-你对他们撒谎了 -是的
-You lied to them? -Yes.
在举♥行♥结婚典礼的时候 你宣誓说
And in the ceremony when you swore
你爱你丈夫 尊敬他 珍视他
to love honour and cherish your husband
-你又一次撒谎了 -是的
-that too was a lie? -Yes.
当警♥察♥向你问起这个自以为结了婚
And when the police questioned you about this wretched man
有人爱的可怜男人的时候
who believed himself married and loved
-你告诉他们…-我告诉他们的都是伦纳德要我说的
-you told them… -I told them what he wanted me to.
你告诉他们 21:25时
You told them that he was
他已经到家 跟你在一起
at home with you at 25 minutes past 9
-而现在你却说那是谎言 -是的 谎言
-and now you say that that was a lie? -Yes a lie!
那么当你说他是不小心割伤了
And when you said that he had accidentally cut
自己的手腕时 你又一次撒谎了
his wrist again you lied?
-是的 -而今天你却来了个天翻地覆
-Yes! -And today you told a new story entirely.
赫尔姆太太 问题在于
The question is Frau Helm
你究竟是当时在撒谎 还是现在在撒谎
were you lying then are you lying now?
或者 你干脆就是个
Or are you not in fact
积习已深 说谎成性的骗子
a chronic and habitual liar?!
卡特 卡特 另外那种药片 放舌头下面
Carter Carter! The other pill. Under the tongue.
法官大人 我博学的朋友
My lord is my learned friend
怎么可以如此威逼 侮辱证人
to be allowed to bully and insult the witness?
梅耶斯先生 这个控诉至关重要 只要在尺度范围之内
Mr Myers this is a capital charge and within the bounds of reason
我可以给予辩方 充分的言论自♥由♥
I should like the defence to have every latitude.
法官大人 请允许 我提醒我博学的朋友
My lord may I also remind my learned friend
他的证人承认自己 曾经那么多次地背弃誓言
that his witness by her own admission has already violated so many oaths
如果说她今天作证时并没有把宣誓当成一回事
that I am surprised the Testament did not leap from her hand
我也毫不惊讶
when she was sworn here today.
我认为继续询问 任何问题都是毫无意义的
I doubt if anything is to be gained by questioning you any further.
我的提问到此为止 赫尔姆太太
That will be all Frau Helm.
赫尔姆太太 我想你应该 知道
Mrs Helm I presume you know
“伪证”这个英语单词的意思
the meaning of the English word “perjury”?
在德语里面这个单词是”Meineid”
In German the word is Meineid.
是的”Meineid”
Yes. Meineid.
意思是虚假地宣誓并作证
It means to swear falsely under oath.
那么你是否清楚 赫尔姆太太
And are you aware Mrs Helm
在这个国家对于伪证罪的惩罚是很重的
that the penalty in this country for perjury is a heavy term
可判入狱
of imprisonment?
是的 我很清楚
Yes I’m aware.
基于对伪证罪的了解
Mindful of this fact
我再问你一次 你所提供的证词
I ask you once more is the evidence that you have given
是否是事实 完完全 的事实 除了事实别无其它
the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth?
上帝可鉴
So help me God.
好 法官大人 控方的传讯完毕
Then that my lord is the case for the prosecution.
-要纸巾吗 -好的 谢谢
-Want a tissue? -Yes thanks.
这是我第一次旁听 谋杀案审判 太可怕了
It’s the first murder trial I’ve ever been to. It’s terrible.
肃静
Silence.
威尔弗莱德爵士 你准备好作辩方陈述了吗
Sir Wilfrid. Are you ready for the defence?
法官大人 各位陪审员
My lord members of the jury
控方十分巧妙地对 犯人伦纳德·沃尔提出了控诉
the prosecution has very ably presented against the prisoner Leonard Vole
给出了具有 压倒性的间接证据
a case with the most overwhelming circumstantial evidence.
我们听到了 赫恩总警巡的证词
Among the witnesses you have heard Chief Inspector Hearne
一如往常 他的证词 公正而不偏不倚
who has given his testimony in a fair and impartial manner as he always does.
他很聪明地向我们 阐述了关于犯罪经过的推论
He has put before you a clever theory of how this crime was committed.
然而 这究竟只是推论 还是事实
Whether it is theory or actual fact however
将由你们自己来判断
you will decide for yourselves.
然后你们听到了 珍妮特·麦肯锡的证词
And then you have heard the evidence of Janet McKenzie
她是个可敬而忠心耿耿的女管家
a worthy and devoted housekeeper
却因蒙受了重大损失而饱受其苦
who has suffered two most grievous losses.
首先 是因为痛失了 她热爱的女主人
One the death of her beloved mistress
其次 则是因为被剥夺了 八万英镑的继承权
and second in being deprived of an inheritance of L80000
对此她曾抱有满心的希望
which she’d fully expected to receive.
我不想对她的证词作过多的评论
I will not comment further on her evidence
只想对她表示我深深的同情
but will express only my deepest sympathy for her
为这两大…飞来横祸
in both these…mishaps.
然而最具有杀伤力的
And most damaging of all
则是控方 传唤的一位出人意料的证人
the prosecution has produced a surprise witness
叫做克莉丝汀·赫尔姆
one Christine Helm
正是犯人 把她从故国的瓦砾丛中
whom the prisoner brought from the rubble of her homeland
带到这个国家 给了她爱
to the safety of this country
以自己的姓氏为她提供了保护
giving her his love and the protection of his name.
