And we shall seek your advice.
听我的忠告
This depression is temporary.
这次萧条是暂时的
There’s always the chance that you’ll die richer than I will.
你就有机会在去世的时候比我还富有
It’s a cinch I’ll die richer than I was born.
至少比我出生时富有多了
We never lost as much as we made.
我们虽然亏损但还不算太坏
Yes, yes, but your methods.
是啊 你们有办法
You know, Charles…
查理 你知道…
you never made a single investment.
不要只投资一种生意
You always used money to….
要运用你的钱去…
To buy things.
去买♥♥东西
To buy things.
买♥♥东西
My mother should have chosen a less reliable banker.
我妈不必挑个这么可靠的银行家
Well.
好了
I always gagged on that silver spoon.
我含着银汤匙有口难言
You know, Mr. Bernstein…
你知道吗 柏先生…
if I hadn’t been very rich…
若是我真的很有钱…
l might have been a really great man.
我会成为一个伟大的人物
Don’t you think you are?
你不认为你自己是吗?
I think I did pretty well under the circumstances.
我在这种情况下已经算很好了
What would you like to have been?
你想做个怎样的人呢?
Everything you hate.
只要使你痛恨就好
Oh…. I beg your pardon, sir? What did you say?
哦… 请问有什么事吗? 先生 你刚说什么?
It’s 4:30.
已经四点半了
Isn’t it, Jennings? Yes, ma’am.
对不对 詹 是的 夫人
You have enjoyed a very rare privilege, young man.
你已享有少见的特权 年轻人
Did you find what you were looking for? No.
你找到你要的东西吗? 没有
You’re not Rosebud, are you? What?
妳不是’玫瑰花蕾’吧? 什么?
Rosebud,
玫瑰花蕾
and your name is Jennings, isn’t it?
你叫詹宁斯对吧
Yes, sir… Goodbye, everybody. Thanks for the use of the hall.
是的… 大家再见了 谢谢你们
Who’s a busy man, me?
谁是大忙人 我吗?
I’m chairman of the board. I got nothing but time.
我是董事长 有的是时间
What do you want to know?
你想问什么?
Well, Mr. Bernstein, we thought maybe….
柏恩斯汀先生 我想…
If we could find out what he meant by his last words…
我想知道肯恩先生临终时…
as he was dying. That “Rosebud”?
他说的最后一个字 你是说’玫瑰花蕾’?
Maybe some girl?
或许是某个女孩?
There were a lot of them in the early days.
在他的早年倒是有不少
It’s hardly likely Mr. Bernstein…
看来似乎不大可能…
that Mr. Kane could have met some girl casually…
肯恩先生偶而遇见一位女孩…
and then 50 years later, on his deathbed…
五十年后快死了突然想起来…
Well, you’re pretty young, Mr. Thompson.
你还太年轻 汤生先生
A fellow will remember a lot of things,
一个人会记得许多你不认为
you wouldn’t think he’d remember.
他会记得的事
You take me.
拿我来说
One day, back in 1♥8♥9♥6,
一八♥九♥六年某一天
I was crossing over to Jersey on the ferry
我乘渡轮到纽泽西去…
and as we pulled out, there was another ferry pulling in…
我们的船开出后 另一艘开进来…
and on it there was a girl waiting to get off.
那艘船上有位女士等着下船
A white dress she had on.
身上穿着白色洋装
She was carrying a white parasol.
手上撑着白色阳伞
I only saw her for one second.
我只瞧见她一秒钟
She didn’t see me at all,
她根本没看见我
but I’ll bet a month hasn’t gone by since…
之后大约有一个月的时间…
that I haven’t thought of that girl.
我魂不守舍
Who else have you been to see?
你还会去见其他人吗?
Well, I went down to Atlantic City.
我要去亚特兰大城
Susie?
找苏珊吗?
Thank you.
谢谢
I called her myself the day after he died.
在他去世后一天 我亲自打电♥话♥给她
I thought maybe somebody ought to.
我想总该有人如此做
She couldn’t even come to the phone.
她差点连接个电♥话♥都不行
I’m going down to see her again in a couple of days.
这几天我还会去找她
About Rosebud, Mr. Bernstein.
问有关玫瑰花蕾的事
If you’d talk about anything,
你可不可尽量谈谈
connected with Mr. Kane that you can remember.
有关肯恩的事 就你记忆所及
After all you were with him from the beginning.
打从你一开始跟着他
From before the beginning, young fellow.
在开始之前 小伙子
And now it’s after the end.
现在 是结束之后
Have you tried to see anybody except Susie?
你见过苏珊之外的其他人吗?
