在1955年7月4日逝世
passed away July the 4th, Independence Day, 1955,
那年大旱
the year of the drought.
雷美快14岁时嫁给了我
When I married Lula Mae, she was going on 14.
一般的14岁少年心智
Now, you might think the average person going on 14,
还不成熟
wouldn’t know his own mind.
但巴雷美可不是这样
But you take Lula Mae.
她是一个很特别的人
She was an exceptional person.
我跟你说
I’ll tell you, son,
当她离家出走时伤透我们的心
she just plumb broke our hearts when she run off like she done.
她没有出走的理由
Just plain had no reason.
所有家务由女儿负责
All the housework was done by her daughters.
雷美可干得轻松
Lula Mae could just take it easy.
她长得很丰满
I tell you, that woman got positively fat,
她的弟弟也长得高大
while her brother, he growed up into a giant.
跟他们初来我们家时两个样子
Which is a sight different from the way they come to us.
他们当时还是野孩子
A couple of wild young’uns, they was.
我抓到他们在偷牛奶和火鸡蛋
I caught them outside the house stealing milk and turkey eggs.
他们曾在图利东部和一些
Lula Mae and her brother had been living
窝囊废生活
with some mean, no-account people about 100 mile east of Tulip.
她有理由离开那个家
She had good cause to run off from that house.
但没有理由离我们而去
Never had none to leave mine.
她的弟弟也走了吗
What about her brother? Didn’t he leave, too?
没有 我们收留费特 直至他被召入伍
No, sir. We had Fred with us till they took him in the army.
我为了此事来找她 我有他的信
That’s what I come to talk to her about. I had a letter from him.
他将在二月服完兵役
He’s getting out of the army in February.
所以我来找她
That’s why I got on a Greyhound bus to come to get her.
雷美该与她的丈夫 孩子和弟弟同住
Lula Mae’s place is with her husband, her children, and her brother.
这是朱古力的赠品 你想要吗
It’s the prize in the Cracker Jack. You want it?
不明白她为何离家出走
Never could understand why that woman run off.
别说她过得不快乐
Don’t tell me she weren’t happy.
她吱吱喳喳的说话
Talky as a jaybird she was.
而且言之有理
With something smart to say on every subject.
比电台还厉害
Better than the radio.
我向她求婚那晚上 我哭得像个婴孩
The night I proposed, I cried like a baby.
她说 你为什么哭 我们一定会结婚的
She said, “What you want to cry for, Doc? Of course we’ll be married.
“我从没结过婚”
“I’ve never been married before.”
我大笑起来 紧抱着她
Well, I had to laugh and to hug and to squeeze her.
“从没结过婚”
“Never been married before.”
我已说过 我需要一个朋友
Listen, son. I advised you I need a friend.
因为我不想吓她一跳
‘Cause I don’t want to surprise or scare her none.
当我的朋友 告诉她我来了
Be my friend. Let her know I’m here.
你可以帮我的忙吗
Will you do that for me, son?
好的 只要你想这样
Yeah, sure, Doc. If that’s what you want.
走吧
Come on.
好啦
All right.
来了
Coming.
亲爱的 我正要外出
Oh, darling, I’m just on my way out.
我该半小时前赴约
I was supposed to be at 21 half an hour ago.
我们明天一起喝一杯吧
Maybe we can have a drink or something tomorrow, huh?
好的 雷美
Sure, Lula Mae,
若你明天还在这儿
if you’re still here tomorrow.
告诉我 他在哪儿
Oh, please, where is he?
费特
Fred?
费特
Fred?
天啊
Gosh.
雷美
Lula Mae.
甜心 他们没给你好吃的吗 你很瘦呢
Gee, honey, don’t they feed you up here? You’re so skinny.
-你好 医生 -雷美
-Hi, Doc. -Gosh, Lula Mae.
太好了
Kingdom come.
怎么了 你没事吧
What is it? What’s the matter? Are you all right?
没事 不是的
I guess so. No, I’m not.
-费特 你能帮我吗 -好的
-Fred, will you help me? -If I can.
我想你陪我们到车站去
I want you to come to the bus station with us, Doc and me.
-什么 -他还以为我会跟他回去
-What? -He still thinks I’m going back with him.
我需要帮助 我不能独自应付他
I need support. I don’t think I can play this scene alone.
霍莉 我能怎么做 他是你的丈夫
Holly, what can I do? He’s your husband.
-他不是 -他不是吗
-No, he’s not. -He’s not?
这段婚姻早已无效 是他不肯接受现实
It was annulled ages ago, but he just won’t accept it.
拜托你 我告诉他你来送别
Please, Fred. I’ll tell him you’re coming to see us off.
别说什么
Don’t say anything.
