Only now I was admiring your seascape.
在这呢
There she is.
-皮克斯基尔先生 -早上好 威廉
-Mr Pickersgill. -Good morning, William.
他周围的空气都是沮丧的
He has the air of despondency upon him.
-遭轻视了 -为什么
-He is slighted. -For why?
又被挂在前厅了
Yet again in the anteroom.
他们总是想挂哪里挂哪里的 喝点雪莉酒吧
They hang us where they will, Pickers. Take a guzzle of brown sherry.
这场风暴画得真棒啊 比利
Damn fine storm you have there, Billy.
这是积雨云 比利爵士
Nimbus, Sir Billy, nimbus.
噢 不好意思
Oh, beg your pardon, sir.
-卡罗 -老友
-Carlo the Salamander. -Amico mio.
-要和谐统一 威廉 -像是女士内衣
-Harmony and unity, William -Chemise.
-内衣 -拉低一点
-Chemise? -Lower.
-挺好 -琼斯
-Molto bene. -Jonesy!
-我想让你看看 -什么
-I want you to see…-What?
-还记得吗 -提醒我一下
-Remember? -Remind me.
-比萨 -噢 比萨啊
-Pisa. -Oh, Pisa!
-这部分很不错 加西 -你这么想
-Fine around there, Gussy. -You think so?
是啊
Oh, yeah.
-纳尔逊 -长着两条手臂的呢
-Nelson? -With two arms.
-莱斯利先生 -透纳
-Mr Leslie. -Turner.
那个小女佣 穿着藤黄色礼服的
Little maid, gamboge gown,
左脚的脚背 是全画亮点
left foot instep, touch of highlight.
谢了 透纳
Thank you, Turner.
画作总是会得益于人们的称赞
Paintings always benefit his remarks.
卡鲁 这是你的雕塑吗
Carew! This your man?
就是他了
‘Tis he.
他的鼻孔很漂亮啊 是把 约翰爵士
Sports an elegant nostril, does he not, Sir John?
-鼻孔太完美了 -感谢二位
-Splendid nostrils. -Thank you kindly.
刚才你们说什么
What did you say?
斯托萨先生 我们说雕像的鼻孔很漂亮
Elegant pair of nostrils, Mr Stothard!
噢 是啊 没错
Oh, yes. Yes, indeed.
他干嘛要在画上这么干
Why on earth would he go and do that?
我相信透纳先生很明白自己在画什么 马丁爵士
Oh, I believe Mr Turner knows well enough what he’s doing, Sir Martin.
你真这么认为
Do you think so?
-他毁了一副杰作 -我看不见得
-He’s ruined a masterpiece. -I think not.
太糟糕了 太糟糕了
That’s too bad. That’s too bad.
他这是对画开了一枪
He’s been here and fired a gun.
噢 不要这样
Oh, no, no.
约翰 你别这么不高兴
John, you must not upset yourself like this.
这人简直不可理喻
The man’s impossible.
他为什么要毁了这么完美的一幅画
I mean, why would he go and destroy a perfectly good painting?
纯粹是嘲笑
Sheer mockery.
我很同情康斯特堡
My sympathy is with Constable.
这么好的一幅画 他却拿来开玩笑
He’s got a damn fine picture here and he’s made a damn mockery of it.
这种疯狂的举动也是一种方法
There’s method in the madness, gentlemen.
如果这也是方法 那完全就是疯了
If that is method, it is pure madness.
但这到底画的是什么
But, what is it? Is it…
别再笑个不停了 卡鲁先生
Oh, do stop that prattling laughter, Mr Carew!
我觉得他还没有画完 先生们
I wager we’ve not seen the end of this, gentlemen.
他会让我们大吃一惊的
He may surprise us yet.
海顿
Haydon.

