In case you’d like to know Mr. Bernstein…
若是你想知道 柏先生…
he’s at the Huntington Memorial Hospital on 180th Street.
他人在180街的汉庭顿疗养院
You don’t say. I had no idea…
难道你以为…
Nothing particular the matter with him, they tell me, just….
他们说其实没什么关系 只是…
Just old age.
老朋友聚会
It’s the only disease, Mr. Thompson,
李兰先生得到的病症
that you don’t look forward to being cured of.
是世界上唯一无药可救的
I can remember absolutely everything, young man.
我所有事情都记的一清二楚 小伙子
That’s my curse.
那就是我的诅咒
That’s one of the greatest curses ever inflicted on the human race: memory.
那是人类受到最大的诅咒 我的回忆
I was his oldest friend,
我是他最老的朋友
and as far as I was concerned, he behaved like a swine.
却被变成一个恶棍
Not that Charlie was ever brutal. He just did brutal things.
查理做人从不凶残 他只是干了些凶残的事情
Maybe I wasn’t his friend,
或许我不是他的朋友
but if I wasn’t, he never had one.
但若我都不算 他就根本没有朋友了
Maybe I was what you nowadays call a stooge.
或许我就是你今天说的
Mr. Leland, you were about to say something about Rosebud.
管家 李兰先生 请你谈谈玫瑰花蕾
Do you happen to have a good cigar?
你能不能给我一根好抽的雪茄
I’ve got a young physician here who thinks I’m going to give up smoking.
这里有些年轻医生 他们不让我抽烟
No, I’m afraid I haven’t. Sorry. Oh, oh. Ha, ha.
抱歉 我没有 哦哦 哈哈
I changed the subject, didn’t I?
我改变了话题 对吗?
What a disagreeable old man I have become.
看看我自己 变成一个糟老头子
You’re a reporter and you want to know what I think about Charlie Kane.
你是个记者 你想知道我对肯恩的看法
Well…. Heh.
好….嗯
I suppose he had some private sort of greatness.
我认为他私下有些伟大之处
But he kept it to himself.
但却保留给他自己
He never gave himself away. He never gave anything away.
他从来不泄露他自己的内心 他什么都不透露
He just left you a tip.
只有一些凤毛麟爪
Hmm? Heh. He had a generous mind.
他有副慷慨的心肠
I don’t suppose anybody ever had so many opinions.
我没见过一个人有那么多意见
But he never believed in anything except Charlie Kane.
但除了自己他什么也不相信
He never had a conviction except Charlie Kane in his life.
除了查理·肯恩 他一生没有别的信念
I suppose he died without one.
我想他临死前还是如此
That must have been pretty unpleasant.
事在不怎么愉快
Of course,
虽然
a lot of us check out without having any special convictions about death.
我们对死亡做了一大堆研究
But we do know what we’re leaving.
却没有一个确定的说法 我们只知道活着
We do believe in something.
然后还相信某些事情
Are you absolutely sure you haven’t got a cigar?
你真的确定你没带雪茄吗?
Sorry, Mr. Leland. Never mind.
抱歉 李兰先生 不要紧
Mr. Leland, what do you know about Rosebud? “Rosebud”?
李兰先生 你对玫瑰花蕾有何了解 玫瑰花蕾
Oh. Oh. His dying words: “Rosebud.”
对了 他的遗言 玫瑰花蕾
Yeah, I saw that in the Inquirer.
我在询问报上看到过
I never believed anything I saw in the Inquirer.
我从来不相信询问报
Anything else?
还有别的事吗?
I can tell you about Emily.
我可以告诉你艾蜜莉的事
I went to dancing school with Emily.
我曾和她一起去舞蹈学校
I was very graceful.
我当时风度佳
We were talking about the first Mrs. Kane. What was she like?
我说的是肯恩第一任夫人 她人怎样?
She was like all the girls I knew in dancing school.
她就像学校里其他女孩一样
Very nice girl. Very nice… Emily was a little nicer.
非常好的女孩 人很好… 但她比别人好一点
Well, after the first couple of months…
婚后的前几个月…
she and Charlie didn’t see much of each other except at breakfast.
除了早餐之外 他们彼此很少见面
It was a marriage just like any other marriage.
就和大部份的婚姻一样
Charles. You’re beautiful. I can’t be.
查理 妳真美 我没有啦
Yes, you are. You’re very beautiful.
说真的 妳真的十分美丽
I’ve never been to six parties in one night before. You’re extremly beautiful.
我从未如此快乐过整晚 美极了
I’ve never been up this late. It’s a matter of habit.
我根本睡不着 怎么回事
What will the servants think? They’ll think we enjoyed ourselves.
我俩做的事情 我认为很愉快 亲爱的
Yeah. Didn’t we?
对 不是吗?
I don’t see why you have to go straight off to the newspaper?
我不知道你为什么马上就去报社?
You never should’ve married a newspaperman, they’re worse than sailors.
妳不该嫁给报人 他们比水手还惨
I absolutely adore you.
我全心仰慕你
Charles, even newspapermen have to sleep.
即使是报人也必须睡觉
I’ll call Mr. Bernstein
我会打电♥话♥给柏恩斯汀
and have him put off my appointments till noon.
叫他将我的约定改到中午
What time is it?
现在几点?
I don’t know. It’s late.
不知道 很晚了
It’s early.
还早得很
Charles….
查理…
Do you know how long you kept me waiting last night…
昨天晚上你说去报社十分钟…
when you went to the newspaper for 10 minutes?
你不知道让我苦等了多久?
What do you do in a newspaper in the middle of the night?
你三更半夜到报社干嘛?
Emily, my dear, your only correspondent is the Inquirer.
艾蜜莉 亲爱的 你只不过是询问报的通讯员
Sometimes I think I’d prefer a rival of flesh and blood.
有时候我觉得对不起我的亲戚
Oh, Emily, I don’t spend that much time on the newspaper.
哦 我没在报社待那么久
It isn’t just the time.
不只是时间的问题
It’s what you print, attacking the President.
而是你的报纸攻击总统
You mean Uncle John. I mean the president of the United States.
妳指约翰叔叔 我是指美国总统
He’s still Uncle John and a wellmeaning fathead… Charles.
他仍然是约翰叔叔 他仍然是脑满肠肥… 查理
who’s letting a pack of high-pressure crooks run his administration.
对他的属下趾高气昂
This whole oil scandal
这个坏蛋…
He happens to be the President, Charles, not you.
美国的总统却是他 而不是你
That’s a mistake that will be corrected one of these days.
这个错误不久将会获得更正的
Your Mr. Bernstein sent Junior the most incredible atrocity yesterday, Charles.
昨天柏恩斯汀把我们的小孩 委托给育幼院照顾
I simply can’t have it in the nursery.
我真不忍♥心放他在育幼院
Mr. Bernstein is apt to pay a visit to the nursery now and then.
柏恩斯汀偶尔会去看他的
Does he have to?
有必要这样吗?
Yes.
是的
Really, Charles, people will think…
说真的 查理 人们会想…
What I tell them to think.
我来教他们怎么想
Wasn’t he ever in love with her?
他可曾爱过她
He married for love.
他为爱而娶她
Love.

