Tom Doyle has a pat answer for that though.
说索沃德太太昨天早上和她丈夫一起离开的
That Mrs. Thorwald left yesterday with her husband?
目击者说的
According to those witnesses.
我听多尤先生说过了
Well, I have a pat rebuttal for Mr. Doyle.
-那肯定不是索沃德太太 -真的
– Couldn’t have been Mrs. Thorwald, or I don’t know women. – Oh?
怎么解释目击者呢
– What about the witnesses?
他们确实见到一个女人
We’ll agree they saw a woman,
可那不是索沃德太太
but she was not Mrs. Thorwald.
不是她本人
That is, not yet.
是吗
Is that so?
过来
Come here.
真想看看你朋友听到这些后的表情
I’d like to see your friend’s face when we tell him.
他可不太像个探长
He doesn’t sound like much of a detective.
别难为他 他是个老实的公务员
Oh, don’t be too hard on him. He’s a steady worker.
真希望他快点到
I sure wish he’d show up.
别着急 我们有一整晚的时间
Don’t rush him. We have all night.
-有什么 -整晚
– We have all what? – Night.
我会留下陪你
I am going to stay with you.
那你得和我的房♥东说清楚
You’ll have to clear that with my landlord.
我整个周末都不用上班
I have the whole weekend off.
很好 可我只有一张床
That’s very nice, but I just have one bed.
你再说话 明晚我也住这儿
If you say anything else, I’ll… stay tomorrow night too.
我没有多的 睡衣给你
I won’t be able to give you any… pajamas.
你说过 野外生存只能带一个箱子
You said I’ll have to live out of one suitcase.
我打赌 你的肯定比这个大
I’ll bet yours isn’t this small.
这是个衣箱
This is a suitcase?
“马克 克洛斯”牌短途旅行箱
Well, a Mark Cross overnight case anyway.
-噢 -小巧紧凑 但足够用了
– Ooh, wow. – Compact, but, uh… ample enough.
你好像收拾得很匆忙
Looks like you packed in a hurry.
这个很有意思
Look at this. Isn’t that amazing?
为了奖励我的女性直觉 留我过夜如何
I’ll trade you… my feminine intuition for a bed for the night.
我同意
I’ll go along with that.
又是那首曲子
There’s that song again.
他哪来的灵感 能写出这样的曲子
Where does a man get inspiration to write a song like that?
每个月从房♥东太太那儿得到的
Well, he gets it from the landlady once a month.
真是太美了
It’s utterly beautiful.
真希望我也有创作才能
I wish I could be creative.
噢 亲爱的 你有
Oh, sweetie, you are.
你在制♥造♥麻烦方面很有天赋
Y- Y- You have a great talent for creating difficult situations.
-真的 -当然 不请自来 还擅自留下过夜
– I do? – Sure. Staying here all night, uninvited.
出其不意 攻其不备
Surprise is the most important element of attack.
你没读过那本私♥家♥侦♥探♥小说吗
Besides, you’re not up on your private eye literature.
当他们有麻烦时
When they’re in trouble,
总是女助手帮侦探摆脱困境
it’s always their Girl Friday who gets them out of it.
也是她把他从艳舞♥女♥郎
Is she the girl that saves them from the clutches of the seductive showgirls…
还有富翁女儿的魔爪下救出来的
and the over- passionate daughters of the rich?
-就是那一部 -就是那一部 啊
– The same. – That’s the one, huh?
有趣 可他俩从未结婚 是吗
It’s funny. He never ends up marrying her, does he?
-真奇怪 -奇怪
– That’s strange. – Weird.
我为何不钻进更舒服点的地方
Why don’t I slip into something more comfortable?
请便
By all means.
比如去厨房♥煮点咖啡
I mean, like the kitchen and make us some coffee.
还有白兰地
Oh, and some brandy too, huh?
哈利
Harry.
-杰夫 -嗨
– Jeff. – Hi.
你对这个索沃德还知道些什么
What else have you got on this man Thorwald?
很多 你再不来 他就跑了
Enough to scare me you wouldn’t show up in time and we’d lose him.
他要离开
Think he’s getting out of here? He’s got everything he owns…
他已经在床上收拾行李了
laid out over there in the bedroom, waiting to be packed.
我正在热白兰地 我猜这就是多尤先生
I’m just warming some brandy. Mr. Doyle, I presume?
汤姆 这是丽莎 弗里蒙特小姐
Tom, this is Miss Lisa Fremont.
-你好 -我们认为索沃德有罪
– How do you do? – We think Thorwald’s guilty.
别瞎猜 汤姆
Careful, Tom.

