even though she did win the Hubert Hammerman award
凭卓越的代数水平赢得了休伯特·哈默曼奖
for excellence in algebra in the eighth grade.
我也得过
So did I.
是吗
Yeah?
所以我还是觉得那个孩子该是
Still, I think the baby had to have been
十二岁零七个月大
seven months and 12 days old
而不是十二岁零六个月
instead of six months and 12 days old.
我是说 我觉得孩子看起来挺健康的
I mean, you know, it looked normal to me.
你亲眼见过她了吗?
You mean you saw it?
我当然亲眼见过她
Yeah, of course I saw it.
不然你以为我是哪种父亲?
What kind of father do you think I am?
我怎么会知道
I wouldn’t know.
这是什么意思?
What’s that supposed to mean?
是个女孩没错吧?
It was a girl, wasn’t it?
对 是的
Yeah, it was.
她是个完美的 漂亮的小女孩
It was this perfect, beautiful little girl.
她很漂亮?
It was beautiful?
哦 天 当然
Oh, God, hell, yes.
那之后她怎么样了
What happened to it?
天啊 你真是个好奇宝宝
God, you love to ask questions, don’t you?
那之后她怎么样了?
What happened to it?
我把她放在医院急诊部的门外
I put it outside the hospital emergency
留下标志 说明这是个早产儿
with a sign that said premature on it.
他们可能自己就弄明白了
They probably figured that out for themselves.
我坐着 直等到他们把她抱进救护车里
I sat and I waited until they took it away in an ambulance
送到克利夫兰的早产儿中心
to the preemie center over in Cleveland.
我看着他们开车远去 祈祷着
And I prayed as I watched them drive away
希望上帝能保佑她
that God would bless it.
但她大概是没希望了
But it never really had a chance.
如果是洛克希·卡迈克尔的孩子
If it was part Roxy Carmichael,
那她至少有半分机会
it had at least half a chance.
好吧
Yeah.
天啊
Jesus!
嘿 嘿
Hey, hey!
你打我做什么?
What did you do that for?
啊?
Huh?
天啊
Geez.
真是个怪小孩
That’s a strange kid.
头 肩 膝 脚趾 膝盖和脚趾
Head, shoulders, knees and toes, knees and toes.
那是爸爸的卡车
That’s daddy’s truck!
那是爸爸的卡车
That’s daddy’s truck!
不 那不是 亲爱的
No, it isn’t, honey.
那真的很像爸爸的卡车
That sure looks like daddy’s truck.
天啊 丹琪 你在干嘛?
Jesus, Dinky, what are you doing?
所以我们不知道该拿她怎么办
So we just don’t know what to do about her.
你能让这个发型保持到周五吗?
Can you make this hold till Friday?
当然可以
Oh, sure.
我爱那孩子 你知道我真的爱她
I love that kid, you know. I really do.
当然了 亲爱的
Of course you do, honey.
只是我觉得
It’s just that I feel like
我们像是从火星还是哪里收养了个外星人
we adopted a baby from Mars or something.
她真的和我们一点都不像
She just is not like us at all.
你想要这部分在右边还是左边?
Do you want the part on the right or the left?
左边
Left.
我不知道 夏梅
I don’t know, Charmaine.
我想给丹琪我未曾拥有过的一切
I wanted to give Dinky everything I never had.
她会成为我们的乖宝宝
She was gonna be our little doll,
但她从未想要这些
but she never wanted any of that.
我真觉得她不喜欢我 和我丈夫
I just don’t think she likes me, us, very much.
哦 我确定她喜欢的 罗谢尔
Oh, sure she does, Rochelle.
我觉得我们必须再得送她
I think we’re gonna have to send her
去一个特别的地方
to a special place again.
我们刚把她送回那所高中
We just sent her back to that high school and everything.
什么特别的地方?
What kind of special place?
是个为有天赋的孩子设立的学校
Well, it’s a school for gifted children.
那里景色很好
It’s very beautiful.
那种地方就该有那样的景色
Well, as beautiful as a place like that can be.
