德米利经常说我是她最棒的明星
DeMille always said I was his greatest star.
他什么时候说的 诺玛
When did he say it, Norma?
没错 是很多年前啦
All right, it was quite a few years ago.
那又怎么样呢 我的生活里没有比现在更好的时候啦
The point is, I never looked better in my life.
知道为什么吗 因为我从来没有像现在这么快乐过
You know why? Because I’ve never been as happy in my life.
几天之后
A few evenings later
我们去找她的一个牌友
we were going to the house of one of the waxworks…
打桥牌
for some bridge.
她教会了我如何打桥牌
She’d taught me how to play bridge by then…
就像她教我那些奇特的探戈舞步一样
just as she’d taught me some fancy tango steps…
干什么就要对症下药
and what wine to drink with what fish.
那个白♥痴♥ 竟然忘了往我的烟盒里放烟
That idiot. He forgot to fill my cigarette case.
抽我的吧
Here, have one of mine.
你的烟比较冲 我会咳嗽的
They’re dreadful. They make me cough.
在杂货店停一下 马♥克♥思♥ 我去给你买♥♥一些
Pull up to the drugstore, Max. I’ll get you some.
你太好啦
You’re a darling.
给我一包土耳其烟
Give me a package of those Turkish cigarettes…
我的天
Abdullas.
吉利斯 过来
Stick ’em up, Gillis.
快 这边
Stick ’em up, or I’ll let you have it.
嗨 阿迪 晚上好 斯凯弗小姐
Hi, Artie. Evening, Miss Schaefer.
-太高兴见到你啦 -出去走走
– I’m so glad to see you. – Walking out on the mob.
-到底出什么事儿啦 -新年那个事儿真是抱歉
– What’s the big idea? – I’m sorry about New Year’s.
如果我告诉你
Would you believe me
我陪一个病了的朋友 你会相信吗
if I told you I stayed with a sick friend?
你这么正经地说 我信
Someone in the formal set, no doubt, with a ten-carat kidney stone.
别说啦 阿迪 行吗
Oh, stop it, Artie, will you?
你都躲到哪儿去啦
Where have you been keeping yourself?
我有个好消息给你
I’ve got wonderful news for you.
我没有躲着呀 起码最近没有
I haven’t been keeping myself at all. Not lately.
我给你的代理 你的行业工会都打了电♥话♥
I called your agent, I called the Screenwriters Guild.
最后从你过去的公♥寓♥那里 拿到个峰顶路的号♥码
Finally your old apartment gave me some Crestview number.
一个带口音的家伙冲我咆哮了半天
Somebody with an accent growling at me.
你不在那里
You weren’t there.
他们甚至没听说过你
You weren’t to be spoken to. They never heard of you.
是吗
Is that so?
-什么好消息 -夏德里克喜欢那个教师角度的故事
– What’s the wonderful news? – Sheldrake likes the teacher angle.
-什么教师 -黑暗之窗
– What teacher? – Dark Windows.
我把他侃晕了
I got him all hopped up about it.
他认为可以写出点东西来的
He thinks it could be made into something.
好吧 钱呢
Okay, where’s the cash?
故事呢
Where’s the story?
我加了些自己的观点蒙混了过去
I bluffed it out with a few notions of my own.
-故事还需要大量的工作 -恐怕是不行
– It needs work. – I was afraid of that.
我已经写了20页要点了
I’ve got 20 pages of notes
而且还想出一个相当棒的角色来配那个主角
and a pretty good character for the man.
多写点幕后情节
Write in plenty of background action…
他们还需要个助理导演的
so they’ll need an extra assistant director.
阿迪 闭嘴
Oh, Artie, shut up.
如果我们能一块用两个星期完善的话…
If we could sit down for 2 weeks…
对不起 斯凯弗小姐
I’m sorry, Miss Schaefer.
我已经放弃那个故事啦
I’ve given up writing on spec.
可是事情几乎都成功一半啦
But this is half sold.
实际上我已经完全放弃写作了
As a matter of fact, I’ve given up writing altogether.
吉里斯先生
Mr. Gillis.
-如果可以的话… -马上就走
– If you please. – I’ll be right there.
那个口音 我想起来了
The accent. I get it.
这个人是拿外国政♥府♥工资的
This guy’s in the pay of a foreign government.
看看那些扣子 看看那些链扣
Check those studs. Get those cuff links.
我该走了
I’ve got to run along.
无论如何谢谢你对我事业的关心
Thanks anyway for your interest in my career.
那不是你的事业 是我的
It’s not your career, it’s mine.
我一直想进入这一行
I’d hoped to get in on this deal.
我不想一辈子只做读者 我也想创作
I don’t want to be a reader all my life. I want to write.
