所有的记忆现在都已经模糊了 但1944年的欧洲都是这样的
It’s hard to remember now, but Europe was like this in 1944.
二次大战进入第五个年头
The Second World War was in its fifth year…
希♥特♥勒♥仍占尽优势
…and still going Hitler’s way.
德军控制欧洲多地
German troops controlled most of Europe.
D-Day改写了这一切
D-day changed all that.
D-Day 1944年6月6日
D-day: June 6, 1944…
盟军在最高司令 艾森豪威尔的指挥下
…when the Allied forces, under their commander, General Eisenhower…
成功在法国北岸登陆
…landed on the northern coast of France.
到了七月他们已能展开攻势
By July, they were able to begin their own offensive.
八月巴黎得到解放
By August, Paris was liberated.
德军在各地撤退
Everywhere the Germans retreated.
然而盟军有喜亦有忧
But with the Allied victories came problems.
物资仍得由 远逾400里的诺曼底运来
Supplies still had to be driven from Normandy, over 400 miles away…
而且物资严重缺乏
…and became dangerously short.
盟军的推进开始停滞
The Allied advance began to come to a halt.
艾森豪威尔要面对的另一问题
Another problem facing Eisenhower was this:
是他两位著名的上将 南方的巴顿
His two most famous generals Patton, who was in the south,
跟北方的蒙哥马利势不两立
and Montgomery in the north. Disliked each other intensely.
两人的竞争可说已达到白热化
The longstanding rivalry had never been more fierce.
盟军根本难以满足 两军的物资需求
There simply were not enough supplies for both armies.
两人都渴望率先打败德军
Each wanted to be the one to defeat the Germans.
率先攻陷柏林
Each wanted to beat the other to Berlin.
1944年9月
In September, 1944…
蒙哥马利想出崭新的攻略
…Montgomery devised a new and spectacular plan…
代号♥为市场花♥园♥
…given the code name “Market Garden.”
大受上级们压力的艾森豪威尔
Eisenhower, under great pressure from his superiors…
最后赞同蒙哥马利的建议
…finally sided with Montgomery…
市场花♥园♥行动亦变成事实
…and Operation Market Garden became a reality.
这战略跟之前不少战事一样
The plan, like so many plans in so many wars before it…
旨在在圣诞节前结束大战
…was meant to end the fighting by Christmas…
让盟军凯♥旋♥回国
…and bring the boys back home.
遥远的桥
1944年9月 荷兰安亨
是什么声音
What is that noise?
-我去看看 -不 他们会开枪
– Can I look out? – No, they might shoot us.
德军已崩溃
The Germans have collapsed.
大战已结束了
Then the war is over?
快了
Soon.
但那是什么声音
But what is that noise?
惶恐
Panic.
德军西部前线陆军总部
你可以开始了
You may begin.
请先容我代表大家说这个
May I first be permitted to say, and I think I speak for all of us…
我们很高兴陆军元帅龙德施泰特
…how pleased we are, Field Marshal Von Rundstedt…
你再度被委任为西部前线的陆军统帅
…that you have been reappointed commander of our forces in the West.
演讲是为了庆祝胜利的
Speeches are for victory celebrations.
言归正传 空军实力呢
Let’s get to the point. Air power?
空军实力 元帅
Air power, field marshal?
精简而言之
Briefly, please.
-空军实力有限 -弹♥药♥呢
– Air power is minimal. – Ammunition?
也是有限
Also minimal.
坦克 部队 补充兵员
Tanks, troops, replacements?
-有限 -士气呢
– Minimal. – Morale?
毫无士气
Nonexistent.
我们该怎么做
What do you think we should do?
结束这场仗 笨蛋
End the war, you fools.
-究竟有什么好笑 -对不起
– Why in the world are you laughing? – Excuse us.
我们对你充满信心
We have such confidence in you.
大家都知你领的是不败之师
Everyone knows you have never lost a battle.
我还年轻 给我时间
I’m still young. Give me time.
首要任务是
The first thing we must do…
把这班乌合之众训练成雄师
…is to turn this rabble into something like an army.
知道他们打算何时进占荷兰吗
Anything at all on when they plan to invade Holland?
看来他们在比利时停下来
They seem to have paused in Belgium.
大概是因物资缺乏之故
Most likely supply problems.
否则也想不到是为何
Otherwise we can’t imagine why.
我认为这是因为我们撤退的速度
I think it’s because we’re retreating…
比他们进攻快
…faster than they can advance.
