我怕她对我失去兴趣
I was afraid she’d lose interest.
因为她很有钱 是啊我想是的 你惦记着她的钱
Because she was rich and you were after her money.
嗯 从某种意义上来说 是这样
Well yes in a way.
我希望能为我的发明获取投资 只要上百英镑就够了
I was hoping for a loan for my new invention. Just a few hundred pounds.
就是正经的生意 仅此而已 有那么不道德吗
An honest business proposition that’s all. Is that so wicked?
你知道那天 是女管家出门的日子
You knew it was the housekeeper’s day off?
-嗯 是的 -你选那天去就因为知道她是一个人
-Well yes. -You went there because she’d be alone?
不 我选那天去是觉得 她可能太孤独了
No because I thought she might be lonely.
哦 孤独 你跟那个 孤独的有钱寡妇同处一室
All right lonely. You and the rich lonely widow all alone in that house
留声机在播放 轻歌♥剧《日本天♥皇♥》
with a gramophone blaring The Mikado.
也许你有意开大了音量 以掩盖她的叫喊声
Perhaps you turned up the volume to drown her cries.
我离开的时候她还活着
When I left her she was alive!
女管家回来的时候她已经死了
When Janet came back she was dead.
有人闯进了屋子 报纸上 就是这么说的
The house had been ransacked! It said in the papers.
一定是入室抢劫
It must’ve been a burglar.
我没有杀人 不管看起来 对我有多么不利
I didn’t do it. No matter how bad things look
我真的没有杀人
I didn’t do it!
你必须相信我 你相信我 对吗
You must believe me. You do believe me don’t you?
我现在相信了 但我之前并不确定
I do now but I wasn’t sure.
所以我刚才要让你的眼睛 和我的动脉忍♥受一下折磨
That’s why I subjected your eyes and my arteries to that ordeal.
-很抱歉 -没关系
-I’m sorry. -That’s all right.
所谓看起来很不利 沃尔先生
As for things looking bad
根本不是”不利” 是非常糟糕
they don’t look bad Mr Vole they look terrible.
显然你根本没有不在场证明
Apparently you’ve no alibi at all.
可是我有我离开弗伦奇太太家时是九点
But I have. I left Mrs French’s at nine.
坐公共汽车还是坐地铁
By bus or underground?
都不是是走回去的那晚天气很好
No I walked. It was a fine night.
-有人看见你了吗 -我到家的时候克莉丝汀看见我了
-Did anyone see you? -Christine saw me when I got home.
那时是21:26 我记得时间
It was 9.26. I know
因为当时 我一回家就去忙活我正在修的一只钟了
because I went right to work on a clock I’ve been tinkering with.
-我妻子会告诉您的 -你妻子很爱你是不是
-My wife will tell you. -Your wife loves you yes?
非常爱我 我们彼此深爱
Very much. We’re devoted to each other.
沃尔先生 你有没有意识到
You realise Mr Vole
一位深爱自己丈夫的妻子的证词
the testimony of a devoted wife
并没有多少说服力
does not carry much weight.
他们会认为克莉丝汀是在为我撒谎
People might think Christine would lie on my account?
这很常见 沃尔先生 这就叫护短
It has been known Mr Vole. Blood is thicker than evidence.
啊 布洛根·摩尔 请进 请进
Ah Brogan-Moore. Come in come in.
真高兴看到你出院了
So good to have you out of hospital.
我还没正式被赦免呢
I didn’t get a full pardon
我是被假释出来的 我想你一定认识梅休先生吧
I’m out on parole. You know Mr Mayhew I believe.
-这位是他的委托人 伦纳德·沃尔先生 -你好
-This is his client Mr Leonard Vole. -How do you do?
-你好 -埃米莉·弗伦奇谋杀案
-How do you do? -The Emily French murder.
-哦 你好啊 -他很糟谢谢你
-Oh how do you do? -Badly thank you.
一大堆间接证据 没有不在场证明 是个烫手山芋
A mass of circumstantial evidence. No alibi whatsoever. It’s a hot potato.
-我帮你揽过来了 -真是强买♥♥强卖♥♥啊
-Tossing it into your lap. -Much obliged.
你主要的辩护理由 可以定为缺乏犯罪动机
Your line of defence however will be lack of motive.
可以排除情杀 你说呢
You will agree that we can rule out a crime of passion hm?
再来看看谋财害命的可能性
That leaves us with a murder for profit.
如果说沃尔先生曾经从弗伦奇太太身上榨取钱财
If Mr Vole had been sponging off Mrs French
他又何必自断财路呢
why cut off the source of supply?
反过来说 如果他还指望着这只肥鹅给他下金蛋
Or if he’d been hoping for a golden egg
那又何必在下蛋之前就把它宰了
why kill the goose before it was laid?
没有动机 怎么说都没有动机
No motive. No motive whatsoever.
你觉得这个推理有缺陷
You find some flaw in this reasoning?
不 不 目前为止听上去都很有道理
No no it’s very sound as far as it goes.
嗯 反正都是你的活儿
Well it’s all yours.
你会发现 沃尔先生是个反应很快的人 而且很坦诚
You’ll find Mr Vole very responsive and quite candid.
坦诚得连他付不起律师费
So candid he’s already told me
我们必须为此起诉他都照实说了
we’ll have to sue him for our fees.
哦 我们只要指望沃尔先生 那八万英镑就行了
Oh we’ll simply put a lean on Mr Vole’s L80000.
-什么八万英镑 -弗伦奇太太留给你的八万英镑
-What L80000? -The L80000 Mrs French left you.
留给我
Left me?
他们今天打开了弗伦奇太太的 银行保管箱
They opened Mrs French’s bank vault today
找到了她的遗嘱
and found her will.
-祝贺你 -八万英镑
-Congratulations. -L80000!
我还为那我傻乎乎的 打蛋器操了半天心
And I was worried about a couple of hundred for that silly eggbeater.
我得打电♥话♥告诉克莉丝汀
I must call Christine.

