Mr. Carter, I’m going to live right here in your office,
卡特先生 我要你在你办公室里
as long as I have to. Mr. Carter.
若有需要 我会一直住下去 卡特先生
Live here? That’s right. Mr. Carter? Yes?
住在这里? 没错 卡特先生? 干嘛?
Excuse me. But a morning newspaper, Mr. Kane, after all…
借过 但我们是晨报 无论如何…
Excuse me.
借过
We’re practically closed for 12 hours a day. Excuse me.
我们一天只待十二小时 借过
Mr. Carter, that’s one of the things that’s going to have to be changed around here.
那正是即将改变的事情
The news goes on for 24 hours a day. 24? Excuse me.
一天廿四小时都会发生新闻 廿四? 借过
That’s right. Excuse me.
没错 借过 借过
Mr. Kanet, it’s impossible….
肯恩先生 这是不可能的….
I’ve drawn that cartoon. Here is what I mean.
我画了那个卡♥通♥ 那个卡♥通♥ 你懂了吗?
I’m no good as a cartoonist.
我不是很好的卡♥通♥画家
Look at that. You certainly aren’t.
看看 你当然不是
You’re the dramatic critic, Leland.
你是一流的评论家
You still eating? I’m still hungry.
你还吃东西吗? 我还在饿
Now look Mr. Carter, here’s a front-page story in the Chronicle…
卡特你看 这是记事报的头版消息…
about a Mrs. Harry Silverstone in Brooklyn who’s missing.
布鲁克林有位史东太太失踪了
Now, she’s probably murdered.
她或许被谋杀了
Here’s a picture in the Chronicle. Why isn’t there something about it in the Inquirer?
这上面有她的照片 询问报呢?
Because we’re running a newspaper… Joseph,
因为我们是在办报纸… 约瑟夫
I’m absolutely starving to death. not a scandal sheet.
我真的饿坏了 不是在搞低级的新闻纸
That’s all right.
我实在受不了了
Mr. Carter, here is a three-column headline in the Chronicle.
卡特先生 你看 记事报上有三行标题
Why hasn’t the Inquirer a three-column headline?
为什么询问报没有?
The news wasn’t big enough.
因为不是大新闻
Uh-huh, Mr. Carter,
等一下 卡特先生
if the headline is big enough, it makes the news big enough.
若是标题行够大 就制♥造♥一些大新闻
That’s right, Mr. Kane! The murder of Mrs. Harry Silverstone…
没错 肯恩先生 关于这位史东太太的谋杀案…
There’s no proof that woman was murdered,
没有证据说她被谋杀了
or even she’s dead.
甚至也不能说她死了
It says she’s missing. The neighbors are getting suspicious.
她失踪的当天 邻居们就开始怀疑
It’s not our function to report the gossip of housewives.
我们的责任不是用来报导三姑六婆的闲言闲语
If we were interested in that kind of thing, Mr. Kane.
若是你对那些事感兴趣
we could fill the paper twice over, daily.
我们一天可以出刊两次
Mr. Carter.
卡特先生
That’s the kind of thing we are going to be interested in from now on.
现在起我的兴趣将转向于此
I want you to send your best man…
我要你指派最好的人手…
to see Mr. Silverstone in Brooklyn.
去布鲁克林找史东先生
Have him tell Mr. Silverstone,
并且告诉史东先生
if he doesn’t produce his wife, Mrs. Silverstone at once…
若是不能立刻见到史东太太…
the Inquirer will have him arrested. Wha…?
询问报将逮捕他 什…?
And tell Mr. Silverstone he’s a detective from, uh….
并且告诉他我是警探….
Central Office. The Central Office.
从总局派来的 总局来的
If Mr. Silverstone gets suspicious and asks to see your man’s badge…
若史东先生有所怀疑 要求要看警徽…
your man is to get indignant,
你的手下应该大发雷霆
and call Mr. Silverstone an anarchist.
并且大骂史东先生是目无法纪
Loudly, so the neighbors can hear.
叫大声一点使邻居们能听见
Really, Mr. Kane? You ready for dinner, Jedediah?
肯恩先生 杰克 你准备好吃晚饭了吗?
I can’t see that the function of a respectable newspaper…
我不认为 报社的功能在于…
Mr. Carter, you’re the most understanding…
卡特先生 你马上就会懂了…
Thank you so much, Mr. Carter. And, Goodbye.
感激不尽 卡特先生 再见
Goodbye.
再见
Paper! Read all about it!
快报 号♥外
Read all about it in the early morning Chronicle.
号♥外 先生
The mystery of the lady that vanished in Brooklyn.
有人在布鲁克林失踪 八成是被谋杀了
Read all about it in the early morning Chronicle.
来看一看号♥外 早晨发行的记事报
We’ll be on the street soon, Charlie, another 10 minutes.
马上就七点钟了 大概再十分钟
Three hours and 50 minutes late, but we did it.
晚了三个钟头五十分 总算完成了
Tired? A tough day.
累了吗? 艰苦的一天
A wasted day. Wasted?
浪费了一天 浪费?
You only made the paper over four times tonight, that’s all.
你只不过一晚上 把这张纸改了四次
I’ve changed the front page a little, Mr. Bernstein. That’s not enough.
