后窗
朋友 你是否年过40
Men, are you over 40?
早上起床时 是否感到疲惫
When you wake up in the morning,do you feel tired and rundown?
是否无精打彩
Do you have that listless feeling?
-我是杰弗利 -恭喜你 杰夫
– Jefferies. – Congratulations, Jeff.
-为什么 -摆脱石膏呀
– For what? – Getting rid of that cast.
谁说我摆脱了
Who said I was getting rid of it?
今天是星期三
This is Wednesday.
七周前的今天 你摔断了腿 不是吗
Seven weeks from the dayabcyou broke your leg. Yes or no?
乔那森 你这么没记性怎么当上编辑的
Gunnison, how did you get to be such a big editor with such a small memory?
节俭 勤奋 努力工作
Thrift, industry and hard work…
还有抓住出版商的小辨子
and catching the publisherabcwith his secretary.
-我记错日子了吗 -没有
– Did I get the wrong day? – No.
不 是记错了星期
No, wrong week.
我下周三才拆石膏
Next Wednesday I emergeabcfrom this… plaster cocoon.
那太糟了 杰夫 呃
That’s too bad, Jeff.
我猜我不可能每天都走运的
I can’t be lucky every day.
就当我没打电♥话♥吧
Forget I called.
我真替你难过 乔那森
Yeah, I sure feel sorry for you, Gunnison.
我还要戴一整周的石膏 一定让你很难受
Must be rough on you thinking of me wearing this cast another whole week.
是呀 我最好的摄影师没法工作
That one week is gonna cost me my best photographer,
你会错过一次极佳的任务
and you a big assignment.
去哪儿
Where?
-现在说这个没用了
– There’s no point in even talking about it.
-别这样 去哪
– No, come on, where?
克什米尔 今天早上从中情局得来的消息
Kashmir. Got a code tip from the bureau chief this morning.
那地方要开战了
The place is about to go up in smoke.
我早说过要盯着那儿
What did I tell you? Didn’t I tell you that’s the next place to watch?
的确 好吧 我什么时候动身
You did. Okay, when do I leave?
半个小时 一个小时后
Half hour, hour?
-戴着石膏 别做梦了 -别死板了
– With that cast on? You don’t. – Stop sounding stuffy.
我可以在吉普车或水牛背上拍照
I can take pictures from a jeep or a water buffalo.
你对我们杂♥志♥太重要了
You’re too valuable to the magazine for us to play around with.
我会派摩根或兰博特去的
I’ll send Morgan or Lambert.Morgan or Lambert.
摩根和兰博特 好吧
That’s fine.
我为你差点死掉
I get myself half- killed for you,
你却这样报答我
and you reward me by stealing my assignments.
我又没让你站在赛道中间
I didn’t ask you to stand in the middle of that automobile race track.
可你要求图片引人注目
You asked for something dramatically different.
-你得到了 -是的
– You got it. – So did you.
-再见 杰夫 -不 等一下 乔那森
– Good- bye, Jeff. – Now, wait a minute, Gunnison.
让我去吧
You’ve got to get me out of here.
六周时间 坐在这小公♥寓♥里
Six weeks sitting in a two- room apartment…
什么也干不了 只能看着窗外的邻居
with nothing to do but look out the window at the neighbors.
-再见 杰夫 -不 乔那森 我
– Bye, Jeff. – No, Gunnison, I…
如果你不把我从这无聊的沼泽中救出来
If you don’t pull me out of this swamp of boredom,
-我会做出疯狂的事来的 -例如
– I’m gonna do something drastic.abc – Like what?
“例如”例如 我会结婚
“Like what?” I’m gonna get married.
然后我就可以去任务地方了
Then I’ll never be able to go anywhere.
你是该结婚了
It’s about time you got married.
趁你还没变成孤寡老人之前
Before you turn into a lonesome and bitter old man.
是啊 瞧瞧我
Yeah, can’t you just see me?
在闷热的家里
I’m rushing home to a hot apartment…
听着自动洗衣机 洗碗机
to listen to the automatic laundry and the electric dishwasher…
和倒垃圾的声音 还有那些唠叨的妻子
and the garbage disposal and the nagging wife.
杰夫 现在的妻子不再唠叨了 她们只是在讨论
Jeff, wives don’t nag anymore, they discuss.
是吗 是吗
Is that so? Is that so?
在高档住♥宅♥区的可能是吧
Maybe in the high- rent district they discuss.
在我这儿 她们还在唠叨
In my neighborhood, they still nag.
是吗 可能是吧 回头再联♥系♥ 杰夫
Yeah? Well, you know best. Call you later, Jeff.
下次带点好消息来 行吗
Yeah, have some good news the next time, huh?
早安
Good morning.
我说 早安
I said, “Good morning!”
噢 早安
Oh, good morning.
瞧 换了我 就不会挖那么深
I wouldn’t dig so deep if I were you.
你浇的水太多了
You’re giving them far too much water.
你为什么不闭嘴
Why don’t you shut up?
好吧
Well!