非常干净 毫无瑕疵
You know, very clean, immaculate,
还有个奥林匹克标准大小的泳池
and it’s got an Olympic-size swimming pool.
噢 丹琪会游泳吗?
Oh, does Dinky swim?
不会
No.

Yes.
好吧 其实我不知道
Well, I really don’t know.
你能在这里给我弄点刘海什么的吗?
Can you give me some fringe bangs or something here?
总好过你的办公室 -我明白
Sure beats your office. – I know.
你们的冷饮 小姐们
There you go, ladies.
我爸妈在领养我的时候
My parents were in the process
正计划开一家地毯商店
of opening their carpet store when they acquired me.
我猜他们很自然地
So I guess it was sort of a natural thing for them
就把我当做其中的另一块地毯
to think of me as another piece of carpet.
某种边角料 你知道吗
You know, some sort of remnant.
怎么了?
What?
这是个有趣的比喻
That’s a funny analogy.
只是搞笑罢了
I’m here to amuse.
有试过和他们交流吗
Ever tried to talk to them about it?
有啊
Yeah.
什么时候
When?
有一次
Once.
有一次?
Once?
在我六岁多的时候
Once when I was six and a quarter,
波塞蒂夫人和我坐下来聊天
Mrs. Bossetti and I sat down and we talked.
你不会想知道的
You don’t want to know.
不 我想
Yes, I do.
好吧 我对她说我更喜欢书本而不是洋娃娃
Well, I told her that I preferred books to dolls,
喜欢靴子而不是芭蕾舞鞋
boots to ballet slippers,
我对家庭旅行的想法
and that my idea of a family vacation
是在夏天去到阿♥拉♥斯加输油管工作
was to go and work on the Alaska pipelines for the summer.
还有呢
And?
我当时才六岁多
I was only six-and-a-quarter.
我不可能什么都记得
I can’t remember everything.
啊哈
Huh.
你是真想了解这种事?
You really want to know this stuff?
好吧 她整整哭了三天
Well, she cried for three days.
到处找人哭诉说她觉得我是宝贝罗斯玛丽
She told everybody she felt like I was Rosemary’s Baby.
这里大概说的是1976年的情♥色♥电影《宝贝罗斯玛丽(Baby Rosemary)》
以防万一有人喜欢收集电影周边,附种子于 [HOBBY] 文件夹
她对那部电影有执念
She had a thing about that movie.
然后她突然就不哭了
And then she stopped trying,
我也摆烂了
and so did I.
那太遭了 丹琪
That’s too bad, Dinky.
真的太糟糕了
That’s really too bad.
她没法好好控制自己的情绪
She can’t help the way she feels.
当然我也做不到
Neither can I, I mean.
这件事本身并没有什么错
There isn’t anything wrong with that.
不是说我有什么浪漫的想象
It’s not like I have some romantic notion
因为自己不被父母
about how I’m suffering because my parents,
或旁人理解 就非常痛苦
people, for that matter, don’t understand me.
我是说 那又怎么样呢
I mean, so what?
谁能做到绝对的共情 有吗?
Who understands anybody, really?
也没人会想这么做
Who wants to?
理解自己已经够艰难了 对吧?
It’s hard enough trying to understand yourself, you know?
我们就是合不来罢了
We just don’t fit.
就是会发生这种事
It happens.
不管怎样 周五之后就无所谓了
It’s not going to matter after Friday anyway.
为什么 因为洛克希·卡迈克尔回到镇上了吗?
Why, because Roxy Carmichael’s coming home?
因为我妈妈会来接我
Because my mother’s coming to get me.
你母亲?
Your mother?
等等 丹琪 我觉得我没理解
Wait a minute, Dinky, I don’t think I understand.
你理解不了的 真的
It’s not for you to understand, really.
丹琪 你觉得我们给你梳个头怎么样
Dinky, what do you say we comb your hair?
丹尼 别拿土豆做这种事
Denny, don’t do that with your potatoes.
火腿真不错

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!