(爱丽丝·克劳斯,摩洛哥公♥司♥ 芝加哥)
听着,卡普斯是强硬的人,但也是个大话精
Listen… Capps is a tough guy, but he’s also a blowhard.
(由马丁·科津斯基、鲍勃·拉姆负责)
喜欢吹嘘自己交游广阔
Loves to give the impression that he’s connected.
以为那样很有派头
Thinks it’s glamorous.
他说过一些话
He said a couple of things.
你快要考执业试了 这是一条选择题
You’re about to take the bar exam. Here’s a multiple choice.
避税和逃税的区别是:
The difference between tax avoidance and tax evasion is…
A,税局说什么就什么
A) whatever the lRS says…
B,一个聪明的律师
B) a smart lawyer…
C,十年监禁
C) ten years in prison;…
D,以上全部
D) all the above.
税务律师跟法律没有关系,它是一场游戏
Being a tax lawyer’s got nothing to do with the law.
我们教有钱人怎样玩它,让他们可以继续富有
We teach the rich how to play it, so they can stay rich.
税局改变条例,我们可以继续借教他们来赚钱
The lRS changes the rules, so we can keep getting rich, teaching them.
是一场游戏,要玩得十分精明
It’s a game. One you just played very, very well.
– 你的啤酒呢? – 我还是等喝朗姆酒好了
– Where’s your beer? – I decided to wait for the rum.
– 听说这里的很好喝 – 这里所有的东西都好
– I hear it’s good down here. – Everything’s good down here.
你应值得尝尽它
You deserve a taste of all of it.
既然我们来到这个岛,我们可以做些事的
Since we’re here on this island, there’s things we can do on it.
原始的事,来吧,是你应得的
You know, primitive things. Come on, you deserve it.
我无意令你难堪,但这事不会发生的
I don’t mean to hurt your feelings, but this isn’t gonna happen.
麻烦你告诉我的朋友我返回公♥寓♥去了
Would you tell my friend I went back to the condo?
谢谢你
Thanks, anyway.
你没事吧?不要紧的,等一会
Are you all right? That’s OK. Just wait a minute.
等一会,我可以看一下吗?
Wait a minute. Can I look at this?
你又不是医生
You’re not a doctor.
但我扭伤过很多足踝
No, but I sprained a lot of ankles.
大多是我的足踝
Mostly mine.
你该用冰敷着,还该报♥警♥
You should ice this. You should also report that guy.
他是你的男朋友?
That was your boyfriend.
那是为了钱
That was for money.
– 你不是要包扎好它吗? – 对不起
– Aren’t you going to finish? – I’m sorry.
– 事情是… – 跟我无关
– The thing that’s阿班克斯 – …got nothing to do with me.
– 是不是太紧? – 不是
– Is this too tight? – No.
我在旅行社工作
I work in a travel agency.
我想觉得像那些人一样
I wanted to feel like all those people…
坐头等机位和穿漂亮衣服
…with first class tickets and pretty clothes.
我想觉得…
I guess I wanted to feel…
像有钱人
…rich.
怎样才觉得有钱?
How much would it take to feel rich?
我不知道
I don’t know.
怎样才觉得安全?
How much would it take to feel safe?
你已经做了
You did that.
你令我觉得安全
You made me feel safe.
你可否陪我一会儿?
Will you stay with me for a while?
不如你下午放假吧,你应得的
Why don’t you take the afternoon off? You deserve it.
陪你那位漂亮的太太…该死,我忘了她昨晚打过电♥话♥来
Spend it with that pretty wife of yours. Shit, I forgot. She phoned last night.
– 你对她说什么? – 说你在海滩散步
– What did you tell her? – That you were walking on the beach.
– 我是的 – 我猜对了,是吗?
– I was. – I guessed right then. Didn’t I?
麦克迪尔先生,请在交叉的位置上签名
OK, Mr. McDeere. Sign where the “X” is.
