You don’t care about anything except you.
你只关心你自己
You just wanna persuade people that you love them so much,
你只是让人们以为你爱他们
that they ought to love you back.
然后他们就会爱你
Only you want love on your own terms.
你只想依照自己的方式去爱
It’s something to be played your way, according to your rules.
照你的条件 依你的规则
Charlie, I want you to let me work on the Chicago paper. What?
我想叫你让我去芝加哥工作 什么?
Well, you said yourself you were looking for someone to do dramatic “crimitism,”
你自己说你在物色剧评的人选
criticism.
剧评
I am drunk.
我真的醉了
I want to go to Chicago.
我想去芝加哥
You’re too valuable here.
你在此地太重要了
There’s nothing left for me to do but ask…
我在此无事可做除了…
All right, you can go to Chicago.
好吧 你可以去芝加哥
Thank you.
谢谢
I guess I’d better try to get drunk anyway.
我想试试喝醉
I warn you, Jedediah, you’re not going to like Chicago.
我先警告你 你不会喜欢芝加哥
The wind comes off the lake,
湖面上北风呼过
and they’ve probably never heard of Lobster Newburg.
他们八成连纽堡龙虾都没听过
Will Saturday after next be all right?
星期六下午可以吗?
Anytime you say. Thank you.
随便你 谢了
Toast, Jedediah, to love on my terms.
向我爱的条件干杯
Those are the only terms anybody knows:
没人知道这条件是什么
His own.
肯恩娶了歌♥星
Mr. Kane, I’m from the Inquirer.
嘿 肯恩先生 我是询问报的
What’s that, young man? Are you through with politics?
什么事 小伙子? 你的政♥治♥生涯完蛋了吗?
Am I through with politics? I should say vice versa.
我的政♥治♥生涯完了吗? 正好相反
We’re going to be a great opera star.
我们要当歌♥剧大明星
Are you singing at the Metropolitan, Mrs. Kane?
妳将在大都会歌♥剧院献唱吗?
We certainly are.
当然
Charlie said if I didn’t, he’d build me an opera house.
查理说要替我盖一间歌♥剧院
That won’t be necessary.
那倒是没必要
No, no, no!
不对 不对 不对
Ms. Alexander.
亚历山大小姐
No, no…
不对 不对…
Places, everybody!
就绪 各位
Places, please!
请就绪
Mr. Leland is writing it from the dramatic angle? Yes.
李兰负责戏剧评论吗? 是的
And we’ve covered it from the news end.
我们负责新闻部份
Naturally. And the social.
自然 而且社会性的
How about the music notice?
音乐短评呢
Yes, it’s already made up.
我们都做好了
Mr. Mowan wrote a swell review.
李兰先生你做得很好
Enthusiastic? Yes, sir.
很热衷吗? 是的
Naturally. Mr. Bernstein
自然 柏恩斯汀
Mr. Kane. Hello, Mr. Kane.
肯恩先生 哈罗 肯恩先生
Mr. Kane. This is a surprise.
没想到你会来
We’ve got two spreads of pictures.
我们登了两则照片
The music notice on the front page? Yes, Mr. Kane.
音乐评论在头版吗? 可以
But there’s still one notice to come. The dramatic.
还有一则评论没到 戏剧部份
The dramatic notice.
戏剧评论吗?
Mr. Bernstein, that’s Mr. Leland, isn’t it?
柏先生 那是李兰的工作吧?
Yes, Mr. Kane, we’re waiting for it.
是的 肯先生 我们在等他
Where is he? Right in there, Mr. Kane.
他人呢? 就在里面
Mr. Kane….
肯恩先生…
Mr. Kane….
肯恩先生….
Mr. Leland and Mr. Kane…
李兰先生和肯恩先生…
haven’t spoken together for years.
已经好几年没说话了
You don’t suppose… There’s nothing to suppose.
你不会认为… 没什么好认为的
Excuse me.
失陪
Close the door.
关门
He ain’t been drinking before, Mr. Kane.
他以前从未喝过酒
Never. We would have heard.
从未
What does it say there?
他说什么?
The notice, what’s he written?
短评 他怎么写的?
“Miss Susan Alexander, a pretty,
这位苏珊·亚历山大是一个虚有其表
but hopelessly incompetent amateur
但出头无望 才能平庸的外行人…
last night opened the new Chicago Opera House…
昨天晚上在新落成的芝加哥剧院…
in a performance of….”
上演的…
I still can’t pronounce that name.
