不是 我的就在这里
No. Mine’s here.
不是…这把不是你的
No. No, it’s not yours.
我想可能是我的
It may be mine, then.
没错 就是我的
Yes. Yes, it is mine.
一定是从口袋的小洞掉出来的
It must have dropped out of the pocket. There’s a small hole there.
这就是这些钥匙的问题 它们长得全都一样
That’s the trouble with these latchkeys, they’re all alike.
先生 抱歉 你在说…
Sorry, sir, you were saying?
我想我没说什么 我有吗?
I don’t think I was, was I?
对了 关于钱的事
Yes, yes. About that money.
如果你告诉我来源 我会很感激的
I’d be grateful if you’d tell me where you got it.
总之 一百英磅在身上不是少数
A hundred pounds is a lot to carry around.
-刚才你说的是六十英磅的 -我有吗?
-You said 60 a moment ago. -Did I?
对了… 我的警佐决定在他写报告前
Oh, yes. Yes, my sergeant decided to dig a little deeper…
要更深入的调查一番
before he put in his report.
他说你还支付了你的裁缝
He said that you also paid a bill at your tailor’s…
以及淡酒和烈酒等帐单
and another for wines and spirits.
我很抱歉为这小事你来找我
I’m sorry he went to that trouble.
我一下子就可以说明白了
Had he come to me, I could have explained it.
我只是赢了一场赛狗而己
I simply won rather a large sum at dog-racing.
-超过一百英磅? -对 超过一百磅
-Over £100? -Yes. Over £100.
从前也赢过 当然
It has been done before, you know.
那你为什么不立刻说呢
Why didn’t you tell me this straightaway?
我去赛狗感到很不好意思
I was ashamed of being caught going to dog-racing…
在我太太被判了死刑的时候
when my wife was under sentence of death.
我知道 这样你会忘记所有烦恼
Yes, I know how it is. It helps take your mind off things.
这样一切都明白了 对吧?
Well, that answers everything, doesn’t it?
我为这事来打扰你很抱歉
I’m sorry to bother you at this time.
探长 一点也没有…
Not at all, inspector. Not at all.
还有另外一件事 先生
There’s just one other thing, sir.
你是不是有一个 蓝色小手提箱?
Have you a small, blue attache case?
-别说你已经找到了 -你弄掉了吗
-You found it already. -Why, have you lost it?
是的 我正想下午去报案呢
Yes. I was going to report it this afternoon.
-我想我是掉在计程车上了 -我明白了
-I think I left it in a taxi. -I see.
我们…得设法把它找回来
We must try and get it back, mustn’t we?
你是在哪搭的计程车呢?
Where did you pick the taxi up, sir?
海德公园的街角 约在半小时前
Hyde Park Corner, about half an hour ago.
-里头有值钱的东西吗 -没有 几本书
-Anything valuable? -No. A few books and…
-有钱在里头吗? -我相信两三英磅吧
-Any money? -Two or three pounds in an envelope.
-不是两三百磅吧 -不 不是的
-Not 200 or 300? -No, I’m afraid not.
-那就无所谓了 -探长
-Just as well. -Tell me, inspector…
你怎么知道手提箱的?
how’d you find out about the attache case?
你去付了帐酒店提到这手提箱
The wine shop said you had it when you paid your bill…
所以 我的警佐就去问你的修车厂
so my sergeant checked on your garage and tailor.
和你的裁缝 他们去记得你有
They remembered you had it when you paid them.
我是用 这手提箱来替代公事包的
Yes, well, I use it instead of a briefcase, you see.
这些计程车司机在归失物上
These taxi men are pretty good at turning things in.
表现是很好的 我会为你找到的
I hope you’ll find it all right, sir.
探长 在你走之前
Inspector, before you go…
我想温先生有件事要告诉你
I think Mr. Wendice has something to tell you.
他有吗?
Oh, has he?
这里有样东西我要给你看 先生
And I’d like to show you something in here, sir.
怪不得你受不了 睡在她的卧室里
No wonder you couldn’t bear to sleep in her bedroom.
这一定超过有五百英磅 先生
There must be over £500 here.
你这些钱是打哪弄来的?
Where did you get it?
我可以告诉你 他为什么弄这钱来
I can tell you why he got it.
这些钱用来付给 一个姓史望的人
This money was to have been paid to Swan…
在他谋杀了温太太之后
after he murdered Mrs. Wendice.
可是 你知道 事情出了意外
But as you know, there was an accident…
所以就不用付钱给史望了
so it wasn’t necessary to pay Swan after all.
总之 他不能存这些钱 而不被传去问话
He couldn’t produce this without questions being asked…
所以他就花掉
so he lived on it.
他从3月27日就开始花用了
He’s been living on it since the 27th of March.
温先生 你怎么说呢?
Well, Mr. Wendice?
探长 在你来之前 他想说动我到警方去
Before you came, he was trying to persuade me…
讲个最精彩你没听过的故事
to go to the police with the most fantastic story you ever heard.
显然的 我贿赂史望 来谋杀我太太 所以…
Apparently, I bribed Swan to murder my wife so that…
马克 要是我说错了 纠正我
Correct me if I go wrong, Mark.
所以我可以继承她所有的钱
So that I could inherit all her money.
还不只是这样呢
And that isn’t all.
你还记得哈利戴先生的信
You remember Mr. Halliday’s letter?