光是修改头版版面 那还是不够的
No, there’s something I’ve got to get into this paper,
我要这份报纸不仅仅是一堆
besides pictures and print.
图片和文字
I’ve got to make the New York Inquirer as important to New York…
我要把纽约询问报变成…
as the gas in that light.
和瓦斯灯光一样不可或缺
What are you going to do, Charlie?
你想怎么做 查理?
Declaration of Principles.
原则宣言
Don’t smile, Jedediah.
别笑
I’ve got it all written out here. Declaration of Principles.
都写好了 原则宣言
You don’t want to make any promises, Mr. Kane, you don’t want to keep.
你不是要做出办不到的承诺吧
These’ll be kept.
你先听听看
“I’ll provide the people of this city…
我提供本市的市民们…
“with a daily paper that will tell all the news honestly.
一份报导事情的报纸
“I will also provide…”
我也要提供…
That’s two sentences you starting with “I.”
这是你提供保证的第二个句子
People will know who’s responsible…
人们该明白是谁在负责…
and they’ll get the truth in the Inquirer,
询问报所获致的消息
quickly, simply and entertainingly.
必须迅速 简洁 娱乐性高
No special interests will be allowed to interfere with that truth.
而且不允许特殊利益介入
“I will also provide them,
我也将提供读者们消息
with a fighting and tireless champion of their rights as citizens…
拥护他们身为公民的权利…
“and as human beings.”
以及身为人类为奋斗的尊严
Signed:
签名
“Charles Foster Kane.”
查理·佛斯特·肯恩
Can I have that, Charlie? I’m going to print it.
然后呢? 查理 我要把它刊出来
Solly! Solly.
索利 索利
Yes, Mr. Kane?
肯恩先生
Here’s a editorial, Solly, I want you to run this in a box on the front page.
请拿给编辑 叫他登在头版
This morning’s front page, Mr. Kane?
今早的头版吗?
That’s right, Solly, that means we’ll have to remake again, doesn’t it, Solly?
没错 所以你们又得重头再来
Yes. You’d better go down and tell them.
是的 赶快下去告诉他们
All right. Sally.
好的 索利
When you’re through with that, I’d like to have it back.
你弄完之后 我想收回来
I’d like to keep that particular piece of paper myself.
我想保存这张特殊的纸
I have a hunch it might turn out to be something pretty important.
我有个预感 这会是个重要的转机
A document… Sure.
一份记录… 当然
like the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution
好比是宪法的独♥立♥宣言…
and my first report card at school.
和我学校的第一张成绩单
I know you’re tired, gentlemen,
我知道你们累了
but I brought you here for a reason.
但我带你们来这儿是有目的的
I think this little pilgrimage will do us good.
我认为来此朝拜一下会有好处
The Chronicle’s a good newspaper.
记事报是份好报纸
Chronicle’s a good idea for a newspaper. Notice the circulation.
记事报是报纸的典范 注意他们的发行量
495,000. But look who’s working for the Chronicle.
四十九万五千份 但是你看记事报里面的人马
With them, it’s no trick to get circulation.
有了这票人 难怪发行量这么高
You’re right, Mr. Bernstein.
你说的对 柏恩斯汀
You know how long it took the Chronicle to get that staff together?
你知道他们花了多久 才凑齐这些人材?
Twenty years. Twenty years, Really?
廿年 廿年 真的吗?
Six years ago, I looked at a picture,
六年前 我看见一张照片
of the world’s greatest newspaper men.
里面是世界最伟大报纸的人材
I felt like a kid in front of a candy store.
我就像个糖果店外面的小孩
Tonight, six years later, I got my candy, all of it.
而今晚 六年之后 我拿到了糖果 一网打尽
Welcome, gentlemen, to the Inquirer. That’s all.
欢迎各位来到询问报 好了
Make an extra copy of that picture and mail it to the Chronicle.
把那幅底片洗一张 寄给记事报
It’ll make you all happy to learn that our circulation this morning…
你们大家一定都会感到兴奋 今早我们的发行量是纽约第一…
was the greatest in New York: 684,000.
高达六十八万四千份
684,132.
六十八万四千一百三十二份
Right.
没错
I hope you’ll forgive my rudeness in taking leave of you.
在这同时 请各位原谅 我得暂时离开各位
I’m going abroad next week for a vacation.
我下周要出国渡假
I’ve promised my doctor for sometime that I would leave when I could.
我已经答应我的医生 我该找个时间放松一下
I now realize I can’t.
现在终于实现了
Say, Mr. Kane, as long as you’re promising…
嘿 肯恩先生 说到你的诺言…
there’s a lot of pictures and statues in Europe you haven’t bought yet.
欧洲有很多的名画雕像 你还没买♥♥下来呢
You can’t blame me, Mr. Bernstein.
这不能怪我 柏先生
They’ve been making statues for 2,000 years.
这些雕像已经造了两千年了
And I’ve only been buying for five.
我才开始买♥♥了五年而已
Promise me, Mr. Kane. I promise, Mr. Bernstein.
答应我 我答应你
Thank you. Mr. Bernstein? Yes?
谢谢 柏恩斯先生 在

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!