Hey!
透纳先生 我们刚才还在想
Mr Turner. We were just wondering if…
我说他还没画完吧
I said he wasn’t finished.
原来是个浮标 厉害啊
It’s a buoy! Bravo!
厉害 了不起
Bravo! Marvellous!
能解释一下你的画吗
Can you explain your rendition?
这无须解释
It needs no explanation, sir.
这是我们通往耶路撒冷救赎之路的交通工具 多么直白啊
‘Tis our Redeemer’s conveyance into Jerusalem, plain as day.
简直是亵渎
Blasphemy!
最近怎样 海顿先生
You faring well, Mr Haydon?
-这就是我的终结之作了 -那50镑
-This will be the finish of me! -50 pounds!
谢谢您 谢谢您的义举
Thank you, sir. Thank you, sir, for your charity.
-海顿 -你对我非常好
-Haydon? -You have been most kind.
你这布置尤其对我好 让我直接完了
Most kind in your placement. You have finished me.
你干脆把我的画扔外屋怎么样
You might as well have taken my painting and put it in the outhouse.
要不直接拿到房♥子外面 扔到弗利特河里去
Better yet, taken it out of this building and thrown it in the Fleet.
海顿 我实在是听不懂
Haydon, I am hard…hard set
-你为何这么愤怒 -至于你 还是我的学生
-to understand your indignation. -And as for you, my pupil
您的画 在隔壁房♥间透纳的画旁边
Your painting, sir, is hanging next-door to that of Mr Turner.
-是很好的组合 -简直背信弃义
-It is in fine company. -This is treachery!
别跟我提透纳的画
And do not talk to me of Turner’s work.
小声点 海顿先生
Please lower your voice, Mr Haydon.
他的画就像是没有手的人画出来的
His pictures look as if they were painted by somebody born without hands!
海顿 你这是在吵什么
Mr Haydon, what is your quarrel?
我告诉你们怎么挂我的画 结果你们没听
What principles have you applied other than those that I gave?
-海顿先生 请小声点 -不行
-Mr Haydon, please lower your voice. -I will not, sir!
-你到底在争什么 -我对你失去了尊重
-What is your quarrel here? -I have no respect for you.
我无法认同你当学院的院长
I certainly do not acknowledge your presidency.
应该是威尔基当院长的
It should have been Wilkie.
海顿先生 在学院里我们不允许人身攻击的行为
Mr Haydon, I will not have personal attacks like this on the Academy floor.
我给你什么你就得接受什么
You will have what I choose to give you, sir.
这也是为什么你从来
This would be one of the many reasons
不被学院接纳的原因之一 海顿先生
why you were never accepted here, Mr Haydon.
这个人花了25年时间
This man…this man has spent a quarter of a century
竭尽所能地诽谤我
doing everything in his power to malign me…
-我从没做过这种事 -并毁掉我的才华
-I have done nothing of the sort. -…and spoil my genius.
-不要嚷了 海顿先生 -不
-Refrain from this shouting, Mr Haydon. -I will not!
-我要强行请你出去了 -来啊
-I will have you forcibly removed. -Yes, do it!
来啊 把我从这群肖像画家中赶出去啊
Do it! Remove me from your nest of portrait painters!
你注意点
Have a care!
怎么 肖像画家有什么不可以吗
What, sir, is wrong with being a portrait painter?
它们对提升艺术水准有什么贡献吗
What does it do to elevate the art?
我的肖像画得到了国王的赞许
I received the accolade from the King for painting portraits.
-天哪 真想给他鞠个躬 -我的画很好
-Oh, God! I bow to him! -And damn good ones too, sir!
海顿 我想说我的画也挂在劣质画的房♥间
Haydon, can I point out that I, too, hang in the inferior chamber?
我才不管你的画 一丁点也不
I care not for your work, sir. I care not a fig.
至少我的画没有说肖像画都是放屁
At least my work does not represent self-portrait as ass.
给我
Give me those…
-放开我 -把他赶出去
-Unhand me! -Remove this man!
你们这些猪 你们这些猪
You swines! You swines!
海顿先生 我很遗憾地通知您
Mr Haydon, sir, with deep regret I must inform you
我正打算请工人们来
that I am on my way to the porters,
除非你自愿离开这里
unless you feel free to leave of your own volition.
请吧
Please, sir.
这个粗劣的世界别想再扭曲我了
Stretch me no longer on this rough world.
永别了 各位
I’m done with you.
有人陪着真是不错
‘Tis nice to have a bit of company for a change.
今天散步怎么样 在里卡夫村那边冷吗
So you had a good walk, then? Weren’t too chippy up there by Reculver?
的确风有点大 卷起了白色海浪
Somewhat blowy and the wind did kick up some white horses.
每年这个时候的确如此
Can do this time of year.
但是夏天 那里很适合野餐
In summertime, though, ’tis a lovely calm spot for a picnic
在”两姐妹”塔楼那里
up there by the Two Sisters,
但冬天 那边整个海边的露台
but in wintertime I have known the whole of Marine Terrace down here
连一块完整的玻璃都没有的
without a pane of glass left in the entire place.
玻璃工倒是发财了
Oh, the glaziers do get rich.
布斯先生和我搬来的时候 把所有地方擦得亮堂堂
When Mr Booth and I moved in here, we had the whole place polished up,
收拾得干干净净 等待第一个客人
spick and span, ready for our first visitors
而海风开始刮 海水涨潮
and the wind did blow and the sea come up.
到处都是碎玻璃 一片狼藉
We had broken glass everywhere. It were terrible.
布斯夫人
Mrs Booth.
你能不能看一看窗外
Would you be so kind as to look out of the window?
哪里 我该看哪里
Where? What am I looking at?
从你的鼻尖 到那座桥 再到你眉毛的曲线
From the tip of your nose to the bridge to the curve of your brow
您让我想起一座我熟知的希腊雕塑 阿芙洛狄忒
you put me in mind of a Greek sculpture I’m familiar with, of Aphrodite,
爱的女神
the goddess of love.
噢 这
Oh, now!
从没人这么夸过我的鼻子
No one’s ever said that about my nose before.
我这鼻子好难看的
This old snout!
老实说 我的视力如今已经不太好了

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
前一篇文章绅士们
下一篇文章爱你,罗茜
一个人,一本书,一部电影,还是一段音乐 ♪ ♩ ♫ ♬ 在世界的某个角落, 总有什么能触动你的心灵; 在世界的某个角落, 总有和你一样的人。

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!