我还是不大会念这个名字
“Her singing, happily, is no concern of this department.
她的歌♥声显然于此角色无关
Of her acting, it is absolutely impossible to….”
而她的表演简直不可能…
Go on.
继续
Go on. That’s all there is.
继续 就这么多
“Of her acting it is absolutely impossible to say anything except…
对她的表演简直不可能再说什么…
that, in the opinion of this reviewer, it represents a new low.”
除非评论家本身的品味 达到了更低俗的水准
Do you get that, Mr. Bernsein? In the opinion of this reviewer.
你懂吗? 这位评论家的意见
I didn’t see that.
我没看到
It isn’t here, Mr. Bernstein, I’m dictating it.
这里该是我在指挥吧
Mr. Kane, I… Get me a typewriter.
肯恩先生 我… 把打字机给我
I’m going to finish Mr. Leland’s notice.
我来把他的短评写完
Hello, Bernstein.
柏恩斯汀
Hello. Hello, Mr. Leland.
哈罗 哈罗 李兰先生
Where’s my notice, Bernstein? I’ve got to finish my notice.
我的短评呢? 我得把它写完
Mr. Kane is finishing it for you. Charlie?
肯恩先生正在替你做完 查理吗?
Charlie?
查理?
Charlie out there?
查理在那里?
I guess he’s fixing it up.
我想他会弄好的
I knew I’d never get that through.
我就知道我办不到
Mr. Kane’s finishing your review just the way you started it.
肯恩先生替你写完这篇短评 用你的开头
He’s writing a bad notice like you wanted it to be.
他在做一篇恶评 正如你希望的一样
I guess that’ll show you.
我想那说明的很清楚了
Hello, Jedediah.
哈罗 杰克小子
Hello, Charlie.
哈罗 查理
I didn’t know we were speaking.
我们居然讲话了
Sure we’re speaking, Jedediah.
我们当然在讲话
You’re fired.
你被解雇了
Everybody knows that story, Mr. Leland, but why did he do it?
大家都知道这件事 李兰先生 他为何这样做
How could a man write a notice like that… You just don’t know Charlie.
为什么写那种剧评… 你不了解肯恩
He thought that by finishing that notice
他认为这样子结束那篇剧评
he’d show me he was an honest man.
可以表示他是个诚实的人
He was always trying to prove something.
他永远想证明某些事
That whole thing about Susie being an opera singer.
想把苏珊捧成歌♥剧明星
That was trying to prove something.
也是想证明某些事情
You know what the headline was the day before the election?
你知道选举前一天 报上的标题是什么?
Candidate Kane found in love nest with ‘singer.”‘
候选人肯恩在爱巢被捉奸和’女歌♥星’在一起
He was going to take the quotes off the singer.
他一定要把女歌♥星加上括号♥
Hey, nurse!
嘿 护士
Five years ago he wrote from that place down there in the South.
五年前他建造了那座
What’s it called, Shangri-la? El Dorado?
叫什么 香格里拉 黄金园
Sloppy Joe’s? What’s the name of that place?
那个地方叫什么的?
All right, Xanadu, I knew it all the time.
对了 仙纳度 我早就知道了
You caught on, didn’t you?
你懂吧?
I guess maybe I’m not that hard to see through as I think.
我并不像大家想的那么神秘难测
Well, I never even answered his letter.
我甚至不回他写给我的信
Maybe I should have.
或许我应该回信
I guess he was pretty lonely down there in that coliseum all those years.
他独自在竞技场中一定很寂寞
He hadn’t finished it when she left him. He never finished it.
他一直到死后还没建完
He never finished anything except my notice.
他从未做完任何事情 除了我的短评
Of course, he built the joint for her. That must have been love.
他也替她造了那间大杂院 那一定是为了爱
I don’t know.
我怎么知道
He was disappointed in the world,
他对此世界失望
so he built his own, an absolute monarchy.
所以就造一个自己的世界 自己当国王
It was something bigger than an opera house anyway.
只是比歌♥剧院还大而已
Nurse. Yes, Mr. Leland.
护士 在这里
I’m coming.
我马上走
Listen, young fellow, there’s one thing you can do for me here. Sure.
听着 小伙子 请你帮个忙 当然
Stop at the cigar store on your way out,
你出去时在雪茄店停一下
and get me a couple of good cigars.
替我挑几支上等雪茄
Be glad to. Thank you.
乐意效劳 谢谢
One is enough.
一位就够

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!