过去一小时有多少部车
How many vehicles in the past hour?
五十四部
Fifty-four.
昨天同样时间呢
And for the same hour yesterday?
九十八部
Ninety-eight.
上周凭我和你妈也能占领荷兰
Last week your mother and I could have captured Holland alone.
惶恐已经结束
Already the panic has stopped.
但还没完的 那些笨蛋没看透这个
It isn’t over yet, and those idiots don’t realize it.
-战争需要时间 -好一副专家口吻
– War takes time. – Listen to the expert.
他们来这时 我只有九岁
I was 9 when they got here.
下个月我就十四岁 我当然有所体会
Next month I’ll be 14. I ought to know something.
爸爸 盟军会来吗
Father, the Allies will come.
但在何时
But when?
英国 勃朗宁上将总部
我刚从布鲁塞尔回到英国
I’ve just got back to England from Brussels…
今早我跟陆军元帅蒙哥马利开会
…where I had a meeting this morning with Field Marshal Montgomery.
再早之前 则跟艾森豪威尔上将会面
There was an earlier one with General Eisenhower.
他们俩和我都认为
They both feel, as I do…
若陆军元帅的计划成功
…that when the field marshal’s plan has succeeded…
我们就能在圣诞节前结束大战
…we should be able to end the war by Christmas…
也就是在一百天内打赢仗
…in less than 100 days.
其实计划十分简单
Actually, the plan is really very simple.
我们派兵三万五千 飞三百里 在敌军战线后方着陆
We’re going to fly 35,000 men 300 miles and drop them behind enemy lines.
这会是历来最大型的空降行动
It’ll be the largest airborne operation ever mounted.
也可说是史无前例的
Quite frankly, this kind of thing’s never been attempted before.
-行动在哪展开 -荷兰
– Where’s this all going to take place? – Holland.
-何时 -我正要说这个
– And when? – I’m coming to that now.
好了
Right.
地面部队 霍罗克斯的第30军 有二万部车
The ground forces: 30 Corps, commanded by General Horrocks, 20,000 vehicles.
而这是德军的前线
And this, as you know, is the German frontline.
我们会布阵 派出空降部队
Now, we’re going to lay a carpet, as it were, of airborne troops…
跟第30军合作
…over which the 30th Corps can pass.
我们要夺桥 这是关键所在
We shall seize the bridges… It’s all a question of bridges.
以火速之势
– With thunderclap surprise…
占据桥道 稳住阵脚
…and hold them until they can be secured.
首先麦克斯韦泰勒上将
Now, first of all, General Maxwell Taylor…
艾恩德霍芬
…Eindhoven.
你跟101空降师夺取 以及坚守这区的桥
You take and hold the bridges there with 101 st.
盖文上将 以你的第82空降师
General Gavin, with your 82nd…
占取奈梅亨
…you get Nijmegen.
夺取以及坚守住桥道
You take and hold the bridges.
罗伊 你负责大奖 安亨
And Roy, you get the prize: Arnhem.
安亨桥
Arnhem Bridge.
-而且坚守它 -守多久
– And you hold it. – For how long?
蒙哥马利保证第30军
Well, Monty assures me that 30 Corps…
会在两天内走六十三里
…will do the 63 miles in two days.
两天走六十三里
Sixty-three miles in two days.
-他们该做得到 -对不起
– They ought to be able to handle that. – Oh, I’m sorry.
苏沙鲍斯基上将 你的波兰部队跟罗伊的搭档
General Sosabowski, you go with your Polish brigade with Roy Urquhart.
我很抱歉
I’m so sorry.
罗伊
Roy…
等到你固守住了桥道
…when you’ve secured your bridge…
第30军顺利渡桥后 我们可向东走
…and 30th Corps have got across it, we can turn east…
直达德国工业重镇鲁尔
…right into the industrial heart of Germany: The Ruhr.
当我们控制他们的工厂 他们就会束手无策
Once we control their factories, there’s not much they can do about it.
计划就是如此
And that is the plan.
下个星期天出动
And we go next Sunday.
七天
Seven days?
有何不可 速战速决
Why not? The sooner we go, the better.
他们会是囊中物
We’ve got them on the run.
你有什么疑问吗 苏沙鲍斯基上将
Is something troubling you, General Sosabowski?
-我什么都没说 -正是如此
– I’ve said nothing. – Precisely.
你的沉默有如雷击一般
Your silences are thunderous.
勃朗宁上将 我
General Browning, I…
我是个波兰人
I am a Pole…

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!