Now, my own, I must fly.
小心驾车 还有 别做任何令上帝不快的事
Drive carefully, and don’t do anything against God.
那么 我将不会再用约德尔调歌♥唱 – 非常明智
I’ll stop yodelling, then. – Very wise.
快点 潘登尼斯 趁又有新想法冒出来之前 赶紧走
Quickly, Pendennis. Before second thoughts set in.
哦 进来 艾米莉
Oh, come in, Emily.
要关上门吗? – 不用 开着就行
Shall I close the door? – No. Leave it open.
好美的音乐
It’s lovely to hear the music.
这让我回想起
It makes me recollect
当你父亲和我参加我们第一次的毕业舞会
when your father and I went to our first commencement ball.
都是许多年前的往事了
All those years ago.
这是我的妹妹拉维尼亚
This is my sister Lavinia.
不过所有人都叫我温妮
But everyone calls me Vinnie.
接着 这是我另一个妹妹 艾米莉
And this is my other sister, Emily.
然后 所有人都叫我拿破仑
And everyone calls me Napoleon.
艾米莉的嫂子苏珊·吉尔伯特也是艾米莉童年时的朋友
你回来了 还结婚了 还嫁给了一名律师
You come back married and a lawyer.
艾米莉的哥哥奥斯汀·狄金森 亦毕业于哈佛法学院
哈佛显然很适合你 奥斯汀
Harvard has clearly agreed with you, Austin.
更让人高兴的是 我们现在会成为邻居
Even more agreeable is that we now shall be neighbours.
苏珊和我会搬进隔壁的常青园
Susan and I are moving into The Evergreens, next door.
另一个意料之外!
Another thunderbolt!
不过却是最大的喜讯
But a most welcome one.
奥斯汀和我将会一起在律师行执业
Austin and I are to practise law. Together.
律师事务所招牌这个词 从来没有象今天听上去那么悦耳
Shingle has never sounded so lovely.
这么多惊喜还有完没完啦?
Is there no end to these wonders?
欢迎两位新人
I welcome you both.
我的儿子 和他迷人的新娘
My son and his lovely bride.
他非常讨人喜欢的新娘
His very lovely bride.
奥林匹斯山:是希腊神话中神的山,在希腊神话中它的地位相当于天堂,众神、半神和他们的仆人居住的地方
那么这才是所有这些喜事中最大的一件 母亲从奥林匹斯山上下来了
And this is the greatest wonder of all. Mother coming down from Mount Olympus.
哦…
Oh…
艾米莉说话 一如既往地有戏剧效果
Emily, as usual, dramatises.
我过着一种非常平静的生活
I live a very quiet life.
或许没人知道我还在这儿
No one would know I was here.
但是如果你不在 哦 你会在我们的生活中留下多大一片空白啊
But if you weren’t, oh, what a chasm you would leave.
蜜蜂在薰衣草间飞舞
Bees in the lavender
然后是懒懒的猫头鹰
Then the lazy owl
你会嫁人吗?
Will you marry?
我估计迟早我会嫁的
I suppose in time I shall.
这难道不是我们都会做的吗 终有一天?
Isn’t that what we all do, in the end?
我不知道
I don’t know.
我没法想象我与家人之外的人一起生活的样子
I can’t imagine myself beyond my family.
在陌生人中间
Amongst strangers.
你就是个奇特的家伙 我怀疑 你比我们任何人都更深奥
You are a strange creature, with more depth, I suspect, than any of us.
你怎么能这么说?我根本没有表露过那些
How can you say that? I haven’t demonstrated that at all.
哦 亲爱的 你不表露 你泄漏了
Oh, my dear, you don’t demonstrate, you reveal.
当你最终真的离开这里 你会写信给我吗?
When you eventually do go away, will you write?
我没有写长信的习惯
I do not possess the propensity for long correspondence.
我怀疑我的思想微不足道 – 但心肠很好
I suspect I have a trivial mind. – But a good heart.
别让感情模糊了你的判断力 艾米莉
Don’t let sentiment cloud your judgement, Emily.
万一我未来的丈夫让我失去活力
Should my future husband put me out of humour,
波吉亚家族:是15~16世纪影响整个欧洲的意大利贵族家庭,也是文艺复兴时期,仅次于美第奇家族
最著名的家族。波吉亚家族也是恶名的代称,是一个被财富、阴谋、毒药、乱♥伦♥的阴影笼罩着的家族
他会以为他娶了一个小型波吉亚家族的人
he will think he has married one of the minor Borgias.
你会嫁人吗?
Will you marry?
我只想和我的家人在一起
I only want my family.
他们并不完美
It is not perfect.
这个家庭也不是天堂
It is not Paradise.
但是这个家庭远远好过我能够知道的任何东西
But it is far better than anything I could know.
或者我想要的任何东西
Or want.
到你真的结婚的那个时候…
When you do marry…
我会想你的 – 你当然应当想我
I shall miss you. – Of course you shall miss me.
我拒绝被遗忘
I refuse to be forgotten.
艾米莉
Emily.
确保你已为明天的农产品品评会 准备好你烤制的面包
Make sure your bread is ready for the agricultural fair tomorrow.
好的 我没忘
Yes. I haven’t forgotten.
感觉肿起来了
They feel swollen.