显然的 史望没偷 是我偷的
Well, apparently, Swan didn’t steal it, I did.
而我还写了那两封勒索的便条
And I wrote those two blackmail notes…
并且保留了哈利戴先生的信 然后把它放在死者的身上
and I kept Mr. Halliday’s letter and planted it on the body.
-还有丝♥袜♥… -对了 丝♥袜♥
-And the stocking… -Yes, the stocking.
还是我来说 马克 这听起来才更像是招供呢
I’d better tell this. It sounds more like a confession.
我替换了 这字眼正确吗?
I substituted… Is that the right word?
是的 我用我太太的丝♥袜♥替换了那条…
Yes, I substituted my wife’s other stocking for the one that…
你听懂我的话吧? 还有什么呢? 马克
You do follow me, don’t you? What else, Mark?
他告诉史望 他把钥匙藏在这一带
He told Swan he’d hide his key somewhere out here…
也许在门框上头
probably up on this ledge.
史望就自己开门进来了
Swan let himself in.
他藏身在窗簾后面 然后温地斯从饭店打电♥话♥来
He hid behind the curtains, then Wendice telephoned.
-这就使她… -等一下
-That brought her… -One moment.
如果史望用了温先生的钥匙
If Swan had used Mr. Wendice’s key,
他死时钥匙应该在他身上才对
it would have been on him when he died.
而且 温先生回来时怎么进门呢
Besides, how did Mr. Wendice get in when he returned from the hotel?
反正 她可以开门让他进来
She could have let him in.
而他可以在警♥察♥来之前 从史望口袋里把钥匙拿出来
He could’ve taken his key from Swan’s pocket before you got here.
他是用自己钥匙的 这是在审判时在庭上说的
He let himself in with his own key. That came out in the trial.
-你记得吗? -马克 让你说了
-Don’t you remember? -Come on, Mark. Your move.
史望可能从这里把钥匙拿下来
Swan could have taken the key down from here…
把门打开
unlocked the door…
在他进门之前 把钥匙放回原处
then replaced the key on the ledge before he came in.
好啦 哈利戴先生 很有意思
This is all very interesting, but it isn’t getting me any nearer…
但并不是我来此所要寻找的
to what I came to find out.
这是生死的问题 还有什么呢?
But this is life-and-death. What else matters?
对我来说 温先生钱的来源
What matters to me is where Mr. Wendice got this money.
是我所想要知道的事
That’s all I want to know.
请等一下 先生
Just a moment. Please, sir.
探长 等等 看看这个
Inspector, wait a minute! Look at this.
最后他签的支票是3月26日
The last check he wrote was on the 26th of March.
那就是这一切发生在那天的前一天
That’s the day before this all happened.
我告诉你 从那天起他就花现金了
He’s been living off it since.
-银行… -哈利戴先生
-That’s his bank’s… -Mr. Halliday.
抱歉
Sorry.
他从银行没有提领超过52英磅以上的大笔现款
He hasn’t drawn any large sums from his bank. Nothing over £53.
但 探长 你看
But look, inspector…
事实上 每周都提35英磅 40 45英磅
practically every week, £35, 40, 45, 50.
他可以将它保存起来
He could have saved it up.
当然 我可以用许多年来计划
I could have been planning all this for years.
-那么你那钱是从哪弄来的? -你真的想知道吗?
-Then where did you get it? -Do you really want to know?
-我警告你 你不会喜欢听的 马克 -说呀
-I warn you. You won’t like it, Mark. -Come on.
好吧 这是你自找的
All right, you asked for it.
当她那夜把我从宴会中叫回来
When she called me back from the party that night…
我发现她跪在史望的尸体边 在他的口袋里翻
I found her kneeling beside Swan’s body, going through his pockets.
她不停的说他有属于她的东西 但她找不到那东西
She kept saying he had something of hers, but she couldn’t find it.
她几乎要精神崩溃了 所以我才没有让警方询问她
She was almost hysterical. That’s why I wouldn’t let police question her.
在那情况 她还是满口谎话
In the state she was in, she would have told every lie under the sun.
第二天早上她把钱拿给我看
The next morning, she showed me the money…
就是这些 全是一英磅的钞票
just as it is now, all in £1 notes.
她说 如果有任何事发生在我身上
And she said, “If anything happens to me,
可别让他们发现这些钱
don’t let them find this.”
总之 她被捕之后 我就把手提箱里的钱原封不动的
Well, after she was arrested, I took the money in that case…
拿到车站去存放在寄物处里
to Charing Cross Station and left it in the checkroom.
只要我需要钱的时候 我就拿出来
Whenever I needed money, I took it out…
再存入另一寄物处
and left it in some other checkroom.
我知道如果你们发现她就完了
I knew if you had found it, she wouldn’t stand a chance.
她本来就要把那些钱给他的 但反之她却把他给杀了
You see, she was just about to give it to him when she killed him instead.
你不会盼望谁会相信这些吧?
You don’t expect anyone to believe this, do you?
我实在是不知道 探长 你认为怎样呢?
I have really no idea. What about it, inspector?

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
前一篇文章土拨鼠之日
下一篇文章美国队长
一个人,一本书,一部电影,还是一段音乐 ♪ ♩ ♫ ♬ 在世界的某个角落, 总有什么能触动你的心灵; 在世界的某个角落, 总有和你一样的人。

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!