My wife, Madeleine,
她有几件属于卡洛特的珠宝首饰
Has several pieces of jewelry that belonged to Carlotta.
她继承的财产
She inherited them.
从未带过 都太过时了
Never wore them. They were too old-fashioned.
直至现在
Until now.
现在 当她独处的时候 她会拿出来看
Now, when she’s alone, she takes them out and looks at them,
好奇地 小心翼翼地触摸着它们
Handles them gently, curiously.
将它们戴上并凝视着镜子里的自己
Puts them on and stares at herself in the mirror.
进入另一世界 又变成另一个人
And goes into that other world, is someone else again.
那么 卡洛特·瓦尔德斯是谁
Now, Carlotta Valdes was what?
你太太的祖母?
Your wife’s grandmother?
曾祖母
Great-grandmother.
那个被带走的小孩
Now, the child who was taken from her,
那个使卡洛特疯掉并自杀的小孩
Whose loss drove Carlotta mad and to her death,
是玛德琳的祖母
Was Madeleine’s grandmother.
还有麦奇垂克宾馆是老瓦尔德斯的家
And the Mckittrick Hotel is the old Valdes home.
我想那就说得通了
Well, I think that explains it.
任何人对那样的过去都会沉迷
Anyone could become obsessed with the past with a background like that.
她从未听过卡洛特·瓦尔德斯的事
She never heard of Carlotta Valdes.
她对多罗雷天主堂外的坟墓
She knows nothing of a grave out at the Mission Dolores?
或者埃迪大街上的老房♥子都一无所知?
Or that old house on Eddy street? The…
-还有旧金山荣勋宫的画像… -都不知道
– The portrait at the Palace of the Legion of…- Nothing.
当她去这些地方的时候…
Well, when she goes to these places…
她就不再是我的妻子了
She’s no longer my wife.
她不知道的事 你怎么会知道
Well, how do you know all these things she doesn’t?
她母亲临终前告诉了我一些
Her mother told me most of them before she died.
其余的是我自己发现的
I dug out the rest for myself here.
她为什么不告诉她女儿
Why wouldn’t she tell her daughter?
本能的恐惧
Natural fear.
她的祖母患精神病自杀的
Her grandmother went insane, took her own life.
玛德琳的身体里留着她的血
Her blood is in Madeleine.
老兄 我得喝一杯
Boy, I need this.
玛德琳
Madeleine.
玛德琳
Madeleine!
喂?
Yes?
没 没事
No, it’s all right.
好 我再打给你吧
Yeah, I’ll call you back.
你没事吧
Are you all right?
你的…
Oh. Oh, your…
你先穿睡袍吧
You’ll want this.
你最好过来取取暖
You’d better come over here by the fire where it’s warm.
我怎么会在这儿
What am I doing here?
发生什么事了
What happened?
你掉进了旧金山海湾
Well, you fell into San Francisco Bay.
我已经尽量弄干♥你♥的头发了
And I tried to dry your hair as best I could.
你的东西都在厨房♥
Your things are in the kitchen.
过一会儿就会干了
They’ll be dry in a few minutes.
过来取取暖吧
Come on over by the fire.
我给你拿些坐垫
Here, I’ll get you some cushions.
坐吧
There you are.
要喝点咖啡吗
Would you like to have some coffee?
你最好喝点什么 或许你想喝杯酒
Here, you’d better have some. Or perhaps you’d like a drink.
我掉进了海湾 你救我起来的?
I fell into the bay and you fished me out?

That’s right.
谢谢
Thank you.
你不记得了吗
You don’t remember?
不记得了 我…
No, I…
你记得去过哪儿吗
You remember where you were?
为什么这么问 记得 我当然记得
Why, yes. Yes, of course I remember that.
不过我肯定是头晕昏过去了
But then I must have had a dizzy spell and fainted.
你去过哪儿
Where were you?
去了普西迪的古堡
At old fort point, out at the Presidio.
我当然记得 我经常去那儿
Of course, I remember. I often go there.
为什么 你为什么要去那儿
Why? Why do you go there?
因为我喜欢 那儿很漂亮
Because I love it so. It’s beautiful there,
尤其是在日落时分
Especially at sunset.
谢谢你的炉火
Thank you for the fire.
