我把门开了一点
I left the door just a little open.
要我给你拿杯喝的吗?我觉得你需要喝点
Shall I get you a drink? I expect you want it.
你自以为你很懂,对吧
You think you’re very clever, don’t you?
不是我认为,我知道我很懂
I don’t think it, I know it.
行了行了,孩子,冷静点
Come, come, child, be reasonable.
我知道你打的什么算盘
I guessed you were up to something.
你今晚为了诱惑拉里付出的痛苦的努力,就连你妈妈也注意到了
Even your mother noticed the pains you went to… to make yourself alluring tonight.
你真的很讨人厌
You’re hateful.
但我不傻,亲爱的
But no fool, my angel.
你觉得你把他带回来,无可避免地会发生些什么
Am I right that you thought if you could get him to come back
我说得对吧
here it was almost inevitable that the inevitable should happen?
不能更对了
No one could put it more delicately.
我们都知道一个女孩违背了道德会有什么可怜的下场
We know what the consequences may be when a poor girl strays from the narrow path of virtue.
什么下场?
Do we?
我猜,如果今晚你罔顾道德的计划成功了…
My guess is that if your unscrupulous plan had come off…
你回到芝加哥,可怜的拉里不久就会收到你的来信…
…it wouldn’t have been long after you returned to Chicago before the wretched Larry got a letter from you…
…在信里你会告诉他你怀孕了,让他马上回来吧…
…telling him to come back at once and make an honest woman of you.
*make an honest woman of you:娶已经与自己发生性关系的女人为妻*
你有时真的很让人讨厌
You can be wonderfully disagreeable when you like.
我知道,这是我最宝贵的能力
I know, it’s one of my most cherished gifts.
为什么不继续?
Why didn’t you go through with it?
当我看着他的眼睛…
When I looked into his eyes…
…他看起来一点也没有察觉这是一个圈套…
…and saw he hadn’t the slightest idea I’d set a trap for him…
…我就觉得我不能用这种卑鄙的手段
…I couldn’t bring myself to play such a dirty trick.
我做不到
I couldn’t help myself.
可能这才是我的本性吧
I suppose it was my better nature.
胡说,这只能是你的常识
Nonsense. It was your sound Middle Western horse sense.
你要是真嫁给他,你就是疯了
You’d have been mad to have married him.
是吗
I wonder.
相信我
Believe me.
你们相隔一个大西洋之后,你很快就不会在乎他了
when you’ve put the Atlantic between you and that young man, you won’t care two straws for him.
相信你艾略特舅舅
Trust your Uncle Elliott.
他可是个很有智慧的老头
He’s a very wise old party.
马图林先生,您的蛋糕
Mr. Maturin, the cake.
给你刀,伊莎贝尔小姐
Here’s a knife, Miss Isabel.
哦不,马图林夫人
I mean, Mrs. Maturin.
-我该怎么弄? -格雷,你也一起吧
– What do I do with it? – Gray, you get in. You’re in on this.
-我告诉过你该怎么做,把着她的手 -我很乐意
– I told you what to do. Take her hand. – Nothing would please me more.
亲爱的,这是我参加过的最棒的婚礼
Darling, this is the nicest wedding I’ve ever been to.
-我们早该如此的 -艾略特舅舅
– We should’ve thought of this sooner. – Uncle Elliott…
法国新娘应该怎么切蛋糕?
How do brides cut cakes in France?
用刀切,亲爱的
With a knife, dear.
-现许愿吧,格雷 -我没什么愿望要许了
– Now make a wish, Gray. – I don’t have to.
我的愿望已经实现了
I’ve got my wish.
我一直不明白为什么…
I’ve never understood why…
世界上有这么多地方,大家还要选择住在中西部
when there’s so much space in the world, people should deliberately choose to live in the Middle West.
这是什么?
What in heaven’s name is this?
原本就是这样单独的一个吗?
Is it alone?
不是还附带了什么?这到底是什么?
Doesn’t it come with something? What is it?
-可能是泡菜叉子 -泡菜叉子?
– It could be a pickle fork. – A pickle fork?
在叶礼物专柜也就卖♥♥2.98吧
Two ninety-eight, no doubt, at Ye Gifte Shoppe.
4.5,谈波登先生,而且是在欧本多弗买♥♥的
Four fifty, Mr. Templeton, at Obendorfer’s.
-我们知道,因为是我们送的 -真好,是用的还是作装饰的?
– We know, because we sent it. – Charming. Is it for use or ornament?
都可以
Both.
还记得我吗?上次在芝加哥我们见过
Remember me? We met the last time I was in Chicago.
-我当然知道,毛姆先生 -你好,先生
– I certainly do, Mr. Maugham. – Hello, sir.
索菲
Sophie.
亲爱的,你和鲍勃能来真是太好了
Oh, darling, how sweet of you and Bob to come.
让我看看你
Let me see you.
-你真漂亮,伊莎贝尔 -真的吗?
– Oh, you look beautiful, Isabel. – Think so?
一百万美元那么多,或者我应该说2000万?
Like a million dollars. Or should I say 20 million?
亲爱的,我们好久没见过你和鲍勃了
Darling, we never see you and Bob anymore.
你们现在住在哪呢?
Where do you hide yourselves?
就现在的话,因为我们条件也没有很好…
Just at present, for reasons best known to ourselves…
-…我们不和富人混在一起 -那样花销太大了
– …we don’t mix with the rich. – We find it expensive.