还有在记号♥上签首个字母
And initial where it’s marked.
“绅士”杂♥志♥的人来了
Well, well… The man from Gentlemen’s Quarterly.
– 雷,你好吗? – 很好,你呢?
– How are you doing, Ray? – Pretty fair. How’s yourself?
– 很久了 – 不要紧
– It’s a long time. – It’s OK.
我变成一个有忍♥耐力的人了
I’ve become a patient man.
别勉强自己。要不是我在这里,我也不愿进来
Don’t beat yourself up, kid. If I wasn’t here, I wouldn’t want to be here either.
– 有没有和妈联络? – 几个月前有的
– You ever talk to Ma? – A few months ago.
– 还是跟着那个家伙? – 都是那个家伙
– Still with the same guy? – They’re all the same guy.
– 念完法律没有? – 念完了
– So, you finished law school? – Yeah.
那套西装很有派头
That suit’s a dead giveaway.
你在华尔街找到工作了?
Did you get a job on Wall Street?
– 你常说… – 我没有,我只是…
– You always said- – No, I’m not. I just–
我加入了一间在孟菲斯的律师行
I went with a firm across the river in Memphis.
– 孟菲斯? – 雷…
– Memphis? – Hey, Ray…
我进了哈佛而你进了监狱
Wouldn’t it be funny if I went to Harvard and you went to jail…
最终我们周围也是骗子,这可笑吗?
and we both ended up surrounded by crooks?
桑尼·卡普斯很兴奋。麦克迪尔眼花撩乱
Sonny Capps is thrilled. McDeere was dazzling.
我们该取消拉马尔去华盛顿的税务研讨会,改派米奇去
We ought to pull Lamar out of that tax seminar in D.C. Send Mitch instead.
让他坐公♥司♥的飞机。比尔,可有问题?
Let him take the jet. Any problem with that, Bill?
没问题,到目前为止,那个小子真的是可以预料
No problem. So far, the kid’s been real predictable.
即使你对了一半,也需要人帮助的
If you’re even half right, you’re gonna need some help.
艾比觉得怎样?
What does Abby think?
我没有告诉她
I haven’t told her.
我想…我不想它是事实
I guess… I guess I don’t want it to be real.
我告诉艾比时才算是事实
Nothing’s real until I tell it to Abby.
你有个坐牢的哥哥,怎会找到工作?
How’d you ever land a job with a brother in the joint?
不要紧,换了是我也会那样做
That’s OK. I’d a done the same thing myself.
爸去世之后,多年来你一直照顾我
You’re always around for me, Ray. All those years after Dad died.
我也会那样做
I’d a done the same.
你以为我会对这里的人说我有个念哈佛的弟弟吗?
Think I’d ever tell guys around here I got a brother at Harvard?
我想你去见我一个朋友,他名叫埃迪·罗马克斯
Listen, I want you to see a friend of mine. His name’s Eddie Lomax.
他在小石城当私♥家♥侦♥探♥,是个前任警员
He’s a private investigator in Little Rock. Ex-cop.
– 有什么我可以为你做? – 有,帮我离开这里
– Anything I can do for you? – Sure. Get me out of here.
– 去哪里? – 可以看见大♥片♥天空的地方
– Where to? – Anywhere I’ll see a whole lot of sky.
我可以熬过那些日子,甚至吃得下那些食物
I can get through the days. I even eat the food.
我那样怀念天空真是奇怪
It’s amazing how much I miss the sky.
有没有试过插了掣,却忘了放水进去?
Ever plug one of these in only you forgot to put the water in?
– 没有 – 可知道会有什么事发生?
– No. – You know what happens?
– 不知道 – 电灯全熄了
– No. – The lights go out.
你打过电♥话♥来后他一直渴望见你
He’s been dying to see you since you called.
我就是看见那个!塔米!
That’s what I saw. Tammy!
