哦,没有什么特别的,我就是到处旅游…
Oh, nothing very exciting. I’ve traveled around…
…看书,去索邦大学旁听
…read a lot, gone to lectures at the Sorbonne.
你找到你寻找的内心的平静了吗?
Have you found that peace of mind you were looking for?
没有,但我终于开始看清了一些东西
No, but for the first time, I see things in a clear light.
什么意思?
What does that mean?
我很难说清楚,而且就算我试着说了,你也只会生我的气
It’s rather difficult to explain. And even if I try, you’ll only be angry with me.
那你觉得你还需要多久?
How much longer do you think all this is going to take you?
我不知道
I don’t know.
我真不知道,这很难说
I don’t know. It’s hard to say.
这之后呢,你准备用这些智慧做什么呢?
And after that, what are you going to do with all this wisdom?
如果我有了智慧,我想我就会聪明到知道该用它们做什么了
If I ever acquire wisdom, I suppose I’ll be wise enough to know what to do with it.
你知道艾略特舅舅怎么说你的吗
You know what Uncle Elliott says.
我觉得也没什么好说的
Nothing to my credit, I imagine.
他说你有个舒适的藏身之处
He says you have a cozy little hideout somewhere.
你自己来看看吧,藏身处离这里只有一步之遥
Come and see for yourself. The cozy little hideout’s only a step from here.
达雷尔先生, -杜瓦尔夫人,这是布拉德利小姐
– Monsieur Darrell. – Madame Duval, Mademoiselle Bradley.
-你好 -这是雅克·迪瓦尔
– Bonjour. – Monsieur Jacques Duval.
你看到他们看我的眼神了吗?
Did you see the looks they gave me?
你可是坏了我的形象啊
Ruined my character, that’s what you’ve done.
这就是你住的地方?
This is where you live?
-你不喜欢? -没有
– You don’t like it. – No.
我觉得挺好的,很方便的
Well, it’s all right. It’s convenient.
来杯咖啡?
How about a cup of coffee?
拉里,当美国正在经历世界上最辉煌的冒险的时候…
Larry, how can you bear to sit here in a backwash…
你怎么能受得了在这里一个人呆着呢?
when America’s living through the most glorious adventure the world has ever known?
你已经离开一年了
You’ve been away a year now
你人生中宝贵的一年啊
你人生中宝贵的一年啊
a whole year out of your life.
a whole year out of your life.
你不能永远这样闲混下去吧
You just can’t go on loafing forever.
还是说你可以?
Or can you?
有可能吧
It’s possible.
那我呢?
And what about me?
我对你来说一点都不重要吗?
Am I of no importance to you at all?
你对我很重要,伊莎贝尔
You’re of great importance to me, Isabel.
-我爱你,我想让你嫁给我 -什么时候呢,10年后吗?
– I love you. I want you to marry me. – When, in 10 years?
-不,现在,越快越好 -现在怎么行?
– No, as soon as possible. – On what?
-我一年有3000块 -算了吧,拉里
– I’ve got 3000 a year. – Oh, Larry.
-很多人的钱比这更少也能生活 -可我不想一年就靠3000块生活
– Lots of people live on a great deal less. – I don’t want to live on $3000 a year.
我从来没有过,我也不没有理由这样
I never have, and I don’t see why I should.
我们可以去卡普里度蜜月
We could go to Capri for our honeymoon.
到了秋天我们还可以去希腊
And then in the fall, we could go to Greece.
还记得我们以前常说一起环游世界吗?
Remember how we used to talk about traveling together?
我当然想
Of course I want to travel.
但不是这样的旅行
But not like that.
便宜的餐馆,三流的旅店
Cheap restaurants, third-rate hotels.
而且…
Besides…
…我还想要孩子,拉里
…I want to have babies, Larry.
-可以啊亲爱的,我们可以带着他们一起 -不拉里,你太不切实际了
– All right, we’ll take them along with us. – Oh, Larry, you’re so impractical.
你不知道你在要求我做什么,我还很年轻
You don’t know what you’re asking me to do. I’m young.
我想要玩得开心,我要做别人都做的事
I want to have fun, do all the things people do.
那样的生活,我们连朋友都不会有的
We wouldn’t have a friend in the world.
伊莎贝尔,你太夸张了
Oh, Isabel, stop exaggerating.
你说的事情我们都可以做,我们一起做
We’ll do everything you want. We’ll do it together.
不,亲爱的,如果你身无分文…
Oh, listen. If you hadn’t a cent to your name…
…但找到一份一年3000块的工作,我会毫不犹豫地嫁给你的
…and got a job that brought you $3000 a year, I’d marry you without hesitation.
我会为你做饭,为你收拾床铺
I’d cook for you. I’d make beds.
我不在乎我穿什么,我觉得这样很有意思
I wouldn’t care what I wore. I’d think it was fun.
因为我知道你迟早会成功的
I’d know it was only a question of time until you’d make good.
但你说的意味着我们一辈子都只能这样,什么指望都没有
But this means living like this all our lives with nothing to look forward to.
这对于我来说太苛刻了
It’s asking too much.
拉里,你已经玩够了吧
Oh, Larry, you’ve had your fling now.
求求你跟我们一起回去吧,为了你自己
For your own sake, I beg of you to come home with us.
