“桃色案件”
“铁城”
嗨 托伊伯尔
Hi, Toybull.
看到你朋友刚驾车回城了 麦卡锡先生
Hey, your pal just drove into town, Mr. McCarthy.
再给我来一杯 托伊伯尔
I’ll have one more, Toybull.
恐怕我得明天才能付你酒钱
I’m afraid I’ll have to pay my bar bill tomorrow.
我信得过你 麦卡锡先生
You’re good with me, Mr. McCarthy.
谢谢你 托伊伯尔
Thank you, Toybull.
晚安 托伊伯尔
Good night, Toybull.
晚安 麦卡锡先生
Good night, Mr. McCarthy.
“保罗·比格勒 律师”
我是接线员
Operator.
接线员 给我接…
Operator, I want…
雷鸣湾489号♥
489 Thunder Bay.
我想和曼尼昂夫人通话
I want to speak to Mrs. Manion.
曼-尼-昂
M-A-N-I-O-N.
我是保罗·比格勒
This is Paul Biegler speaking.
铁城700号♥
Iron City 700.
那他们知道她什么时候会在呢?
Do they know when she’ll be there?
不 他们也不清楚
No, they don’t.
知道了 那就留个口信
I see. Just leave a message.
请她回这个电♥话♥
Tell her to call this number.
谢谢
Thank you.
你又想说什么呢 律师?
What do you say there, counselor?
省着点钱吧
Save your money.
牛皮纸袋里装的什么?
What’s in the brown paper bag?
可能是棵卷心菜吧
It might be a cabbage head.
我猜不是
Bet it wouldn’t be.
你是个很多疑的人
You’re a very suspicious man.
确实 我对牛皮纸袋里装的东西…
True, I’m everlastingly suspicious of…
一直是充满好奇的
and/or fascinated by…
并且总是被它迷得神魂颠倒的
the contents of brown paper bags.
我可以偷看一眼吗?
Shall I sneak a peek?
你看吧 律师
You do that, counselor.
反正你会看
You do that.
既然你已经偷看了 那么你就…
After you sneak a peek, why, you…
打开你看到的东西吧
uncork whatever you find.
-要替你倒点儿吗? -荣幸之至
-Shall I pour? -Be a privilege.
乐意效劳 先生
My pleasure, sir.
你和这个士兵单打独斗啊
You fought this soldier by yourself.
你一直在独斟独饮 保利
You’ve been drinking alone, Paulie.
我不喜欢你那样
I don’t like that.
放下你的石头 律师
Drop the stone, counselor.
你自己也住在玻璃房♥子里”咱们彼此彼此”
You live in a glass house.
我屋子的窗户很久以前就都被打破了
My windows have been busted long ago,
所以我想说什么就可以说什么
so I can say as I please.
想来根意大利雪茄吗?
Have an Italian cigar?
不 谢谢
No, thanks.
那些发出臭味的植物”抽雪茄”
Those stinkweeds are
是你堕落的另一个象征
another sign of your decadence.
保利 这是事实啊
Paulie, it’s a fact.
自从米奇·罗德威克将你
Since Mitch Lodwick beat you out of
挤出地方检察官办公室
the office of public prosecutor…
你就成了个废人
you haven’t been worth salt for peanuts.
当然我也理解你的感受
Not that I don’t understand how you feel.
一个人如果从他用了很久的
A man gets beat out of
办公室里被挤了出来
an office he’s held for a long time…
那么他会觉得遭到了圈内人的摒弃
he feels his community has deserted him.
他会觉得周围的人对他轻蔑地指指戳戳
The finger of scorn is pointed at him.
只有孤寂的心灵才会理解我的痛苦
None but the lonely hearts shall know my anguish.
保利 你是个出色的律师
Paulie, you’re a good lawyer.
你应该表现得像那么回事
You ought to make like one.
你应该呆在这儿 时刻准备为客户服务
Be here ready for clients,
而不是四处钓钓鱼 或演奏那些…
not out fishing and playing that…
唧唧歪歪的爵士乐
rooty-tooty jazz.
噢 我还是有谋生手段的
Oh, I’m making a living.
我♥干♥些非实质性的活儿…
I run a few abstracts…
时不时地给那些闹离婚的男女们提提建议
how to divorce Jane Doe from John Doe every once in a while.
或是对那些欠债不还的人给些警告
Threaten a few deadbeats.