一小时后在大门外等 拜托你
Just meet us out front in about an hour. Please?
你等我一会 我去取行李
You wait right here, honey. I’ll get the bag.
我去买♥♥杂♥志♥
Why don’t I get some magazines?
费特 别丢下我
Please, Fred. Don’t leave me.
请注意
Attention, please.
五号♥月台班车 将前往达拉斯
Leaving from platform five, through coach to Dallas,
费城 哥伦布 印弟安纳 泰勒欧特
Philadelphia, Columbus, Indianapolis, Terre Haute,
圣路易斯 陶沙 俄克拉荷马城 丹尼逊 达拉斯
St. Louis, Tulsa, Oklahoma City, Denison, Dallas.
雷美 来吧 是我们的车
Come on, Lula Mae. That’s us.
医生 我不会跟你走
Doc, I’m not coming with you.
我们去散步 让我跟你解释
Come on. Let’s walk together quietly and I’ll try and help you understand.
费特 帮我劝劝他
Help me talk to him, Fred.
没事的
It’s all right, son.
谢谢你的好意 但这是我们之间的事
I appreciate you wanna help, but it’s between Lula Mae and me.
医生 我明白
Sure, Doc.
雷美 我爱你
I love you, Lula Mae.
我知道 这才令我烦恼
I know you do, and that’s just the trouble.
你总犯这样的错 去爱野生不羁的动物
It’s a mistake you always made, Doc, trying to love a wild thing.
你总把野生动物带回家
You were always lugging home wild things.
有一次是一头折翼的鹰
Once it was a hawk with a broken wing,
另一次是折肢的成年野猫
and another time it was a full-grown wildcat with a broken leg.
记得吗
Remember?
雷美 我有
Lula Mae, there’s something.
你不能爱野生不羁的动物
You mustn’t give your heart to a wild thing.
你越爱它们 它们越强壮
The more you do, the stronger they get.
最后它们有气力逃到树林和飞到树上
Until they’re strong enough to run into the woods or fly into a tree.
然后便一飞冲天
And then to a higher tree and then to the sky.
雷美 我有话跟你说
Lula Mae, there’s something I got to tell you.
数周前 我收到费特的信
A couple of weeks ago, I got a letter from young Fred.
费特 他没事吧
From Fred? He’s all right, isn’t he?
我想他很好
Yeah, he’s fine, I guess.
他在二月便服完兵役
He’s getting out of the army in February.
-他在信中这么写 -二月吗
-That’s what he wrote to tell me. -In February?
还有四个月而已
Well, that’s only four months.
所以你要跟我回去 雷美
So you see, you got to come back with me, Lula Mae.
你该与我 孩子和弟弟同住
Your place is with me and your children and your brother.
医生 你要明白 我不能回去
Doc, you’ve got to understand. I can’t come back.
你也要明白我想说的话
And you got to understand what I’m trying to tell you.
我不想逼你 但我现在不这样不行
Now, I don’t want to seem like I’m pressuring you none, but now I got to.
若你不回来
If you don’t come back with me,
我便写信给费特
I’m gonna have to write young Fred and tell him that
叫他再服役一段时间
unless he wants to look out for hisself, he better sign up for another hitch.
你别这样 别写信给他
Doc, don’t you do that. Don’t write that to him.
我想他来跟我生活
I’ll write him myself and tell him I want him here with me.
我会照顾他 别担心
I’ll take care of him. Don’t you worry.
雷美 你疯了
You’re talking crazy, Lula Mae.
别说了 我不再是雷美
Doc, stop calling me that. I’m not Lula Mae anymore.
好吧 雷美
All right, Lula Mae.
我猜你知道你在做什么
I guess you know what you’re doing.
孩子 请照顾她
Keep an eye on her, will you, son?
至少确保她吃点东西
At least see she eats something once in a while.
医生 好的
Sure, Doc.
她真瘦
So skinny.
医生 愿你明白
Please, Doc. Please understand.
我爱你 但我已不是雷美
I love you, but I’m just not Lula Mae anymore.
再不是了
I’m not.
费特 你知道吗
You know the terrible thing, Fred, darling?
最可怕的是我仍是雷美
I am still Lula Mae.
那个十四岁 偷火鸡蛋 在田里奔走的雷美
Fourteen years old, stealing turkey eggs and running through a briar patch.
但我现在却称那是心绪不宁的日子
But now I call it having the mean reds.

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
前一篇文章修女也疯狂
下一篇文章遗愿清单
一个人,一本书,一部电影,还是一段音乐 ♪ ♩ ♫ ♬ 在世界的某个角落, 总有什么能触动你的心灵; 在世界的某个角落, 总有和你一样的人。

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!