Truth to tell, my eyes aren’t so good these days
照镜子的时候 我还挺高兴自己看不太清
so when I do look in the looking-glass I be glad I cannot see so well.
我照镜子的时候 觉得自己像石雕的怪物
When I peruse myself in the looking-glass, I see a gargoyle.
你现在是在反过来让我夸你吧
Now, you be fishing for compliments,
我妈总是说 渴求赞美的人 反而什么都得不到
and my old ma used to say, them what fish for compliments don’t get none.
并且 一个人的内在是最重要的
Besides, ’tis what’s within a person that do matter.
我并不了解你 马拉先生
I do not know you, Mr Mallard,
并且我肯定 您的事情 我不一定都能理解
and I’m sure there be things about you that are beyond my understanding,
但我相信
but I believe you to be…
您有伟大的潜能 善良的内心
a man of great…spirit and fine feeling.
布斯夫人
Mrs Booth…
您有着深邃的美丽
you are a woman of profound beauty.
马拉先生
Mr Mallard…
我不知该说什么
I am lost for words.
晚安 马拉先生
Good night, Mr Mallard, sir.
我帮你把靴子刷干净了
I’ve cleaned your boots for’ee.
它们放在门口了
They’re by the door here.
布斯夫人
Mrs Booth.
今晚很愉快 谢谢
I thank you for a most convivial evening.
我也谢谢您
I do thank you too, sir.
容我大胆说一句 老兄
If I may be so bold as to say, mate,
在我看来
as I see it,
你就像甲板上没安好的大炮 鲁莽又危险
you’re a loose cannon rolling round the deck.
呼气
And out.
盖好
Cover yourself up.
行了
Good man.
马拉先生得了支气管炎
Well, Mr Mallard is suffering from bronchitis.
这样啊
Oh…there.
可以简单用三个词形容
For which we prescribe the three Bs:
-卧床 软膏 喝肉汤 -噢
-bed, balsam and broth. -Oh.
你们这情况呢 还有第四个词 布斯夫人
To be administered in this case by the fourth B: the admirable Mrs Booth.
-噢 -谢谢
-Oh! -Thank you.
布斯夫人
Now, Mrs Booth,
如果你能四点后去我那边一趟
if you would be so good as to come up to the house after four,
我应该可以把软膏准备好了
I shall have the balsam prepared.
-我会过去的 -告辞 马拉先生
-Indeed I shall, sir. -Good day, Mr Mallard.
休息好身体 精神也能获得慰藉
Rest the body, sir, and the soul shall find solace.
多谢医生了 我送你出门
I do thank ye, Doctor. Let me show ye out.
-告辞 布斯太太 -再见
-Good day to you, Mrs Booth. -Good day to you, sir.
先生们
Gentlemen.
透纳先生
Mr Turner.
我父亲与我正臣服于这幅伟大的画作
My father and I are marvelling at this glorious work.
如果我没记错的话
Er…might I be correct in remembering
去年夏天我们是不是在皇家艺术学院见过它
that we had the good fortune of viewing it at the Academy last summer?