Oh.
这事儿是不是 对我没什么好处
This doesn’t make things look any better for me does it?
是的 我认为是这样
No. I wouldn’t think so.
这样一来 他们就会说我是有动机的
So now they’ll say I did have a motive.
他们当然会这么说 八万英镑是个非常好的动机
They will indeed. L80000 makes for a very handsome motive.
本来我还以为你们是疯了
I thought you were crazy
可现在他们真的要来抓我了
but now they will arrest me!
并非无稽之谈
It’s not unlikely.
实际上 已经板上钉钉了 他们正在上来的路上
As a matter of fact it’s quite likely. They’re on their way up now.
可是 我对这份遗嘱一无所知
I knew nothing about that will.
我不明白她为什么要留给我那么多钱
I’d no idea she’d any intention of leaving me money.
这件事我根本不知道 又怎么可能成为动机呢
If I didn’t know how can it be a motive?
布洛根·摩尔在法庭上当然会提出这一点
We’ll certainly bring that out in court.
是我们的老朋友赫恩警巡
It’s our old friend Inspector Hearne.
从上个月开始已经是总警巡了
Chief Inspector as of last month.
总警巡 看来 苏格兰场很重视你啊
Chief Inspector? They must think a lot of you at Scotland Yard.
你享受的是豪华待遇
You’re getting the de luxe treatment.
哦 请进吧 总警巡
Oh in here Chief Inspector.
很抱歉 上门叨扰威尔弗莱德爵士
Sorry to disturb you in your chambers.
没关系 对于警方的行动 我从来没提出过什么异议
That’s perfectly all right. I never object to the actions of the police
只除了在法庭上偶尔为之
except once in a great while in court.
是啊 先生 我至今心有余悸
Yes sir I still have the scars.
梅休先生你应该认识 这位是布洛根·摩尔先生
You know Mr Mayhew Mr Brogan-Moore.
这位是危险的伦纳德·沃尔 你最好 搜一下身
This is Leonard Vole. You’d better search
他可能武装有一个打蛋器
him he may be armed with an eggbeater.
-你是伦纳德·沃尔 -是的 我是
-Is your name Leonard Vole? -Yes it is.
我有一张你的逮捕证
I have a warrant for your arrest
罪名是 涉嫌在10月14日谋杀了埃米莉·弗伦奇
on the charge of murdering Emily French.
我必须警告你 你说的任何话
I must warn you that anything you say
都可能被记录下来 成为呈堂证供
may be taken down and used in evidence.
好的 我准备好了 要戴手铐吗
Well I’m ready. Must I be handcuffed?
没有必要 先生
That won’t be necessary sir.
我还从来没被逮捕过 我奉公守法
I’ve never been arrested before not even
从没带不拴绳子的狗出门
for walking a dog off a lead
也没有在营业时间之后去喝过啤酒
or having a beer after hours.
被逮捕也没什么丢人的 沃尔先生
There’s no disgrace in being arrested.
国王 首相 大主教
Kings prime ministers
甚至连出庭律师都曾经出现在被告席上
archbishops even barristers have stood in the dock.
-最好有谁打个电♥话♥给我妻子 -我来打别担心
-Somebody better call my wife. -I will don’t worry.
我跟你一起去 确保你受到妥善的对待
I’ll go too see you’re properly charged.
-你们会确保他受到妥善的对待吗 -我们会的
-You will see to it that he is well-treated? -We will.
要不要来支雪茄 请原谅
Would you like a cigar? Pardon me.
非常感谢 威尔弗莱德爵士
That’s very kind of you Sir Wilfrid.
最好别这样这会被界定为贿赂
I’d better not. It would constitute a bribe.
我们该走了 沃尔先生
We ought to be going Mr Vole.
现在我明白了一件事 永远不要站在女帽店外向里张望
One thing I’ve learned for sure never look in a window with women’s hats.
再会 先生
Good day sir.
给人印象不错 是不是
Makes a very nice impression doesn’t he?
是啊相当不错你给他做过”眼镜片测试”了
Yes rather. Give him the monocle test?
高分通过
Passed with flying colours.
希望他在被告席也有一样好的表现 这很困难 你知道
I hope he does as well in the dock. This is sticky you know.
当然 控方的炮火会很猛烈
Of course. The prosecution will blast in with their heaviest artillery.
而你手里只有一把小小的玩具枪
All you’ll have is one little popgun
就是他妻子提供的不在场证明
an alibi furnished by his wife.
是不是一项 富有诱惑力的挑战
Isn’t that an intriguing challenge?
我宁可这案子 少一点挑战 少一点诱惑力
I think I’d like it more if it was less of a challenge and less intriguing.
抱歉 威尔弗莱德爵士
Miss Plimsoll
普利姆索尔小姐发出 最后通牒了
has issued an ultimatum.
一分钟内您不上♥床♥ 她就辞职
In bed in one minute or she’ll resign.
太好了 给她一个月 工钱 把她踢下楼
Splendid. Give her a month’s pay and kick her down the stairs.
威尔弗莱德爵士 你该保重 自己的身体
Either you take care of yourself
否则我也要辞职
or I too shall resign.

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
前一篇文章黑神驹
下一篇文章龙虾
一个人,一本书,一部电影,还是一段音乐 ♪ ♩ ♫ ♬ 在世界的某个角落, 总有什么能触动你的心灵; 在世界的某个角落, 总有和你一样的人。

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!