If you will excuse me, I will now leave you.
我突然想起我还有个约会
I find I have an engagement.
-再见朋友们 -再见
– Goodbye, my dear fellow. – Goodbye.
-再见 -再见
– Goodbye. – Goodbye.
-你知道伊莎贝尔和格雷也在这里吗?
– Did you know Isabel and Gray are here?
真的吗?他们住在哪里?
Really? Where are they staying?
和孩子们住在艾略特的公♥寓♥里
In Elliott’s apartment with their children.
我一定要去看看他们
I must look them up.
如果你不想吓到他们的两个女儿,你最好去理个发
If you don’t want to drive their two girls into hysterics you’d better get a haircut.
好主意
That’d be a good idea anyway.
他们刚度过了一段难熬的日子,马图林父子的公♥司♥在这次大萧条里破产了
They’ve had a bad time. The Maturin Company was wiped out in the crash.
格雷精神崩溃了
Gray had a nervous breakdown.
可怜的格雷,真替他难过
Poor Gray. Oh, I am sorry to hear that.
你去印度干什么了?
What did you do in India?
我去了解自己了
I learned something about myself.
我在那里很开心
I was very happy there.
-先生,毛姆先生来了 -知道了
– Mr. Maugham, sir. – Yes, I know.
你好,毛姆先生 -你好 -很高兴再见面
– Hello, Mr. Maugham. – Hello, good to see you again.
伊莎贝尔说她和你通过电♥话♥
Isabel said she talked to you on the phone.
告诉马图林太太毛姆先生来了
Tell Mrs. Maturin Mr. Maugham’s here.
听说你身体不舒服,我很难过
I’m sorry to hear you’ve been under the weather.
就是那种来去突然的病,我也摆脱不了
It’s one of those things that comes and goes. I can’t get rid of it.
我想着到这儿来换个环境会对我有帮助的
I thought if I came here the change might do me good.
你好
Hello.
-毛姆先生 -伊莎贝尔
– Mr. Maugham. – Isabel.
很高兴见到你
This is a pleasure.
-孩子们好吗? -噢,很好,他们长得很快
-How are the children? -Oh, wonderful. Growing by leaps and bounds.
现在怎么样了,亲爱的?
How is it now, dear?
哦,没事
Oh, I’m all right.
原谅我过去待会儿,虽然这样很讨厌
If you’ll excuse me, I always feel such a nuisance when I’m like this.
你想要什么吗亲爱的?
Do you want anything, dear?
-没什么 -真的吗? -嗯
– No. – Sure? -eh
-可怜虫
Poor boy.
-真遗憾,我还说今晚和你们一起吃饭呢 -我很乐意,但他真的很痛苦
– What a pity. I was hoping you two…would dine with me tonight. – Oh, I’d love to. But he really suffers.
毛姆先生,你看起来状态很好
You look very well, Mr. Maugham.
我还不错
I am very well.
拉里还没到?
Larry hasn’t arrived yet?
拉里?
Larry?
是的,他今天和我一起吃的午饭,说他今天下午会来看望你们
Yes, he lunched with me today. He said he’d drop in on you this afternoon.
拉里在巴黎吗?他去哪儿了?
Larry in Paris? Where has he been?
印度
India.
我怎么不知道
But I didn’t know.
我不知道他去印度了
I didn’t know he’d been in India.
你知道吗,我已经好久没见过他了
Do you realize I haven’t laid eyes on him for…
好多年了
years?
你有没有告诉他我们的钱都没有了?
Did you tell him we’d lost all our money?
想想就觉得很有意思…
It’s funny when you think of it…
我们现在的钱就和拉里让我嫁给他时他拥有的钱差不多
that we have almost exactly the income that Larry had when he wanted me to marry him.
但我拒绝了,因为觉得我们不可能靠那一点钱生活
And I wouldn’t, because we couldn’t possibly live on it.
现在我甚至还有两个孩子
And now I have two children besides.
我觉得你倒没必要觉得遗憾
I don’t think you’re so terribly to be pitied.
我过去一下
Excuse me.
达雷尔先生
Mr. Darrell.
伊莎贝尔
Isabel.
拉里
Larry.
好久不见,伊莎贝尔
Hello, Isabel.
拉里
Larry.
拉里,我真不敢相信
Oh, Larry, I can’t believe it.
他们去哪儿了?
Where did they go?
谁?
Who?
-哦孩子们 -过来孩子们,来,过来
Oh, the brood. Come on, babies. Come on, darling. Come back.
-来我抱抱,你叫什么名字? -琼
– Oh, come here. What’s your name? – Joan.
