你想以一个律师的身份来追随上帝?
You want to come to Christ as a lawyer?
我要你作为一个可怜的罪人来追随上帝
You need to come as a poor sinner.
诸位跪下 让我为你们祈祷
Get down on your knees and let me pray for you.
随后你们可以为自己祈祷
And then you can pray for yourself.
那么你 狄金森小姐 你怎么回事? – 我怎么了 先生?
And you, Miss Dickinson. What of you? – What of me, sir?
你愿意跪下 并把自己交托给上帝吗?
Will you not kneel and give yourself to God?
不 先生 我不会跪下的
No, sir, I will not kneel.
尽管我认为 上帝已经把他自己交付给了我
Though I think that God has already given Himself to me.
真是亵渎圣灵 – 并没有这个意思 先生
That was profane. – It was not meant so, sir.
你能守护你自己的灵魂吗? – 我尽力而为 先生
Do you guard your soul, Emily? – As best as I am able, sir.
那么地狱呢?该如何对待地狱?
And Hell? What of Hell?
如果可以的话 避开它 如果必须的话 忍♥受它
Avoid it if I can. Endure it if I must.
那是反宗教的 年轻的女士 – 那么我乞求上帝宽恕我的不恭
That was irreligious, young lady. – Then I beg God’s pardon for my impiety.
让我们为所有的罪人祈祷
Let us pray for all sinners.
你怎么敢如此胆大妄为?
How dare you conduct yourself in such a manner?
那既反基♥督♥ 又不成体统!
It is both unchristian and unseemly!
我不会被强迫接受信仰!
I will not be forced to piety!
怎么训导 你就怎么做
You will do as you are instructed.
我知道您作为基♥督♥徒的精神支柱更为坚固 父亲
I know your Christian shore is safer, Father.
而且我知道我一定看上去比较叛逆 但是我的灵魂是我自己的
And I know I must seem recalcitrant, but my soul is my own.
你的灵魂是属于上帝的!你忽视它则后果自负
Your soul is God’s! You neglect it at your peril.
好的 父亲 – 而且将来
Yes, Father. – And in future,
你要以符合你身份地位的方式行事
you will conduct yourself in a manner that is befitting the station in life
一种满足上帝的意志 以至于你可以得到召唤的方式
to which it has pleased God to call you.
好的 父亲
Yes, Father.
晚安 艾米莉
Goodnight, Emily.
晚安 父亲
Goodnight, Father.
这餐盘脏了
This plate is dirty.
这样就不再脏了
It is dirty no longer.
我可能不会那么过分
I wouldn’t have gone that far.
如果我这么做了 父亲会让我收拾行李滚蛋 打发我去一家还不错的军事院校
If I had, Father would have packed me off to a good military school
然后母亲会泪汪汪地再把这个故事添油加醋一番
and Mother would have tearfully embroidered something.
啊 这不是不朽的巴芬小姐吗
Ah. The eternal Miss Buffam.
时光老人:手持象征死亡来临的大镰刀,与象征时间流逝的沙漏,只有前发秃头的长鬍子老人
唉呀 不 先生 时光老人也在敲我的门
Alas, no, sir. Father Time knocks at my door also.
那么你会采取什么预防措施吗?
And what precautions do you take?
当他呼唤我时 我想办法从不在家
I contrive never to be at home when he calls.
每个女人都应该会 渴望实现这种随时待命的状态
All women should aspire to that state of readiness.
不 女人唯一渴望的 是比她们的腰围更年轻
No. Women should only aspire to be younger than their waistlines.
如此一来 这个有关年龄令人不快的话题也就变得差不多无关紧要了
Then the unpleasant topic of age becomes almost irrelevant.
那么男人应该渴望什么呢?
And what should men aspire to?
平底雪橇
Tobogganing.
那么不太冷的天气里该怎么办呢?
And in warmer weather?
集邮 它集中了运动的所有危险性 又不具备任何的艰苦性
Philately. It has all the dangers of sport without any of the rigour.
您的揶揄 巴芬小姐 总是一如既往的赏心悦目
Your banter, Miss Buffam, is, as always, delightful.
