根据真实故事改编
波特兰 俄勒冈州 1947
最初的记忆往往不真实
All of our earliest memories are lies,
家族神话代代相传
family mythologies handed down to us repeatedly
仿佛它们都真实存在似的
until they become as real as what actually happened.
开门啊 妈妈
Get the door, Mama.
片名 《心灵深处的音乐》
十个月后
快开门 妈妈
Get the damn door, Mama.
没有人确切知道母亲是什么时候变疯的
No one in the family can say exactly when my mother went crazy.
又十个月后
外婆说 妈妈一直都疯疯癫癫的
According to Grandma, she was always that way.
快开门 妈妈
Get the damn door, Mama.
爸爸说自从妈妈数次流产后就变那样了
Dad said it started when she lost the babies.
八年里七次流产对谁都是个毁灭性打击
Seven miscarriages in eight years can tend to do that to a person.
所以他们对我的出生才会感到如此惊讶
That’s why my arrival on the scene came as somewhat of a surprise.
我出生时 脖子被脐带缠绕
I was born with the umbilical cord wrapped around my neck.
所以一直以来 我都很容易发火
I’ve been pissed off ever since.
流产彻底击垮了母亲
The miscarriages had taken such a toll on Mom
以致于她总觉得我也已经夭折了
that she somehow got it in her head that she’d lost me as well.
欢迎来到加利福尼亚州
仁慈之家孤儿院
我出生不久
Shortly after I was born,
妈妈就把我扔在了加州的一所天主教孤儿院
my mother drove me to California and placed me in a Catholic orphanage.
我很想和你们聊聊我儿时的一些回忆
I wish I could tell you about my earliest memories there,
可惜的是 无人知晓
but the truth is, no one knows.
欢迎来到俄勒冈州
回家后,她告诉家人我夭折了
Back home, she claimed I had died at birth
不告诉任何人我在哪儿
and couldn’t tell anyone where I was.
你们怎么了?
What?
欢迎来到加利福尼亚州
两年后 她又流产了
Two years later, after another miscarriage,
她猛然想起我被她遗弃在孤儿院
she suddenly remembered where she’d left me.
即使妈妈一直疯疯癫癫 爸爸却依然爱她
Despite all of Mom’s craziness, Dad never stopped loving her.
可他们最后还是离了婚
But they divorced,
我就像个没人要的蛋糕被推来推去
and I was passed around like an unwanted Christmas fruitcake.
最终 我妈妈决定担起做母亲的责任
Eventually, my mother decided she needed to be a fulltime mom again,
希望我们的生活重新开始
and that we needed a fresh start.
但我并不愿意
I disagreed.
-你会有自己的房♥间 -我已经有了
-You’ll have your own room. -I already have my own room.
我要给你买♥♥个双层床
I’ll get you bunk beds.
我要那干嘛? 我又没兄弟
But why do I need bunk beds? I’m an only child.
生活也有美好的一面 那就是我爸爸
It wasn’t all bad. The best thing in my life was my dad.
他叫戴风 他是个中国人
His name was Dell Fong, and he was Chinese.
我知道他是个中国人
I identify him as being Chinese,
因为他的肤色是我记忆中最鲜明的一抹色彩
because his race is the most vibrant memory I have of him.
理查德 太危险了 过来 该干活了
Richard, that’s not safe. Come on, time to work.
或许你将来也能当个厨子
Maybe you can be a cook, too, someday.
我并不想像爸爸那样当厨师
I could never be a cook like my father
我早就决定了我的未来
because I’d already made my career choice.
我要做超人
Superhero.
超人有时得处理些麻烦事
As a superhero, you occasionally have to deal with something annoying,
比如能杀死超人的克利普顿石
like Kryptonite.
我的克星就是家人
My Kryptonite was called home.
妈妈每年都会
My mother had this ritual. Every year,
为每个夭折的孩子们过生日
she’d celebrate the birthday of each of the children she miscarried.
给他们买♥♥生日卡 再吃很多安♥眠♥药♥
by buying them a birthday card and taking an overdose of sleeping pills.
这样的场景每年会发生七次
That happened seven times a year.
她的自杀虽然总不成功 但却总是很准时
I wouldn’t call her successful at suicide, but she was punctual.
爸爸的克星是什么呢?
My dad’s Kryptonite?
酱油
Soy sauce.
“人们安息时 灵魂深处的音乐会伴随着他们”
“Most people go to their graves with their music inside them.”
霍姆斯先生想说什么呢?
What was Mr. Holmes saying?
孩子们 开动脑子 这不难
Come on, guys, it’s not that hard.
他是在说大多数人死时
He’s saying that most people die
都还没能展现出他们的才华
without discovering their own genius,
和与众不同的特质
without expressing the uniqueness that makes them special.
所以我们要做一个小游戏
And that’s what this little exercise is about.