罗马克斯先生可以见你了
Mr. Lomax will see you now.
麦克迪尔先生,我几乎跟你一起去念法律
Mr. McDeere. I practically went to law school with you.
三年臭气冲天的日子里,雷每天都说起你
Ray talked about you every stinkin’ day for three years.
他对你说我曾是他的狱友?他可有说是决定强♥奸♥罪?
I was his cellmate, he must have told you. Did he tell you,by the way, it was statutory rape?
她那时十七岁,看似二十五岁。我判了一至四年
She was 17. Look ed 25. I got one to four.
来,坐下。要代糖?牛奶?沙糖?
Sit down. Come on. Sweet ‘n Low? Dairy cream? Sugar?
我想跟你谈一下生意
I got some business I’d like to go over with you.
– 好的,我欠你哥哥一命 – 我走了
– Good. I owe your brother my life. – I’m leaving.
谢谢你,亲爱的。那是我的秘书,她很棒
Thank you, dear. That’s my secretary. She is terrific.
她嫁了个笨蛋,是个货车司机
She’s got a nutcase for a husband. He’s a truckdriver…
他搬来这里想接近猫王故居。他以为自己是猫王
who moved here to be close to Graceland. He thinks he’s Elvis.
可知道他叫什么?就是埃尔维斯韩亚伦
What do you think his name is? It’s Elvis. Elvis Aaron Henfield.
我做这份工作,遇到很多怪事
I run across strange things in this job.
一些我不会用喷漆在天桥上喷出来的事
Things I would never spray paint on an overpass.
有什么为你效劳?
Now, what can I do for you?
– 真是个惊喜! – 埃弗里!
– What a nice surprise! – Avery!
– 他们不用打扰你的 – 相信我,没有打扰
– They didn’t have to disturb you. – Believe me, it’s no bother.
我来找米奇。妮娜说他整个下午都不在
I was just looking for Mitch. Nina says he hasn’t been in all afternoon.
我没有叫她去找你的。他没有跟你一起回来吗?
I didn’t mean for her to call you. Didn’t he come back with you?
我要老实告诉你。这不是我专长的范畴
I’ll be honest with you. This is not my area of expertise.
– 但你觉得有可能吗? – 什么事都有可能
– But you think it’s possible? – Anything’s possible.
我对你说,如果那两个在牛排餐馆的人是联邦密探
I’ll tell you one thing. If those guys at the steak joint were Feds,
你就要警惕了。他们不会在乎你的
you’d better watch out. They don’t give a damn about you.
我这里有几个很火光的丈夫
I get some pretty pissed off husbands in here.
另一方面,你公♥司♥的律师们看来很易发生事故
On the other hand, the lawyers at your firm seem “accident-prone”.
好的,我看看可以找到什么吧
OK, I’ll see what I can find out.
最好还是由我找你
You had better let me call you.
你真的令我想起你的哥哥
You sure remind me of your brother.
雷很快会被假释了
Ray comes up for parole in a while.
他说可以持续下去的。你认为怎样?
He says that he can last it. What do you think?
有些人可以熬得过州政♥府♥判他的刑期
There’s guys who can do all the hard time the state gives ’em.
无论雷判了多久,他也熬不下去了
Whatever Ray had, he used up to get this far.
– 我以为你不在家 – 为什么?
– I didn’t think you were home. – Why not?
– 没有车 – 我拿了去维修
– No car. – I took it in for service.
– 是吗? – 埃弗里送我回家的
– Did you? – Avery brought me home.
– 我去过公♥司♥找你 – 我不在
– Went to the office looking for you. – I wasn’t there.
看来是的。我甚至在你的台底找过
Apparently not. I even looked under your desk.
埃弗里说你去了孟菲斯州立大学的法律图书馆
Avery told me you were at M.S.U. at the law library.
– 埃弗里说的? – 埃弗里说的
– Avery did? – Avery did.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!