它们肿起来了 就象我的脚
They are swollen, like my feet.
哦!
Oh!
啊!
Aah!
艾米莉小姐?
Miss Emily?
你们能帮我把面包从烤箱里拿出来吗?
Will you please get my bread out of the oven?
把它捡起来不需要你们三个人!
It doesn’t need all three of you to pick it up!
我相信 你昨天对托马斯 玛格丽特和麦姬 的说话方式很刺耳
I believe you spoke sharply to Thomas, Margaret and Maggie yesterday.
是的 父亲 – 对待他们的方式必须保持尊重
Yes, Father. – They must be treated with respect.
他们不是仆人 而是雇员
They are not servants, but employees.
为什么这么做?
What was that for?
为了您清晰无误地指出了这两个词之间的区别
For pointing out so eloquently the distinction between the two.
我昨天的表现非常不礼貌
I was very impolite yesterday.
我想对你们三位都表示抱歉
I would like to apologise to all three of you.
呃 我们并没有觉得被冒犯
Er, no offence taken.
那么 我是不是可以理解为 我被原谅了?
Then may I take it that I am forgiven?
因为我真的很抱歉
For I am truly sorry.
不过 我们也有好消息 小姐
But we have good news, miss.
你做的面包赢得了五美元
Your bread won five dollars.
那你们一定要把奖金自己留着 这样可以减轻我的内疚
Then you must keep the money. It will ease my conscience.
它得了二等奖
It took second prize.
哦 二等奖
Oh. Second prize.
做了爸爸感觉如何 奥斯汀?
What does it feel like to be a father, Austin?
犹如父亲一般
Fatherly.
我可以抱抱他吗?
May I hold him?
我们准备给他起名爱德华 – 简称 奈德
We’re calling him Edward. – Ned, for short.
我是无名小卒!你是谁?
I’m nobody! Who are you?
难道 你也是无名小卒?
Are you nobody, too?
那么我们就是一对儿了 — 不要说话!
Then there’s a pair of us – don’t tell!
他们会放逐我们 你知道
They’d banish us, you know.
成为某某人物有多无聊!
How dreary to be somebody!
大庭广众 象只青蛙
How public, like a frog
整日诉说某人的故事
To tell one’s name the livelong day
对着一片令人赞赏的沼泽!
To an admiring bog!
父亲?这是什么?
Father? What is it?
萨姆特堡战役:是美国南北战争时一场较不重要的战役,但正因为此役才令林肯决定向南方宣战,南北战争因此爆发
萨姆特堡遭到炮击
Fort Sumter has been fired upon.
这意味着什么?
What does this mean?
它被认为南方想要退出联邦
It is thought that the South will secede from the Union.
随后 它就意味着内战
Then it means civil war.
你是不是想说你打算被征募 奥斯汀?
Does this mean you will be drafted, Austin?
基本上是这样
Almost certainly.
你要留在这里
You will remain here.
但是 父亲 我的朋友们都会参加战斗 我不能留在家里
But, Father, my friends will fight. I cannot stay at home.
我会买♥♥500美元的债券 所以有人会入替你的位置去打仗
I will pay the $500 bond so that a substitute may fight in your place.
那么我的名声呢 先生? – 你的名声 先生 在我掌握之下无受损之虞
What about my honour, sir? – Your honour, sir, will be safe in my hands.
那我的良心呢 父亲?我的良心怎么办?
And my conscience, Father? What of that?
如果你的良心通过你履行作为子女的义务而获得抚慰 那才是最好的选择
It will be best if your conscience found solace in you doing your filial duty.
对于那些即将在内战中阵亡的人来说 “子女的义务”似乎显得特别得怯懦
For those who will die in this civil war, “filial duty” will seem like cowardice.
有教养的年轻人不会做此论断
No young man of breeding would make such a remark.
没有绅士会刺♥激♥这种情绪!
No gentleman would provoke it!
奥斯汀
Austin.
我只有你这么一个儿子
You are my only son.
我不能看着你置你的生命于危险而不顾
I cannot see your life put at risk.
求你了 父亲 别让我留下
Please, Father, don’t make me stay.
你不准走!我禁止你从军!
You are not to go! I forbid it!
我会留在这里
I will remain here.
呐喊着去战斗固然勇敢 — 但是我知道
To fight aloud, is very brave – But gallanter, I know
向心中的 哀愁骑士进攻 则更英勇 —
Who charge within the bosom The Cavalry of Woe –
胜了 不会有国人看见 —
Who win, and nations do not see –
倒下 — 也无人察觉 —
Who fall – and none observe
那将亡者的眼睛 不会有人带着爱国的热忱来凝视 —
Whose dying eyes, no Country Regards with patriot love –
我们相信 天使也如此 以一队羽毛嵯峨的行列离去 —
We trust, in plumed procession, For such, the Angels go –
一列一列 步履平静 — 白羽似雪
Rank after Rank, with even feet – And Uniforms of snow.
有一个词语 带着一把剑
There is a word Which bears a sword
能刺穿一个全副武装的人
Can pierce an armed man.
葛底斯堡战役:双方伤亡总数51,112人
它掷出有刺的音节 — 然后再次沉默
It hurls its barbed syllables, – And once is mute again.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!