而在夜里 我坐下来喝一杯波旁威士忌
And in the evening, I sit around and drink bourbon whisky
和帕内尔·埃米特·麦卡锡一起研习法律
and read law with Parnell Emmitt McCarthy…
他是个了不起的人
one of the world’s great men.
那可是对我的溢美之词 保利
That was a kind word, Paulie.
你知道…
You know…
我以前可能是还不错
I might have been.
这也是为什么我不愿意看到
That’s one of the reasons I hate to
你的才华被一些庸才所忽略的原因
see your talent pushed aside by lesser men.
我看着你 仿佛看到了多年以前的自己
I look at you, and I see myself years ago…
那时我也沉醉在那些年久发黄的书籍
with the same love for the smell of
所散发出的气味里
the old brown books…
和这样落满灰尘的办公室里
and the dusty office.
这些是我们的玫瑰
Here’s the rose.
我们的百合 我们亲爱的狼犬
A lily. A sweet lupine.
“美国最高法♥院♥报告”
The United States Supreme Court reports.
那么…
Well…
今晚我们读些什么呢 律师?
what shall we read this evening, counselor?
来点儿大♥法♥官霍尔姆斯的报告如何?
How about a little Chief Justice Holmes?
让大♥法♥官稍等一会儿 我可能有客户
Keep Chief Justice on hold for a moment. I might have a client.
我在等一个电♥话♥ 你好!
Waiting for a call. Hello?
比格勒先生吗?
Mr. Biegler?
噢 是的 我是保罗·比格勒
This is Paul Biegler speaking.
你当事人的电♥话♥
It’s your party.
-喂? 曼尼昂夫人吗? -什么?
-Hello? Mrs. Manion? -What?
比格勒先生?
Mr. Biegler?
抱歉刚才没能接通你 收到我的留言啦?
I’m sorry I missed you a while ago. Did you get my message?
那是谁? 叫什么名字?
Who is that? What is that name?
请稍等一会儿
Just a minute, please.
好像电♥话♥不太清楚 别挂掉
We seem to have a bad connection. Hold on.
是个女人叫曼尼昂 梅达说她想找我
It’s a woman, name of Manion. Maida took a message from her.
-住在雷鸣湾? -对 是的
-In Thunder Bay? -Uh-huh.
要是她想让你替他丈夫出庭就说”好的”
If she wants you to represent her husband, say yes.
可是我还不知道这是怎么回事
I don’t know what it’s all about.
当作你已经知道好了 先答应了她再说!
Pretend you do and say yes.
-喂? -比格勒先生?
-Hello? -Mr. Biegler?
噢 是的 现在好多了
Oh, yes. This is much better now.
是的 我听得很清楚
Yes, I can hear you fine.
整个下午我一直在等你的电♥话♥
I’ve waited for your call all afternoon.
噢 对不起 我才刚回来
Yes, well, I just got in a few moments ago,
你看到报上登的我丈夫的事儿了?
You’ve read about my husband?
毛毛 别这样
Muffy, please.
是的
Yes.
比格勒先生 你读过报上登的
Mr. Biegler, have you read
我丈夫的事情吗? 毛毛 别这样
about my husband? Muffy, please,
唔… 嗯 是的 我读了一些
Well, uh, yes, I have, a little.
你会为他辩护吗?
Will you defend him?
呃 我不知道
I don’t know.
我得再多了解一些情况
I’d have to know more about it.
你愿意和他谈谈吗?
Will you talk to him?
比格勒先生 他现在被关在县监狱
Mr. Biegler, he’s in the county jail.
明天上午你可以见他吗?
Will you see him in the morning?
他非常盼望能见到你
He’s very anxious to see you.
因为有人竭力向他推荐你
You’ve been so highly recommended.
是吗?
I have?
是的 有人向他提到的你
Yes, someone told him about you,
你愿意见他吗?
Will you see him?
好的 我想可以 我明天上午去见他
I suppose I could. I’ll see him tomorrow morning.
-你想让我也一起去吗? -那太好了
-Would you want me there too? -I think that’d be fine.
那就10点钟见吧
Let’s make it about 10:00.
谢谢 太谢谢你了!
Thank you, Thank you so much.
嗯 不用那么客气 再见
Yes, you’re quite welcome. Bye.
那么 这究竟是怎么回事?
Now, what’s this all about?
有个叫巴尼·奎尔的家伙

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!