我敢肯定
I do declare.
纽约州判偷♥窥♥者汤姆入狱六个月
New York state sentence for a Peeping Tom…
纽约州判偷♥窥♥者汤姆入狱六个月
is six months in the workhouse.
你好 斯泰拉
Oh, hello, Stella.
在监狱里没有窗户
They got no windows in the workhouse.
你知道 要在以前
In the old days,
他们会用烧红的烙铁把你的眼珠挖出来
they used to put your eyes out with a red- hot poker.
为了偷♥窥♥比基尼而挨烙铁
Any of those bikini bombshells you’re always
值得吗
watching worth a red- hot poker?
天啊 我们快变成一群偷♥窥♥狂了
Oh, dear. We’ve become a race of Peeping Toms.
“人们应该离开自己的屋子
What people ought to do is get outside their own house
去外面的世界寻找新的生活”
and look in for a change.
瞧 这朴素的人生观怎么样
Yes, sir. How’s that for a bit of homespun philosophy?
出自读者文摘 1939年4月刊
Reader’s Digest, April 1939.
对 我只引用最精彩的
Well, I only quote from the best. Yeah.
今天不用量体温了
You don’t have to take my temperature this morning.
安静 看你能否达到100度
Quiet. See if you can break 100.
你知道 我本该是个吉普赛预言家
I should have been a gypsy fortune- teller
而不是保险公♥司♥的护士
instead of an insurance company nurse.
我有个能预知灾祸的鼻子
I got a nose for trouble.
可以闻到10英里外的麻烦
Can smell it ten miles away.
你听说29日股票崩♥盘♥了吗
You heard of that market crash in 29?
我预测到了
I predicted that.
你怎么做的 斯泰拉
Just how did you do that, Stella?
简单 我当时在护理通用电气公♥司♥的老板
Oh, simple. I was nursing a director of General Motors.
他们说他得了肾病 要我说是神经病
Kidney ailment,” they said. “Nerves,” I said.
于是我问自己 他为什么要紧张
Then I asked myself, “What’s General Motors got to be nervous about?”
生产过剩 我猜 担心破产
“Overproduction,” I says. Collapse.
如果通用电器的老板每天上十次洗手间
When General Motors has to go to the bathroom ten times a day,
其它的公♥司♥就更不用提了
the whole country’s ready to let go.
斯泰拉 从经济学的角度来看
Stella, in economics, a kidney ailment has no
肾病和股票是扯不上关系的
relationship to the stock market.
风马牛不相及 但股票是跌了
None whatsoever. It crashed, didn’t it?
我在你这公♥寓♥里就闻到了麻烦
Yeah. I can smell trouble right here in this apartment.
先是你摔断了腿
First you smash your leg,
然后又从窗口看你不该看的东西
then you get to looking out the window, see things you shouldn’t see.
麻烦
Trouble.
我可以想像你在法庭上
I can see you in court now surrounded
被一群律师包围着
by a bunch of lawyers in double- breasted suits.
你辩护说
You’re pleading. You say,
“法官大人 那不过是一点毫无恶意的消遣”
“Judge, it was only a bit of innocent fun.
我喜欢我的邻居 像父亲那样喜欢他们
I love my neighbors, like a father.”
法官说 “好吧 祝贺你”
And the judge says, “Well, congratulations.
“你只需在丹诺玛坐三年牢”
You’ve just given birth to three years in Dannemora.”
现在 我就喜欢麻烦
Right now, I’d welcome trouble.
你荷尔蒙分泌不足
You’ve got a hormone deficiency.
只看体温表 你怎么知道
How can you tell from a thermometer?
那些洗澡的美女一个月也没能
Those bathing beauties you’ve been watching haven’t
让你的体温升高一度
raised your temperature one degree.
来吧
Here we go.
还有一周
One more week.
我想你是对的
I think you’re right.
-我想这儿是有点麻烦 -我就知道
– I think there is gonna be trouble around here. – I knew it.
噢 你不能把它先热一下吗
Ooh. Do you ever heat that stuff?
-这是为了刺♥激♥你的血液循环 -我明白了
– Gives your circulation something to fight. – Oh, I see.
-什么麻烦 -丽莎 弗里蒙特
– What kind of trouble? – Lisa Fremont.
开玩笑 她是个美女
You kidding? She’s a beautiful young girl,
而你又是个很健康的男人
and you’re a reasonably healthy young man.
-他希望我娶她 -这很正常
– She expects me to marry her. – That’s normal.
-可我不想 -那可不正常
– I don’t want to. – That’s abnormal.
我只是还没准备好结婚
I’m just not ready for marriage.
每个男人都准备好了 只要有合适的女孩
Every man’s ready for marriage when the right girl comes along.
丽莎是每个男人

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
前一篇文章火车怪客
下一篇文章细节 The Details
一个人,一本书,一部电影,还是一段音乐 ♪ ♩ ♫ ♬ 在世界的某个角落, 总有什么能触动你的心灵; 在世界的某个角落, 总有和你一样的人。

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!