之前你去了哪儿
Where were you before?
-什么时候 -我是说 今天下午
– When? – This afternoon, I mean.
到处闲逛
Wandering about.
我知道 但之前你具体去了哪儿
I know, but where? Where were you just before?
商业区 购物
Downtown, shopping.
给 你最好喝点咖啡 我想咖啡还热的
Here, you’d better have some coffee. I think it’s still warm.
你问得很直接
You’re terribly direct in your questions.
对不起 我不是有意那么不礼貌的
Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to be rude.
没有 只不过太直接了
You’re not. You’re merely direct.
你在古堡那儿做什么
And what were you doing there, at old fort point?
到处闲逛罢了
Oh, just wandering about.
你也喜欢闲逛?
Oh, you like it too?
是啊
Yes.
之前你去过哪儿
And where had you been just before?
旧金山荣勋宫 美术馆
I’d been to the Palace of the Legion of Honor, the art gallery.
那是个美丽的地方 不是吗
Oh, yes, that’s a lovely spot, isn’t it?
我从未进去过
I’ve never been inside,
但开车经过 它看起来是那么的美丽
But it looks so lovely driving past.
你到处闲逛却救了我一命
It’s lucky for me you were wandering about.
谢谢
Thank you.
我真是太麻烦您了
I’ve been a terrible bother to you.
不 没关系
No, you haven’t.
你…
Oh, when you…
我头发上有些发簪
There were some pins in my hair.
发簪 对 在这儿 我去拿给你
Oh, the pins, yes. Right in here. I’ll get them for you.
还有我的钱包 谢谢
And my purse, please.
给你
Here you are.
谢谢
Thank you.
你不该把我带到这儿
You shouldn’t have brought me here, you know.
我不知道你住哪儿
Well, I didn’t know where you lived.
你可以从我车里找
You could have looked in my car.
可是 你不知道我的车停哪儿吧
Oh, but then, you didn’t know my car, did you?
不 我知道你的车是哪辆 现在就停在外面
No, I knew which one it was. It’s right outside here now.
但我想你一定不想以这副面貌被送回家
But I didn’t think you wanted to be taken home that way.
对啊 你说得对
No, you’re right.
很庆幸你没送我回家 我跟你又不认识
I’m glad you didn’t take me home. I wouldn’t have known you.
谢谢 但我不认识你 你也不认识我
Thank you. But I don’t know you, and you don’t know me.
我叫玛德琳·埃尔斯特
My name is Madeleine Elster.
我叫约翰·费格森
My name’s John Ferguson.
很好 很响亮的名字 你朋友叫你约翰还是杰克
Good, strong name. Do your friends call you John or Jack?
通常都叫我约翰
Oh, John, mostly.
老朋友叫我约翰 熟人叫我斯考蒂
Old friends call me John. Acquaintances call me Scottie.
我该叫你费格森先生
I shall call you Mr. Ferguson.
天哪 我不喜欢这个称呼 不喜欢
Oh, gee whiz, I wouldn’t like that. Oh, no.
经历过今天下午所发生的事之后
And after what happened this afternoon,
我想你也许该叫我斯考蒂
I should think maybe you’d call me Scottie.
甚至可以叫我约翰
Maybe even John.
我比较喜欢约翰
I prefer John.
弄好了 约翰 你做什么的
There, that’s done. And what do you do, John?
到处闲逛啊
Wander about.
不错的职业 你一个人住这儿吗
That’s a good occupation. And you live here, alone?
不该一个人住
One shouldn’t live alone.
有些人就是喜欢独居
Some people prefer it.
不 错了
No, it’s wrong.
我是已婚人士
I’m married, you know.
你愿意告诉我吗
Will you tell me something?
之前你曾发生过这种事吗
Has this ever happened to you before?
什么
What?
掉进旧金山海湾
Falling into San Francisco Bay.
没有…以前从未发生过
No. No, it’s never happened before.
我还小的时候 曾从划艇上掉进湖里
Oh, I’ve fallen into lakes out of rowboats when I was a little girl.
甚至有一次还掉进过河里
I even fell into the river once,
试着从一个石头上跳到另一个石头上的时候
Trying to leap from one stone to another.
但我从未掉进过旧金山海湾

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!