我手里有超过五千美元
I had more than $5,000 in my pocket
潘彭这匹马要参加比赛
and Pampoon was running in the Suburban.
我觉得这匹马不会输,我把所有钱都押给它
I figured he couldn’t lose. I put it all on his nose.
它却输了
He lost by a nose.
亲爱的,喝咖啡吧,免得凉了
Drink your coffee, honey, before it gets cold.
我觉得我就要时来运转了
The way I figure, my luck’s just gotta turn.
再过几天,我要干件大事,然后我就回老家
One of these days, I’ll make a real killing. Then I’m gonna head for home.
回老家后我首先去溪流中洗澡,把这座城市的污垢都洗掉
First thing when I get there, I take a bath in the creek and get this city dirt off me.
– 怎么了?- 没事,迪克斯,没事
– What’s the matter? – Nothing, Dix. Nothing. Nothing.
– 我说错什么了吗?- 没有
– I say something wrong? – No.
这地方一团糟,它需要好好清扫
But, gee, this place is a mess. It needs a good cleaning.
你怎么受得了如此生活?
How can you stand to live like this?
数数
Count it.
数数
Count it.
迪克斯,你不用一次性把赌注付清
Look, Dix. You don’t have to pay the whole tab at once.
全数数看
Go ahead and count it.
干嘛生气?没必要生气
Why get sore? There’s no reason to get sore.
你在陌生人面前挖苦我,试图贬低我
You boned me in front of a stranger, trying to make me look small.
我不是故意的,我这张嘴总说胡话,也许我喝醉了
I didn’t mean it. I shoot my mouth off. Maybe I had a slight load on.
– 你知道怎么回事- 不,我不这么认为
– You know how it is. – No. No, I don’t know how it is.
迪克斯
Look, Dix.
我犯了个错误,难道你从不犯错吗?
I made a mistake. Don’t you ever make a mistake?
是吧
Sure. Sure.
来,喝杯酒
Here, have a drink.
来吧
Here you are.
迪克斯,给你
There you are, Dix.
迪克斯,赌马要放聪明点
You know, Dix, you gotta play the horses the smart way.
省着用钱,下次有内部消息我会告诉你
Save your money. The next time there’s a fix going, I’ll let you know.
稳赚不赔,稳赚不赔
It’ll be money from home. Money from home.
失陪一下
Excuse me.
噢,是博士啊,快进来
Oh, it’s the Doc. Come on in, Doc.
来见见我的朋友,迪克斯·汉德利
Want you to meet a friend of mine. Dix Handley.
这位是瑞登施奈德博士
This is Doc Riedenschneider.
– 你听说过他,对吧?- 是的
– You heard of him, I guess, huh? – Yeah.
你觉得威士忌如何?从你家乡产的
Well, how’d you like the whiskey? Made in your home state.
噢,你家乡在哪里?
Oh. Where is that, sir?
肯塔基州,布恩县
Kentucky. Boone County, Kentucky.
– 有美国最好的淡水- 是吗?
– Best water in the USA. – Is that so?
是的,那里的水让威士忌更可口
Yeah, it’s the water makes the whiskey fit to drink.
好了…
Well…
我得走了,有机会再见
I gotta be going. I’ll see you around sometime maybe.
再见,迪克斯
So long, Dix.
乡巴佬
Big hick.
他的钱很好赚,但他的脾气太敏感
The color of his money’s all right, but I wish he wasn’t so touchy.
也许这就是他令人尊敬的品质,会对赌债负责
Maybe it’s a point of honor with him. A gambling debt.
他那恶棍令人尊敬?别让我笑掉大牙
Him? That hooligan? Honor? Don’t make me laugh.
– 你说他是个恶棍?- 对,但是不入流
– He’s a hooligan, you say? – Yeah, but a small-timer.
他只是抢劫香烟店、加油站,然后把所有钱拿去赌马
He’ll stick up cigar stores, gas stations. And every cent goes to the ponies.
无论如何,我们都有自己的恶习
One way or another, we all work for our vice.
博士,你也有恶习吧?你昨晚的约会如何?
What do you say, Doc? How was your date last night?
那个年轻女士喝得大醉,算不上好伴侣
The young lady drank too much to be good company.
但夜晚并未完全浪费,她说的话比她清醒时更多
But the evening wasn’t a complete loss. She talked more than if she’d been sober.
– 她说了什么?- 你的朋友埃默瑞克先生
– Yeah? What about? – Your friend Mr. Emmerich.
埃默瑞克?听着,博士
Emmerich? Now, look here, Doc.
这是笔五十万美元的大买♥♥卖♥♥,我得了解一切情况
There’s half a million at stake. I’ve got to know where I stand.
埃默瑞克出资我才能雇佣帮手
Emmerich must put up before I can hire a crew.
对他而言,这是小菜一碟
For him, it’s nothing. A dead cinch.
可昨晚的女士给我的信息是埃默瑞克破产了
The information she gave me is that he’s broke.
你疯了吗?
Are you crazy?
我跟埃默瑞克先生打交道二十年了,他只接手大案子
I’ve seen Mr. Emmerich operate for 20 years. He handles only the biggest cases.
他有两栋房♥子,四辆车,半打佣人
He’s got two houses, four cars, a half a dozen servants.
– 还包养了一个金发美女- 博士!
– And one blond. – Doc!
你相信谁的话?我的还是那个愚蠢小妞的?
Whose word you gonna take? Mine or some dim-witted dame?
