…terrified of soldiers. And me lovely young wife has run off with a corporal.
于是我在郊外到处寻找她
And I’m out scouring the countryside for her.
我一副伤心、可怜的模样人们都看不起我…
Sorrowful, pitiful sight I am. People looking down their noses…
…在我背后讪笑
…grinning behind me back.
不断地告诉我我正想知道的东西…
And the whole time telling me exactly what I wanna know…
…关于谁在哪里、有多少人、多久以前
…about who’s where, how many, how long ago.
而他们这样做却是不知不觉的
And them not even knowing they’re doing it.
因为他们只是轻视我
Too busy feeling contemptuous.
将军,很多人是不顾别人感受的你知道么?
There are many people, general, don’t give a damn for a human soul, you know that?
奇怪的是…
Strange thing is…
…扮演这个可怜的农夫一段时间之后,我不禁为他感到难过…
…after playing this poor fool farmer for a while, I can’t help but feel sorry for him…
…因为没有人关心他
…because no one cares.
没有人关心
No one cares.
嗯…
Well…
…我们都有些东西要牺牲的,是吗?
…we all have our sacrifices to make, don’t we?
的确是,长官
Indeed we do, sir.
好啦,哈里森,上马,走
All right, Harrison, on your horse, get going.
还有,哈里森… – 长官?
And, Harrison… – Sir?
…你千万要小心,知道吗?
…you be real careful, you hear?
谢谢,长官
Thank you, sir.
去吧
Go on.
将军,看到你没事儿我很高兴
General, I’m very glad to see you well.
我刚接到给我的命令,长官
I’ve just come by for my orders, sir.
好像是斯图尔特将军回来了
It would appear that General Stuart has returned.
那个迷途的羔羊
The prodigal son.
已经接近成功了,今天下午
It was very close this afternoon.
长官?
Sir?
他们几乎就要被击败了
They nearly broke.
我可以感觉得到
I could feel them breaking.
有那么一刻我以为我们的旗帜已经插在了山顶
There for a moment I thought I saw our flags go up the hill.
没那么接近
It wasn’t that close.
进攻没有协调好,我不知道为什么
The attacks were not properly coordinated. I do not know why.
不过,我们今天差那么一点儿就赢了
And nevertheless, we nearly won the day.
我都可以清楚地看到去华盛顿的每一条路了
I could see a clear road all the way to Washington.
胡德将军怎么样了?
How is it with General Hood?
我想他已经脱离生命危险了,也许会失去一条手臂
I think he’ll live. May lose an arm.
仁慈的主啊
Dear God.
我不能宽恕胡德将军
I couldn’t spare General Hood.
今天我们损失了那么多优秀的战士
So many good men were lost this day.
长官?
Sir?
罗确实拿下了那里的桃园和麦田
Lo did take the peach orchard and wheat field.
但是他没有办法攻下那个山头
But he couldn’t get up that ridge.
还有胡德,夺取了“魔鬼的巢穴”,但他攻不下那座小石山
And Hood, he seized the Devil’s Den, but he couldn’t take the little rocky hill.
高地仍然在联邦军队手中 而且他们得到了增援
The Federals still hold the heights. And they’re reinforced.
将军?
General?
绕到右边的那条路仍然是通畅的
That way around to the right is still open.
我会认真考虑的,将军
I will think on it, general.
我们还有足够的炮兵打一场漂亮的仗,但只能打一场
We have enough artillery for one more good fight, but just one.
我知道
I know.
让我想想
Let me think on it.
将军… – 看到你没事儿我很高兴
General… – I am glad to see you well.
明天早晨我们再谈
We will speak again in the morning.
知道吗,听你谈起猴子和树…
You know, hearing you talk about monkeys and trees…
…让我想起来在半岛上挨炮轰的时日
…I remember the time during a cannonade on the peninsula.
那只有一棵树可以让士兵隐蔽
There was one tree for the men to hide behind.
那是一颗很小的树而士兵们躲在后面…
It was a skinny little tree and the boys, they fell in behind it…
…排起了一条猪尾巴一样细长的队伍
…in a long thin line which moved just like a pigtail.
它摇来晃去的
It swayed to one side, then the other.
一颗炮弹落在这边那条线就摆到那边
A shell came this way, the line swayed that way.
落在那边,又摆回这边
A cannonball came that way, the line swayed this way.
那真是值得一看
It was a thing to see.
乔治,这和我们正在谈论的事有什么关系?
George, what has that got to do with what we’re talking about?
将军
General.
继续,先生们别让我打断了你们的回忆
Carry on, gentlemen. Don’t let me interrupt the revival.
将军,你来得正好
General, you’re just in time.