Indeed.
我必须说 第二次看仍旧非常棒
Well, I must say, it is no less impressive on its second viewing.
甚至更棒了 对吧 父亲
Perhaps even more so. Is it not, Father?
没错
Indeed so.
我记得 在我们看过它很久以后
I recall it provoked much heated and stimulating discussion
大家还在激烈地讨论
long after our viewing.
-它没卖♥♥出去 -没有吗
-It did not sell. -Indeed not?
没有 拉斯金先生
No, Mr Ruskin.
-太令人吃惊了 -但这是一幅杰作啊
-I’m astonished. -But it is a masterpiece.
-萨克雷批评得很难听 -怎么呢
-Thackeray reviles it. -How so?
他说要么太清高 要么太可笑
Sublime or ridiculous, he says.
那他是不是得先拿定个主意啊
Well, perhaps he should make up his mind.
他的嘴巴太毒了 尽是讥讽
He has a sharp and cynical tongue.
在欣赏艺术的时候 是不允许讥讽的
There is no place for cynicism in the reviewing of art.
-那毫无意义 -正是
-‘Tis of no consequence. -Quite.
这画你们可以买♥♥
It is purchasable.
诱人啊
Enticing.
或许吧
Perhaps.
船上爆发流行性斑疹伤寒 奴隶们死在那里 没有保险
Typhus epidemic amongst the cargo, slaves die on board, no insurance.
把他们绑起来扔水里淹死 反倒有钱拿
Sling ’em in the drink, drowned dead, cash.
我被这条亮白色的光线迷住了
I am struck by the column of bright white,
在这偏离中心一点点的地方
placed precisely off centre here,
在这稍暗的背景上 厚厚一层
applied over the darkened background, impasto,
和左上角的猩红色 赭石色产生对比
contrasting with the scarlet and ochre hues in the upper left corner,
它们同时也对比出了上帝的存在
which in turn contrasts with the presence of God,
向我们展现希望还是存在的
revealing to us that hope exists
尽管在这动荡不安又无边无际的死亡中
even in the most turbulent and illimitable of deaths.
有青苍蝇
Bluebottles.
-啊 -在纱网上 快把它们赶出去
-Eh? -Up in the muslin. Knock ’em out.
又不是我放它们进来的
Well, I didn’t put ’em there.
这幅画放在我们图书室的壁炉上会很棒啊 父亲
Would it not sit splendidly above the fireplace in the library, Father?
的确 但恐怕价格太高我们无法承受 约翰
It would, but I fear it may be beyond our purse, John.
我相信价钱还可以再商量
I’m sure some arrangement can be come to, sir.
当心头
Mind your heads.
你这只是顶得它们上下飞
You’re just…you’re just knocking ’em up and down.
把它们弄下来
Scrape ’em out.
你又把它们赶到那边去了
Now you’ve…Now you’ve knocked it over there.
今天天气真好
There. ‘Tis a nice day for’ee.
再见 夫人
Au revoir, madame.
是那边
T’other way.
-早上好 斯托克斯太太 -早上好
-Morning, Mrs Stokes. -Morning.
普莱斯医生 布斯太太这是故意找借口让你过来
Dr Price, Mrs Booth has summoned you here under false pretences.
嘘 医生会帮你检查
Let the doctor do his work.
吸气
Breathe in.
呼气
Breathe out.
您最近是否过度劳累 马拉先生
Have you been exerting yourself unduly, Mr Mallard?
跟平时差不多
No more than is usual, sir.
再告诉我一遍 您的职业是
Remind me again, what is your profession?
-大♥法♥庭主事官 -吸气
-Master of Chancery. -Breathe in.
不好意思 您这说法我不同意
Forgive me, sir, but I beg to differ.
呼气
Breathe out.
您是透纳先生吧 杰出的画家
I suggest that you are Mr Turner, the illustrious painter,
很荣幸能认识你
and I am greatly honoured to make your acquaintance.
抱歉 二位
My apologies to you both,
但请放心 我不会把这事说出去
but rest assured that my discretion can be relied upon.
让我检查一下眼睛
Now, allow me to examine your eyes.
大♥师♥的眼睛
The eyes of a master.
睁大
Open wide.
朝上看
Look up.
透纳先生 您患的是心脏病
Mr Turner, you are suffering from a disorder of the heart.
布斯夫人 现在不用特别担忧
There is no immediate cause for concern, Mrs Booth.
-但他必须小心谨慎 -噢 天哪
-But he will have to be careful. -Oh, dear.
要适当强度地生活 这样能活得长久
Live moderately, sir, and you shall enjoy a long and fruitful life.
而太劳累会导致过早去世
Exert yourself unduly and you will go to an early grave.
天哪
Oh, dear.
知道了吧
There, now.
你好
Good day, sir.
你没有什么想对我说的吗
Have you nothing to say to me?
你们是去了亲人 我很遗憾 请节哀
I am most sorry for your loss.
她也是你的骨肉 父亲
Our loss, Father!
你亲生女儿的葬礼
Your own dear daughter’s funeral.
没错
Indeed.
我当时不在市里
I did not find myself in the city.
当然 你肯定是在画那些愚蠢的海难
As ever, sir, painting your ridiculous shipwrecks.
你真是铁石心肠吗
Have you no feelings?
说话啊
Speak!
走 艾芙丽娜
Come, Evelina.
我们没什么好说的了
There is nothing here for us.
你累了 亲爱的
You’re tired, my dear.
最近你是太疲劳了
‘Tis too much of a strain for you these days,
每次想来见我 都要坐那颠簸的老蒸汽船
trawling back and forth on that old steamer every time you wants to see me.
就算将来他们能修好新的铁路
And even when they’ve finished building that new railway,
也没人知道到时候事情会怎样
we none of us do know what lies ahead.
我有个计划
I have bethought me of a plan
我们应该这样
and here is what we must do.
你可以给我俩找一间小屋
If you will find a little house for us,
在你喜欢的泰晤士河边 但离伦敦不要太远

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
前一篇文章绅士们
下一篇文章爱你,罗茜
一个人,一本书,一部电影,还是一段音乐 ♪ ♩ ♫ ♬ 在世界的某个角落, 总有什么能触动你的心灵; 在世界的某个角落, 总有和你一样的人。

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!