当然相信你的
Yours, naturally.
如果他破产了,那我也想要像他那样破产
If he’s broke, I wanna be broke the same way.
警长!警长!
Lieutenant! Lieutenant!
你在我办公室看见的那个人,他只是路过
That guy you saw in my office, he’s just passing through.
闭嘴,我没看见任何人,我怎么可能?我没来过这里
Shut up. I didn’t see anybody. How could I? I wasn’t here.
对,是…是这样的
Yeah, that — that’s right. That’s right.
– 听着…- 什么事?
– Look, uh… – Yeah?
我只是来通知你,你这里会有一次突击搜捕
I just came to tell you that, uh, you’ll have to stand still for a raid.
你的意思是要拉我去警局里审讯?
You mean you have to haul me downtown and book me?
– 去警局的路程很短- 我以为你是我的朋友!
– It’s a short ride. – I thought you were a friend of mine!
现在我迪崔克唯一的朋友是我自己
Right now I’ve got one friend — Ditrich.
如果我迪崔克不做些抓捕行动,我就自身难保
And Ditrich’s going to be out on his ear if he don’t make a showing.
– 但为什么是我?为什么抓我?- 因为这才符合常理
– All right, but why me? Why pick on me? – Because it’s logic.
你的赌注登记场所是我辖区内最大的
You’re the biggest parlor in my precinct.
市民们知道,报社们知道,连我也知道
The citizens know it, the newspapers know it, and even I know it.
警♥察♥局长也知道我知道
And that Mr. Commissioner knows I know it.
我只是讨厌所发生的事
I just hate to have it happen. I just hate it, that’s all.
– 我也很抱歉- 警长,听着
– I’m as sorry as you are. – Look, Lieutenant.
我已经跟你合作这么久了
I’ve always given you plenty of cooperation.
但现在抓我真的不是时候
But you’re hitting me at just the wrong time.
那好吧
Well, all right.
关紧门
Close up tight.
不要开灯,不要接任何电♥话♥
Keep the place dark. Don’t answer any phones.
多谢了,警长
Thanks, Lieutenant.
多谢了
Thanks.
那个臭警♥察♥认出我了
That copper, he recognized me.
– 你怎么知道他是臭警♥察♥?- 我离一街区就能闻出来
– How’d you know he was a copper? – I can smell one a block off.
别担心迪崔克,他收了我的黑钱,算是合伙人
Don’t worry about Ditrich. He’s on my payroll. Practically a partner.
我和他是一根绳上的蚂蚱
Me and him, we’re like that.
经验教导我永远别相信警♥察♥
Experience has taught me never to trust a policeman.
当你觉得他靠得住时,他就会背后捅刀
Just when you think one’s all right, he turns legit.
– 布兰姆先生来了- 对,让他进来
– A Mr. Brannom is here. – Oh, yes, show him in.
先生,还有件事,埃默瑞克夫人身体不舒服
Pardon me, sir. Mrs. Emmerich is not feeling well.
知道了,通知豪斯曼医生来
Yes, well, send for Dr. Houseman.
– 我已经通知了,先生- 很好
– I already have, sir. – Good.
告诉我太太…
Tell her I, uh…
说我稍后上楼见她
Say I’ll be up to see her later.
我的欠债者们如何?有多少人还钱?
Well, what about my debtors? How many of them came through?
– 没有一个- 什么?
– Not a one. – What’s that?
你想知道所有的借口吗?有些借口很精彩
You want all the excuses? I’ve got some beauts.
情况那么糟糕?
As bad as that, eh?
有两、三个人会还一部分钱,他们保证了
Two or three may come through with a part. They promised.
我不要保证,我只要现钱
I don’t want promises. I want cash.
朋友,听着,私♥家♥侦♥探♥不能威胁人
Look, my friend, a private detective can’t go around threatening people.
否则我会失去执照
I’d lose my license.
九♥成♥八的人你只能起诉他们
Ninety-eight percent of them you’re gonna have to sue.
没有时间了,我…
There’s no time for that. I…
我需要钱,我现在就需要钱
I gotta have money. I gotta have it this minute.
怎么回事?因为你那个金发女孩?
What is it? Girl trouble?
布兰姆,闭嘴!这不好笑
Shut up, Brannom! That’s not funny.
什么?没人敢叫我闭嘴
How’s that? Nobody tells me to shut up.
鲍勃,对不起
I’m sorry, Bob.
鲍勃,我…
Bob, I…
我破产了
I’m broke.
这是个简单明了的事实
There. Th-That’s the plain, simple fact.
我完蛋了,我倒闭了
I’m finished. I’m bankrupt.
你怎么会让安吉拉这种女人把你整到破产?
How could you let a dame like Angela take you this way?
不是安吉拉的错,是这一切,是我的奢侈生活造成的
It’s not Angela. It’s everything. It’s my whole way of life.
我每次开销都要花费数千美元
Every time I turn around, it costs thousands of dollars —
这里花一万美元,那里花一万美元
10,000 here, 10,000 there.
我必须…我必须脱身
I got… I gotta get out.
我必须彻底脱身
I gotta get out from under.
讽刺的是我现在有个机遇,但我却抓不住
And the irony of it is that I’ve got an opportunity and I can’t take it.
很艰难
Tough.
鲍勃
Bob.
我会让你大吃一惊
I’m gonna hand you the shock of a lifetime.
你听说过瑞登施奈德博士吗?
Did you ever hear of Doc Riedenschneider?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!