我想让你们用三分钟时间告诉我一些你知道
I want you to give me three minutes about something anything that you know
但你的同学却不知道的事情
that your classmates may not know.
皮蒙特 勇气可嘉 快上来
Mr. Pimentel, I like your spirit. Come on up.
马屁精
Butt kisser.
有趣的是
Funny how things happen.
只有事后你才意识到
Only in hindsight do you realize
诸如上课举手这样的小事
how something as small as raising your hand
也会改变你的一生
can change your entire life.
你们在金龙餐馆
Well, have any of you ever eaten chicken at the Golden Dragon,
黄园餐馆或华园餐馆吃过鸡吗?
the Rickshaw Gardens or the Chinese Gardens?
你们也应该知道餐馆是不买♥♥活鸡的吧?
Well, you know the restaurants don’t buy live chickens, right?
他们只买♥♥杀好的鸡
They buy dead ones.
那你们知道去哪进货吗? 那些鸡是怎么死的?
And you know where they get those chickens and how those chickens die?
我知道 因为鸡是我杀的 你们盘中的鸡都是我杀的
I do, ’cause I killed them. I killed your dinner.
我给城里每家中餐馆
I’ve chopped the head off chickens
都杀过鸡
for every Chinese restaurant in the city.
你得找把大刀
You find the biggest knife you can find,
抓紧鸡脖子的尾部和翅膀…
then you have to grab the chicken by the lower of its neck and swing…
我能说上好久
I could’ve talked for hours.
帕克斯先生也和我一样兴奋
Mr. Parks was almost as happy as I was,
因为他有个演讲俱乐部
because he ran the speech club.
警告 北极上空的导弹正在逼近
warnings of approaching missiles over the Arctic.
下一条新闻 苏联主席赫鲁晓夫在与非社♥会♥主♥义♥国家
And in other news, Soviet Premier Khrushchev has made great strides
和平共处的政策中迈出一大步
in his policy towards peaceful coexistence with non-Communist countries.
我相信赫鲁晓夫在其倡导的与非社♥会♥主♥义♥国家
And I believe Premier Khrushchev has made great strides
和平共处的政策中迈出了一大步
in his policy towards peaceful coexistence with non-Communist countries.
我也许还不是最棒的原创演说家
I may not have been the most original speaker,
但我已崭露头角
but I became a star.
超人的梦想早已褪去 我现在真正知道了自己的理想
Forget that superhero dream, now I knew what I really wanted to be.
妈妈?
Mom?
我已经搞不清今天是谁的生日了
I forget whose birthday it was this time.
但肯定不是我的
I just know it wasn’t mine.
妈妈不再试图自杀 但几个月后离开了我
My mother ended up surviving only to leave me a few months later.
不过这也无所谓 因为我自有打算
It didn’t matter, though, because I had plans.
事情并不像我想得那么顺
Things didn’t happen as quickly as I expected.
高中毕业之后
A few years after high school,
我在一家歌♥舞厅的厨房♥工作
I got a job working in the kitchen of a gogo bar
挣钱读大学
to earn money for college.
理查德 十分钟前那菜就该好了
Richard, I need that order 10 minutes ago.
我花钱可不是雇你来干站着的
I don’t pay you to stand around.
我一直怀揣着那个梦想
I still had my dream,
但偶尔也会有些分心
but there were a few distractions.
直到多年后看了星球大战
Bambi was a visual effect that would only be rivaled years later
班比的身影才在我脑子里淡去
by my first viewing of Star Wars.
蒂芙 你太暴露了
Tiff, you’re exposed.
你在准备什么?
What are you working on?
波特兰州立大学有个演讲比赛
There’s a tournament at Portland State University,
任何人都可以参加
and it’s open to anybody.
如果我好好表现 也许能得到学校的赏识
So I figured if I went there and I did really well, I might get noticed,
没准儿还能得到奖学金
and who knows, maybe a scholarship.
真的啊
No shit.
-那你准备穿什么? -不知道 毛衣吧
-What are you gonna wear? -I don’t know. Probably a sweater.
那可不行 宝贝
Oh, honey, no way.
看到那家伙了么?
You see that guy over there?
城里最大的男装店就是他开的
He owns the biggest men’s store in town.
姑娘们
Girls.
棒极了
Well done.
谢谢你 先生
Yeah, thank you, sir.
皮蒙特先生?
Mr. Pimentel?
我叫本·帕吉 大学演讲系主任
I’m Ben Padrow with the University. I’m chairman of the Speech Department.
你好 帕吉教授 久仰大名
Hi, Dr. Padrow, I know who you are.
恭喜你 表现很出色
Well, congratulations. I’m impressed.
西服也很不错
Nice suit.
谢谢
Oh, thank you very much.
你在哪个学校?
Where do you go to school?
实话实说 我目前没在上学
Actually, sir, I’m not in school right now.
经济上有点儿小困难 不过我很想去州立大学

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!