1863年6月,在两年多的血腥战斗之后…
In June 1863, after more than two years of bloody conflict…
…邦联北弗吉尼亚军团在罗伯特•E•李将军指挥下…
…the Confederate army of Northern Virginia, Robert E. Lee commanding…
…跨过波托马克河,准备入侵北方
…slips across the Potomac to begin the invasion of the North.
这支部队一共有士兵7万人
It is an army of 70,000 men.
他们在蓝山后面缓缓前进
They move slowly behind the Blue Ridge…
…藉着丛山峻岭隐藏着他们的行踪
…using the mountains to screen their movements.
他们的目的是,把联邦军引到空旷之地,
Their objective is to draw the Union army out into the open…
…然后一举歼灭
…where it can be destroyed.
六月底,波托马克河的8万联邦军队,
Late in June, the Union army of the Potomac, 80,000 men…
…从弗吉尼亚州北转,抄小路开始大举追击…
…turns north from Virginia to begin the great pursuit up the narrow roads…
…越过马里兰进入宾夕法尼亚
…across Maryland and into Pennsylvania.
李将军知道,南方政♥府♥已备好一封信
General Lee knows that a letter has been prepared by the Southern government.
一封劝降书
A letter which offers peace.
当李将军于华盛顿北部波托马克河某处击溃联邦军队之后
It is to be placed on the desk of Abraham Lincoln, President of the U. S…
…它将会放在美国总统亚伯拉罕•林肯
…the day after Lee has destroyed the Army of the Potomac…
…的办公桌上
…somewhere north of Washington.
1863年6月30日星期二
战争开始后第三个夏天
联邦骑兵,两个旅
Federal cavalry. Two brigades.
南 山
马里兰州与宾夕法尼亚州交界处
我说朋友,你要去哪儿?
Howdy, friend. Where you headed?
朗斯特里特将军,我一定要见他
General Longstreet. I must see him.
是真的吗?
Is that a fact?
我知道李将军的指挥部在这不远的地方
I know General Lee’s headquarters are up here a little ways.
不管他在哪儿,朗斯特里特总是在附近
Wherever he is, Longstreet is nearby.
带我去,十万火急 – 让我跟你说清楚,陌生人
Take me that way. It’s urgent. – Let me put it to you like this.
你没有穿制♥服♥,并且闯入了我们的防线
You’re not in a uniform and you’re coming through my picket line.
我会带你去的,但如果那里没有人认识你
I’ll take you up there, but if nobody there knows you…
我想,很不幸,你会被绞死
…I guess, unfortunately, you’ll have to be hanged.
长官,将军,长官
Sir. General, sir.
很抱歉,原谅我,长官,哈里森回来了
I’m sorry, excuse me, sir, but Harrison is back.
哈里森? – 是的,长官
Harrison? – Yes, sir.
那个侦察员,哈里森,长官
The scout, Harrison, sir.
我想你希望尽快了解情报
I knew you’d want to know that as soon as possible.
他现在就在外面,长官
He’s right outside here, sir.
为您效劳,将军
Your servant, general.
不是很想见到我,对吧?
Didn’t expect to see me, did you?
三个星期以前我给了你金子,你得到了什么情报?
I paid you in gold three weeks ago. What do you got?
我猜你不会拿一支给我
I don’t suppose you got another one of those.
那可是上好的南方烟草
That good southern tobacco.
你到底有什么情报?
What do you got?
我知道北方佬现在的位置他们离这儿只有几英里远
I got the position of the Yankee army. They’re only a few miles down the road.
整个北军都在涌来,足足七个军
The whole Yankee army coming this way. Seven corps.
几英里远?
A few miles?
是的,两个旅的北军骑兵就在那条路上…
Yes. Two brigades of Yankee cavalry down that road about…
2到4小时路程
…two, four hours away.
在他们背后跟着七个军
Behind that there’s seven corps.
我可以在地图上标示出来给你看 大概有8万人
I put it all on a map, if you’d like to see it. About 80,000 men.
一共七个军
All seven corps.
你一点消息都不知道吗?将军
You didn’t know any of that?
看来你真的不知道他们正在移♥动♥
You didn’t know they were on the move.
如果你知道,你就不会把部队拉得这么长
You wouldn’t be spread so thin if you’d known.
你怎么知道我们的行动?
How do you know we’re spread out?
听着,将军,我对这个很在行
Listen, general. I’m good at this business.
长官,请你慎重,如果这个人说的都是真的
Sir, I beg your pardon, but if this man’s story is true…
为什么我们一点儿风声都没听到?
…why haven’t we heard about it?
斯图尔特将军的骑兵就在外♥围♥他应该会报告的
General Stuart’s cavalry is out there. He would have reported.
关于斯图尔特,你知道些什么? – 他的确在外♥围♥
What do you know about Jeb Stuart? – He’s out there all right.
为了让报纸上出现他的名字他正拼了命的向北方挺进
He’s riding up north somewhere getting his name in the papers.
除了引起骚乱,他什么也没干
He hasn’t caused anything but a little fuss.