I haven’t seen anybody else,
我还没见过别的人
but I’ve been through that stuff of Walter Thatcher’s, that journal of his.
我去翻过柴契尔先生的日记
Thatcher, that man was the biggest fool I ever met.
柴契尔 那小子是我见过的第一号♥大笨蛋
He made an awful lot of money.
他赚了不少钱
Well, it’s no trick to make a lot of money…
要赚大钱没什么秘决…
if all you want…
你只要一心一意…
is to make a lot of money.
去赚大钱
You take Mr. Kane.
拿肯恩先生来说
It wasn’t money he wanted.
他想要的不是钱
Thatcher never did figure him out.
柴契尔一直搞不懂他
Sometimes even I couldn’t.
有时候甚至我也不懂
You know who you ought to see?
你知道你该去找谁吗?
Mr. Leland.
李兰先生
He was Mr. Kane’s closest friend. They went to school together.
他是肯恩最亲密的朋友 他们上过同一所学校
Harvard, doesn’t it?
哈佛吗?
Oh, Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Cornell, Switzerland.
哈佛 耶鲁 普林斯顿 康乃尔 瑞士的大学
He was thrown out of a lot of colleges.
他被一票的大学踢出校门
Mr. Leland never had a nickel.
李兰当时一贫如洗
One of those families where the father is worth $10 million…
就是那种家财万贯…
then one day he shoots himself,
老爸却突然举枪自杀
and it turns out there’s nothing but debts.
留下一屁♥股♥债务的倒霉鬼
He was with Mr. Kane and me…
他当时和我跟肯恩三个人…
the first day Mr. Kane took over the Inquirer.
也就是肯恩接收询问报的第一天
Take a good look at it, Jedediah.
看起来不怎么样
It’s going to look a lot different one of these days.
过一阵子就会改头换面
Come on.
走吧
There ain’t no bedrooms in this joint. That’s a newspaper building.
这栋建筑物里没有卧室 这是家报社
You’re getting paid, mister, for opinions or for hauling? Ugh.
你只管运东西 反正我会付钱的 啊
Jedediah. After you, Mr. Kane.
可以了吗? 你先走 肯恩先生
Excuse me, sir, but I….
打扰一下 我是…
Welcome, Mr. Kane.
欢迎你 肯恩先生
Welcome.
欢迎
Welcome to the Inquirer, Mr. Kane.
欢迎来到询问报
I am Herbert Carter, the editor-in-chief.
我是赫伯·卡特 本报主编
Thank you, Mr. Carter. This is Mr. Leland…
谢谢你卡特先生 但…但是李兰先生…
How do you do, Mr. Leland?
你好 李兰先生
Our new dramatic critic. I hope I haven’t made a mistake, Jedediah.
真是新潮的礼节 希望是我弄错了
It is dramatic critic you want to be, do you? You know that’s right.
你正是希望如此多礼 你很清楚
Are they standing for me? You? Oh, Mr. Kane.
他们为我起立吗? 你? 哦 肯恩是你
Standing?
起立?
How do you do? How do you do?
你好 你也好
I thought it would be a nice little gesture.
我认为这是应该的
Ask them to sit down, will you, please. The new publisher.
叫他们坐下 你是新的老板吗?
You may resume your duties, gentlemen. Thank you.
你们大家继续工作 谢谢
I didn’t know your plans. So I… I don’t know my plans myself.
我不知道你的计划所以就… 我不知道我的计划
[SPEAKING INDISTINCTLY]
或许我能事先准备一下
Matter of fact, I haven’t got any plans. No?
事实上 我根本没有计划 没有?
Except to get out a newspaper.
不知道报社是什么样子
Whoops. Mr. Bernstein.
哎呀 柏恩斯汀先生
Yes, Mr. Kane.
是的 肯恩先生
Mr. Carter, this is Mr. Bernstein.
卡特先生 这位是柏恩斯汀
Mr. Bernstein is my general manager, Mr. Carter. How do you do?
他是我的总管 你好
Gentlemen? How do you do, Mr. Carter?
各位 你好 卡特先生
Mr. Carter? Yes?
卡特先生 马上来
Mr. Carter. How do you do?
卡特先生 你好
Mr. Carter? Yes, how do you do?
卡特先生? 是的 你好
Mr. Carter? Yes, Mr. Bernstein.
卡特? 是的 柏恩斯汀先生
Kane. Mr. Carter, is this your office, Mr. Carter?
史汀肯恩 卡特 这是你的办公室吗?
My little private sanctum is at your disposal.
我的私人处所 可任由你处置
Excuse me. But I don’t think I understand.
借过 但我不明白

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!