-琼,你多大了? -7岁
– Joan. And how old are you? – Seven.
七岁了啊
Seven.
这是普里西拉
This is Priscilla.
七年了,好久不见
Seven. It has been a long time.
是的,好久不见
Yes. A long time.
-孩子们真可爱,格雷呢?-在书房♥
– It’s a lovely brood. Where’s Gray? – In the library.
过去玩吧
Run along, darlings.
-你好,拉里 -你好
– Hello, Larry. – Hello.
进来看看格雷
Come in and see Gray.
格雷,你看谁来了
Gray, look who’s here.
-你好,格雷,别起来 -拉里,很高兴见到你
– Hello, Gray. Don’t get up. – Larry. I am glad to see you.
抱歉让你看到我这样
Sorry you caught me like this.
恼人的头痛 -我懂
– Blinding headache. – Yes.
毛姆先生说晚请我们出去吃饭
Mr. Maugham wants to take us all out this evening.
我想我们可以在城里吃顿饭,你的身体可以吗
I thought we’d dine and do the town. Do you feel up to it?
谢谢你毛姆先生,但我恐怕不行
Well, that’s very nice of you, Mr. Maugham, but I’m afraid not.
-拉里会去的,对吧? -可怜的格雷
– Larry’ll go, won’t you, Larry? – Oh, poor Gray.
-去吧你们 ,别让我坏了今晚的兴致 -等一下
-Sail on, all of you. Don’t let me spoil your evening. -Wait a minute.
让我试试能不能帮你?
Would you let me see if I can help you?
-怎么帮? -我也许可以…
– How? – I mean, I….
我也许可以帮你帮你自己
I might be able to help you help yourself.
好吧
All right.
拿着,坐下
Here, sit down.
你打算怎么做?
What are you going to do?
等待
Wait.
这是什么?
What’s this?
这是一枚印度的古钱币
It’s an old coin from India.
拿着
Here.
握紧你的拳头,掌心向下
Close your fingers tightly on this, palm downward.
现在抗拒我,不要用劲
Now don’t fight me. Don’t make any effort.
只用紧握硬币
Just squeeze the coin with your closed fist.
在我数到10之前…
Before I count 10…
…你的手会张开,硬币会掉出来
…your hand will open, and the coin will drop out of it.
一,两…
One, two…
…三、四…
…three, four…
…五、六…
…five, six…
七…
…seven…
…八、九…
…eight, nine….
我没有放开硬币,它自己掉出来的
I didn’t let that coin drop. It fell out of itself.
那这不重要
It’s not important.
我只是想让你对我有信心
I just thought it might give you confidence in me.
为什么?
Why?
你马上就知道了,拿着
You’ll see. Here.
明白吗?
Got it?
-躺在这儿 -你想让我怎么做?
– Excuse me. Here. – What do you want me to do?
到角落里来,靠在垫子上,让自己舒服一点
Come back in the corner and sit right against those cushions. Get comfortable.
-舒服吗? -还行
– Are you comfortable? – I think so.
-你有手表吗? -有
– Have you got a watch? – Yes.
手掌向下
Palm downward.
谢谢
Thank you.
六点四十三
Six forty-three.
60秒之内,你的眼皮会变得很沉…
In 60 seconds, your eyelids will grow heavy…
…非常沉,你将不得不闭上眼睛
…so heavy that you will be obliged to close them.
然后你会睡一分钟
Then you will sleep for another minute.
六点四十五,你会醒过来…
At 6:45, you will wake up…
…并且头也不会痛了
…and you will have no more pain.
不会痛了
No more pain.
信不信由你,他快睡着了
Believe it or not, he’s falling asleep.
-你在印度学的? -这没什么神奇的
– You learned that in India. – There’s nothing miraculous about it.
我只是向他灌输了一个想法,剩下的都是他自己做的
I merely put an idea into his head. He’s doing the rest himself.
我确实睡着了
I did doze off.
头痛好点了吗?
Is your head better?
我不知道,可能是吧
I don’t know. Could be.
-你做了什么? -我什么都没做,是你自己做的
– You did something. What did you do? – I didn’t do it. You did it yourself.
-是吗?-当然
– Did I? – Of course.
刚才我的头痛得都快裂开了,从这儿到这儿
A moment ago, my head was splitting wide open, from here to here.
-现在呢? -当然好多了
– How is it now? – Well, it’s certainly better.
你能彻底治好他吗?
Could you cure him permanently?
我不能创造奇迹,但他不是不能治愈自己

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!