我正在说服乔治相信先进的,科学的…
I’ve been trying to persuade George here of the modern, scientific…
…查尔斯•达尔文的进化论
…theories of Charles Darwin. The theory of evolution.
是关于人都是从猿进化而来的观点
The notion that all mankind is descended from the ape.
但他根本不相信
He does not subscribe.
是这样吗? – 我不信
That so? – I do not.
我已经明令阿米斯特德将军停止向他的大脑灌输这些亵渎神灵的谬论
I’ve ordered General Armistead to stop filling his head with heathen blasphemies.
现在,你必须把你胡思乱想的时间用来学习…
Now, you are to devote your reflective moments to study…
…军事行动的意义
…in matters of military significance.
命令我
Ordered me.
或者再多喝一些这样的好酒
Or perhaps appropriating some more of this fine whiskey here.
那是一定的
Absolutely.
你要来点儿吗?
Would you care for?
不用了,谢谢
No, thank you.
我敢肯定指挥官将军和我一样对…
Surely the commanding general shares my deep feelings of disgust…
…这个猿类的推断感到厌恶
…at this simian suggestion.
我想有很多非常聪明的人都把达尔文的观点当作信条
I suppose there’s some pretty smart folk that take Darwin for the Gospel.
他们肯定不会被乔治邀请到他“越来越小”的朋友圈中来
They would not be invited to join George’s ever-shrinking circle of friends.
朗斯特里特将军,长官
General Longstreet, sir.
我希望这个问题能够现在就说清楚以后永远都不要再争论了
I intend to lay this matter to rest for once and for all time.
哦,太好了
Good.
先生们,也许你们当中某些人相信…
Sirs, perhaps there are those among you…
…你们是从猿进化而来的
…who think that you are descended from an ape.
我觉得可能你们当中某些人…
I suppose it’s possible there are those of you…
…也相信我是从猿进化来的…
…who believe that I’m descended from an ape…
…但我想相信李将军也是从猿进化而来的…
…but I challenge the man to step forward…
…任何人挑战,请你们走上前来
…who believes that General Lee is descended from an ape.
这里,这里 – 不大可能
Here, here. – Not likely.
乔治,在你火一样的智力和灼热的逻辑面前所有的科学都会颤抖
George, all science trembles before the searing logic of your fiery intellect.
那么,你的亲戚中到底有多少猿呢?
So exactly how many of your relatives are there that are apes?
那好…
Well…
你听到什么关于山姆•胡德的消息了吗?
What do you hear about Sam Hood?
他可能会失去一条手臂
He may lose an arm.
迪克•加尼特也很不好 几乎不能走路
Dick Garnett ain’t fit. Can’t hardly walk.
关键是,如果开始战斗的话他不可能站在那里袖手旁观
Thing is, if there’s a fight, he can’t stand to stay out of it.
但是如果你命令他袖手旁观的话…
But if you ordered him to stay out…
我想你做不到
I don’t suppose you could do that.
那小子唱得不错
That boy can sing.
那是《我亲爱的凯瑟琳》
That’s “Kathleen Mavourneen.”
有汉考克的消息吗?
What do you hear about Hancock?
撞上他了,今天
Ran into him today.
他就在对面大约一英里左右
He’s out there about a mile or so.
只有一英里左右,而且他非常的顽强
Just a mile or so. And he was tough.
非常顽强,今天
Very tough today.
他是他们最好的将军
He’s the best they got.
上帝不会再给他们一个更好的了 一定不会了
God don’t make them any better. And that’s a fact.
那好…
Well…
我真希望能够尽快见到他
I’d like to go over to see him as soon as I can.
上一次见到温…
The last time I saw Winn…
…我们就在弹那首曲子,就是那首
…we played that song. That very song.
回到加利福尼亚我们全都在那聚会,那是最后一次
Back in California, we were all together for the last time.
然后我们就决裂了
Before we broke up.
61年的春天
Spring of ’61.
阿尔迈拉•汉考克
Almira Hancock.
你记得阿尔迈拉吧?汉考克的妻子
Do you remember Almira, Hancock’s wife?
漂亮的女人
Beautiful woman.
我见过的最完美的女人
Most perfect woman I ever saw.
他们是一对完美的夫妻
They were a beautiful couple.
完美
Beautiful.
加尼特和我在一起,那天晚上
Garnett was with me that night.
好多从老部队来的伙计们 大家围着圈唱歌♥…
A lot of fellows from the old outfit. People standing around singing…
…穿着蓝色的制♥服♥
…in the blue uniform.
第二天大家都走了
We were leaving the next day.
一些人去了北边,一些人去了南边
Some going north. Some going south.
分道扬镳
Splitting up.
一个军人的道别
A soldier’s farewell.
“再见,好运”

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!