如果联邦军队行动之快距离之近如你所言…
If the Federal army was moving that fast, as close as you say…
…我不得不相信斯图尔特将军 – 嘿!你看
…I believe General Stuart – Look here.
我带着对北方佬的愤怒来到这里
I came within an angry mule’s kick of the whole Yankee cavalry.
冒着生命危险
And all the way through a picket line.
穿过你们所有的哨所
Hazardous too.
听着,将军,我不知道斯图尔特在干什么
I don’t know what Jeb Stuart’s doing.
我也不在乎,我完成自己的工作
I don’t care. I do my job.
那边的北军骑兵比臭虫还多…
Yankee cavalry’s down the road, thick as fleas…
用不着两小时的急行军就可以到这儿
…not two hours hard ride from this here now spot.
我发誓,千真万确!
And that, by God, is the Lord’s truth.
索雷尔少校 – 到,长官
Major Sorrel. – Yes, sir.
请你立刻到李将军的指挥部报告这件事儿
Will you go to General Lee’s headquarters and notify him about this?
是,长官
Yes, sir.
戈雷上尉 – 到!
Captain Goree. – Yes, sir.
带他去休息
Get this man a tent.
给他一支雪茄
And a cigar.

Sir.
据他所说,担任先锋的是第3军在这里…
He says the lead element is here with the Third Corps…
紧跟着是第6军…
…the Sixth right behind…
由一支骑兵纵队掩护
…supported by a column of Federal cavalry.
一共七个军
Seven corps all together.
第1军和第11军在坦尼镇外♥围♥
The First and Eleventh are above Taneytown.
东边还有一些骑兵,离我们2小时路程
And there’s more cavalry two hours east.
一共有10万人左右
There may be as many as 100,000 altogether.
你相信这人么? 这个哈里森先生?
Do you believe the man, this Mr. Harrison?
没别得选择,你也认识他,长官,那个密西西比的演员?
No choice. You remember him, sir, the actor from Mississippi?
演员?我们按照一个演员给的情报来行动?
An actor? We move on the word of an actor?
没办法的事儿
Can’t afford not to.
也许斯图尔特将军会传情报来
There would be some word from General Stuart.
他不会离开我们独自挺进的
General Stuart would not leave us blind.
哦,还有件事,胡克被免职了
Oh. One other thing. Hooker’s been replaced.
乔治•米德是新的指挥官,哈里森从北方佬的报纸上知道的
George Meade’s the new commander. Harrison read it in the Yankee papers.
乔治•米德,宾夕法尼亚人
George Meade, Pennsylvania man.
我想,米德会比较谨慎的
Meade would be cautious, I think.
让他集结部队需要一些时间
Take him some time to get organized.
也许我们应该立刻行动
Perhaps we should move more swiftly.
这极有可能是一次战机
There may be an opportunity here.
是的,长官
Yes, sir.
不能再耽搁了
No reason to delay.
我想,我们应该在这里集结
I think we should concentrate here.
所有的道路都在这个峡谷的东部汇聚
All the roads converge just east of this gap.
这个交点是战略要地 – 是的
This junction will be necessary. – Yes, sir.
我把好戏留在那儿,这个镇叫什么名字?
I left my spectacles over there. What is the name of this town?
葛底斯堡
Gettysburg.
很好
Very well.
马里兰州尤宁米尔斯附近
离葛底斯堡25英里
给张伯伦上校的消息
Message for Colonel Chamberlain.
上校
Colonel.
上校,亲爱的上校,快醒醒
Colonel, darling. Rise up, me bucko.
抱歉,上校,我们有麻烦了
I’m sorry, darling, but we got a bit of a problem here.
想听吗?
Would you like to hear about it?
快起来,长官
Would you wake up, sir?
有整整一个连将加入我们
We got a whole company coming, sir.
这边,给你点儿时间让你清醒吧,但是我们有大♥麻♥烦了
This way. I’ll give you time to wake up, but we’ve got quite a problem.
一共有120个人来这儿,我们不得不接纳他们
Altogether, 120 men are coming.We’re to be having them as guests.
啥?
What?
就快到了
Should be here any minute.
什么人? – 叛徒
Who? – Mutineers.
叛徒,上校,伙计
Mutineers, colonel, me lad.
120人,都来自被解散的前缅因第2团
A hundred and twenty men from the old Second Maine, which has been disbanded.
120个叛徒?
A hundred and twenty mutineers?
是的,长官
Yes, sir.
你看,现在的情况是前缅因第2团…
You see, what happened was the enlistment papers…
…签的合同到期解散了
…on the old Second Maine run out.
士兵全都被送回了原籍,除了这120个伙计…
They were sent home, all except these 120 fellows…
…他们蠢到签了三年的合同
…who foolishly signed three-year papers.
三年啊!
Three years, that is.
所以这些可怜虫还得再服一年兵役
So these poor fellows got one more year to serve.
不过他们认为自己的合同是和缅因第2团签的…
Only they thought they were signing to fight only with the Second Maine…
…现在既然解散了
…and the Second Maine only.
所以他们…
So they…

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!