Hello.
-多尤中尉在吗 -对 他在 找你的
– Lieutenant Doyle. – Yeah, he’s right here. For you.
-你好 -多尤中尉吗
– Hello. – Lieutenant Doyle, sir?
对 你说吧 好
Speaking. Yeah.
好的 我知道了 多谢 再见
All right. I see. Thank you. Good- bye.
咖啡很快就好
Coffee will be ready soon.
-杰夫 为什么不告诉他手饰的事 -手饰
– Jeff, aren’t you going to tell him about the jewelry? – Jewelry?
他把妻子的手饰藏在卧室的衣服里
He’s got his wife’s jewelry hidden in his clothes in the bedroom there.
你确定是他妻子的
You sure it belonged to his wife?
在她最喜欢的手提包里
It was in her favorite handbag.
-多尤先生 这只能得出一个结论 -什么
– Mr. Doyle, that can only lead to one conclusion. – Namely?
昨天早上离开的不是索沃德太太
That it was not Mrs. Thorwald that left with him yesterday morning.
你怎么知道
You figured that out, eh?
很简单
It’s simply that women don’t leave
女人不会不带手饰去旅行
their jewelry behind when they go on a trip.
噢 汤姆 你早知道了对不对
Come on, Tom. You don’t really need any of this information, do you?
的确
As a matter of fact, I don’t.
拉兹 索沃德不是杀人犯
Lars Thorwald is no more a murderer than I am.
你能解释这里发生的一切
You can explain everything that’s going on over there and is still going on?
不能 你也不能
No, neither can you.
你看到的是别人的私生活
That’s a secret, private world you’re looking into out there.
人们的隐私很难在公开场合下解释
People do a lot of things in private they couldn’t possibly explain in public.
例如谋杀妻子
Like disposing of their wives?
忘掉这想法吧 那只会引出错误结论
Get that idea out of your mind. It’ll only lead in the wrong direction.
怎么解释刀和锯子呢
What about the knife and the saw?
你自己有锯子吗
Did you ever own a saw?
有 在车♥库♥里 我有
Well, at home in the garage, I had…
你用它杀了多少人
How many people did you cut up with it?
你这辈子用过多少刀
Or with the couple hundred knives you’ve owned in your lifetime?
不能就凭这些作出判断
Your logic is backward.
可妻子失踪了 还有箱子和手饰怎么解释
You can’t ignore the disappearance and the trunk and the jewelry.
我查过火车站 他买♥♥了张票
I checked the railroad station. He bought a ticket.
十点钟后 他送妻子上了火车
Ten minutes later, he put his wife on the train.
目的地 梅利斯维尔 目击者堆成山
Destination: Merritsville. The witnesses are that deep.
那可能是另一个女人 而不是索沃德太太
That might have been a woman, but it couldn’t have been Mrs. Thorwald.
-那些手饰 -瞧 弗里蒙特小姐
– That jewelry… – Miss Fremont,
靠女性直觉破案的故事是能提高杂♥志♥销量
that feminine intuition stuff sells magazines,
可在现实生活里 那行不通
but in real life, it’s still a fairy tale.
我记不清浪费了多少时间
I don’t know how many wasted years I’ve spent,
追查靠女性直觉提供的线索
tracking down leads based on female intuition.
够了 我知道你没找到箱子
All right, I take it you didn’t find the trunk.
别背诵你在警局用过的发言稿了
All this is from an old speech you made at the policemen’s ball.
离开火车站一个半小时后 我找到了箱子
I found the trunk a half- hour after I left here.
难道用绳子绑箱子正常吗
I suppose it’s normal for a man to tie up a trunk with heavy rope?
若锁坏了 就正常
If the lock is broken, yes.
你在箱子里找到了什么 傲慢的语气
What did you find inside the trunk, a surly note to me?
索沃德太太的衣服
Mrs. Thorwald’s clothes;
干净 整齐 不太时髦 但还拿得出手
clean, well- packed, not stylish, but presentable.
你没送去实验室化验
Didn’t you take them off to the crime lab?
我送去了
I sent them on their merry and legal way.
为什么一个短途旅行的女人
Why, when a woman is taking a simple, short trip,
要带上所有的东西
does she take everything she owns?
这个问题还是留给女性心理分♥析♥专家来解释吧
Let’s let the female psychology department handle that one.
也许她不打算回来了
I would say it looked as if she wasn’t coming back.
这就是所谓的家庭纠纷
That’s what’s known as a family problem.
如果她不回来了 为什么不告诉房♥东
If she wasn’t coming back, why didn’t he tell his landlord?
我告诉你为什么
I’ll tell you why he didn’t tell his landlord,
因为他隐藏了什么
because he was hiding something.
你什么事都告诉房♥东吗
Do you tell your landlord everything?
我说过小心点 别瞎猜 汤姆
Ah, I told you to be careful, Tom.
如果那次作战时 我小心点开飞机
If I’d have been careful piloting that recognizance plane during the war,
你就不会碰巧拍到获奖照片
you wouldn’t have had the chance to take the pictures
找到好工作 名利双收
that won you a medal and a good job and fame and money.
不如我们坐下来好好喝两杯吧
What do you say, we all sit down and have a nice friendly drink or two?
忘了这一切吧
Forget all about this.
我们可以随便聊聊当兵时的好时光
We can tell lies about the good old days during the war.
你对这案子了如指掌了
You mean you’re through with the case?
根本就没有什么案子

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
前一篇文章火车怪客
下一篇文章细节 The Details
一个人,一本书,一部电影,还是一段音乐 ♪ ♩ ♫ ♬ 在世界的某个角落, 总有什么能触动你的心灵; 在世界的某个角落, 总有和你一样的人。

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!