在十字路口撞上了我们的车
A bunch of drunks. They ran into us at an intersection.
我们差点就死了
We might all have been killed.
还好我把孩子护在怀里
It was lucky I was holding the baby in my arms.
汽车损坏严重吗?鲍勃在哪儿?
Is the car badly damaged? Where’s Bob?
小心她的胳膊
Careful of her arm.
鲍勃呢?
Where’s Bob?
我要鲍勃,鲍勃呢?
I want Bob. Bob?
你得卧床休息,麦克唐纳夫人
You have to stay in bed, Mrs. MacDonald.
-放松,索菲 -不,我要见鲍勃
– Take it easy, Sophie. – No. I’ve got to see Bob.
-还有我的孩子,孩子 -别让她起来
– And baby. Baby, baby. – Don’t let her get up.
-我去叫医生 -索菲,快躺下
– I’ll get the doctor. – Sophie, lie down.
-别管我,你滚 -求你了索菲,求你了
– Leave me alone, you swine! – Please. Please, Sophie.
鲍勃死了吗,格雷?
Is Bob dead, Gray?
他是不是死了?
Is he dead?
告诉我,格雷
You can tell me, Gray.

Yes.
还有…
And…
…孩子呢?
…baby too?
琳达
Linda.
琳达!
Linda!
我的孩子
Baby.
皮下注射
Hypo.
琳达,醒醒,宝贝
Linda. Wake up, baby.
醒醒,宝贝,醒醒
Wake up, baby, wake up.
你准备好开始你的朝圣之旅了吗?
Well, are you ready to start on your pilgrimage?
是的
Yes.
但我会想念这里的,我很高兴
But I’ll miss it here. I’ve been very happy.
我们也会想念你的,但你已经从书里得到了所有你能得到的
We’ll miss you too. But you’ve got all you can get from books.
是时候把世界抛在脑后一段时间了
It’s time for you to put the world behind you for a while.
完全孤立自己…

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!