我反对她出庭作证 因为一个妻子不能
I objected to her testimony because a wife cannot give evidence
提供有损于其丈夫的证词
harmful to her husband.
但是事实证明
But it has been proven
她与伦纳德·沃尔的婚姻是一场骗局 是重婚
that her marriage to Mr Vole was fraudulent and bigamous.
因此 她的证词必须被视为有效
Therefore her evidence must be admitted
而你们则必须认真考虑
and you must consider it.
究竟什么才是事实
For what it is worth.
以上就是控方的论述 现在该轮到辩方了
Such is the prosecution’s case. Now it is the turn of the defence.
作为犯人的代表
We could present
我们完全可以 传唤证人来证明他的人品
on behalf of the prisoner witnesses to his character
他的服役记录 他从无违法犯罪记录
his war record the lack of criminal
及其他恶劣行为的过往表现
or evil association in his past.
然而 只有一位证人才能更清晰地
However only one witness can shed new light
为我们揭示这场悲剧的真♥相♥
on this tragic riddle.
那就是犯人本人
The prisoner himself.
各位陪审员
Members of the jury
我要传唤 伦纳德·斯蒂芬·沃尔
I call Leonard Stephen Vole.
我向万能的上帝起誓 我提供的证词将是事实
I swear by Almighty God that the evidence I give will be the truth
-完完全全的事实 除了事实别无其它 -不要
-the whole truth and nothing but the truth. -No.
-你的姓名是伦纳德·斯蒂芬·沃尔 -对
-Is your name Leonard Stephen Vole? -It is.
-你的住址是 -爱德华尔路620号♥
-Where do live? -620 Edgware Road.
伦纳德·斯蒂芬·沃尔 你是否在10月14日的晚上
Leonard Stephen Vole did you or did you not on the night of October 14 last
杀害了埃米莉·简·弗伦奇
murder Emily Jane French?
-我没有 -谢谢你 我问完了
-I did not. -Thank you that will be all.
你对犯人的提问真的 完毕了吗
Have you in fact concluded your examination of the prisoner
威尔弗莱德爵士
Sir Wilfrid?
法官大人 犯人已经忍♥受了 三天的心理折磨和惊扰
The prisoner has endured three days of profound mental agony and shock.
辩方认为他应该集中精力来
The defence feels his faculties should be spared
面对我博学的控方朋友的盘问
for the cross-examination by my learned friend for the prosecution.
我并不是在祈求宽待
This is not a plea for any indulgence.
我非常确信 任何的质询
I am confident that no matter how searching this may be
犯人都可以面对
the prisoner will withstand it.
沃尔先生 你认识 弗伦奇太太的时候
At the time you made the acquaintance of Mrs French
有没有工作
were you employed?
-没有 先生 -你当时有多少钱
-No sir. -How much money did you have?
-没多少 -她有没有给你钱
-A few pounds. -Did she give you any?
没有
No.
-你指望问她要钱吗 -没有 先生
-Did you expect to receive any? -No sir.
你是否知道根据她的新遗嘱 你可以得到八万英镑
Did you know that in her new will you were the beneficiary of L80000?
不 我不知道
No I didn’t.
好 沃尔先生 你最后一次
Now Mr Vole when you went
去拜访弗伦奇太太的时候
to visit Mrs French for the last time
是不是穿这件上衣 戴这顶帽子
did you wear a trench coat and a brown hat?
-是的 没错 -衣服和帽子都对
-Yes I did. -Was it this coat and hat?
对 先生
Yes sir.
法官大人 辩方曾致力于 为犯人建立不在场证明
My lord the defence in its efforts to establish an alibi for the prisoner
因此传播了这张照片 希望能找到某个证人
circulated this photograph hoping to bring forth a witness
以证明犯人是在他所说的时间
who had seen him leaving Mrs French’s house or entering his own
离开弗伦奇太太家 并走回自己家
at the times that he has stated.
显然 这项值得称道 的努力并没有结果
Apparently this splendid effort was without results.
然而 值得辩方高兴的是
However the defence will be pleased to learn
就在最后一刻 有一位证人出现了
that at the last moment a witness has come forward
声称看到了犯人 穿这件衣服 戴这顶帽子
and that the prisoner had been seen wearing this coat and this hat.
可令人伤心的是 他并不是案发当晚看到的证人
Lamentably he had not been seen on the night of the murder
而是在案发前一星期看到的
but one week before.
在10月8日下午 你是否去过
On the afternoon of October 8 were you not
摄政街上的一家旅行社
in a travel agency in Regent Street?
你是否在那里咨♥询♥过 国外旅行线路的价格
And did you not make inquiries about prices and schedules of foreign cruises?
我去过又如何呢 这也不犯法 对不对
Supposing I did? It’s not a crime is it?
当然不犯法 人们总是在
Not at all. Many people go on a cruise
负担得起的情况下才会出国旅游
when they can afford to pay for it.

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
前一篇文章黑神驹
下一篇文章龙虾
一个人,一本书,一部电影,还是一段音乐 ♪ ♩ ♫ ♬ 在世界的某个角落, 总有什么能触动你的心灵; 在世界的某个角落, 总有和你一样的人。

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!