接受它 狄金森先生 它是一个不幸 苦难的灵魂仅有的感情流露
Take it, Mr. Dickinson, as the mere outpourings of a poor, tormented soul.
女士们
Ladies.
现在你们有些过头了 – 我们只是试着做一些调侃
Now you go too far. – We were trying to be ironic.
进来
Come in.
你打算去教堂做礼拜吗 艾米莉? – 不 父亲
Will you come to church, Emily? – No, Father.
为什么不去呢? – 上帝已经知道什么存于我心
Why will you not come? – God knows what is in my heart.
他并不需要 我再待在信徒的座位上去提醒他
He doesn’t require me to be in a pew to remind Him.
我希望那句话并不象它听上去那么不足取
I hope that remark isn’t as frivolous as it sounds.
你的灵魂并非微不足道
Your soul is no trivial matter.
我同意 父亲
I agree, Father.
那就是我为什么 如此小心翼翼地守护它独♥立♥性的原因所在
That’s why I’m so meticulous in guarding its independence.
诗人 — 照我算计 —
I reckon – when I count out all –
该列第一 — 然后 — 太阳 —
First – poets – then the sun –
然后 夏季 — 然后 上帝的天堂
Then summer – then the Heaven of God
这 — 就是全部的名单 —
And then – the list is done –
但是 再看一遍 — 第一 — 似已包括全体 —
But, looking back – the first so seems – To comprehend the whole –
其余 都不必出现 — 所以我写 — 诗人 — 一切 —
The others look a needless show – So I write – poets – all –
他们的夏季 — 常年留驻 —
Their summer – lasts a solid year –
他们给得出的太阳 东方 — 也会认为奢侈 —
They can afford a sun The East – would deem extravagant –
即使 那更远的天堂 —
And if the further heaven –
也像他们为他们的崇拜者 所准备的那样美 —
Be beautiful as they prepare For those who worship them –
在情理上也太难证明 — 还有必要为做梦而入睡 —
It is too difficult a grace – To justify the dream –
这是什么? – 奥斯汀的
What is it? – From Austin.
奥斯汀和他未来新娘 苏珊·吉尔伯特的照片
Likenesses of Austin and his bride-to-be, Susan Gilbert.
哦!
Oh!
奥斯汀还是一如既往得帅 – 不过她看上去颜值不高啊
Austin as handsome as ever. – But she looks terrified.
我们一定要欢迎她 而且要让她宽心 我们并不都是难以接近的
We must welcome her and reassure her we are not all forbidding.
哦 艾米莉 我亲爱的!
Oh, Emily, my own!
这太奢华了 简直就是巴黎风格的
This is a luxury that is almost Parisian.
我们今天就别太较真 肤浅一点也无妨
Let’s not be anything today except superficial.
没错 而且肤浅应该总是自发产生的
Yes. And superficiality should always be spontaneous.
如果它是有意为之 那就太接近伪善了
If it is studied, it is too close to hypocrisy.
我们可能是肤浅的 但是我们并不愚蠢
We may be superficial, but we aren’t stupid.
绝对不会
Heaven forbid.
这已经是我第三次参加毕业舞会了 这可不是一个会有艳遇的好征兆
This is my third commencement ball, and not a hint of romance.
你认为男人会对一个
Do you suppose that men are frightened of a woman
教书的 而且已经习惯于自身独♥立♥的女人感到害怕吗?
who teaches and is used to her independence?
男人被认为是无所畏惧的 不是吗?
Men are supposed to be fearless, aren’t they?
对于战争 没错 对于宗教 总是如此
In war, yes. In religion, always.
对于爱 绝对不是
In love, never.
看看那个可爱的家伙
Look at that divine creature.
他昂起的头颅多么高贵 – 象一位罗马皇帝
What a noble head he has. – Like a Roman emperor.
尼禄:罗马皇帝(54~68年在位),是一位迫♥害♥基♥督♥教♥徒♥的暴君
尼禄
Nero.
我们希望他恰好是同样的邪恶
Let’s hope he’s just as wicked.
只要他是个土豪
As long as he has a fortune,
我们可以把他的邪恶 只当作是他德行上的一个瑕疵
we can take his wickedness as merely a lapse in virtue.