That is why he did everything.
是他一切的目的
That’s why he went into politics. It seems we weren’t enough.
也是他踏入政坛的目的 就和恋爱一样
He wanted all the voters to love him, too.
他希望所有的选民都爱他
As all he really wanted out of life was love.
他一生中追求的就是这个
That’s Charlie’s story. How he lost it.
这就是查理的恋爱失败史
You see, he just didn’t have any to give.
一直到最后失去了所有
He loved Charlie Kane, of course.
当然他很爱他自己
Very dearly.
爱的很深
And his mother, I guess he always loved her.
我想他也爱他的母亲
How about his second wife? Susan Alexander?
他第二任太太如何? 苏珊·亚历山大吗?
You know what Charlie called her?
你知道查理怎样说她吗?
The day after he’d met her, he told me about her.
他结婚之后告诉我的
He said she was “a cross-section of the American public.”
他说她是美国大众的缩影
I guess he couldn’t help it. She must have had something for him.
不过那也没用 她拥有的还不够
That first night, according to Charlie…
那一夜 据查理说…
all she had was a toothache.
就是由于她的牙痛
What are you laughing at, young lady?
妳在笑什么 女士?
Ooh.

What’s the matter with you, young lady? Toothache.
妳怎么了 女士 我的牙齿在痛
What? Toothache.
什么? 我牙痛
Toothache?
牙痛吗?
Oh. Oh.
哦 哦
You mean you’ve got a toothache.
妳是说妳牙痛
What’s funny about that? You’re funny, mister.
有什么好笑的? 妳很好笑
You’ve got dirt on your face. Not dirt, it’s mud.
你的脸上有脏东西 是泥巴
Do you want some hot water? I live right here.
你要点热水吗? 我就住这里
What’s that, young lady?
妳说什么?
I said, if you wanted some hot water…
我问你要不要热水…
I could get you some…
我可以给你一点…
hot water.
热水
All right, thank you very much.
好吧 感激不尽
Do I look any better now?
好一点了吗?
This medicine doesn’t do a bit of good.
没有办法能让我好一点
What you need is to get your mind off it.
妳最好设法把它忘掉
Hey.

Excuse me, but my landlady prefers me to keep this door open…
很抱歉 但我的房♥东有交代 我必须将房♥门打开…

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!