一直想编出个理由 …
that would explain my being here dressed like this.
向你们解释我这身打扮出现的原因 …
And I wanted to come up with a story that would demonstrate qualities…
想编出个故事说明我身上
that I’m sure you all admire here, like earnestness or diligence.
拥有你们所欣赏的优点… 比如诚实 勤奋 …
Team playing, something. And I couldn’t think of anything.
团队精神等等 结果我却什么都想不出来
So the truth is…
事实是
I was arrested for failure to pay parking tickets.
因为没能付清停车罚单 我被拘留了 …
Parking tickets?
罚单? 什么?
And I ran all the way here from the Polk Station, the police station.
我是从警差局… 警察局一路跑来的
What were you doing before you were arrested?
被拘留前你在干什么?
I was painting my apartment.
我在粉刷我的家
Is it dry now?
现在干了吗?
I hope so.
希望如此
Jay says you’re pretty determined.
杰说你一心想进我们公司
He’s been waiting outside the front of the building…
没错 他拎着个40磅重的玩意儿
with some 40 pound gizmo for over a month.
在公司门口等了一个多月了 …
He said you’re smart. Well, I like to think so.
他说你很聪明 我自认是有些
And you want to learn this business? Yes, sir, I wanna learn.
你想学这行? 是的 先生 我想学
Have you already started learning on your own?
已经开始自学了吗?
Absolutely.
当然
Jay? Yes, sir.
杰 是的 先生
How many times have you seen Chris?
你见过克里斯多少回?
I don’t know. One too many, apparently.
我不清楚 好多次了吧 应该
Was he ever dressed like this? No.
他有穿戴成这样吗? 不
No. Jacket and tie.
没有 都是西装领带
First in your class in school?
克里斯 你在班上是第一名?
High school? Yes, sir.
高中? 是的 先生
How many in the class? Twelve.
班上一共多少人? 12人
It was a small town.
那是个小镇
I’ll say. But I was also first in my radar class…
我就说嘛 我在海军服役时是雷达班的第一名
in the Navy, and that was a class of 20.
那个班里有20人 …
Can I say something?
我能说几句吗?
I’m the type of person…
呃…我是这样的人
if you ask me a question, and I don’t know the answer…
如果你问的问题我不知道答案 …
I ‘m gonna tell you that I don’t know.
我会直接告诉你”我不知道” …
But I bet you what.
但我向你保证
I know how to find the answer, and I will find the answer.
我知道如何寻找答案 而且我一定会找出答案的
Is that fair enough?
这样可以吗?
Chris.
克里斯
What would you say
如果有个人连衬衫都没穿
if a guy walked in for an interview without a shirt on…
就跑来参加面试 你会怎么想?
and I hired him? What would you say?
如果我最后还雇了这个人 你会怎么想? …
He must’ve had on some really nice pants.
那他穿的裤子一定十分考究
Chris, I don’t know how you did it dressed as a garbage man…
克里斯 我难以理解你穿成这样来面试
but you pulled it off. Thank you, Mr. Twistle.
但是你刚才的表现很不错 谢谢 托斯特尔先生 …
Hey, now you can call me Jay. We’ll talk to you soon.
现在开始叫我杰 回来聊
All right, so I’ll let you know, Jay.
好的 我会给你答复的 杰
You’ll let me know, Jay”? What do you mean?
给我答复? 什么意思? ”
Yeah, I’ll give you a call tomorrow sometime…
我明天会给你电话的
What are you talking…? You hounded me for this.
你说什么? 是你找我的
You stood here… Listen, there’s no salary.
你当时就站在那里… 实习期没有工资
No. I was not aware of that.
没有 我并不知道没有工资
My circumstances have changed some…
现在我的处境变了
and I need to be certain that I’ll be… All right. Okay.
我需要确定我能… 好的 …
Tonight.
今晚给我答复
I swear I will fill your spot. I promise.
如果你不把握这机会 我马上给别人
If you back out, you know what I’ll look like to the partners?
如果你现在放弃 你知道股东会怎么看我吗?
Yes, an ass…A hole.
知道 把你看成混蛋
Yeah, an ass A hole, all the way.
是啊 把我看成混蛋 肯定是的
You are a piece of work.