我想你得为一曲波尔卡做好准备了
I think you must prepare yourself for a polka.
可否允许我在您的舞会排名表中入列 跟您共舞下一曲呢?
May I be permitted to have the next dance on your card, Miss Buffam?
我没有什么舞会排名表 先生 我更倾向于… 即兴而为
I don’t have a dance card, sir. I prefer to… improvise.
那不是很危险吗? – 那恰好是我这么做的原因
Isn’t that rather dangerous? – That is precisely why I do it.
女士们
Ladies.
那家伙有多可爱?
How was the divinity?
他的舞技象一只北极熊
He dances like a polar bear.
并且是个道德家
And a prig.
你是不是说了什么 吓着他了?
Did you say something to him to shock him?
《呼啸山庄》:英语文学经典名著,英国文学家艾米莉·勃朗特的小说,她的姐姐夏洛蒂·勃朗特则是名著《简·爱》的作者;虽然
《呼啸山庄》在现代普遍被视为英语经典小说,但在那个时代,评论家对该书的评论非常两极化,亦被认为是极具争议性的作品
只不过说了 我刚刚读完了《呼啸山庄》
Only that I’d just finished reading Wuthering Heights.
然后他就被吓到了
And he was scandalised.
他也读过了? – 不
Had he read it? – No.
所以我就告诉他
So I told him that
索多玛:死海南岸的古城,据说因罪恶而被神所灭;蛾摩拉:罪恶之城,与索多玛城同被神毁灭
谴责一部他没有读过的小说 就好比前往索多玛城和蛾摩拉城
to condemn a novel he had not read would be like going to Sodom or Gomorrah
对于它们都不是费城而大失所望
and being disappointed that neither were Philadelphia.
我希望他能沉着镇定地一笑置之
I hope he had the presence of mind to laugh.
他并未如此
He didn’t.
他悄悄离去 然后气氛变得充斥着不言而喻的冒犯
He went very silent and the air became charged with unspoken profanity.
这太滑稽了
It was delicious.
现在 我得走了 巴芬小姐有个幽会
Now, I must go. Miss Buffam has a tryst.
这听上去很罪恶的样子 – 嗯
That sounds sinful. – Hm.
我曾经被一个神职人员告诫 我应该对自己的罪孽悔过
I was told once, by a clergyman, that I should repent my sins,
否则的话 我会被魔鬼追逐
otherwise I would be pursued by the Devil.
美国富国银行WELLS FARGO: 一家全球知名的金融机构,创立于1852年
“哦 一种精神上的富国银行” 我说
“Oh, a sort of spiritual Wells Fargo,” I said.
石碑上雕刻的忍♥耐女神:出自莎士比亚的《第十二夜》第二幕第四场,”She sat like a patience on a monument.”
他立刻就闭嘴了 就象石碑上雕刻的忍♥耐女神
He promptly went silent, like patience on a monument.
大惊失色却说不出话来
Appalled but dumb.
对于迷途的灵魂而言 是没有明天的
For the lost soul, there will be no tomorrow.
对于迷途的灵魂而言 有今天已经足够足够了
For the lost soul, today is quite enough.
哦 我会想你的 如果你离开了
Oh, I shall miss you if you ever go.
你的率真是极为高尚的
Your honesty is sublime.
从长♥期♥来看 率真不是最明智的做法
In the long term, honesty is not the best policy.
那么应该是欺诈咯? – 我更愿意称之为策略
Is dishonesty? – I prefer to call it diplomacy.
用那样的方法 一个人就可以把一次战术失败转变为一场胜利
That way, one can turn a tactical defeat into a victory.
谁提出来的? – 哦 我不知道
Who proposed that? – Oh, I don’t know.
华盛顿横渡特拉华河:是美国独♥立♥战争期间,乔治·华盛顿指挥的
一次横渡特拉华河的战役,被历史学家誉为一场扭转战局的伟大胜利
可能是乔治·华盛顿 当时他正在横渡特拉华河 以错误的方式
Probably George Washington as he was crossing the Delaware. The wrong way.
现在 我亲爱的 我得快点走了

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!