-孩子们怎么样了? -挺好的
– How’s the kid, Bob? – Fine.
-你要不要… -拜托,亲爱的,别现在
– Would you like–? – Oh, please, darling, not now.
我好想去看看你们,你们住在哪?
I’d love to come see you. Where do you live now?
北区的一间无电梯公♥寓♥
In a walk-up apartment on the North Side.
我也很想请你吃饭,就是怕你不喜欢我做的菜
I’d ask you to dinner, only I’m afraid you won’t care for my cooking.
别信她,她简直是芝加哥最好的厨师
Don’t you believe her. She’s the best darn cook in Chicago.
终成眷属啊
All’s well that ends well.
不得不说,他们真的是非常般配
And I must say, they make a very attractive couple.
-希望他们会幸福 -肯定会的
– I hope they’ll be happy. – Why shouldn’t they be happy?
一切让他们幸福的东西了他们都有了
They have everything to make them happy.
钱,地位,漂亮的房♥子,格雷的父亲总有一天也会走
Money, position, a nice house. And Gray’s father can’t live forever.
拉里呢?你有他的消息吗?
What about Larry? Heard anything about him?
当然没有,伊莎贝尔和路易莎一走…
Good heavens, no. As soon as Isabel and Louisa went away…
…我把他像烫手山芋一样甩掉了,他就是一个不招人喜欢的年轻人
…I dropped him like a hot potato. A most undesirable young man.
上次我在巴黎的时候想找他,但也没找到
I tried to find him the last time I was in Paris, but I couldn’t.
我还挺好奇他怎么样了
I wonder what’s happened to him.
朋友,我想说…
Shall I tell you something, my dear fellow?
我一点也不在乎
I don’t care a row of beans.
-嘿,科斯特 -一起喝一杯吗?
– Hey, Kosti. – How about a beer?
-我想先洗一洗 -得了吧
– Well, I would like to wash up first. – Oh, come on.
这也没有很脏,你可以一会儿再洗
It’s good, clean dirt. You can wash later.
来两杯啤酒,再拿一副牌
A couple of beers, sweetheart. And a deck of cards.
我昨晚还在找你,结果你出去了
I looked for you last night. You were out.
她漂亮吗?
Was she pretty?
不是你想的那样
You’re wrong.
我去大学听了一个讲座
I went to a lecture at the university.
没赶上公交,淋雨回来的
Missed the bus. I walked back in the rain.
-你活该 -为什么?
– It serves you right. – Why?
启蒙是文明的诅咒
Enlightenment is a curse of civilization.
把精力浪费在知识上的人是傻瓜
A man who wastes his energy on knowledge is a fool.
学得越多,想要的就越多,就会越不快乐
The more he learns, the more he wants, and the more unhappy he becomes.
拆毁校舍,烧毁书本,勒死老师…
Tear down the schoolhouses, burn the books, strangle the teachers.
这样才能通向快乐
Then the world can get somewhere.
啤酒来了
The beer.
还有牌
And the cards.
输了的给酒钱
We’ll play for the drinks.
一个想要学知识的人为什么要到煤矿来工作?
Why should a man who wants to develop his brain work in a coalmine?
你在外面也可以找到一份很好的工作吧
Answer me that. You could have gotten a soft job on the surface.
我想在矿里
I wanted to work below.
你是为了躲着什么,对不对
Hiding out, are you?
-犯事了?-没有
– Police after you? – No.
-躲你的情人? -也不是,我只是觉得做点体力活对我有帮助
– A woman? – No, I just thought it’d do me good to work up a sweat.
其他波兰人跟你说过我什么没有?
What have the other Poles told you about me?
说了些,他们劝我不要和你打牌,因为你会作弊
Not much. They advised me not to play cards with you because you cheat.
-你觉得呢? -我同意,我知道你作弊
– Do you think it’s true? – Yes. I know it is.
那你为什么还跟我玩?
Then why do you play with me?
打着玩嘛
For the fun of it.
我一直在看观察,但我还是没看出你怎么做到的
I’ve been watching. I can’t see how it’s done.
你永远也不会看出来的
You never will, my boy.
我不应该觉得喝几杯酒就值得你浪费时间
I shouldn’t have thought it worth your while just for a few drinks.
我经常练习的
I like to keep my hand in.
你在这儿呆够了之后打算干什么?
What are you going to do when you get enough of this?
回美国?
Go back to America?
是吧,总有一天会回去的
I will, I suppose, one of these days.
-做什么? -卖♥♥债券?
– And do what? – Sell bonds.
你真是个怪人,拉里
You’re a rum one, Larry.
那你一直问自己的那些问题的答案呢?
But what about the answers to all those profound questions you have been asking yourself?
你不知道几千年来,人们都一直在问同样的问题吗?
Don’t you know people have been asking the same questions for thousands of years?
是的,几千年来人们一直在问同样的问题
Yes, but doesn’t the fact that people have asked those same questions…
这不正说明了这些问题很让人困扰?
…for thousands of years only go to prove that they can’t help asking?
很好,很好
Very good. Very good.
你也不是很蠢嘛
You’re not altogether stupid.
你听起来倒像个是个坚定的无神论者
As a matter of fact, you sound like a very religious man who doesn’t believe in God.
我也不确定我信什么
I’m not sure that I believe in anything.
你有想过去东方吗?
Have you ever thought of going to the East?
没有

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!