如果你觉得我背弃了你 我只有跟你说声抱歉了
I’m sorry if I crossed you up.
当然你背弃了我
You sure have.
再见
So long.
怎么回事儿 亲爱的 用了这么长的时间
What on earth, darling? It took you hours.
我碰到熟人啦
I ran into some people I know.
-我的烟呢 -你的…
– Where are my cigarettes? – Where are your…
诺玛 你烟抽得太多啦
Norma, you’re smoking too much.
当她觉得我认为无聊的时候
Whenever she suspected I was getting bored…
就会为我上演一出戏
she would put on a live show for me…
诺玛·德斯蒙德 讽刺剧
the Norma Desmond Follies.
第一出一般都是麦克·塞内特的美女出浴
Her first number was always the Mack Sennett bathing beauty.
名单里仍然有我的名字
I can still see myself in the line.
玛丽·普雷沃斯特 梅布尔·诺曼德
Marie Prevost, Mabel Normand.
梅布尔经常踩我的脚
Mabel was always stepping on my feet.
你怎么啦 亲爱的
What’s the matter with you, darling?
怎么这么忧郁
Why are you so glum?
没事儿 我玩得很高兴
Nothing’s the matter. I’m having a great time.
-再给我演点别的 -好的
– Show me some more. – All right.
给我递一下 我要刮一下绒毛
Give me this. I need it for a mustache.
闭上眼睛 闭上呀
Now close your eyes. Close them.
我的确在考虑一些事
Something was the matter, all right.
我在想阿迪的那个女孩儿
I was thinking about that girl of Artie’s…
斯凯弗小姐
that Miss Schaefer.
当我们刚冲入好莱坞的时候
She was so like all us writers
她是那么喜欢我们这些作家
when we first hit Hollywood…
我们都野心勃勃…
itching with ambition
急不可耐地想把自己的名字放在银幕上
panting to get your names up there.
某某创作的剧本 某某原创的故事
Screenplay by. Original story by.
观众们不知道 是某个人坐在那里写了这些东西
Audiences don’t know somebody sits down and writes a picture.
他们还以为是演员构思了这些
They think the actors make it up as they go along.
睁开眼吧
Open your eyes.
夫人 您的电♥话♥
Madame is wanted on the telephone.
你不知道现在不要打扰我吗
You know better than to interrupt me.
-派拉蒙的电♥话♥ -谁打的
– Paramount is calling. – Who?
派拉蒙公♥司♥
Paramount studios.
看看 相信我了吧
NoW! Now do you believe me?
我告诉你德米利会接受的
I told you DeMille would jump at it.
不是德米利先生本人
It is not Mr. DeMille in person.
是个叫戈登·科尔的 他说事情非常重要
It is someone called Gordon Cole. He says it is very important.
当然很重要啦
Certainly it’s important.
这么重要的事 德米利先生该亲自给我挂电♥话♥
It’s important enough for Mr. DeMille to call me personally.
现在竟然让一个助理给我打
The very idea of having some assistant call me!
说我很忙 然后挂掉
Say I’m busy and hang up!
就该这样 夫人
Very good, Madame.
你怎么看
How do you like that?
我们一起拍了12部电影 那是他最大的成功
We’ve made 12 pictures together. His greatest successes!
也许他在忙着拍片
Maybe he’s busy shooting.
我知道他的把戏
I know that trick!
他在装着轻视我 想砍低我的价钱
He’s trying to belittle me. He’s trying to get my price down.
等这个电♥话♥ 用了我20年的时间
I’ve waited 20 years for this call.
现在该让德米利等等啦 等到我感觉好了再说
Now DeMille can wait until I’m good and ready!
三天以后她觉得差不多是时候啦
About three days later she was good and ready.
看起来有些不可思议
Incredible as it may seem…
后来又从派拉蒙打来许多紧急的电♥话♥
there had been some more of those urgent calls from Paramount.
然后她涂了足有半磅的粉
So she put on about a half pound of makeup,
还带了张面纱…
fixed it up with a veil…
启程去去会晤德米利去啦
and set forth to see DeMille in person.
请原谅 夫人
Madame will pardon me.
左边的眼影有点重
The shadow over the left eye is not quite balanced.
谢谢 马♥克♥思♥
Thank you, Max.
不许按喇叭
Hold that noise!
我们要见德米利先生 打开门
To see Mr. DeMille. Open the gate.
德米利先生正在拍片 你们预约了吗
Mr. DeMille is shooting. You got an appointment?
不需要预约
No appointment necessary.
我车上是诺玛·德斯蒙德
I’m bringing Norma Desmond.

Norma who?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!