“总有骄阳”
在世界的其他部分
In other parts of the world
年轻人背井离乡
young men leave home and travel far and wide…
不惜千里迢迢寻找美好的前景
in search of a promising future.
旅途都充满着趋吉避凶的梦想
Their journeys are often fueled by dreams of triumphing over evil
期求觅得真爱
finding a great love…
或者希望轻易致富
or the hope of fortunes easily made.
但在圣云诗这个穷乡僻壤
Here in St. Cloud’s,
连决定下火车也不轻易
not even the decision to get off the train is easily made
因为作出抉择需要早一些
for it requires an earlier,
自然更觉困难
more difficult decision–
不是在命中多了个孩子
add a child to your life or leave one behind.
就是把孩子舍弃
长途跋涉来这里只有一个原因 :
The only reason people journey here
找孤儿院
is for the orphanage.
早安
Good morning.
我们是约好了的
We have an appointment.
对, 请进来
Yes. Come in.
欢迎光临圣云诗
Welcome to St. Cloud’s.
我们上楼见见黎治医生吧
We’re going right upstairs to see Dr. Larch.
我来的时候是个医生
I came as a physician
是为了被遗弃的孩子
to the abandoned children…
和不幸的怀孕妇女
and unhappily pregnant women.
我本来希望做英雄
I had hoped to become a hero.
可惜圣云诗没有这个职位
But in St. Cloud’s, there was no such position.
在这个孤儿的世界里
In the lonely, sordid world of lost children
是找不到英雄的
there were no heroes to be found.
所以我照顾很多不幸的人
And so I became the caretaker of many
依然膝下无儿
father of none.
在某方面倒有一个
Well, in a way, there was one.
他来了
Here he is.
他名叫井荷马
His name was Homer Wells.
我用希腊大诗人给他命名
I named him after the Greek writer.
你们都知道荷马是谁吧?
You know, Homer, of course?
我给他改的姓是个井字
And I made his name Wells
因为我可以看得出
because I could tell he was…
他是很深沉的
very deep.
其实是安琪拉护士替他改姓的
In truth, Nurse Angela named him.
她的父亲倒是钻井的
Her father drilled wells,
她以前有一只猫也叫做荷马
and she once owned a cat named Homer.
再见, 荷马
Bye-bye, Homer.
你们这群缅因皇子, 晚安
Good night, you Princes of Maine,
我们可以见见医生吗?
Can we see the doctor?
你们这些新英伦的皇帝
you Kings of New England.
医生, 医生
Doctor? Doctor?
他有点不对劲
There’s something wrong with him.
他是不会出声的
He never makes a sound.
他没有哭过
He didn’t cry.
孤儿都明白到哭也没有用
Orphan babies learn there’s no point in it.
我们可以看看另一个不同的吗?
Do you think we could have a look at someone a little different?
就这样井荷马就被送回来了
Thus was Homer Wells returned.
他婴儿时太开心了
He was too happy a baby.
再见, 荷马
Bye, Homer.
第二个收养他的家庭
The second family to adopt
倒有本领令荷马出声
him had a gift for getting sounds out of Homer.
他们打他
They beat him.
他自然哭个不停
He couldn’t stop crying.
没事啦
It’s okay now.
不会再有人伤害你了
Nobody’s gonna hurt you anymore.
我在圣云诗一直考虑到每条细则
Here in St. Cloud’s, I try to consider with each rule I make or break…
最重要的还是孤儿院的前途
that my first priority is an orphan’s future.
两次被人收养, 两次都送回来
Twice adopted, twice returned.
真是不祥之兆
It didn’t bode well.
而我深深感到的是
And yet it was always clear to me
他很异乎寻常
that he was a special boy.
近着肋骨
Near the angle of the rib. And-
我一直考虑的荷马的前途
It was with Homer’s future in mind…
荷马?
Homer?
于是我开始教他
that I began his tutorials.
你若想待在圣云诗的话
If you’re going to stay at St. Cloud’s
我希望你会有点用
I expect you to be of use.
我承认部分课程
I admit that our lessons were, in part
都流露出父爱
the simple expression of a father’s love. Homer.
我没法让他感到孤儿院是他的家
But in failing to withhold love and making the orphanage his home
我是否制♥造♥了一个真正的孤儿呢
had I created a true and everlasting orphan?
继续呼吸, 你没事的
No! Keep breathing. You’re gonna be okay.
我的优秀学生
And so my excellent pupil learned
都学会了照顾被遗弃的孩子
to look after abandoned children…
还学会了给弃婴接生
and to deliver unwanted babies.
放松些
Relax!
以前有一段时间
Long ago, I had decided that sometimes…
我认为需要接生的是女人
it was the women who needed to be delivered.
我选择了我的人生路途
I chose my own path.
但却没有人替井荷马选择
No one would ever choose for Homer Wells.
缅因州圣云诗 1943年3月
St. Cloud’s, Maine, March 1943
黎治医生
Dr. Larch!
黎治医生
Dr. Larch?
我们有两个病人
We have two new patients.
一个需要接生
One to deliver.
来啦
Coming.
第一次怀孕
First pregnancy?
是, 两个都是
Yes, for both.
我还以为你想亲自接生
I presume you’d prefer handling the delivery?
我说过我不会堕胎的
All I said was, I don’t wanna perform abortions.
你来做堕胎手术我倒不会争辩
I have no argument with you performing them.
你懂得怎样帮这些女士的
You know how to help these women.
她们没法在别的地方得到帮助
How can you not feel obligated to help them
你怎可以不加援手呢?
when they can’t get help anywhere else?
一: 这是不合法的
One: It’s illegal.
二: 我不曾叫过你教我做
Two: I didn’t ask how to do it.
一直以来都是你做给我看
You just showed me.
我还有什么可以教你呢?
What else could I have shown you, Homer?
我唯一懂得的都传授给你了
The only thing I can teach you is what I know.
你一生人总得有点用吧
In any life, you have to be of use.
有用?有用
Of use? Of use.
卡娜, 做得好
That was good, Carla.
很完美
That was perfect.
一切都顺利了
Everything’s gonna be fine.
我不想看到!
I don’t wanna see it.
你用不着看到婴孩的, 可别担心
You don’t have to see it, dear. Don’t worry.
我连婴孩的性别也不想知道
I don’t even wanna know what sex it is,
别告诉我
so don’t tell me!
我们不会告诉你
We won’t tell you.
你没事的
You’re gonna be okay.
你的婴孩也不没事啦
Your baby’s gonna be okay too.
我不想知道
I don’t wanna know!
倒是个健硕的男婴
That’s a big boy.
让我看看, 我想见见他
Let me see him. I wanna see him.
你不介意陪我到育婴室吧
Would you mind joining me in the nursery?
好啦
Okay.
想收养孩子的夫妇在办公室等你
Wilbur, the adopting couple is waiting in your office.
人生就是不断的等待
Life is waiting.
叫他们等吧
Let ’em wait.
名单在哪?
Where’s the name sheet?
还未有人用这个名字
Uh, nobody’s named this one yet.
轮到我了
Oh, it’s my turn.
你就叫小多莉吧
Henceforth, you shall be Little Dorrit.
不, 你也不会喜欢吧?
No, you don’t like that, do you?
他是个男孩子嘛
He’s a boy, that’s why.
男孩子不可以名叫多莉吗?
Can’t a boy be a Dorrit?
我觉得不好嘛
I don’t think so.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!