你还真不简单啊
Tonight.
今晚给我答复
There was no salary.
没有工资
Not even a reasonable promise of a job.
甚至连工作都没有保证
One intern was hired at the end of the program from a pool of 20.
实习结束时 20人中只有1人受雇
And if you werert that guy…
如果受雇的那人不是你的话
you couldn’t even apply the six months’ training…
这6个月的培训还不适用于… …
to another brokerage.
其他经纪公司 …
The only resource I would have for six months…
这6个月里 我的经济来源…
would be my six scanners, which I could still try to sell.
就是那6台扫描仪 我还能继续推销那玩意 …
If I sold them all, maybe we might get by.
如果能全卖掉的话 也许我们能熬过去
I got him. I got him. He’s asleep.
我来 我来 他睡着了
All right.
好吧
Okay, baby.
到了 宝贝
I got it.
我拿着了
I’m going to New York.
我要去纽约了
My sister’s boyfriend…
我妹妹的男朋友…
opened a restaurant, and they may have a job for me there.
开了家餐厅 可能会给我份工作 …
So I’m going to New York, Chris.
我要去纽约了 克里斯
Christopher’s staying with me.
克里斯托弗和我一起
I’m his mom, you know?
我是他妈妈啊
He should be with his mom.
他应该和他妈妈在一起的
I should have him, right?
他应该和我在一起 对吗?
You know you can’t take care of him.
你知道你照顾不了他的
What are you gonna do for money?
那你怎么挣钱?
I had an interview at Dean Witter for an internship…
我去迪安·维特公司参加了个实习面试
and I got it.
我被录取了 …
So I’m gonna stand out in my program.
所以我会开始接受培训
Salesman to interrs backwards.
从推销员倒退到实习生?
No, it’s not.
不 不是
I gotta go.
我得走了
Tell him I love him, okay?
告诉他我爱他 好吗?
And…
还有…
I know you’ll take care of him, Chris.
我知道你会照顾好他的 克里斯
I know that.
我知道的
Dean Witter. Yes, hi.
迪安·维特公司 你好
Yes, I’d like to leave a message for Mr. Jay Twistle.
呃…我要给杰·托斯特尔先生留言
Your name? Yeah, my name is Chris Gardner.
你的名字? 我叫克里斯·迦纳
The message is:
留言是:
Thank you very much for inviting me into the program.
非常感谢邀请我参加培训
I really appreciate it
真的感谢您
and I’d be very pleased to accept your invitation.
我非常高兴接受您的邀请
Is that all?
就这些吗?
Yes, that’s it.
对 就这些
Okay. Thank you.
好的 谢谢
Bye.
再见
Be careful with that. What?
小心点 什么?
Be care…Go ahead.
小心…走吧
Are we there? Yep.
到了吗? 是的
Hey, you know what today is? Yeah.
嘿 知道今天周几吗? 知道
What? Saturday.
周几? 周六
You know what Saturday is, right? Yeah.
你知道周六要干什么 是吧? 知道
What? Basketball.
干什么? 打篮球
You wanna go play some basketball? Okay.
想去打篮球吗? 好啊
All right, then we’re gonna go sell a bone density scanner.
好的 之后我们去卖骨质扫描仪 怎么样?
How about that? Wanna do that? No.
好吗? 不好
Hey, Dad. I’m going pro.
嘿 老爸 我要当职业篮球员
I’m going pro.
我要当职业篮球员
Okay.
哦…呃…
Yeah, I don’t know, you know.
这可不好说…
You’ll probably be about as good as I was.
你大概会和我以前水平一样糟
That’s kind of the way it works, you know. I was below average.
有其父必有其子嘛 我当时篮球就处于平均水平之下
You know, so you’ll probably ultimately rank…
所以大概你的最终水平…
somewhere around there, you know, so…
也就和我一样 所以 …
I really…You’ll excel at a lot of things, just not this.
你在很多方面都很优秀 但是在篮球上不是 …
I don’t want you shooting this ball all day and night.
所以我不希望你就这么在这整晚的练习投篮
All right? All right.
知道了吗? 好吧
Okay.
好的
All right, go ahead.
好吧 走吧
Hey.

Don’t ever let somebody tell you…
别让别人告诉你
you can’t do something.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!