但就算我回去了也不会让你开心的
But I wouldn’t make you happy if I did.
你看,你忽略了我对知识的渴望了,这渴望就像…
You see, what you forget is that I want to learn as passionately as…
…就像格雷想要赚很多钱的渴望
…well, as Gray, for example, wants to make a lot of money.
我来这里是因为我很不安,因为我的脑子里的想法很混乱
I came over here because I was restless, and because my mind was muddled.
我是来寻找答案的,很多问题的答案
I came looking for the answers to a lot of questions.
有一些我已经找到了
Some of them I’ve found.
其他有一些或许我永远也找不到
Others I may never find.
但我不能在现在停下来
But I can’t stop now.
我知道,这听起来很抽象,很支离破碎…
Oh, I know it sounds vague and trivial compared with….
…和现在美国发生的一切相比
Well, compared with everything that’s happening at home today.
我也知道我现在很让你为难
And I know I’m being very difficult.
但我不能现在停下来,伊莎贝尔,我做不到
But I can’t stop now, Isabel. I just can’t.
如果每个人都像你这样,美国会怎么样?
What would happen to America if everyone did as you’re doing?
可是事实不是每个人都和我有一样的感受
The answer to that is that everyone doesn’t feel as I do.
他们很幸运,能够满足于遵循寻常的路,接受一切现实
Fortunately, most people are content to follow the normal course and take things as they are.
我也希望我可以那样
Oh, I wish I could too.
但我知道即使我努力那样做了,只会把你的生活搞得一团糟,我的也是
But I know if I tried, I’d just make a mess of your life, and of mine too.
但是…
But…
…这一切之后呢?
…what’s this all going to lead to?
我不知道
I don’t know.
也许我会找到一些可以让大家满意的东西
It may be that I will find something to give that people will be glad to take.
我也许可以做到
It’s just a chance.
即使我失败了,也没什么大不了,不像那些做生意失败了的人
But even if I fail I shan’t be any worse off than a fellow who’s gone into business and hasn’t made a go of it
那我也没什么好说的了
Then there’s nothing more to be said.
给你
Here you are.
伊莎贝尔
Isabel.
把这个戴在其他手指上吧,求你了
Wear this on another finger, please.
-我们还是朋友吧
– We’re still friends.
-当然
– Of course.
我们走吧
Shall we go?
好吧,继续,继续
Well, go on, go on.
我就不信了
I don’t believe it.
我的亲姐,你来的这两个月我都没有赢过
Luisa dear, do you realize that in the two months you’ve been here …I haven’t won a game?
-谁赢了? -我
– Who’s winning? – I am.
不错
Good.
我得说,伊莎贝尔这次做得很好,她跟你说了吗?
Well, I must say, Isabel’s taking it very well. Has she told you what happened?
我知道,她和拉里想明白了:他们在一起就是个错误
Only that she and Larry came to the conclusion they’d made a mistake.
-她写信告诉格雷了没有?-我没有看她信件的习惯
– Has she written to Gray? – I’m not in the habit of opening her mail.
在我看来,我觉得她已经完全摆脱了,当然,毫无疑问拉里身上有一种强烈吸引力…
If you ask me, she’s very well out of it. Of course there’s no doubt a strong tphysical attraction…
-但仅此而已 -她来了
– …but that’s all– – Here she is.
晚安,妈妈
Good night, Mother.
晚安亲爱的,别太晚了,我们明天早上得赶乘船的火车
Good night daring, don’t be too late. Remember we have to catch the boat train in the morning.
哟,穿得很正式嘛
You’re very dressed up.
要去什么地方吗? -是的
– You seem to be going somewhere. – Yes.
-去哪? -不是什么特别的地方
– Where? – Oh, nowhere in particular.
我就是和拉里一起出城玩
Larry and I are going out on the town.
拉里
Larry.
我们想要在一起度过最后一夜
We thought we’d spend our last night together.
你的意思是最后一个“晚上”吧
“Evening,” I trust you mean.
这我就不明白了
I’m profoundly shocked.
但凡他还懂点礼节,他都不会做这样的请求
If he had any decency, he’d never have asked you.
不是他请求的
But he didn’t ask me.
是我
I asked him.
-你应该阻止她去,路易莎 -如果我阻止了,你会听我的吗伊莎贝尔?
– You should forbid her to go Louisa. – Will you pay any attention to me if I do?
不,妈妈,我不会
– No, darling, none.
所以还是算了吧
In that case I don’t think there’s any point in my forbidding it.
她穿那条裙子真漂亮
Pretty dress she had on.
我还没意识到它的这么短呢
I hadn’t realized it was cut quite so low.
你今天好漂亮……
I’ve never seen you so beautiful.
好吧,我想我们该说再见了
Well, I guess this is goodbye.
你想进来喝最后一杯吗?
Will you come in and have one last drink?
好啊
Yes.
已经很晚了,你还是走吧
It’s late. You’d better go.
拉里,求你了,快走吧
Oh, Larry, for heaven’s sakes, go!
求你了,拉里
Please, Larry.
拉里
Larry.
舅舅!?
Uncle Elliott.
亲爱的,你刚刚的表演太精彩了
That was a brilliant performance, my dear.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!